Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Siochana FB Page

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

I have lost a lot of respect for the guards. Genuinely, I always wanted to be a guard and would have applied but for the recruitment freeze.

I have lost this respect solely due to me and my friends interactions with them around cannabis. I was caught with a small amount of weed and they are basically throwing the book at me.

Friend was caught in Bandon, Cork and he had 3 guards interrogating him like he was a major player. Not even joking he said they were so excited to have caught him with a bit of weed.

There is a whole generation of youth that is being criminalised due to their drug use. Thats a generation of respect lost.

Recent drug survey of students in Ireland showed more than half smoked cannabis in the past year. Higher levels than tobacco. They are alienating all these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

richy wrote: »
    Recent drug survey of students in Ireland showed more than half smoked cannabis in the past year. Higher levels than tobacco. They are alienating all these people.

Did they manage to find out what percentage managed to do it the privacy of their own home and not get hassled by anyone?

Just saw it made the LadBible page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Nodin wrote: »
    What would you say if that bag of weed was attacking your mother, or your sister? What good would your liberal agenda do you then?

It wouldn't have a chance as I'd get to it well before that happened and would have smoked it in plenty of time before it had any affect on my family.

I had an old friend back then that smoked it now and again and then he became a garda, No idea whether he still smokes it now though. Was at a party in the year 2000 and a friend of mine invited her other friends over as well and they where in garda college but they enjoyed smoking it as well and it was a great night for all, no trouble obviously but it just shows you that folk no matter who they are indulge in a bit of cannabis the odd time. It happens in all walks of life.

• Advertisement

I had an old friend back then that smoked it now and again and then he became a garda, No idea whether he still smokes it now though. Was at a party in the year 2000 and a friend of mine invited her other friends over as well and they where in garda college but they enjoyed smoking it as well and it was a great night for all, no trouble obviously but it just shows you that folk no matter who they are indulge in a bit of cannabis the odd time. It happens in all walks of life.

Just dont get caught. Then they will **** ya

Just dont get caught. Then they will **** ya

Well if a person is selling cannabis then they know that if they are caught they will be arrested and charged obviously because at this time it is still illegal.

Smoking it in your own home is your own business once it doesn't affect anyone else, sure how could it in your own home. Until new cannabis legislation comes in it will be illegal. Hopefully a few more politicians will work towards legalisation in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The police in the UK don't really bother with cannabis. That can't be the real Facebook page for the gaurds. The Dalkey House of Horrors child abuse case is in the news again. Do they not think nabbing small amounts of a relatively harmless (relative to alcohol) drug is bordering on cretinous?

Ah stop. That's what makes this thing a big joke. I went out with a gaurd and her sister used to be off her face on ketamine and MDMA at parties. Some gaurds must be feeling a bit thick after a post like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

What's the problem? The fact they took it off somebody or the fact they posted it online? Either way, I could care less. I hate the way people act like there's only about five guards in the entire country and they made this seizure a priority over something like catching a rapist.

• Advertisement

Let the alcohol bottle interview each man-made drug to see how they react shall we in a way most folk will understand.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    What's the problem? The fact they took it off somebody or the fact they posted it online? Either way, I could care less. I hate the way people act like there's only about five guards in the entire country and they made this seizure a priority over something like catching a rapist.

TBH it's ridiculous if they made it a priorty over scratching their backside. I was back in Ireland over New Years and the amount of drunken a-holes starting fights in Temple Bar and the gaurds just walking by and then we see they actually stopped someone for having a less harmful drug? Jesus guys get in the real world.

Its still growing. Some comments are now at over 4k likes. I would love to know how they are taking it in HQ (if they even realise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

GFT wrote: »
    C'mon, do you honestly believe nabbing someone with a half gram of weed is "job well done"? I'd count it as someone now with a conviction against their name and their life ruined. This is how most career criminals start. Something like this can't be removed from somebodies record therefore disqualifying them from most jobs.

Resentment is widespread for a reason.

Are you suggesting Gardaí should be allowed change the law or that they should only enforce the laws they want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

"Why are you here giving me a ticket when there are people being murdered?" That's a quote from someone who was parked on a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

"Estimated street value of twenty grand I suppose"

Haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Are you suggesting Gardaí should be allowed change the law or that they should only enforce the laws they want to?

Hummm. I used to accompany police in UK on raids and searches in the 90s and early 2000s. Anything like that was found was just flushed down the pan in front of the suspect.

Their answer was that if it went to court the person would mostly get a conditional discharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hummm. I used to accompany police in UK on raids and searches in the 90s and early 2000s. Anything like that was found was just flushed down the pan in front of the suspect.

Their answer was that if it went to court the person would mostly get a conditional discharge.

Generally a small amount such as that is taken and overlooked in exchange for information.

Gardai have discretion. I know people caught with small amounts of cannabis and nothing happened. I know people caught with a small amount and went to court. So they already do choose. Did you hear about the gardai and the strippers recently?

Waste of time and criminalising youth.
    cronin_j wrote: »
    Generally a small amount such as that is taken and overlooked in exchange for information.

Basically, they threaten you, your career and any future travel plans. Disgusting IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Well yeah, the fact we spend God knows how much in resources detaining, arresting and convicting people for possession of small amounts of flowers that grow out of the ground is stupid in the extreme. The fact that the cops then take a perverse pride in advertising the fact they seized a tiny bag of rubbish cannabis is what's galling some people.

"Look at us, aren't we great lads. A bag of dust and a grinder, job well done!"

Glad to see them getting ridiculed for this, it's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well yeah, the fact we spend God knows how much in resources detaining, arresting and convicting people for possession of small amounts of flowers that grow out of the ground is stupid in the extreme. The fact that the cops then take a perverse pride in advertising the fact they seized a tiny bag of rubbish cannabis is what's galling some people.

"Look at us, aren't we great lads. A bag of dust and a grinder, job well done!"

Glad to see them getting ridiculed for this, it's ridiculous.

In fairness I think people getting offended by this are as bad as those who get offended by people smoking abit of weed.....

As I know from what I seen linked off the gaurds Twitter page (assume it's same section running Facebook page???)
    It's as much for the craic as anything and to improve the gaurds image......not worth getting high (Hehe) and mighty over??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Surprised it made it to the station tbh. Was at a Garda's house over the Christmas (relative of a friend), drink selection was a mix of odd cans of Karpackie, Bavaria, alcopops etc. All stuff confiscated from young lads as explained by the man himself.

Yep like the police over here (London) do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Gardai have discretion. I know people caught with small amounts of cannabis and nothing happened. I know people caught with a small amount and went to court. So they already do choose. Did you hear about the gardai and the strippers recently?

Waste of time and criminalising youth.
    IMO

I think you ll find that a particular long haired smelly td from wexford put an ed to garda discretion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well they already do that. What we suggest is that they might prioritise resources, in terms of their time and the courts time, in relation to the scale of the offence committed.

The UK police generally turn a blind eye to it. Effectively de-criminalising it in some jurisdictions. Giving a kid a record over this is the actions of a lowlife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The UK police generally turn a blind eye to it. Effectively de-criminalising it in some jurisdictions. Giving a kid a record over this is the actions of a lowlife.

but at what point does this "kid" get a record ?

After he first get caught or the second time ? or forth ?

the Uk tried the decriminalized thing for a short period a few years ago and reverted on it because of health and political pressure

I do agree with very limited and tightly controlled and properly regulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mynamejeff wrote: »
    but at what point does this "kid" get a record ?

After he first get caught or the second time ? or forth ?

the Uk tried the decriminalized thing for a short period a few years ago and reverted on it because of health and political pressure

I do agree with very limited and tightly controlled and properly regulated.

The latter. Gordon Browns inner Presbyterian got the better of him. You might recall they got rid of a few members of the advisory body until it got sense and gave the advice they were told to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The whole "discretion thing" is a minefield. The Guards have discretion regarding whether to seize your vehicle for road tax. One of my neighbours was told "get it taxed" - his tax was 3 months out. Another, a mother with 4 kids including a baby, were hoofed out & had to get a taxi home. Their tax was 2 months out.

This happened at the same checkpoint.

I was astonished when an elderly neighbour commented that she wouldn't p*** on a Guard if he was on fire. The Guards can only police with the support of the public. Focussing on small amount of cannabis & tax disks whilst people are being beaten up & robbed isn't going to endear them to the pubic.

I have been stopped by the Guards & the English police. The difference is that the English have a sense of humour. The Guards are locked in an army mentality of Corps & Barracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Discodog wrote: »

I have been stopped by the Guards & the English police. The difference is that the English have a sense of humour. The Guards are locked in an army mentality of Corps & Barracks.

God help you if you get stopped by a woman guard. They must down a bottle of vinegar and a couple of lemons before each shift.

Advertisement