Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please critique my diet/exercise - feeling awful

Options
  • 02-01-2016 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am badly seeking advice on my diet/exercise regime. I have been feeling awful within myself the last few weeks. Symptoms such as chronic constipation, pounding headaches, daily dizzy spells, muscle fatigue, no energy etc have been plaguing me.

Profile:

Age 28
    Weight: 62kg
    Height: 183 cm
    Non-smoker/drinker

Gym:

7 days per week. 45 mins on the cross-trainer - burning approx. 400kcal followed by a full body routine of 4 x 2 supersets with light weights. For example, I would S/S Leg press with standing shoulder press, dips with leg extensions, goblet squat with push-up etc. Finishing off with core/abs The routine takes 1hr 30mins.

Diet:

Breakfast: 70g of oats with berries, flaxseed, cinnamon and a good amount of milk, maybe 2/200ml

Lunch: Some form of sandwich with either 2 eggs or 90g turkey or tinned tuna/salmon, spinach, salad, avocado etc

Snacks before dinner: Banana, apple

Dinner: 75g Brown rice or 110g Brown pasta with tons of veg and a meat/fish - usually 200g of chicken or 240g salmon or 220g steak or 250g white fish

Bedtime: 100g - 150g Glenisk/Fage Yogurt with sugar free jelly. I struggle to eat the yogurt before bed if I am honest.

Drinking a lot of water as well. Min 2/3 litres.

I also take a walk in the morning for 20mins around the estate before breakfast and one before dinner.

Any thoughts? My aim is just to feel better again within myself. No specific strength/fitness goals as such

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Go to your doctor. It might be your diet, it might be something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Whats your goal, what are you working towards? You don't weigh that much, maybe ease off on so much cardio, and don't be afraid to take a day off. Why do you do supersets of light weights?
    Use a tracking app like myfitnesspal, and spend a week weighing every thing you eat to get a good idea of how many calories you are taking on board every day, you could be over estimating how much your eating, so under eating. From there, look up what your maintenance calories should be every day. I think you should try to pack on some weight though, especially since you say you're not training towards any specific goal.
    It doesn't hurt to go to a doctor too if you're feeling those sort of physical issues, just to be sure everything is all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Your diet looks clean but I'd say your not eating enough of it for doing nearly 2 hrs of excersise a day.
    Take a break from the gym too and go see a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Why exactly are you going to the gym 7 days a week? And are you doing that routine every day?

Your diet doesn't seem to be that bad, but you don't seem to be giving your body any time to recover. Most beginner programs would only be 3-4 days a week and even then, would usually exercise the same body area 2-3 times per week max.

I would recommend following some sort of program. But if you have no specific fitness goals, then at the very least, split it up somehow. For example, do half your body parts twice a week, your other half twice a week and leave it at that.

And of the exercises you listed, do some pulling movements. Looks like you have no pulling movements in there. You should do something for the upper back, i.e. lat pulldowns, seated rows, dumbbell shrugs, face pulls. If you don't squat or deadlift, then something like hyperextensions or glute/ham raises would be good pulling movements for the lower body. Supersetting a push with a pull movement makes them less taxing on the CNS (IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I forgot to mention my method of transport is a bicycle, so more cardio!

No goals, specifically. I just want to feel well again.

The reason for the S/S is that I like to get in and get out.

For pull movements I do some lat pulldowns and inverted rows

The reason for 7 days a week is because I suffer from an illness, which also prevents me from lifting heavy weights. I probably don't need to go 7 days per week, but I am not doing much else these days.

• Advertisement

The reason for 7 days a week is because I suffer from an illness, which also prevents me from lifting heavy weights. I probably don't need to go 7 days per week, but I am not doing much else these days. Yes, same routine every day, drives me mad tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

GeneralC wrote: »

The reason for 7 days a week is because I suffer from an illness, which also prevents me from lifting heavy weights. I probably don't need to go 7 days per week, but I am not doing much else these days. Yes, same routine every day, drives me mad tbh!

Your not taking in enough fuel I reckon. But still, unless you've changed something recently, these symptoms shouldn't have started overnight.
    Go to your gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Big hungry bear

7 days a week is too often to be training, especially if you're training for 1.5 hours which is a very long workout! Rest is as important as exercise, cut it down to 5 times a week and alternate muscle groups giving your body a chance to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

You are eating sensibly, although I think you are not getting enough raw fruits and veg for natural sugars and nutrients.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hi. I'd say u need to relax ur exercise routine and also reduce water intake. U may b leeching out the vitamins and minerals. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Whatever else, give yourself some recovery days.
    Might also be worth checking if you have a milk/dairy allergy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Jeez man, eat more and train less. Fibre will help the constipation. Rest and food will sort everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Seems like very little fuel for a fairly hectic week, what is the purpose of your training? If you just want to feel healthy you don't need to train that intensely, 3 days cardio with two days light weight/resistance training would have the same effect but be a lot easier on your body

Edit: also from your post, are you following the same diet everyday? If so your missing out on a lot of nutrients, you need lots of different types of foods in moderation to maintain all the vitamins, irons, amino acids etc that your body needs.

I am now 61.7kg. I use to be around the 75-81kg up until finding out about some bad news.

My water intake is very very high, way more than the average actually. Sometimes I drink up to 4ish litres Could this be affecting my electrolytes?

My fruit/veg is also very high. I eat berries, banana, apple, broccoli, kale, asparagus, avocado, spinach, sweetcorn, green beens, carrots etc.. on a daily routine.

The salt I would get would be from bread, seeded bread at that, dijon mustard and beetroot/sweetcorn/tuna/deli turkey.

Yes, I am following the same diet everyday. I just mix my meats for dinner/lunch. Apart from that it's pretty much the same.

I was considering ditching dairy milk for almond milk in the morning because I am asleep after my porridge.

I only recently got a comprehensive blood test from my GP and he said everything looks good. He's putting it down to anxiety/stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

I am now 61.7kg. I use to be around the 75-81kg up until finding out about some bad news.

My water intake is very very high, way more than the average actually. Sometimes I drink up to 4ish litres Could this be affecting my electrolytes?

My fruit/veg is also very high. I eat berries, banana, apple, broccoli, kale, asparagus, avocado, spinach, sweetcorn, green beens, carrots etc.. on a daily routine.

The salt I would get would be from bread, seeded bread at that, dijon mustard and beetroot/sweetcorn/tuna/deli turkey.

Yes, I am following the same diet everyday. I just mix my meats for dinner/lunch. Apart from that it's pretty much the same.

I was considering ditching dairy milk for almond milk in the morning because I am asleep after my porridge.

I only recently got a comprehensive blood test from my GP and he said everything looks good. He's putting it down to anxiety/stress.

For someone training that much 4l of water isn't excessive at all so I wouldn't put it down to that, and if your consuming that much fruit and veg it kinda throws my other theory out the window, have you tried calorie counting to see how much energy your taking on board every day? The size of a dinner of say chicken, rice, and veg can be the difference in 500cal so portion sizes have to be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Has your doctor cleared you to train like this following illness? If so, do they know how much you are training and the fuel your are consuming? This is more important than any other advice here. How long have you been training like this?

Saying that, if i was to read your program and diet without looking at other factors, it would look like chronic over training, over training the same parts of your body and inadequate fuel. Your body is screaming at you for rest, refuel and rehydration.

Read about how muscles grow from weight training. One of the key components is resting the muscle. It's why people have "leg/arms day".

Four days a week is plenty. Find something else to fill the other days if you need, yoga, longer cycles, running?

You want to take care of yourself but you are possibly doing the opposite the way you are training.

ixus wrote: »
    Has your doctor cleared you to train like this following illness? If so, do they know how much you are training and the fuel your are consuming? This is more important than any other advice here. How long have you been training like this?

Saying that, if i was to read your program and diet without looking at other factors, it would look like chronic over training, over training the same parts of your body and inadequate fuel. Your body is screaming at you for rest, refuel and rehydration.

Read about how muscles grow from weight training. One of the key components is resting the muscle. It's why people have "leg/arms day".

Four days a week is plenty. Find something else to fill the other days if you need, yoga, longer cycles, running?

You want to take care of yourself but you are possibly doing the opposite the way you are training.

Well, my doc has no objections to me doing cardio and light weights, but I know I do more than I should.

I've had a headache now for 4 days and I look yellow, yes, yellow!

I totally agree, my body is definitely looking for rest. I feel anxious, tired, lethargic, sore. I am also very snappy and narky.

Breakfast:

70kg oats with berries/flaxseed/milk

Lunch:

Turkey Sandwich salad bowl

Dinner:

240g salmon with tons of veg and 5/6 new baby potatoes

Snacks:

Apple, Banana

Bedtime:

I'll have some Fage yogurt with sugar free jelly

Exercise:

My morning 20-25 mins walk around the estate

Gym session including my 45 mins cardio on the cross-trainer

Evening walk of 15 mins or so

Cycling to/from the gym, shops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You need to eat more. You're the same height as me and less than 62 kg. At my worst, I didn't go below 65.

Eat more food. Ease off on the exercise.

You need to eat more. You're the same height as me and less than 62 kg. At my worst, I didn't go below 65.

Eat more food. Ease off on the exercise.

I am finding it very hard to eat what I am having at the moment tbh.

• Advertisement

I am finding it very hard to eat what I am having at the moment tbh.

If eating relatively small amounts is all you can manage, then you need to up the calorie density so that you get enough on board.

I appreciate it might be tough to eat much if you're dealing with a lot of stress/anxiety but you need to look after yourself and fuel your body adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you look yellow, I would advise you very strongly to go to a doctor first thing in the morning.

fits wrote: »
    If you look yellow, I would advise you very strongly to go to a doctor first thing in the morning.

Two people made comment on the colour of my skin today. It's a bit worrying when you have chronic headaches for four days and people telling you that you look yellow!

Any idea what the colour change might indicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Ninety minutes a day in the gym, seven days a week with no changes. Cycling to and from the gym. Walking for another 35-40 minutes. You're doing far, far too much for the amount of calories you're consuming. If you want to train as frequently possible, give yourself at least one rest day and switch up your routine so you're not hitting the same muscles two days in a row.

If you're suffering chronic constipation, daily dizzy spells, pounding headaches and muscle fatigue, for the love of God take the hint your body is giving you. Stop training seven days a week and eat more. You're right at the low end of a healthy bodyweight; you don't need 45 minutes of hard cardio and another hour of walking and cycling seven days a week.

Two people made comment on the colour of my skin today. It's a bit worrying when you have chronic headaches for four days and people telling you that you look yellow!

Any idea what the colour change might indicate?

Sounds like jaundice which is basically a result of blood waste not been long cleared out of the system. I would definitely go get it seen to ASAP.

I went to my GP several weeks ago and he spotted the colour of my skin. He made no remark about it but gave me nutritional drinks at the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I went to my GP several weeks ago and he spotted the colour of my skin. He made no remark about it but gave me nutritional drinks at the time.

See another doctor, eat more, exercise less.

Go to another doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How much water do you drink per day?
    As well as what others have said, some of your symptoms may be as a result of dehydration.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    How much water do you drink per day?
    As well as what others have said, some of your symptoms may be as a result of dehydration.

I drink a lot of water. I would guess around between 3-4 litres per day. Pissing like a camel.

Advertisement