Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry January?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

In reality it's a glorified massive piss up

This can be applied to pretty much every social occasion in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

BKWDR wrote: »
    You need to know when you can handle going to an event in a bar and be sober , as i said in this post , you need to plan ahead. Put some control in place which will stop you from drinking, driving being the #1! Don't get in rounds and make it clear that you are not drinking tonight and be mentally strong to back it up and politely refuse a drink and accept the slagging that might come with it. Again their problem , not yours!

I myself have a couple of things coming up so i'm not going dry in February but if there is a thread on it i might jump on board!
    Im away a weekend and like you i have my club teams night out half way through the month. You can have a blow out every now and then, but the time you spent not drinking makes you reflect or think about the times you are drinking to excess too many times in a row.

I will still go out and maybe not drink as much but im going to have a good time and enjoy myself. But its the time i spent not drinking that makes me appreciate not drinking during the week, appreciate how better my body is at training when i've not been drinking, how a better sleeper i am.

If you can't go sober, dont beat yourself up about it. You are better off realising 'yeah i'll have a few drinks at this occasion' and try your best to make sure it doesnt spiral into a 3 day session than just setting yourself up to fail anyways. Like i said previously sometimes its harder to drink in moderation than it is totally quit!

i think you are totally right here - I guess that is what I was alluding to in my own post. When your dry, you have the mind frame - and all that goes with it.. but then when your not, its like your defenses are down. But hopefully I will learn some way of combatting that... but when not on the dry, its so easy for nights with booze to add up - as someone said, events in Ireland are so often in conjunction with alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Family across today with alcohol & I had a test for College placement today - I had my first real stressy day & really wanted to lash a pint into me.

Didn't & survived lol

Family across today with alcohol & I had a test for College placement today - I had my first real stressy day & really wanted to lash a pint into me.

Didn't & survived lol

Off to bed and unless someone breaks into my house & puts a funnel into my gob and somehow gets a can of beer down my throat...... I'll have done a complete month off the gargle.

Go wan ya boy ya!

• Advertisement

*double post*

Happening to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Congrats to everyone that kept their dry January :-) You made a great start to the year and your liver will be thanking you for it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Well done to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if you have to do this you have a problem

You could be right there but I guess you just said that to annoy people - good for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 alittlescared

Fantastic input.

Well done to everyone on the dry month!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

my house mate had a bottle of red wine on the go last night and offered a glass.. I had no inclination at all.. whereas normally I would - esp as we were having beef bourguignon for dinner..
    Its mad how you loss the craving for it having cut it out for a while.. well, that was the case for me last night anyway

I should just stay off it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Giving it up for January or giving it up for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You could be right there but I guess you just said that to annoy people - good for you :)
    not at all, the whole thing just hammers home that drink is a legal high, with dependency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DryFiona

Didn't we do well :) Hope you all feel as pleased as I do . Thanks to all ( well, nearly all;) for words of wisdom & encouragement along the way :)

DryFiona wrote: »
    Didn't we do well :) Hope you all feel as pleased as I do . Thanks to all ( well, nearly all;) for words of wisdom & encouragement along the way :)

Fair play Fiona :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I didn't have to do it, I chose to.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Congrats to you all, you should be proud of yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Staying away from the pub for January can be for many reasons.

Saving money, losing Xmas weight etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

We made it! 31 days with no wine, who'd have thunk it. Am so pleased I did it. I had a very small glass of wine Monday night to celebrate and didn't even feel like finishing it. I actually threw out the rest of it and the bottle.

I know I will still get cravings like last week but I know now if I distract myself it will pass. My moods play a big part in it too, when I am having a bad day I need something to see me over it instead of reaching for the wine to numb the feelings.

Been going to the gym frequently too so that really helps. I have no nights out planned till early March so going to try a dry February! This weekend will be the big test.

Well done everyone and a big thanks to the posters here, you have all made it that little bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I have had a problem moderating my drinking for the past few years. It's sort of crept up on me. Doing this has really been helpful for me.

Did you post here just to point the finger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Bad weekend with booze but I've been off it more this January than I've been in the last 15 years or so so it's not all bad. Starting again today going to try and stay clean till the end of February when I have a trip away. I feel so rough at work right now and I'm sick to death of this feeling and the damage I'm doing myself. Well done all who did better than me though but I think this is a lifetime project for me and not just January :(

Had 4 Beers & they're feeling like a bottle of Vodka.

Lets hope I never go back to the same abuse.

Well done all.

Had 4 Beers & they're feeling like a bottle of Vodka.

Lets hope I never go back to the same abuse.

Well done all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

We'll done everyone great work, for those who want to stay of drinking fair play to you for those who want to to have a few fair play to you to, it's all down to us as individual as in what we choose to do...

Might even be worthwhile for someone to start a February thread? or continue in this one.

Regardless of, as realies said, if you are abstaining or just cutting back a bit. It's a great resource to chat or get a bit of support along the way

Might even be worthwhile for someone to start a February thread? or continue in this one.

Regardless of, as realies said, if you are abstaining or just cutting back a bit. It's a great resource to chat or get a bit of support along the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

So I stumbled a few times in January but I haven't had a drink or a smoke in a week now and I'm having a great Saturday so far. If anything my not so dry January at least convinced me I can go weekends without booze and have tee total stretches for a while.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

So I stumbled a few times in January but I haven't had a drink or a smoke in a week now and I'm having a great Saturday so far. If anything my not so dry January at least convinced me I can go weekends without booze and have tee total stretches for a while.

I had my first few pints in a month this weekend, and while the hangover was no worse than a usual hangover - I noticed so much more.

Maybe the next move is to give it up for lent starting on Wednesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Same here, successfully completed Dry January and had my first couple of drinks this weekend.

I'll be giving up for Lent as well.
    Something I'd done in the past so should be easy enough.
    I'm happy to continue like this and keep moving forward. I really do wanna concentrate on my diet and healthy lifestyle rather than enjoy an occasional drink.

Alcohol makes you alcoholic.
    Fanta makes you fantastic.

Advertisement