Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry January?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

That's what I said earlier on in the month. You will surprise yourself about how you feel about the weekends at the end. That big p1ss up you had planned for the first weekend in Feb or whatever it was, now the air of smugness has you thinking you don't need to drink. Just reflect on how you thought this was an impossible task 25 days ago!!!

To form a habit they say you must do or stop whatever it is for 21 days. We are through the looking glass now!

That's what I said earlier on in the month. You will surprise yourself about how you feel about the weekends at the end. That big p1ss up you had planned for the first weekend in Feb or whatever it was, now the air of smugness has you thinking you don't need to drink. Just reflect on how you thought this was an impossible task 25 days ago!!!

To form a habit they say you must do or stop whatever it is for 21 days. We are through the looking glass now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭sporina

i was off the alcohol too for most of Jan - had one of two slips... 3 beers on one occasion and 1 on another..

defo feel better for it.. and almost been relieved in a way that i didn't have to drink - if you know what i mean..

one thing that I have realised for sure though is how drink can be such a habit..

its so easy to think "sat night = alcohol".. fri night - finish work = alcohol.. sun eve maybe a take out "hair of the dog".. the unhealthy association with all these things..

because i said i was not gonna drink for Jan, the fri, sat sunday night didn't bother me alcohol free - as i said, it was almost a relief knowing i was not gonna be drinking.. sounds silly but its true - for me anyway..

anyway it has shown me how "man takes drink, drink takes drink, drink takes man".. well in theory anyway..

I guess its a state of mind..

I have two nights in Feb where I will drink - parties already planned and have them in my head, but apart from that, I think I will abstain for Lent too..

so technically, its one week where alcohol will be had (party no 1).. and then off it for 7 weeks (bar Valentines night - party no 2)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Still on the wagon, no slipups which I can't believe myself really.

"Bet ya you can't wait to mill your first gargle Chris on the 1st?" is the constant question now..... I honestly don't feel I want to do that & want to continue on with this.

Mind feels sharp, apparently my missus sleeps great now due to me not snoring whatsover now..... Enjoying my kids much more than ever before. It's been an eye-opener - I urge anyone to start now, just do it the benefits to your life are endless.

The results in the gym have excelled due to no alcohol, it's quite insane how drink slows everything down.

Good times

*double post*

• Advertisement

Still on the wagon, no slipups which I can't believe myself really.

"Bet ya you can't wait to mill your first gargle Chris on the 1st?" is the constant question now..... I honestly don't feel I want to do that & want to continue on with this.

Mind feels sharp, apparently my missus sleeps great now due to me not snoring whatsover now..... Enjoying my kids much more than ever before. It's been an eye-opener - I urge anyone to start now, just do it the benefits to your life are endless.

The results in the gym have excelled due to no alcohol, it's quite insane how drink slows everything down.

Good times

That's great to hear. It does change your attitude the further the month goes on!

Something i find helps on months that i am not 'on the dry' especially at weekends is making plans for early saturday / sunday morning and even better if it is with a friend you don't want to let down. I have gaa training on Sunday mornings but on saturdays i always either commit to a Park Run which starts at 930am or a cycle with a buddy which has an early start, really encourages you to keep that clear head!

BKWDR wrote: »
    That's great to hear. It does change your attitude the further the month goes on!

Something i find helps on months that i am not 'on the dry' especially at weekends is making plans for early saturday / sunday morning and even better if it is with a friend you don't want to let down. I have gaa training on Sunday mornings but on saturdays i always either commit to a Park Run which starts at 930am or a cycle with a buddy which has an early start, really encourages you to keep that clear head!

I went the gym twice this month on a Sunday...... SUNDAY!!! That has never happened, usually I'm nursing a vicious hangover and dying for a fry lol

21 years with 90 + % Sunday hangovers has had its day, the way I look at that is I'm lucky I wasn't hospitalized, 5am drinking sessions, drinking everything and anything is over for me please god.

The only thing I can honestly say is that this month reading into how your body actually deals with alcohol and it's effects on it after that, has honestly opened my eyes and truthfully gave me a kick in the arse. Binging twice-weekly must have done damage, the only thing I can do now though is try to fix it.

Luckily the liver is a remarkable organ & can completely reverse the damage done. I've been a lucky bas*ard truthfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I slipped up twice this month but apart from that it's been great. Like Chris I've been at the gym on Saturdays and Sundays too. I've been up early at the weekends and able to sleep on a weekend night without having to drink tonnes of beer to calm down. Physically I feel healthier than ever. So clean and exercise seems so easy now. Also I have smoked maybe 3 times this month as opposed to 4 or 5 times a week. I may go to a party on Saturday night which will be pretty messy but even if I do I'll take another couple of weeks off after. I won't give up completely but long stretches without it seems to be the way forward for me.

this thread is great - i think i need to read it from the start though..

For me, i feel awful after alcohol - mentally, because, I know how bad it is for us; the fact that one wakes up groggy, tired etc is physical evidence of this. And then alcohol is a depressant in itself so this compounds that fact.
    It is great to wake up without that guilt.

Also, it kinda shows so weak we are as humans (sorry to tar us all with the same brush).. but how many times have you said or heard others say, "oh i feel ****.. never drinking again, or, not gonna drink for x no. of days/weeks.." yet we do... a slave to alcohol..

I do not think that the general population realise how controlling alcohol is... and i am not talking about Alcoholic's... a lot of us have bad relationships with alcohol - one does not need to be having DT's to feel its effects

what ye think?

I won't give up completely but long stretches without it seems to be the way forward for me.

That's exactly how I wanna roll pal, well done btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 alittlescared

That's exactly how I wanna roll pal, well done btw.

Me too. I know of 6 times this year that I will probably have a drink. I'll be teetotal outside of these

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

As i get older (late twenties now) the hangovers have worsened. It's not so much the actual hangover the next day - them i actually can actually deal with pretty well but it's the following day or 2 with the second day being the worst. I feel tired, sad and my thoughts become extremely negative. It's much more of a mental toll these days.

Congrats to everyone that has manged to stay dry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    As i get older (late twenties now) the hangovers have worsened. It's not so much the actual hangover the next day - them i actually can actually deal with pretty well but it's the following day or 2 with the second day being the worst. I feel tired, sad and my thoughts become extremely negative. It's much more of a mental toll these days.

Congrats to everyone that has manged to stay dry!

Exactly same for me although I'm 35. The next day hangover is fine but it's the 2 or 3 days after that really suck. I could never understand people who are hungover after a session so they go to bed early, sleep for 11 hours and feel brand new the next day. I can't sleep for days and it takes maybe 4 days to fully recover from a session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I am really struggling today after being so smug at the weekend for not drinking. I have not cracked yet but I am so close to going out and getting a bottle of wine this evening. I am in a terrible mood and I have no idea why. I do feel so much better for not drinking and I don't want to go back to my old habits, but have been totally taken by surprise at this knockback. I had been doing so well and all I can think of this evening is how much I want just one glass of red wine.

homeOwner wrote: »
    I am really struggling today after being so smug at the weekend for not drinking. I have not cracked yet but I am so close to going out and getting a bottle of wine this evening. I am in a terrible mood and I have no idea why. I do feel so much better for not drinking and I don't want to go back to my old habits, but have been totally taken by surprise at this knockback. I had been doing so well and all I can think of this evening is how much I want just one glass of red wine.

Just chill with a large coffee & remember how well you've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

Feeling a bit twitchy myself tonight, I reckon it's because we're so close to month's end.
    I'd love a beer or a glass of red right now but I'll hold off.

CPL 593H

Already changed into my PJs so I am not tempted to go out. Stocked up on bread and milk earlier so there would be no reason to go out to the shops this evening! Grrrrrr. Thought this feeling of really wanting a glass of wine would have gone by now.
    Thanks for the support. I am going to make a cup of tea.

Already changed into my PJs so I am not tempted to go out. Stocked up on bread and milk earlier so there would be no reason to go out to the shops this evening! Grrrrrr. Thought this feeling of really wanting a glass of wine would have gone by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

^^ I find it's generally down to boredom, get out a go for a walk/cycle/run in the evenings. If you have a sedentary job then I think it's a must as the brain will be going ninety so to speak.

have you abstained all Jan? If so, you don't wanna ruin it now. Really.. try taking deep breaths - the whole way in and out... and think of what your body really needs/wants.. be good to you.. if you are in the bad mood, thats exactly when you should not drink. And think of how you will only feel worse tomorrow.

We are here so moan away rather than looking for solace in a wine glass:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 DryFiona

'The final hurdle is no higher than the rest , but it feels like it '

Yes , I've been finding the last couple of days pretty hard too , but I don't want to sacrifice the huge sense of achievement I know I'll feel on Feb 1 .

Bring it on :)

I'm going for a second month.

Wish me luck

*double post yet again*

DryFiona wrote: »
    'The final hurdle is no higher than the rest , but it feels like it '

Yes , I've been finding the last couple of days pretty hard too , but I don't want to sacrifice the huge sense of achievement I know I'll feel on Feb 1 .

Bring it on :)

Feb 1st being a Monday might be a saving grace for lots of people who want to continue on without drink.

That's my catapult to get me to drive on for another month without it anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Anyone up for dry February / Dry Lent?

yourpics wrote: »

i am breaking the fast till feb 15th - will miss the 1st week of lent

i have 2 parties in the first half of feb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

I'm going for a second month.

Wish me luck
    yourpics wrote: »

I am going to try too I think guys! Today is my 32nd day off it and I'm happy with how Dry January went. Lately I've been put on a strong antibiotic for a couple of months for a health issue, and alcohol should really be cut out or done in moderation to keep the drug effective. I've never been someone that can drink 1 or 2 drinks so I'll probably try stay sober to try cure the issues I'm having, was partly one of the reasons I cut down.

It is very hard though as a young man in Ireland to cut out alcohol. Everyone I know is a drinker and alot of them are heavy drinkers. I've grown apart from some friends, and rarely see others. When you take a step back and see how many peoples lives revolve around alcohol it's frightening.

On another note how are people finding being at social big drinking occasions whilst sober? Or have you avoided it ? There is a dinner with the local Hurling club and friends want me to attend. In reality it's a glorified massive piss up and since I don't play, theres no onus on me to go. I don't think I'm ready, able or want to be surrounded by it. Since it will likely be a 10 pint+ session with pressure to drink, I don't think I can go sober. I have my sisters birthday coming up that I will go to though and I think there will be less pressure to drink there so I'm more confortable with that.

When you take a step back and see how many peoples lives revolve around alcohol it's frightening.

Fair play Peter first of all. On the above though, yes it is - especially when its people who you would have seen all the time now have no time for you seeing that you're off the stuff.

Just remember they've the problem, you're just trying to help yourself.

On another note how are people finding being at social big drinking occasions whilst sober? Or have you avoided it ? There is a dinner with the local Hurling club and friends want me to attend. In reality it's a glorified massive piss up and since I don't play, theres no onus on me to go. I don't think I'm ready, able or want to be surrounded by it. Since it will likely be a 10 pint+ session with pressure to drink, I don't think I can go sober. I have my sisters birthday coming up that I will go to though and I think there will be less pressure to drink there so I'm more confortable with that.

You need to know when you can handle going to an event in a bar and be sober , as i said in this post , you need to plan ahead. Put some control in place which will stop you from drinking, driving being the #1! Don't get in rounds and make it clear that you are not drinking tonight and be mentally strong to back it up and politely refuse a drink and accept the slagging that might come with it. Again their problem , not yours!

I myself have a couple of things coming up so i'm not going dry in February but if there is a thread on it i might jump on board!
    Im away a weekend and like you i have my club teams night out half way through the month. You can have a blow out every now and then, but the time you spent not drinking makes you reflect or think about the times you are drinking to excess too many times in a row.

I will still go out and maybe not drink as much but im going to have a good time and enjoy myself. But its the time i spent not drinking that makes me appreciate not drinking during the week, appreciate how better my body is at training when i've not been drinking, how a better sleeper i am.

If you can't go sober, dont beat yourself up about it. You are better off realising 'yeah i'll have a few drinks at this occasion' and try your best to make sure it doesnt spiral into a 3 day session than just setting yourself up to fail anyways. Like i said previously sometimes its harder to drink in moderation than it is totally quit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I am going to try too I think guys! Today is my 32nd day off it and I'm happy with how Dry January went. Lately I've been put on a strong antibiotic for a couple of months for a health issue, and alcohol should really be cut out or done in moderation to keep the drug effective. I've never been someone that can drink 1 or 2 drinks so I'll probably try stay sober to try cure the issues I'm having, was partly one of the reasons I cut down.

It is very hard though as a young man in Ireland to cut out alcohol. Everyone I know is a drinker and alot of them are heavy drinkers. I've grown apart from some friends, and rarely see others. When you take a step back and see how many peoples lives revolve around alcohol it's frightening.

As a non-drinker you need to accept who you are before you worry about others accepting who you are.

Personally, it took a long time for me to accept who I was but now I am more than comfortable with it. If someone else thinks it's odd or unusual that is their problem! Yes I have drifted from some people as a result of non-drinking but my family always stood by me and at the end of the day friends come and go, family are always there!

Advertisement