Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1 Car Wash @ Topaz

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

loki7777 wrote: »
    Power washing will damage you car as well.

Depends how you do it, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Glad I can now take solace in never washing my car in the interests of protecting the paintwork! However the wife's car has plenty of dents from poles jumping out in front of her so the €1 wash gave it a nice shine......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You absolutely do take value off your car by not maintaining the paintwork. Think how many guys out there have made nice money from a strategy of finding mechanically sound cars only in need of cosmetic repair, doing that cosmetic repair and bumping up the value. The smarter of the property developers done the same with houses.

Case in point was my wife, her friends and my daughter when I asked them what car we should get. A nice red one they said. Yes, a red one. Nothing else.

I have aquaintences who have made nice money by fixing the ruination that others inflict on their cars with a €1 wash they thought was a bargain. Additionally, a lot of cars now are got under PCP deals, and let me tell you the paintwork will be inspected come the time to change/settle the deal.

Plain fact is dont spend €25-30k on a car just to ruin the paint work for one euro, ffs, come on lads.

In any event, offer over now, thank god. Some horrifying scenes at Topaz today, truthfully and honestly I'd be abjectly embarrased to call myself a car enthusiast if I said in the same breath that I was happy with €1 'scratch the sh¡t out of my car wash'. I wouldn't trust someone like that with a bicycle, never mind a car. That's what's disengenuous. Not someone trying to help people understand they are damaging the car.

Thank god the offer is over and this thread can be locked. Hopefully no more horrifying scenes at Topaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'd swear compound or polish didn't exist going on previous posts.
    It's not a bath in brake fluid for €1. It's just an automated carwash.
    Garages don't devalue trade-ins with dull paint, and it's not as if the majority of cars out there are worth a whole pile, or have scratch/dent free bodywork either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Is this gone now yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

myshirt wrote: »
    The only point is this and this only, knowing an automatic carwash is the most appalling thing to put a car's paintwork through is amongst the most absolute basic bits of knowledge for a car enthusiast, just barely a notch above knowing a car has four wheels.

My car has 6 wheels.
    You forgot the spare wheel and the steering wheel.

The offer is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Put my 2015 audi A8 through yesterday. It had been caked in dirt for last few weeks having had to drive in a few fields. It did a pre wash thing then cleaned it goodoh. It came out perfect. Delighted with the service. Unbelievable value for 1 yo yo. Would use it every week at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

jmorrisey wrote: »
    Put my 2015 audi A8 through yesterday. It had been caked in dirt for last few weeks having had to drive in a few fields. It did a pre wash thing then cleaned it goodoh. It came out perfect. Delighted with the service. Unbelievable value for 1 yo yo. Would use it every week at that price

Are you trying to give that other poster a heart attack ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

I bought last night on rochestown avenue in dun l. He said it was closed but gave me the ticket anyway yo use the next day, when I looked at it they don't have a machine its just a jet wash. Do I have to use it or do they do it for me?
    I think the original cost was 13 quid, hardly going to pay that to wash your own car

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NegativeG - there is no test to pass, no bar to be met. I'm not pontificating.

The only point is this and this only, knowing an automatic carwash is the most appalling thing to put a car's paintwork through is amongst the most absolute basic bits of knowledge for a car enthusiast, just barely a notch above knowing a car has four wheels.

If it wasn't so basic, I wouldn't make the point. This isn't a dick measuring contest as to who knows the most. It's about the most basic and rudimentary tenets of car enthusiasm. I can't believe you at all. And I can't believe you would promote this deal to unsuspecting members of Bargain Alerts. I really hope no one has ruined their car today based on your brand of car enthusiasm.

I'm a car enthusiasts and also a motorbike enthusiast. I enjoy driving and riding and maintaining vehicles but I detest washing, does that mean I'm not an enthusiast?

Some people spend their days washing their pride and joy then take a hissy fit if someone parks beside them. To me concourse is the stupidest thing for a vehicle that's supposed to be used but obviously others 100% disagree with me. Others enjoy using their vehicles and couldn't care less who or what happens to the outside.

This was a good bargain for the 99% of the population who couldn't give a toss about their car once it starts every time that they turn the key and the majority of enthusiasts of any ilk would never buy these cars anyway as the majority where bought for the cheap motor tax not the regular journeys the owner makes.

• Advertisement

jmorrisey wrote: »

Even though I'd be all for people doing what they want with their car, I think if I had something so expensive I'd at least try to take a little pride in it.

You strike me as the kinda chap that'd buy a car just for the reg plate. No interest in the car itself or the spec level, but just want to be seen with the 2015 reg plate. (not saying that you are that person, but it's just an attitude that I don't think I fully understand/grasp).

If I paid €20-30-40k for a car, I think I'd feel embarrassed putting it into a €1 car wash. 'All fur coat and no knickers', is the expression I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Even though I'd be all for people doing what they want with their car, I think if I had something so expensive I'd at least try to take a little pride in it.

You strike me as the kinda chap that'd buy a car just for the reg plate. No interest in the car itself or the spec level, but just want to be seen with the 2015 reg plate. (not saying that you are that person, but it's just an attitude that I don't think I fully understand/grasp).

If I paid €20-30-40k for a car, I think I'd feel embarrassed putting it into a €1 car wash. 'All fur coat and no knickers', is the expression I think?

Feckin A8 drivers, lookin for cheap entry into the Audi badge and 2015 plates.

tumblr_nojnj77_Qz61qkzl6yo1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Step 1 - Buy brand new 40k motor.

Step 2 - Run for 5 years, washing periodically in devilbrush washes.

Step 3 - After 5 years have the car valeted and machine polished.

Step 4 - Sell/trade in, and purchase new car.

Step 5 - See step 1.

That poster didn't seriously put an A8 through a €1 wash?? Christ on a bicycle.

To the other chap, the motorcycle guy, you are as much an enthusiast as anyone. Of course. The only thing is I bet you know that autowashes destroy the car. And that's fine. You know it. You make your choice. The problem we had was a guy on here claiming to be a car enthusiast who disputed a fact that is a gazzilion percent true, said the information was false and disengenuos.

All I want is people to know that it destroys the paintwork. What they do after that is their own business. The problem is the amount of times we seen nice cars go through one of these washes with the owner totally oblivious to the damage.

In my own network I have guys on late reg bmw's, audi's nearly cry when I took out the sun gun. I also have guys that couldn't give a sh!te as they drive a runaround. The key thing is that they know and are aware of what they're doing. A 100k+ A8 through a €1 wash to me is insane and I"ll shed a quiet tear, but each man to his own..

pablo128 wrote: »
    Step 1 - Buy brand new 40k motor.

Step 2 - Run for 5 years, washing periodically in devilbrush washes.

Step 3 - After 5 years have the car valeted and machine polished.

Step 4 - Sell/trade in, and purchase new car.

Step 5 - See step 1.

Have you ever inspected a car that damaged? You could nearly be talking a total respray at the upper end of your problems.

You'd certainly be talking over a week's labour, and at 5 years of driving around in a car scratched and swirled to f*ck, is it worth it? Why not just mind the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Have you ever inspected a car that damaged? You could nearly be talking a total respray at the upper end of your problems.

You'd certainly be talking over a week's labour, and at 5 years of driving around in a car scratched and swirled to f*ck, is it worth it? Why not just mind the car?

99% of 2011 cars would come up perfect with a machine polish.

Where do you put all of the equipment incl power washer when you live in an apartment? Where do you source water and electricity once you are down on the ground floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Actually it was a 5 yo yo wash that i got for 1 so happy days. Actually the car got filthy again with road conditions so bad at the moment and had to go to a wedding so went back and got the same wash done again at full price. If anything car came out even more shiny this time. Overall I'm thrilled with the car wash
    That poster didn't seriously put an A8 through a €1 wash?? Christ on a bicycle.

In my own network I have guys on late reg bmw's, audi's nearly cry when I took out the sun gun. I also have guys that couldn't give a sh!te as they drive a runaround. The key thing is that they know and are aware of what they're doing. A 100k+ A8 through a €1 wash to me is insane and I"ll shed a quiet tear, but each man to his own..

Advertisement