Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1 Car Wash @ Topaz

Options
  • 31-12-2015 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Just heard it on TodayFM and confirmed from their FB page

Sensational offer this New year’s Eve at Topaz! All Car Washes only €1 today at participating Topaz stations. T's&C's apply see www.topaz.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Was coming on to post this just claimed one in wicklow this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

No topaz in louth offering this promotion "(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

To be used by 5 January so don't be that eejit queuing half the day today...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Thanks op - just the job for this kind of weather!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

I've got the 60 days pass that was 20e about a month ago, but only managed to do 8 washes in 34 days.. I don't think I'll manage to do 24 by the end of the 60 days :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

thewools wrote: »
    No topaz in louth offering this promotion "(

Yeh, that's a pity.... Miserable gits!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks OP!

Can you buy at any Topaz, even the ones not participating?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

Combine it with the topaz treat, and the 4c of every litre of fuel from the topaz game tag, and it's a nice little saving today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

This post has been deleted.

Clonsilla Hartstown has one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Can you buy in one station and use in a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Can you buy in one station and use in a different one?

No. It says on the ticket that it can only be used at the location it was purchased or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just to also point out each garage has a different number of days before you have to use the voucher. Last time I got a machine wash in one that had to be used in 24hrs and a jet wash in another that had 7 days to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Cheers op, ticket valid for 10days in my local station (have to buy today obviously). You also get points for the full price which is -up to- €10, so 40 points per ticket. No limit on amount, got 4;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A wash at Topaz will ruin your car.

It ruins it because:

1. The bristles on the machine are too hard, meaning they put micro-marring and hairline scratches all over the car. You don't see it until a sunny day when it looks like a spider web on your bonnet and you wonder where the hell did that come from. Bottom line is often people think it hasn't done any damage. The truth is, it has
    2. The bristles often too dirty from the last car or van, and hold little stones and gunk
    3. The water has a lot of lime and calcium in it, leaving deposits on your car to dry in and form etchings on the way home
    4. The chemicals they use are too strong for a car. They are more suited to a Lorry. The chemicals can stain the car over the course of a few washes.
    5. If you don't prewash the car, the machine just rubs the dirt, grit and gunk stuck to your car, all around the car, until it comes off. Trust me, you don't want dirt and grit being actively pressed against your paintwork and rubbed around.
    6. Your car is 'unprotected' or naked when you leave, meaning it will get dirtier quicker and iron and tar deposits will stick better

TLDR - Don't wash your car at Topaz, even if Topaz will pay you, never mind the suggestion you pay them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

What nationwide car wash pace would you reccommend then?

Wash it yourself.

Steps:
    1. Spray a pre-cleaner on to dirtiest parts
    2. Powerwash off
    3. Wash with Lambswool mitt using two-bucket method, panel by panel
    - One bucket has your phNeutral soap
    - Other bucket has clean water
    - Wash a panel, then clean your mitt in the clear water
    - At the end, you will end up with a bucket full of dirt that would have otherwise ended up being pulled around the car
    4. Power wash car
    5. Dry the car using a microfibre towel; no chamois or normal towels
    6. Apply a sealant or wax

That is a very, very basic wash for the body work. Wheels are a separate story. If it was me, I would do one major wash, and then the basic each week. Head over to Motors section if you want detail on the major wash.

myshirt wrote: »
    Wash it yourself.

Steps:
    2. Powerwash off
    - At the end, you will end up with a bucket full of dirt that would have otherwise ended up being pulled around the car
    4. Power wash car

That is a very, very basic wash for the body work. Wheels are a separate story. If it was me, I would do one major wash, and then the basic each week. Head over to Motors section if you want detail on the major wash.

Not everyone has the interest, time or money to go that effort as is evident with the vast majority of vehicles on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Wash it yourself.

Steps:
    2. Powerwash off
    4. Power wash car

You lost me at the presumption everyone has access to a powerwasher :rolleyes:

You lost me at the presumption everyone has access to a powerwasher :rolleyes:

Along with:
    1 x precleaner
    2 x buckets
    1 x lambswool mitt
    1 x PH neutral soap
    1 x microfibre towel
    1 x Wax/Sealant

You can go to all the effort you want and a stone flicked up from a lorry will do the same damage regardless.

I took advantage of this offer and was perfectly happy with the results.

Thanks OP.

• Advertisement

Negative_G wrote: »
    Not everyone has the interest, time or money to go that effort as is evident with the vast majority of vehicles on the road.

Why spend thousands on a car and then absolutely ruin it?

While you may drive a banger, and fair enough, my worry is for people with a half decent car or even worse a new car, who think this is washing your car, when it is actually damaging it.

If you've a banger that is already ruined, yeah I get it that another Topaz wash isn't adding a lot. But if you've a car that is not a banger then people need to be aware and mind them, not send them to a carwash that destroys them.

Why spend thousands on a car and then absolutely ruin it?

Because for a lot of people, cars are merely a form of transport and nothing more. You only need to look at how many people buy cheap asian tyres in an effort to cut corners.

I would consider myself a motor enthusiast and while I may not go to the excess that you and others do I think its a bit disingenuous and a tad dramatic to suggest that putting your car through a car wash will 'ruin it.

It is not at all disengenuous. It is 100% known by car enthusiasts that putting your car through a car wash DESTROYS it. 100%. No dispute.

Find it very strange you are a car enthusiast. How do you not know this if you are? Particulalrly when it is 100% settled. Very strange.

It is not at all disengenuous. It is 100% known by car enthusiasts that putting your car through a car wash DESTROYS it. 100%. No dispute.

Find it very strange you are a car enthusiast. How do you not know this if you are? Particulalrly when it is 100% settled. Very strange.

No need to shout.

If not owning a lambswool mitt and not counting the beads on my car after a wash makes me less of an enthusiast, then so be it. You can have the moral internet victory.

It is obviously a topic that you are quite emotional about so I won't digress any further.

NegativeG - there is no test to pass, no bar to be met. I'm not pontificating.

The only point is this and this only, knowing an automatic carwash is the most appalling thing to put a car's paintwork through is amongst the most absolute basic bits of knowledge for a car enthusiast, just barely a notch above knowing a car has four wheels.

If it wasn't so basic, I wouldn't make the point. This isn't a dick measuring contest as to who knows the most. It's about the most basic and rudimentary tenets of car enthusiasm. I can't believe you at all. And I can't believe you would promote this deal to unsuspecting members of Bargain Alerts. I really hope no one has ruined their car today based on your brand of car enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Based on how and what people drive here most are not car enthusiasts. NCT's are failed because of a blown bulb and that is the first they even realised the bulb was gone cause servicing seems optional. Warning lights on dash are treated with disregard. Try and find a car with an up to date service book regardless if services were done or not. So no I think you're in the minority.
    Also I'm guessing you don't have kids? Girlfriend?
    Listen I did al this hand washing business myself I even had a paint protection layer applied when I bought a new car. Now though don't have the time for it, also have come to realise come sale/trade-in time you won't get a penny extra for all your hard work.
    Btw car paints have come a long way over the years and are much harder now and the auto car washes tend not to use the plastic brushes they used to, they even spray the car before the brush cycle, not that anyone cares though. My car mostly gets hand washed -by someone else- but I don't think I'll lose out on re-sale value by an occasional auto-car wash.
    Anyway it's the wrong forum to start this discussion in, people like myself who think a €1 car wash is great don't really care...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

None

ALL brushwashes destroy your paintwork.

This isn't a dick measuring contest as to who knows the most.

It's certainly coming off that way!

I do a bit of detailing myself and take good care of my car, but i use a normal carwash (admittedly not a brush wash) when i need to, too. Not everyone has the time, money, patience or space to get into detailing.

... and we'll all live happily ever after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

NegativeG - there is no test to pass, no bar to be met. I'm not pontificating.

The only point is this and this only, knowing an automatic carwash is the most appalling thing to put a car's paintwork through is amongst the most absolute basic bits of knowledge for a car enthusiast, just barely a notch above knowing a car has four wheels.

If it wasn't so basic, I wouldn't make the point. This isn't a dick measuring contest as to who knows the most. It's about the most basic and rudimentary tenets of car enthusiasm. I can't believe you at all. And I can't believe you would promote this deal to unsuspecting members of Bargain Alerts. I really hope no one has ruined their car today based on your brand of car enthusiasm.

Just buy a jet wash ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Power washing will damage you car as well.

Advertisement