Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to achieve secular schools/educational equality

Options

Comments

Mary63 wrote: »
    ulysses,I think I can take it you have no school going children yet.

Been and gone, Mary63. I could well be even older than you - chronologically, at least. ;)

Parents for the most part do not want to take on accountability for their local school,they will pay the voluntary donation gladly because it provides extras for their children but to get parents to talk on voluntary roles in relation to their childs school is very difficult.Very few even turn up at the AGM and the few that do don't put themselves forward for roles because its impossible to hand over to someone else when the time comes.Most parents are very busy,both work long hours and after work there is another full time job to be done at home and everyday is the same.

It would seem, then, that the battle lines are drawn between the atheists who will want the state to take over, and the believers who will want their churches to do the job.

If that is the case, then the atheists will win the day, because the churches no longer have the numbers to run more than 3,000 schools. As long ago as the mid-1970s, I went to a Christian Brothers school, but even then there were only a couple of men in black in the midst of a much bigger group of lay teachers.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see some actual statistical evidence, but absent that there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to show that parents are much more likely to be committed and to get involved in ET schools and in Gaelscoileanna than in Catholic schools. In my admittedly limited experience of C of I schools, parents were also quite active. Is it possible that parental inactivity and apathy is a mainly Catholic phenomenon?

They don't want to take over the religious instruction themselves,they are all agreed on that,let teacher do this job,he or she is paid for it whether they like doing it or not.If they have a real problem with it there are thousands of unemployed teachers who will teach black is white to get a permanent and pensionable position.

Thanks for demonstrating why change is needed. You might think that threatening teachers to do it your way is acceptable, but most folk here don't. That's why we're discussing how to achieve the positive change that's needed.

Anyone seeking change should put some of their people forward for election....

Why should they? We already have a plethora of candidates and political parties. Let's just put them under pressure.

Samaris wrote: »
    I'm not backtracking, tbh, I believe that the State should take responsibility for teaching its children and not be leaving it to a foreign organisation.

TBH, it's going to be a bit difficult to follow you if you keep flipping from one position to another as you seem to be doing.

But your position as I read it now is that Educate Together schools can be left alone, and the state should take over the rest. If that's not accurate, please say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭JRant

How do your Catholic or Protestant friends with kids respond when you say that to them?

Most of my friends, neighbours and workmates are Catholic. None of them have baptised their kids for any reason other than that they want them to be Catholic as well. And however little you may like it, that's their choice.

A lot of my friends were quite open with me for their reasons in baptising their children. I would never judge anyone for making the decision to christen their children. It's a personal choice for them.

Funnily enough the main reason for the topic coming up in conversation is because we decided not to baptise our little one. We would be asked when the christening was and we would tell them there wouldn't be one and it usually went from there.

I'm always respectful to other people's beliefs and would never bring it up myself. Whereas you'd be amazed at how people feel the need to quiz you on why you're not doing it yourself.

You've made some good points here and it's great to hear from someone who has been involved in different setups. I'm hoping to get involved with ET in my area but it is still at a very early stage and was wondering if you might have some insight into how best to assist.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    A lot of my friends were quite open with me for their reasons in baptising their children. I would never judge anyone for making the decision to christen their children. It's a personal choice for them.

You'd judge them here, though. That's not exactly friendly, is it?

I'm always respectful to other people's beliefs and would never bring it up myself.

Is that in real life, as opposed to the lack of respect you show in internetland?

.....it's great to hear from someone who has been involved in different setups.

I haven't been involved in different setups, nor did I say I have.

I'm hoping to get involved with ET in my area but it is still at a very early stage and was wondering if you might have some insight into how best to assist.

Where's the nearest Educate Together school to you? If you have a child, you'll already have him or her enrolled there, won't you? Just ask the Principal or the chairperson of the management board for more advice about how to get active, and they'll advise you much better than I can.

If you don't have a school near you, then contact ET's HQ and ask them for advice about the nearest group of parents seeking to set a school up.

https://www.educatetogether.ie/about/contact

You'd judge them here, though. That's not exactly friendly, is it?

Is that in real life, as opposed to the lack of respect you show in internetland?

I haven't been involved in different setups, nor did I say I have.

Where's the nearest Educate Together school to you? If you have a child, you'll already have him or her enrolled there, won't you? Just ask the Principal or the chairperson of the management board for more advice about how to get active, and they'll advise you much better than I can.

If you don't have a school near you, then contact ET's HQ and ask them for advice about the nearest group of parents seeking to set a school up.

https://www.educatetogether.ie/about/contact

Where have I been disrespectful or judged anyone for baptising their children on this thread exactly?
    Suggesting some people do this to help gain access to schools is hardly breaking news and certainly not disrespectful.

To be honest I was just asking a friendly question. Did you not say you were involved with ET years ago and with geal scoils as well or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

There is one being formed in our area but it is still at a bery early stage. I've already contacted them expressing support.

• Advertisement

Where have I been disrespectful or judged anyone for baptising their children on this thread exactly?

You've said they only do it for reasons that are not to do with their faith. When that's not true, you're being disrespectful. That's why I asked the question that I did.

Suggesting some people do this to help gain access to schools is hardly breaking news and certainly not disrespectful.

It is disrespectful when it is not true, and whether you like it or not the reason why the overwhelming majority of Christians baptise their children is so that their children will be baptised into the same Christian faith system that they have. No more and no less.

To be honest I was just asking a friendly question.

No one ever thinks they are being unreasonable, but IMO you have been unreasonable and unfair. I am an atheist and I'm not compromising that for anyone. But I also have learned a genuine respect for people who do believe, something that is regrettably lacking from some contributors to this forum.

Did you not say you were involved with ET years ago and with geal scoils as well or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

I've never been involved with ET, although I was a "client" of my local ET school, and for some reason connected with that I paid ET a membership fee for a few years. I haven't been inside the school since my son left it several years ago. I also know quite a few parents (past and present) of my local C of I school (which is doing well), not to mention many parents whose kids are attending or have been to Catholic schools. And because of my interest in the Irish language, I also know a fair few people whose kids go to Gaelscoileanna.

There is one being formed in our area but it is still at a bery early stage. I've already contacted them expressing support.

Stay in touch with them. That's really all I can advise. Apart from that, is it really too far to the nearest ET school?

When we wanted a non-religious school, there were only 8 or 9 ET schools in the whole country, and nearly all of those were in Dublin. So our choices were to try to find a place in our local Catholic schools, to put up with a long commute to the school of our choice, or to move. There was no real contest. We moved.

You've said they only do it for reasons that are not to do with their faith. When that's not true, you're being disrespectful. That's why I asked the question that I did.

It is disrespectful when it is not true, and whether you like it or not the reason why the overwhelming majority of Christians baptise their children is so that their children will be baptised into the same Christian faith system that they have. No more and no less.

No one ever thinks they are being unreasonable, but IMO you have been unreasonable and unfair. I am an atheist and I'm not compromising that for anyone. But I also have learned a genuine respect for people who do believe, something that is regrettably lacking from some contributors to this forum.

I've never been involved with ET, although I was a "client" of my local ET school, and for some reason connected with that I paid ET a membership fee for a few years. I haven't been inside the school since my son left it several years ago. I also know quite a few parents (past and present) of my local C of I school (which is doing well), not to mention many parents whose kids are attending or have been to Catholic schools. And because of my interest in the Irish language, I also know a fair few people whose kids go to Gaelscoileanna.

Stay in touch with them. That's really all I can advise. Apart from that, is it really too far to the nearest ET school?

When we wanted a non-religious school, there were only 8 or 9 ET schools in the whole country, and nearly all of those were in Dublin. So our choices were to try to find a place in our local Catholic schools, to put up with a long commute to the school of our choice, or to move. There was no real contest. We moved.

Perhaps I could/should have worded my sentiments better as I meant no disrespect to anyone.

I am in Dublin myself so lucky to have other options available to us. The proposed school is the immediate vacinity but there are other ET schools options open to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

HAI,AI,EE and EQ are and have all been doing that.

Without being critical, they haven't been very effective. There should have found it fairly easy to find common group with Labour, SF maybe Green parties - yet no party has a clear policy for secular education.
    Parents for the most part do not want to take on accountability for their local school,they will pay the voluntary donation gladly because it provides extras for their children but to get parents to talk on voluntary roles in relation to their childs school is very difficult.Very few even turn up at the AGM and the few that do don't put themselves forward for roles because its impossible to hand over to someone else when the time comes.Most parents are very busy,both work long hours and after work there is another full time job to be done at home and everyday is the same.
    There is some truth in this, but also the current system is a factor. Part of the reason why many parents don't want to take on extra responsibility in schools is because they feel alienated from the ethos of the school.
    There will be no interference with the patronage system because both the Catholic and Protestant clergy are united on this one and what they have they hold.The clergy are very popular for the most part in their communities and parishioners are happy that they are involved in the schools,the majority are anyway and there is no real angst about this issue.
    You are overestimating the importance of priests and clergy in their community today, or perhaps you are just overestimating their community.

Go into any parish church on Sunday morning and look at the age profile. You'll see that most of the people attending are 60+. The number of people under 50 who don't have kids with them is tiny.

Where is the 'majority' who want religion in their lives if they are not attending their weekly mass and communion?

Anyone seeking change should put some of their people forward for election and canvass on this issue,this will cost a lot of money though and the successful business people are products of education with a religious ethos and they want the same for their children.The powerful won't support any change because they don't want interference with their private schools which they are bankrolling.If the Government decides all schools are to be patron free this means all schools and it is questionable whether private schools can be allowed to buy their way out of avoiding legal requirements.
    No-one wants single-issue candidates. Education is indeed important, but TDs elected simply because of their stance on education would be a bad idea for many reasons.

I'm not sure how you conclude that powerful people 'want the same for their children'. Some do, some don't. The balance appears to be slipping towards those that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

RainyDay wrote: »
    Without being critical, they haven't been very effective. There should have found it fairly easy to find common group with Labour, SF maybe Green parties - yet no party has a clear policy for secular education.
    rubbish, its called the permanent state

Perhaps I could/should have worded my sentiments better as I meant no disrespect to anyone.

Cheers. I'm not meaning to have a go at you either, so apologies if I'm coming across that way.

I am in Dublin myself so lucky to have other options available to us. The proposed school is the immediate vacinity but there are other ET schools options open to us.

Best of luck with your choice, whatever it turns out to be, but make sure to get your child(ren) on the list ASAP, because all ET schools operate a first come first served policy.

Your point about location is significant. Part of the problem is a lack of non-religious schools, but the bigger part (IMO) is that the availability of non-religious schools very much depends on where you find yourself. That's why my preference is to find ways of increasing choice all around the country, rather than insisting that every school has to go non-religious.

Have a look at this link, which lists ET schools (I don't know if the list is 100% up to date). There are a good few around Dublin, but aside from that they are thin on the ground, and there are none at all in several counties. Also, unless you live in certain parts of Dublin, Cebridge or Drogheda, there are no non-religious secondary schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educate_Together#List_of_Primary_Schools

I would say that in the short term, the emphasis should be on getting non-religious primary schools (whether under ET operation or run by someone else) into those towns and counties that don't have them or that have very few of them.

Others may disagree with this view, but primary schools are much more important than secondary schools. If you get a youngster to 12 years old with a solid foundation in atheism, a secondary school won't change that. So that means that (in the short term at least) the important thing for secondary schools is to make sure that they can't discriminate in selection on religious grounds. Having said that, I should point out that none of the kids I've known from the local ET school and from around my estate have ever had any difficulty getting a secondary school place, and that's on the south side of Dublin. Mind you, as the link also shows the number of ET secondary schools is about to increase significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,185 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can we please stop talking about atheism as a basis for education. As I have said before this is not about atheism, and it is wrong to talk about atheist schools. We are discussing secular schools. Atheist schools suggests actively teaching anti-god concepts, this is not the case. If schools had a neutral focus and only taught religion as a theory subject to all the children, within the normal constraints of the timetable for any subject, we would not be having this discussion.

All that is sought is the removal of religious affiliation from national school admissions policies, and classroom teaching to move away from the dogma of any particular faith and the time spent instructing children in the ritual of the Catholic church. That is church business, not the business of the state schools.

A state school is one that has been paid for, built, staffed and maintained by the state, using a state curriculum and inspected and supervised by the state. This currently includes probably two thirds of all schools in the country. The only issue being that they have been handed over to religious patronage. If the political will were there they could be taken back into state control, the classroom hours that have been gifted to the church be reabsorbed into education and admission to schools be made open to all children.

The fear mongering about state schools being inferior to the current situation just does not stand up. The patrons currently are only concerned to maintain the religious ethos, this does not improve in any way the quality of teaching, teaching standards are maintained by the state.

While I have no issue with building new ET schools, and it is feasible in urban areas, suggesting that increasing the number of these schools is the solution is just papering over the cracks in the system. The school buildings, teachers and structures are already there scattered evenly, if thinly, throughout the rural areas. These are the areas of real 'no choice' that need to be addressed.

rubbish, its called the permanent state
    I don't understand this - could you expand please?
    looksee wrote: »
    All that is sought is the removal of religious affiliation from national school admissions policies, and classroom teaching to move away from the dogma of any particular faith and the time spent instructing children in the ritual of the Catholic church. That is church business, not the business of the state schools.
    That would be a great start, but it is certainly not all that is sought by me. We cannot leave religious patron bodies in control of state-funded schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I don't understand this - could you expand please?
    policy can only be done after they recognise the problem, Labour doesn't recognise the problem they keep saying that the constituency would be breach if they did major changes they don't recognise that the constitution is currently being breached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

State schools are definitely inferior or maybe the schools with religious ethos are superior look see.

You only have to look at the league tables and the progression onto third level level eight courses to see that.

The best and brightest in every primary school go onto schools with a religious ethos where there is a choice,the demand for the loreto schools and the Christian Brothers schools is phenomenal,some parents take to camping out overnight to get their child a place.There definitely wouldn't be the same pool of highly academic children in the community schools unless this is the only choice of school available.Parents will put their thinking caps on and go for the best school available and they won't care what patron is in place,they couldn't care less.

Parents will look at the results from the community schools in their area and if faced with losing their school or dumbing down to this level in order to achieve a secular education which they don't want anyway,they will revolt.The politicians know this and that is why every promise made to change the system is diluted.There is no demand whatsoever for secular education in this country,never has been and never will there be.The ET schools will fill places because they are trendy and parents like the idea of getting inside the classroom and calling teachers by their first names.The vast majority of the parents though put their children forward for baptism,communion and confirmation and if the ET school doesn't work out for whatever reason they will happily move to the catholic school down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Once again, have you EVER considered the socio-economic backgrounds of the students attending those table-topping schools, or are you just regurgitating bollocks from the Legatus Lackeys?

Brains are genetic popepalatine and if your socio economic background is poor its because your parents haven't much brain cells,you therefore won't have much brain cells either and it doesn't matter how much money we throw at DEIS schools,it won't make a whit if difference.You only have to look at the horribly obese four year olds eating crisps on their way to school to know what sort of a home they grow up in,most wouldn't even know what a book was.They probably don't even go to school most Mondays because no one will get up out of bed to take them.

These children because they cant learn then prevent everyone else around them learning and they drive teachers to a nervous breakdown,no point in even calling the parents,they are even worse.Why wouldn't any half decent parent want to make sure their child is in a different school and who wouldn't camp out to make sure their girl didn't get into a lore to school with other ambitious girls like herself,the alternative is pushing a buggy at fifteen years of age.

its no wonder parents are so attached to the school with the religious ethos,most would be thrilled if there was some way of weeding out those who don't want to be in any school at all,none of us look at the bigger picture really,we want to focus on our own child and do the best we can for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wealth=brains=wealth.

Why am I not surprised?

And how many schools with a religious ethos are rooted to the bottom of the league tables, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wealth=brains=wealth.

Why am I not surprised?

Perhaps because you understand that parents who are well educated also take an interest in their children's education, and send their children to schools where they will receive the education their parents want for them.

That's why offering more opportunities is a good thing, as opposed to restricting parent's choices to the local schools which may not be able to provide the education the parents want for their children.

Even in the leaflet you provided earlier on in the thread, it said that no one particular policy had better outcomes than another, and that both sides were divided more by their political ideologies, and both sides could produce evidence to support their own views.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Perhaps because you understand that parents who are well educated also take an interest in their children's education, and send their children to schools where they will receive the education their parents want for them.

That's why offering more opportunities is a good thing, as opposed to restricting parent's choices to the local schools which may not be able to provide the education the parents want for their children.

Even in the leaflet you provided earlier on in the thread, it said that no one particular policy had better outcomes than another, and that both sides were divided more by their political ideologies, and both sides could produce evidence to support their own views.

Parents, in the main, send their kids where they can afford to send them.

I went to a fairly religious primary school which was the closest, but was also located in a relatively poor area of Dublin (at the time). None of my family went to college from school. It was simply not affordable.

• Advertisement

I am really tired of that socio economic argument,it doesn't take too much brain power to know that if you have too many children and too little money the outcome for your family won't be ideal.

We are spending vast sums of money on DEIS schools,we are even providing breakfast for these children.The social welfare payments in this country are generous and I don't believe anyone can't afford a packet of porridge to cook a healthy breakfast for a primary school aged child.

I bet if you went into these so called disadvantaged socio economic households you would see vast quantities of alcohol and cigarettes on display,it would be interesting to see the local shops takings on these products over the last two week period.You can bet too the children have the latest tablets,the latest xboxes and every house has a sky package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Why will handing everything over to the State (as suggested by Samaris) help? What will we end up with then? Some lowest common denominator Irish form of communism in which the schools are crap and run for the benefit of the staff, but at least we can pat ourselves on the back because they are "equal"?

There you have the single biggest challenge to any organisation setting up non-denominational schools. First, you have to convince people that they'll be better than the devil they know ;) ; and second, you have to prove it. Unfortunately, the example of our two nearest neighbours tends to indicate that the opposite is the case.

My children were/are educated first in the UK and in France. The former has plenty of non-denominational schools, the latter has an aggressive policy of excluding religion from education. What's the outcome? The "religious" schools are invariably over-subscribed and come out top in just about every evaluation of social and academic performance.

So you'll still have parents getting their children Christened to be further up the selection ladder, and inevitably, the religious schools will cream off the higher achievers, leaving the non-denominational schools needing to invest in additional resources just to remain "average". The playing field is not in the least bit level, and no amount of lobbying government to introduce "equality" will change what parents will do to make sure their children come out on top.

Which then raises the question: why are "religious" schools/parents consistently more productive than their secular counterparts, even when the latter have had over 100 years to close the gap (e.g. in France)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Parents, in the main, send their kids where they can afford to send them.

This is true, but the way some people are talking in this thread, it's as though parents who can afford to send their children to better schools should be made to feel like they're doing a disservice to society by not sending their children to the local school where their children will not receive the education they want.

I went to a fairly religious primary school which was the closest, but was also located in a relatively poor area of Dublin (at the time). None of my family went to college from school. It was simply not affordable.

That's really not the case any more though with all sorts of assistance available to students who want to go on to third level education. The problem with some schools as was pointed out by Mary is that some of them do not have the same academic and sports ethos as other schools, and socioeconomics plays a bigger part in this than religion. Secular schools won't fix this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Brains are genetic popepalatine and if your socio economic background is poor its because your parents haven't much brain cells,you therefore won't have much brain cells either and it doesn't matter how much money we throw at DEIS schools,it won't make a whit if difference.You only have to look at the horribly obese four year olds eating crisps on their way to school to know what sort of a home they grow up in,most wouldn't even know what a book was.They probably don't even go to school most Mondays because no one will get up out of bed to take them.

These children because they cant learn then prevent everyone else around them learning and they drive teachers to a nervous breakdown,no point in even calling the parents,they are even worse.Why wouldn't any half decent parent want to make sure their child is in a different school and who wouldn't camp out to make sure their girl didn't get into a lore to school with other ambitious girls like herself,the alternative is pushing a buggy at fifteen years of age.

its no wonder parents are so attached to the school with the religious ethos,most would be thrilled if there was some way of weeding out those who don't want to be in any school at all,none of us look at the bigger picture really,we want to focus on our own child and do the best we can for them.
    Jaysus wept, you're lovely. I know who I'd prefer to spend time with, between yourself and the families you describe so charitably and with such deeply nuanced opinion :rolleyes: It would all be so simple if you were in charge, eh Mary?

looksee wrote: »
    While I have no issue with building new ET schools, and it is feasible in urban areas, suggesting that increasing the number of these schools is the solution is just papering over the cracks in the system. The school buildings, teachers and structures are already there scattered evenly, if thinly, throughout the rural areas. These are the areas of real 'no choice' that need to be addressed.

I disagree with you, so up with my opinions you'll have to put.

The best way to make progress is to improve the situation for everyone, not to improve it just for your own belief system.

You wish to make all schools secular. I wish to extend the presence of non-religious schools. They are philosophically quite different standpoints, they lead to different solutions for tackling the problems, and one is as valid as the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Brains are genetic popepalatine and if your socio economic background is poor its because your parents haven't much brain cells,you therefore won't have much brain cells either and it doesn't matter how much money ....................

You know that rubbish is utterly discredited Victorian nonsense with no validity whatsoever?

policy can only be done after they recognise the problem, Labour doesn't recognise the problem they keep saying that the constituency would be breach if they did major changes they don't recognise that the constitution is currently being breached.
    So that's where the policy work needs to focus then - get Labour, Green, SF to recognise the problem and build momentum towards a solution.
    State schools are definitely inferior or maybe the schools with religious ethos are superior look see.

You only have to look at the league tables and the progression onto third level level eight courses to see that.

The best and brightest in every primary school go onto schools with a religious ethos where there is a choice,the demand for the loreto schools and the Christian Brothers schools is phenomenal,some parents take to camping out overnight to get their child a place.There definitely wouldn't be the same pool of highly academic children in the community schools unless this is the only choice of school available.Parents will put their thinking caps on and go for the best school available and they won't care what patron is in place,they couldn't care less.

Parents will look at the results from the community schools in their area and if faced with losing their school or dumbing down to this level in order to achieve a secular education which they don't want anyway,they will revolt.The politicians know this and that is why every promise made to change the system is diluted.There is no demand whatsoever for secular education in this country,never has been and never will there be.The ET schools will fill places because they are trendy and parents like the idea of getting inside the classroom and calling teachers by their first names.The vast majority of the parents though put their children forward for baptism,communion and confirmation and if the ET school doesn't work out for whatever reason they will happily move to the catholic school down the road.

It's hard to know where to start on this. There are actually nuggets of truth here, but you seem to be very confused on cause and effect - and a few facts.

First of all, the league tables don't measure the achievements of pupils or teachers. They measure the ability of parents to pay for 3rd level education. So it's not going to be much of a surprise that the fee-paying religious schools will come out top of this list. This is not an indication of the superior quality of the schools - it indicates much broader socio-economic stuff about the ability of the parents to fund education and broader educational activities.

The Christian Brothers hasn't existed for quite a while now, and the reports of parents sleeping out for places in Loreto are a thing of the past. When you come out with nonsense like "There is no demand whatsoever for secular education in this country,never has been and never will there be" - it is just so way off the wall that I'm left wondering who you are trying to convince, us or yourself?

I am really tired of that socio economic argument,it doesn't take too much brain power to know that if you have too many children and too little money the outcome for your family won't be ideal.

We are spending vast sums of money on DEIS schools,we are even providing breakfast for these children.The social welfare payments in this country are generous and I don't believe anyone can't afford a packet of porridge to cook a healthy breakfast for a primary school aged child.

I bet if you went into these so called disadvantaged socio economic households you would see vast quantities of alcohol and cigarettes on display,it would be interesting to see the local shops takings on these products over the last two week period.You can bet too the children have the latest tablets,the latest xboxes and every house has a sky package.

So just to be clear, the many parents and families who queue up daily for meals at the Capuchin centre in Dublin and the Cork Penny Dinners are doing it just for the craic - they really can afford to eat properly without this support, but they suffer the indignity of getting a free meal just because they are lazy - that is your Christian position on this, right?

There you have the single biggest challenge to any organisation setting up non-denominational schools. First, you have to convince people that they'll be better than the devil they know ;) ; and second, you have to prove it. Unfortunately, the example of our two nearest neighbours tends to indicate that the opposite is the case.

My children were/are educated first in the UK and in France. The former has plenty of non-denominational schools, the latter has an aggressive policy of excluding religion from education. What's the outcome? The "religious" schools are invariably over-subscribed and come out top in just about every evaluation of social and academic performance.

So you'll still have parents getting their children Christened to be further up the selection ladder, and inevitably, the religious schools will cream off the higher achievers, leaving the non-denominational schools needing to invest in additional resources just to remain "average". The playing field is not in the least bit level, and no amount of lobbying government to introduce "equality" will change what parents will do to make sure their children come out on top.

Which then raises the question: why are "religious" schools/parents consistently more productive than their secular counterparts, even when the latter have had over 100 years to close the gap (e.g. in France)?

Fee-paying schools don't cream off the high-achievers - far from it. Look at the top results in the Leaving Cert and the Young Scientists and you don't see the private schools dominating these. The only thing they dominate are the Rugby competitions.
    Shrap wrote: »
    Jaysus wept, you're lovely. I know who I'd prefer to spend time with, between yourself and the families you describe so charitably and with such deeply nuanced opinion :rolleyes: It would all be so simple if you were in charge, eh Mary?
    It's the Christian way, don't you know....
    I disagree with you, so up with my opinions you'll have to put.

The best way to make progress is to improve the situation for everyone, not to improve it just for your own belief system.

You wish to make all schools secular. I wish to extend the presence of non-religious schools. They are philosophically quite different standpoints, they lead to different solutions for tackling the problems, and one is as valid as the other.

There is a third option - take religion out of all state funded schools. If you want a religious education, you pay for it.

It's hard to know where to start on this. There are actually nuggets of truth here, but you seem to be very confused on cause and effect - and a few facts.

The term "Gish Gallop" comes to mind when reading Mary's posts.

Cheers. I'm not meaning to have a go at you either, so apologies if I'm coming across that way.

Best of luck with your choice, whatever it turns out to be, but make sure to get your child(ren) on the list ASAP, because all ET schools operate a first come first served policy.

Your point about location is significant. Part of the problem is a lack of non-religious schools, but the bigger part (IMO) is that the availability of non-religious schools very much depends on where you find yourself. That's why my preference is to find ways of increasing choice all around the country, rather than insisting that every school has to go non-religious.

Have a look at this link, which lists ET schools (I don't know if the list is 100% up to date). There are a good few around Dublin, but aside from that they are thin on the ground, and there are none at all in several counties. Also, unless you live in certain parts of Dublin, Cebridge or Drogheda, there are no non-religious secondary schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educate_Together#List_of_Primary_Schools

I would say that in the short term, the emphasis should be on getting non-religious primary schools (whether under ET operation or run by someone else) into those towns and counties that don't have them or that have very few of them.

Others may disagree with this view, but primary schools are much more important than secondary schools. If you get a youngster to 12 years old with a solid foundation in atheism, a secondary school won't change that. So that means that (in the short term at least) the important thing for secondary schools is to make sure that they can't discriminate in selection on religious grounds. Having said that, I should point out that none of the kids I've known from the local ET school and from around my estate have ever had any difficulty getting a secondary school place, and that's on the south side of Dublin. Mind you, as the link also shows the number of ET secondary schools is about to increase significantly.

No worries at all Ulysses.

We've put the little ones name down for the next nearest ET school just to sure.

There is a lot of sense in what your suggesting. Afterall, wasn't it the Jesuits who said "give me the child and I'll give you the man".

There is certainly a large number of places with no access to a secular primary school school.

• Advertisement

That's just a downright nasty post.

Advertisement