Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6N 2016 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This day 2 weeks is when we play Wales.

Sexton failed his HIA today so does anyone know the min time they're meant to have off after failing one?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This day 2 weeks is when we play Wales.

Sexton failed his HIA today so does anyone know the min time they're meant to have off after failing one?

I'm not sure if he failed any check. Maybe they just decided it wasn't worth sending him back out in a meaningless game, that's certainly what Cullen said:
    “Johnny just got a head knock so we didn’t want to risk him going back out there so he’s up and about in the dressing room being assessed so he’ll follow the usual return-to-play protocols,” said Cullen following his side’s 51-10 defeat in Coventry.

http://www.the42.ie/sexton-moore-leinster-wasps-2564350-Jan2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm not too surprised to see the above quote. He didn't look as out of it as he has done previously and appeared totally lucid as he went off and took his spot on the bench. If it wasn't a dead rubber, I reckon he'd have come back in.

With that said, it does show how fragile he is and how nervous they are about him.

I'm not too surprised to see the above quote. He didn't look as out of it as he has done previously and appeared totally lucid as he went off and took his spot on the bench. If it wasn't a dead rubber, I reckon he'd have come back in.

With that said, it does show how fragile he is and how nervous they are about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Its worrying that in such a key position that we have no worthy replacement sorted by now and its not just outhalf; scrumhalf, hooker, 2nd row isnt packed either, yet we have about 12+ worthy backrows vying for squad places.

Should certain positions be emphasised more in development or are they, but there is just a lack of talent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Its worrying that in such a key position that we have no worthy replacement sorted by now and its not just outhalf; scrumhalf, hooker, 2nd row isnt packed either, yet we have about 12+ worthy backrows vying for squad places.

Should certain positions be emphasised more in development or are they, but there is just a lack of talent?

If Best is out Cronin and Strauss are more than capable replacements so not sure hooker is an area of worry.

I believe the academies take in more of X position when the provinces look light in one area so it's swings and roundabouts. Replacements always seem to appear when needed. Sure tighthead looked extremely light for a few years and now it's quite a competitive area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dylan Hartley named England captain, now that's a strange choice given his record. May be an inspired choice or a complete clusterf@*k but brave call one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Interesting trend towards hookers being captains.

Three new captains in this year's 6N being.

Best
    Guirado
    Hartley

Hookers and 8's were quite often pack leaders, so if you're going to have a forward as captain it makes sense. Maybe it will calm Hartley down, but he isn't exactly good at managing refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

errlloyd wrote: »
    Interesting trend towards hookers being captains.

Three new captains in this year's 6N being.

Best
    Guirado
    Hartley
    It's always been popular for some reason (especially here):

Keith Wood
    Terry Kingston
    Ciaran FitzGerald
    Alf Dawson
    Karl Mullen

Welsh
    Matthew Rees
    Jon Humphries

All very good players too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

stephen_n wrote: »
    Dylan Hartley named England captain, now that's a strange choice given his record. May be an inspired choice or a complete clusterf@*k but brave call one way or the other.

Seems a crazy choice and could back fire terribly.
    The most bizarre captain selection since Dion O'Cuinnegoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I just find the idea that he is going to be the guy communicating with the referees each week highly entertaining.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I just find the idea that he is going to be the guy communicating with the referees each week highly entertaining.

Unfortunately it won't be with Wayne Barnes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Unfortunately it won't be with Wayne Barnes...

Who are the refs for the 6N this year?

Has anyone seen English Lurker since the announcement? I'm starting to worry for his/Dylan Hartley/Eddie Jones' health

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

You're right to be worried for my health, I'm currently wrapped up in blankets in Pennsylvania wondering how it's possible for one nostril to be blocked solid while the other one has a constant flow.

Which does mean Hartley and Jones are safe - from me at least. From Hartley's temper? Who can say.

I'm amusing myself reading some of the more convoluted defences of his behaviour on English forums. I can't be too mad at those guys, I know what it's like to be reaching for reasons the head coach isn't insane and going too far. But when you see people are trying to see Hartley and his disciplinary record's no issue because McCaw got three yellows in his career, it's... well.

Anyway, I have all sorts of objections, starting with the fact that Dylan Hartley's no longer even the best hooker at his club and probably should be nowhere near England to begin with, before even getting near the uncomfortably high odds of him imploding. There's even the side points like the fact this pack will contain no other Saints players most like, which isn't great for lineout cohesiveness.

That said, stepping back, the likelihood is nothing will happen and Hartley will play his usual military medium game and people will claim the whole reaction was over the top. Which may be slightly true.

The biggest issue for me is that I don't see how anyone can look at English rugby and think Hartley is the answer (or Ashton). So, either our head coach is wrong, or me and virtually everyone else I know is wrong, and I'm not used to having the head coach proven right in this situation. Me and a fair few people are saying (with some media encouragement) that Jones is going conservative while he finds out what he has and that things may be very different in a year. I'm beginning to wonder if that's rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Full England squad for game against Scotland:

Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester), Jack Clifford, Joe Marler, Chris Robshaw (all Harlequins), Jamie George, George Kruis, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Dylan Hartley, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes (Northampton), James Haskell, Joe Launchbury (Wasps).

Backs: Mike Brown, Danny Care (both Harlequins), Ollie Devoto, George Ford, Jonathan Joseph, Anthony Watson (Bath), Owen Farrell, Alex Goode (Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter), Ben Youngs (Leicester).

A few new names in the 23 for Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Full England squad for game against Scotland:

Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester), Jack Clifford, Joe Marler, Chris Robshaw (all Harlequins), Jamie George, George Kruis, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Dylan Hartley, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes (Northampton), James Haskell, Joe Launchbury (Wasps).

Backs: Mike Brown, Danny Care (both Harlequins), Ollie Devoto, George Ford, Jonathan Joseph, Anthony Watson (Bath), Owen Farrell, Alex Goode (Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter), Ben Youngs (Leicester).

A few new names in the 23 for Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Correct me if I'm wrong. Does that mean that either Owen Farrell or Ollie Devoto will start in the centre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

errlloyd wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Does that mean that either Owen Farrell or Ollie Devoto will start in the centre?

Devoto and Joseph ? Farrell bench cover for 10-12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

aimee1 wrote: »
    Devoto and Joseph ? Farrell bench cover for 10-12?

Farrell most likely at inside centre for me

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

The journos seem convinced it will be a Ford-Farrell partnership to start.

I really didn't expect Courtney Lawes or Alex Goode to be there. Lawes because Itoje has been so standout, and Goode because I didn't think anyone other than Lancaster thought he was international standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

What does Elliott Daly have to do to get a sniff?

That English 23 man squad I've seen for Scotland looks straight out of a Lancaster selection.

With little or no access to the players, you'd have to assume there won't be major changes in how England play till either the end of the 6N or beyond. So a Lancaster style selection is to be expected.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    What does Elliott Daly have to do to get a sniff?

That English 23 man squad I've seen for Scotland looks straight out of a Lancaster selection.

He's young but the guy has been one of the stand out performers in the Premiership for a number of years. He has over 130 appearances for Wasps and zero for England.

He's a very well rounded player and has a big boot from the kicking tee too which is regularly used to good effect. I don't understand how he hasn't got a shot at this stage, even against a lesser nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

He's a cracking talent, played very well last week and left the Kearny bros grasping at thin air for his try..... But maybe he's suffering from Darren Cave syndrome with both the previous and present manager?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

nah, Daly can run fast :pac:

It's not like England don't know about him, someone linked to this try on reddit recently

SameDistantIndianrockpython.gif

I'm happy to see him self out to be honest! He's that type of player that would cause us problems, particularly off the bench.

• Advertisement

It's not like England don't know about him, someone linked to this try on reddit recently

SameDistantIndianrockpython.gif

I'm happy to see him self out to be honest! He's that type of player that would cause us problems, particularly off the bench.

Advertisement