Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is IRFU policy against a person's rights?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

do you really think a judge is qualified to pick the national team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I agree. It is a basic and fundamental human right. I expect to see the UN involved.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

In all seriousness, there could be something under the Treaty of Rome...freedom of movement etc. A stated policy which contravenes that could be an issue. "Less likely" is different to a blanket ban though. The powers that be could just contend that logistically his form is harder to assess, making him "less likely" to be picked. That shouldn't be an issue.

I can't speak for anyone else but I WANT THE TRUTH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

do you really think a judge is qualified to pick the national team?

If only that was the question asked.... But it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

In all seriousness, there could be something under the Treaty of Rome...freedom of movement etc. A stated policy which contravenes that could be an issue. "Less likely" is different to a blanket ban though. The powers that be could just contend that logistically his form is harder to assess, making him "less likely" to be picked. That shouldn't be an issue.

no, because he [madigan] would be paid by the Union for his time with Ireland if he is called up and it is the Union's [JS as head selector as such] choice as to who they employ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It's an interesting question because they are, essentially, treating him differently because he has moved elsewhere for work.

But while you have an inalienable right to earn a living, you have no right to be picked for your national team.

Madigan would have to prove restraint of trade and if he's now earning more than he would have at home or was offered a new contract here, he'd have no case.

So, no.

aimee1 wrote: »
    no, because he [madigan] would be paid by the Union for his time with Ireland if he is called up and it is the Union's [JS as head selector as such] choice as to who they employ.

That would not hold up at all.

In theory it would be discriminatory and restrict freedom of movement BUT they can cite trouble with getting players released, from foreign clubs, the fact that they are not able to assess him as easily as others based here etc.

They have good lawyers who will advise on the wordings etc.
    The IRFU don't have the carrot of money so need some kind of stick to keep players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Thanks for the genuine contributions folks.

Seems intrinsically unfair that someone can be held in less regard for national selection by the club and earning choices they make.

Is getting a national cap to be defined as "being paid for your time" ?

Being serious here, if there was case, how do you go about proving the sole and unique reason he is excluded from the team is his presence in France? Unless, you have a paper trail, Schmidt could simply say I think other players are playing better. Given he is not the first choice Irish 10 currently, and possibly not even the 2nd choice, you would have your work cut out.

Life is not fair by the way OP.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Being serious here, if there was case, how do you go about proving the sole and unique reason he is excluded from the team is his presence in France? Unless, you have a paper trail, Schmidt could simply say I think other players are playing better. Given he is not the first choice Irish 10 currently, and possibly not even the 2nd choice, you would have your work cut out.

Life is not fair by the way OP.

The fact that Nucifora publicly confirmed that this is IRFU policy would make that pretty easy to establish.

You would need to establish that the policy itself infringes his rights, and I don't think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I can't speak for anyone else but I WANT THE TRUTH

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think it's against my rights that I'm not selected for Ireland. Nevermind the fact that I'm a late 30 something, with a turning circle of an artic and the lung capacity of an asthmatic newt.

Now, South Africa picking players based on their race, I wouldn't fancy checking the legality of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The IRFU didn't seem to have such reservations about selecting Sexton while he was playing in France and I'm sure if Paul O'Connell was still available it wouldn't apply to him.

But I'd like to think that Joe Schmidt would have enough backbone to tell the IRFU what to do with their policy and let him pick the players he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The fact that Nucifora publicly confirmed that this is IRFU policy would make that pretty easy to establish.

You would need to establish that the policy itself infringes his rights, and I don't think it does.

I think everyone is missing the point here. Nucifora didn't say it was IRFU policy, he just said he would be at a disadvantage to the lads playing in Ireland.

Which he will. The IRFU have no say over T14 clubs. Sexton got it in his contract to attend Irish training camps when he signed for Racing, but he still had to go back to France during the 6N etc. Madigan will have to do the same and possibly wouldn't have got the same contract clauses.

Whichever way you look at it, he'll be at a disadvantage to his provincial counterparts.

I see nowhere in direct quotes, a reference to "policy".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

He could be saying that for other players also, say the likes of Zebo

The IRFU didn't seem to have such reservations about selecting Sexton while he was playing in France and I'm sure if Paul O'Connell was still available it wouldn't apply to him.

But I'd like to think that Joe Schmidt would have enough backbone to tell the IRFU what to do with their policy and let him pick the players he wants.

Nucifora didn't say "he won't be picked" he said, "less likely to be picked" or something to that effect.

Even without the aspect of trying to deter players going abroad, they will see a lot less of him playing for Bordeaux than they would at an Irish club.

They didn't say it about Sexton because he was so far out front they probably didn't need to see him play all that much.

Either way, no ones rights are infringed by this, selection for a national team falls under a different set of rules to regular employment. If Conor Murray was played at Lock and then dropped for poor performance he couldn't take a constructive dismissal claim for example.

I think everyone is missing the point here. Nucifora didn't say it was IRFU policy, he just he would be at a disadvantage to the lads playing in Ireland.

Which he will. The IRFU have no say over T14 clubs. Sexton got it in his contract to attend Irish training camps when he signed for Racing, but he still had to go back to France during the 6N etc. Madigan will have to do the same and possibly wouldn't have got the same contract clauses.

Whichever way you look at it, he'll be at a disadvantage to his provincial counterparts.

I see nowhere in that article a reference to "policy".

Just because he doesn't use the word "policy", that doesn't mean it isn't a policy. It absolutely 100% is policy and they are on the record to that effect.

The difficulty is in proving that the policy infringes his rights or is restraint of trade, neither of which are the case IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What 'rights' do you refer to ?

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Playing for Ireland is a job. If it could be established that the IRFU are discriminating against players based on the fact that they are employed elsewhere within the EU, it's likely that the players would have a case based on EU law.

• Advertisement

Just because he doesn't use the word "policy", that doesn't mean it isn't a policy. It absolutely 100% is policy and they are on the record to that effect.

The difficulty is in proving that the policy infringes his rights or is restraint of trade, neither of which are the case IMO.

Where "on the record"?

It's a bullcrap article. Look at the reference to his salary, It's made to look ridiculously low, but there's no way in hell that Madigan is on €80,000 as implied. The telling phrase "before his current contract". :rolleyes:

How many years "before his current contract"? That amount is usually what lads a year out of the academy get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It didn't do Geordan Murphy, Keith Wood or Simon Geoghegan much harm playing overseas, but not being involved in camps will have a effect on players selection, if its a toss up between 2 players chances are it'll be the 1 that's been around the most that'll be picked.

What 'rights' do you refer to ?

His employment rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Is it correct that the IRFU can discriminate against a player that decides to earn a living abroad for national selection?

Could this be challenged in a court?

Ian Madigan is the latest case:

"IRFU performance director David Nucifora stated last week that Madigan’s chances of a national call-up will now decrease. “Does it mean that he is at disadvantage behind the boys playing in Ireland? Yes, it does.”"

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ian-madigan-exit-will-put-irfu-policy-under-microscope-1.2478934

Rightly or wrongly, Joe places a lot of emphasis on performance in Irish Camp, unless Madigan has negotiated a release for these, his opportunities will naturally be diminished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

His employment rights.

His employment rights will be in France.

He would be a contractor to the IRFU should they choose to use his services for one off internationals. He will have no employment contract with them, and has no 'right' to one, nor right to be selected over their own employees or other non employees for one-off jobs.

His employment rights.

He is employed. By Bordeaux. Selection for Ireland is not his main source of income. It's a matter of fitness, competition, form and availability. His availability is now in question.

He said it would reduce not eliminate his chances IIRC. Given that sexton was still selected while in France you could just say that Madigan wasn't considered good enough if overlooked.

Anyway it's academic because it's not a human right and I don't think breaks employment law either as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

That would not hold up at all.

In theory it would be discriminatory and restrict freedom of movement BUT they can cite trouble with getting players released, from foreign clubs, the fact that they are not able to assess him as easily as others based here etc.

They have good lawyers who will advise on the wordings etc.
    The IRFU don't have the carrot of money so need some kind of stick to keep players

Madigan will no longer be an employee of the irfu and could only become a part time employee if selected for the national side. There is no way he can claim discrimination by someone he doesnt work for.

Edit - Madigan also knew he would be disadvantaged by leaving ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

His employment rights will be in France.

His employment rights will be in Europe.

• Advertisement

Where "on the record"?

It's a bullcrap article. Look at the reference to his salary, It's made to look ridiculously low, but there's no way in hell that Madigan is on €80,000 as implied. The telling phrase "before his current contract". :rolleyes:

How many years "before his current contract"? That amount is usually what lads a year out of the academy get.

What article?

Nucifora said during the week that moving abroad would harm a player's chances of being picked. It doesn't get much more on the record than that.

Advertisement