Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I play rugby or am I too small?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

If you are worried about getting injured, this will probably happen in a few small parts of the game, scrum, maul, ruck, line-out or getting/being tackled.
    If you are a forward then scrum, maul or line-out are a concern for you but as you don't have the "size" for this then you don't need to worry about that. A ruck will have injuries but the main area to watch, I would say, is the tackle area. If you are being tackled and get injured, there is not much you can do about that, these things happen in all contact sports. If you are doing the tackling, as long as you have a good technique, then you should be fine. This would be head behind the hips as you wrap the player around the waist and bring him to ground.

Enjoy the experience and take in as much advice as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

And I complete disagree with what you are saying.

Kids with years of experience and physical presence I think could at least hold their own but not a lad with no experience and of small frame.

You must coach the friendliest rugby going... Or perhaps tag rugby?

I would consider soccer and gaa requiring a lesser level of aggression and physical presence than rugby but even local level or under 18 in either category in Donegal runs and a pretty high and intense manner.

Even good players who have not put in enough work pre-season find it difficult.

You seem to want to fill the OP's head full of pipe dreams but renege and what is actually required of him to perhaps come close to fulfilling these dreams.
    Disagree based on what other than opinion? Have you coached? What experience do you have of dealing with beginners in rugby especially kids/teens?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Look, when the season is open again I will try to get to more trainings. It's just that it's hard to get a lift in.

I think it's time for this :
    /thread

Thanks for all the help TheLostSheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

And I complete disagree with what you are saying.

Kids with years of experience and physical presence I think could at least hold their own but not a lad with no experience and of small frame.

You must coach the friendliest rugby going... Or perhaps tag rugby?

I would consider soccer and gaa requiring a lesser level of aggression and physical presence than rugby but even local level or under 18 in either category in Donegal runs and a pretty high and intense manner.

Even good players who have not put in enough work pre-season find it difficult.

You seem to want to fill the OP's head full of pipe dreams but renege and what is actually required of him to perhaps come close to fulfilling these dreams.

I have a smallish frame and only got into rugby in my 20s, what you say isnt true at all and I started playing senior rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Disagree based on what other than opinion? Have you coached? What experience do you have of dealing with beginners in rugby especially kids/teens?

He clearly knows nothing about rugby, everything he says is rubbish, There is loads of lads who join our seconds team who never played but got into it late that are smallish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I am not a coach but I have played.
    And you seem to be side stepping my area of concern.

You seem to think because you are a coach this means something, every coach I ever had lied, there where always lads on the team who where never going to see the pitch but the coach during training would never tell them this, it was always the same, good job you are doing well but the truth was in a competitive game there could not cut it.

An entire season could come and go and these guys who went to training twice a week just would not get on.

He is 16, next session quite possibly 17 with NO team sport experience by his own admission.

My concern is not his size and it not even he has not played rugby it's that he does not seem to have played any team sports!

I am not saying he cannot play he could quite possibly be gifted at it but again it would be concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

He clearly knows nothing about rugby, everything he says is rubbish, There is loads of lads who join our seconds team who never played but got into it late that are smallish

Of all those lads who get into rugby late, how many at very least would have played another sport? GAA, soccer?

What about you? At 20 something did you come from a background of never playing sports?

I think you both are painting a very unfair picture and setting an expectation that the OP has yet to explore, you make out that it is easy and any body could walk onto a rugby team at any age no matter the experience no matter their size.

I have played at a fairly competitive level of sports most of my life, granted that is now behind me so I have no idea what either of you are talking about.

Perhaps you guys are looking at this like a mess around in the park I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Whether you think you are, or you aren't you are probably right.

Advertisement