Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I play rugby or am I too small?

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't buy the "there's a position for all shapes and sizes" argument really. I think you have to be either big (or at least not small) or you have to be fast (relatively). Someone who is light, small and slow is probably going to struggle.

If you are small, light and slow then I guess you'd have to be a glutton for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

db wrote: »
    @OP, my son is the same age and size as you. He has played rugby since he was 6 so he has a decent understanding of the game and knows how to look after himself. He has always been one of the smallest on the pitch but in the last year particularly as they have been training more with weights, some of the lads have grown massively. It is not unusual to see lads 6ft+ and 16 stone in the age bracket.

It is possible to take up the game in your late teens and be very successful but those guys would already have the athleticism and just need to worry about acquiring the skills. If you are small and "soft" you will be playing against guys who are much bigger than you and there is a chance you could get hurt. Training should be OK put any coach who would allow you play in a match would be irresponsible in my opinion.

Have you looked at taking up tag rugby which may be more suitable for starting off?
    Tag Rugby doesn't last that long and is not an organised for most part/most of the year and there wont be huge numbers playing at the OPs age.
    Why focus on people going on to be very successful. I highly doubt the OP is focusing or thinking like that. They simply want to take part, enjoy the sport.
    awec wrote: »
    I don't buy the "there's a position for all shapes and sizes" argument really. I think you have to be either big (or at least not small) or you have to be fast (relatively). Someone who is light, small and slow is probably going to struggle.

If you are small, light and slow then I guess you'd have to be a glutton for punishment.
    At social levels, and at age grade, there really is the position for all shapes and sizes. Someone who is light and small/slow isn't going to struggle depending on other skills/attributes they have

At social levels, and at age grade, there really is the position for all shapes and sizes. Someone who is light and small/slow isn't going to struggle depending on other skills/attributes they have

6'4", 67kg and no pace whatsoever. Where would you put me Lost Sheep? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

awec wrote: »
    6'4", 67kg and no pace whatsoever. Where would you put me Lost Sheep? :D

In the gym :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Should I give up rugby so? Some of the advice here is certainly pointing towards me giving it up. I am scared of injuries(fear not caused by any of you) i was thinking about giving it up in place of road cycling and road cycling racing. Advice? If you want me to start a new thread rather than continuing this thread, just ask and I will.

• Advertisement

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Should I give up rugby so? Some of the advice here is certainly pointing towards me giving it up. I am scared of injuries(fear not caused by any of you) i was thinking about giving it up in place of road cycling and road cycling racing. Advice? If you want me to start a new thread rather than continuing this thread, just ask and I will.
    No you shouldn't give up and having trained a lot with cyclists and racers and am thinking if I get the time next year to possibly take up some racing that injury is higher in racing so if scared of injury you're making wrong move if looking at bike racing...
    No don't give up. See what next season brings.
    Where will you be playing next season/where were you playing this season (general area). You will still be playing age grade youths rugby so don't worry about physical size too much

No you shouldn't give up and having trained a lot with cyclists and racers and am thinking if I get the time next year to possibly take up some racing that injury is higher in racing so if scared of injury you're making wrong move if looking at bike racing... No don't give up. See what next season brings. Where will you be playing next season/where were you playing this season (general area). You will still be playing age grade youths rugby so don't worry about physical size too much

I don't know where I am playing yet until open season. I am slowly getting over my fear of injury. I keep saying to myself worrying you are going to get injured will get you injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I don't know where I am playing yet until open season. I am slowly getting over my fear of injury. I keep saying to myself worrying you are going to get injured will get you injured.

If you play with a fear of getting injured then you aren't in the right mindset to play any team sport as you will avoid any contact situation for fear of injury and you won't be any good on the field of play. Expect a few bumps and bruises and you will be fine, just fine. Trust me, the injuries can and do happen but they are not common but I've seen worse on a soccer field and from tag than from contact rugby. And I include myself in that list of injuries.

More likely to get properly hurt in soccer really. Harder to control aggression and be accurate in tackling when using your legs than it is when using your upper body.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Your coach will put you on when you're ready for contact, and not before. Don't sweat it. Don't let anyone tell you you're too small, just train hard, learn, and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice! I am not giving it up now. I feel way better now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Hi OP - just a little confused by this thread and finding it a little difficult to follow your thinking.

You thought about giving it up for road cycling??
    It for me is just a weird thing to say....

It almost sound like you got up one morning and thought "Right I want to play a sport" and started picking things out of hat.

You are 16 what sports have you played up until now? What sports do you play with your mates? At school?

Rugby or road cycling is just a weird contrast.

You see I have always been interested in both Road cycling and rugby and it's more choose one rather than the two because u am tight for money. That's why I was asking about giving rugby up for it. But I am not giving up rugby anymore and now will try to do both.

You see I have always been interested in both Road cycling and rugby and it's more choose one rather than the two because u am tight for money. That's why I was asking about giving rugby up for it. But I am not giving up rugby anymore and now will try to do both.

Which now brings me to another thing.
    I had a friend very good road cyclist..... Guy is super fit but he carry's no weight, no excess fat. The frame of a cyclist I would not say is consistent with the frame of a rugby player....

But never mind all that, what sports have you played before?

Hi OP - just a little confused by this thread and finding it a little difficult to follow your thinking.

You thought about giving it up for road cycling??
    It for me is just a weird thing to say....

It almost sound like you got up one morning and thought "Right I want to play a sport" and started picking things out of hat.

You are 16 what sports have you played up until now? What sports do you play with your mates? At school?

Rugby or road cycling is just a weird contrast.
    Road cycling Isnt really a weird contrast in some extent. I think you are being unfair to the OP a slight bit.
    Road cycling will be extremely expensive compared to rugby. Do you have a bike and what quality is it. Would you have a club/group to train with? As a 16 year old you would be in junior category and racing with the A3 mens category?

I don't know what level I would be cycling with. It is very expensive I know. But I have a summer job so that will help. But I have nearly blown my first wage on rugby gear! So they are both as expensive. That was off sports direct and that's supposed to be cheap! The shipping is what peeves me off the most. Well I bought shorts off pro direct rugby just there and shipping 8 something so for one pair of rugby shorts 23.50 euro including shipping.

Road cycling Isnt really a weird contrast in some extent. I think you are being unfair to the OP a slight bit.

Road cycling will be extremely expensive compared to rugby. Do you have a bike and what quality is it. Would you have a club/group to train with? As a 16 year old you would be in junior category and racing with the A3 mens category?

Look what I am getting at it this.
    I think the OP is interested in things perhaps he watches on TV and now wants to give them a go, nothing wrong with that.

I am just trying to gauge what the OP has done up until now, what sports has he played what sports was he good at, what sports does he enjoy.

The OP originally was worried about his size, cycling is one of those sports that will keep weight and even muscle size down, very hard to gain when you are doing extensive aerobic exercise.

I lean body is easier to push on 80Km cycles, a lean body is not so well cushioned when a 16 year old at 200lbs crashes into you.

If he said weight lifting and rugby... that I could maybe understand.

I don't know what level I would be cycling with. It is very expensive I know. But I have a summer job so that will help. But I have nearly blown my first wage on rugby gear! So they are both as expensive. That was off sports direct and that's supposed to be cheap! The shipping is what peeves me off the most. Well I bought shorts off pro direct rugby just there and shipping 8 something so for one pair of rugby shorts 23.50 euro including shipping.

Do you have a bike of any kind?

I would not worry about buying expensive equipment just yet, I am sure you could borrow a bike.

My worry is you go out and buy all this stuff, realise you do not like it or it is not for you then this equipment gathers dust in the shed...

Coming back why are you interested in cycling? Do you cycle much?

What sports have you played? Or do you play currently?

But you're 16 so you will be in the junior ranks if you take cycling road racing up for 2017 as you wont be a youth. Rugby is much much cheaper. They are not as expensive as each other. You will be paying to enter races etc.

Ya. I have nearly decided to leave cycling off until I leave college.

• Advertisement

Do you have a bike of any kind?

I would not worry about buying expensive equipment just yet, I am sure you could borrow a bike.

My worry is you go out and buy all this stuff, realise you do not like it or it is not for you then this equipment gathers dust in the shed...

Coming back why are you interested in cycling? Do you cycle much?

What sports have you played? Or do you play currently?
    I have a mountain bike and I enjoy cycling it on the road so I thought I would take Road cycling up because it is much easier and faster to cycle on the road with a road bike. Mountain bikes are best kept to trails!

I have not played any other sports. Although I did try both soccer and garlic football before I took up rugby and I didn't enjoy these as much as I enjoy rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

My brother was much the same size as you when he started out, except probably even lighter. Had a good run at scrummie, he's a mouthy little bugger so he went well there. Now he's 6"1 and plays centre. Puberty is a handy thing sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

The frame of a cyclist I would not say is consistent with the frame of a rugby player....

Depends on the cyclist...

Eigylyt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

ShowMeTheCash seems to be very against the idea of the OP playing rugby.

ShowMe; Leave him alone, let him play if he wants.

OP; ignore him. Play.

Nermal wrote: »
    Depends on the cyclist...

Eigylyt.png

I love the way people jump in with these edge cases or people who are physical oddities to make a case.

I knew a guy once who started rugby in his 20s now he is the Irish Captain..... Or looking at a single player among 1000s who might fit the description in the OP.

ShowMeTheCash seems to be very against the idea of the OP playing rugby.

ShowMe; Leave him alone, let him play if he wants.

OP; ignore him. Play.

I am not against the OP playing, not at all.
    I am against a young lad being thrown to the lions in a sport that requires at very least a certain amount of physical ability.

I have seen lads in sports like Rugby or GAA and even MMA get hurt then listened to people on the side lines say things like.
    "That lad should never of been in there..." or "Who let him play..."

This idea that "if you try hard" or that "talking part is all that matters" is a complete nonsense when it comes to sports where there is high paced physical collisions.

The OP now says he does not really play sports he did try soccer and GAA.

People who are good at one sport are usually good at another.
    Games like soccer or gaa or even rugby requires a certain level of spacial awareness, speed and agility.

Kids who play sports from a young age learn this, some kids are gifted more than others but most kids learn pretty fast how to move how to run and how to avoid seriously hurting themselves.

I have watched lads play sports who never play sports and you can sport them a mile away, they do not move right they are awkward and usually it is not too long before they hurt themselves or someone else.

The OP is training with a team which is good, the coaches will know when he is ready, but we will not play he will train and practice.

When his coaches think he is ready then of course he can play but not before I would consider it irresponsible to think otherwise.

I am not against the OP playing, not at all.
    I am against a young lad being thrown to the lions in a sport that requires at very least a certain amount of physical ability.

I have seen lads in sports like Rugby or GAA and even MMA get hurt then listened to people on the side lines say things like.
    "That lad should never of been in there..." or "Who let him play..."

This idea that "if you try hard" or that "talking part is all that matters" is a complete nonsense when it comes to sports where there is high paced physical collisions.

The OP now says he does not really play sports he did try soccer and GAA.

People who are good at one sport are usually good at another.
    Games like soccer or gaa or even rugby requires a certain level of spacial awareness, speed and agility.

Kids who play sports from a young age learn this, some kids are gifted more than others but most kids learn pretty fast how to move how to run and how to avoid seriously hurting themselves.

I have watched lads play sports who never play sports and you can sport them a mile away, they do not move right they are awkward and usually it is not too long before they hurt themselves or someone else.

The OP is training with a team which is good, the coaches will know when he is ready, but we will not play he will train and practice.

When his coaches think he is ready then of course he can play but not before I would consider it irresponsible to think otherwise.
    The OP is a teenager who will be playing youths rugby. We are not talking about someone who is a complete novice looking to play adult rugby at a high level.
    Yes there is a potential to get hurt but as long as they are coached and trained then its fine. If they receive the right training its ok and I don't see why you have to say they shouldn't.
    I don't think anyone has said that the OP wont be playing before his coaches thinks he will be ready to.

The OP is a teenager who will be playing youths rugby. We are not talking about someone who is a complete novice looking to play adult rugby at a high level.
    Yes there is a potential to get hurt but as long as they are coached and trained then its fine. If they receive the right training its ok and I don't see why you have to say they shouldn't.
    I don't think anyone has said that the OP wont be playing before his coaches thinks he will be ready to.

I never said the OP shouldn't play Rugby I am simply highlighting very real concerns, I wanted to understand the OP's background in sports and why now he wants to play Rugby.

I understand giving people encouragement is good but personally being totally unrealistic can equally be dangerous.

Truthfully the OP needs to put in a lot of work, 5 training sessions in 6 months is not going to cut it.
    He needs to be hitting the gym working on his cardio and attending regular training sessions.

A guy with no experience in team sports is going to find this hard and guy with no experience in team sports and one of the smallest in the team is going to find this extremely hard.

My advice is this, go hard or go home... There are other sports you can play that does not involve people trying to smash into you. Rugby is not one of those "half in half out" kind of sports.

I never said the OP shouldn't play Rugby I am simply highlighting very real concerns, I wanted to understand the OP's background in sports and why now he wants to play Rugby.

I understand giving people encouragement is good but personally being totally unrealistic can equally be dangerous.

Truthfully the OP needs to put in a lot of work, 5 training sessions in 6 months is not going to cut it.
    He needs to be hitting the gym working on his cardio and attending regular training sessions.

A guy with no experience in team sports is going to find this hard and guy with no experience in team sports and one of the smallest in the team is going to find this extremely hard.

My advice is this, go hard or go home... There are other sports you can play that does involve people trying to smash into you Rugby is not one of those "half in half out" kind of sports.
    That isn't really true. You don't have to "go hard or go home" to play the game comfortably and be ok at under 16/18 level.
    Speaking as a coach and referee I go through this regularly each and every season and what I have said as advice to the OP is far from unrealistic.
    Yes the OP needs to train more but hitting the gym isn't totally needed to do ok for very much social rugby

• Advertisement

That isn't really true. You don't have to "go hard or go home" to play the game comfortably and be ok at under 16/18 level.
    Speaking as a coach and referee I go through this regularly each and every season and what I have said as advice to the OP is far from unrealistic.
    Yes the OP needs to train more but hitting the gym isn't totally needed to do ok for very much social rugby

And I complete disagree with what you are saying.

Kids with years of experience and physical presence I think could at least hold their own but not a lad with no experience and of small frame.

You must coach the friendliest rugby going... Or perhaps tag rugby?

I would consider soccer and gaa requiring a lesser level of aggression and physical presence than rugby but even local level or under 18 in either category in Donegal runs and a pretty high and intense manner.

Even good players who have not put in enough work pre-season find it difficult.

You seem to want to fill the OP's head full of pipe dreams but renege and what is actually required of him to perhaps come close to fulfilling these dreams.

Advertisement