Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Porter Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I did a interview with Al years ago. It always was his dream to do a show like this. So not fair to say RTE force this onto him. I don't know if this suppose to be the star of regular thing (I hope not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I've read some rubbish on boards, but this beats it all.
    He's not funny and relies heavily on the fact he's gay to try and force a laugh. I hadn't seen one sign of bigotry on this threaduntil you pressed the hysteria button and mentioned it.
    When license fee payers are subjected to untalented performers such as Mr Porter or Pants Bliss it's a legitimate point that they may be there solely in the name of quotas as opposed to merit.
    It saddens me to think there may be good talents in this country who are being overlooked simply because they do not fit into a minority quota.

Really? Beats it all? I can't say the same of that declaration because, although rubbish, it is vapid from over-use.

How can you say he's not funny when the crowd is audibly laughing? Gay themes often aren't to my taste. And I acknowledge that over-reliance on a single theme suggests immaturity. But comedy is subjective, and many find him funny. Mrs Brown's Boys (good deal of camp humour, I imagine) is very popular around Xmas time, so an Al Porter show would seem to be a good commission.

As it happens, I don't like Panti Bliss either (see how much we agree on?). But a lot of people do, Rory O'Neill was effectively the face of one of the most significant social advances in modern Ireland (there will be Xmas programmes in decades to come about him) and the act is now one of the most well-known in the country. The case against his programme is even weaker.

And then you go and entertain the ridiculous suggestion that there might be a gay quota and I wonder why I bothered replying to you. Don't expect another.

Austria! wrote: »
    How are they intricate? Can you give an example?

An example? Presumably you would like something more detailed than, "This routine I saw about X..." But I could barely give a detailed account of the routines of some of my favourite comedians, never mind him.

I said they were more intricate. One Celsius is warmer than zero, but still cold. I don't know enough of his material to be able to say whether I think it is objectively intricate, but I maintain, having seen him twice (I didn't specifically go to see him, in case that compromises my objectivity!), that he's a competent comedian who is more talented than the hysterical posts of this thread would suggest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I'll say one thing for Al, he's funnier than those two.

Gay Byrne is a talkshow host and Catherine Thomas used to do some travel programme.Not the best comparisions for a standup comic really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I find it hard to believe he has no family connection in RTE, is that true?

Can't only imagine he's connected to someone within the RTE family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

He's openly gay and extremely camp. That seems to be enough become a comedian these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Danye wrote: »
    He's openly gay and extremely camp. That seems to be enough become a comedian these days.

Just like being straight was enough to become an anything on TV for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Danye wrote: »

Can you back that statement up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

darkdubh wrote: »
    Gay Byrne is a talkshow host and Catherine Thomas used to do some travel programme.Not the best comparisions for a standup comic really.

Have you never heard the phrase "Damned with faint praise?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Al Porter is funny, but he's really gonna have to advance from the cheap gay jokes at some stage.

I would challenge you regarding your statement that Al Porter is funny. Aside from that, the cheap gay jokes are all that he has. 'Look at me, I'm from Tallaght and I'm gay' is his one and only style of 'comedy'.
    I did a interview with Al years ago. It always was his dream to do a show like this. So not fair to say RTE force this onto him. I don't know if this suppose to be the star of regular thing (I hope not).

It's a very, very cheap rip off of the John Bishop show. I fear that we may see more of it. RTE is pushing a serious wedge of the budget into programmes relating to 1916, so they need to find cheap content to fill the rest of the schedule. This kind of stuff fits the bill perfectly.
    darkdubh wrote: »

And Gay was an excellent chat show host to be fair to him. Kathryn Thomas was an excellent host of 'No Frontiers' too. Al isn't excellent ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He is possibly the worst performer on RTE at the moment and that is really saying something.RTE know how to produce **** TV but this is a new low.

****ing shocking bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As I mentioned elsewhere I saw him live once and it was great craic....That was a small venue...he has the skills to hold a room but he's too young and lacks material to have his own show ...he will be successful though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

"Oooo matron.."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

As I mentioned elsewhere I saw him live once and it was great craic....That was a small venue...he has the skills to hold a room but he's too young and lacks material to have his own show ...he will be successful though

He's from Tallaght and he's gay seem to be the main thrust of his jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Was it a community centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Repeated in half an hour on RTÉ2 for anyone who missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Just like being straight was enough to become an anything on TV for decades.

Obviously as most people are STRAIGHT.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Obviously as most people are STRAIGHT.

Are they?

Repeated in half an hour on RTÉ2 for anyone who missed it.

Looking to ruin a good night in for a few people?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

She's hilarious also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Bring back Twink I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

tippman1 wrote: »
    Bring back Twink I say.

To which Al would no doubt say:

"Whoy, is this twink not good enough for ya"

*everybody falls over laughing*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just watched this now. My first thoughts go out to those who paid money into the Olympia to see this sh!te.

That was truly terrible. It was like RTE thought the 70's & 80's were back in fashion. F*ck sake, i shouldn't be surprised, but i am that RTE can air that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nick Grimshaw is a sh*t magician

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Never in my life have I watched such a pile of a sh..e programme, it must rank as the worst programme ever on RTE, shame on them for putting it on

It was so bad, just so awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Saw him in the international one night and thought he was pretty good. Anything else I've ever seen him involved with has been horrendous though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He was hilarious taking off Francis Brennenan on the late late, so much so Francis came out as A Sexual a few days later.
    He really belongs in a Carry on Movie though.

He was hilarious taking off Francis Brennenan on the late late, so much so Francis came out as A Sexual a few days later.
    He really belongs in a Carry on Movie though.

Francis or Al Porter? I think Francis is a naturally brilliant character.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Berserker wrote: »

I meant Al but there both perfect for it. There's a few more characters floating around rte as well they've enough to make the movie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Aye, the man is very witty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I don't know what it is about Francis, but he is just extremely likeable. I love it on At Your Service when they have a big event at the end of the refurbishment, and Francis is playing host. "Ah go on Mary, sure you're fading away to nothing, have another potato". He's gas altogether.

Advertisement