Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Porter Show

Options
  • 24-12-2015 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭

Never in my life have I watched such a pile of a sh..e programme, it must rank as the worst programme ever on RTE, shame on them for putting it on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

He must have some dirt on people high up in RTE to say that he gets so much screen time.
    He is dreadfully unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

PJ Gallagher .... Sweet Jesus that was brutal. Absolutely shocking comedy. There has to be some intelligent comics in this country who actually are funny and not interested in whoring themselves on TV for a fat check. Jason Byrne, PJ Gallagher, Des Bishop and all the rest of the hacks can get in the sea !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

At least Gallagher promised not to tell that story again!! I only wished he had promised months ago!!

That story ... Seriously he sat down and prepared that routine ! FFS but people will still pay good money to see him in Vicar street. He's been dining out on Jake Stephens for years now.

Don't get me started on Jason Byrne on late late and ray Darcy show. It's just painful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

PJ Gallagher .... Sweet Jesus that was brutal.

He was desperately nervous. The story wasnt that funny to begin with, and shouting like Tommy Tiernan didnt make the story any funnier.

Al Porter is funny, but he's really gonna have to advance from the cheap gay jokes at some stage.

• Advertisement

Don't think he was nervous. Think that's his demeanour. He's been doing shows long enough to be used to the stage. He's just not a gifted comedian unfortunately. Ireland is full of journey men when it comes to comedy !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I nearly had to watch. Luckily, between the swings and roundabouts, we'd paused live tv on the movie beforehand for about 45 minutes all in. All it took was to 'accidentally' change channels for a moment and it all went away. Close one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ireland is full of journey men when it comes to comedy !

And most of those journeys would be short strolls elsewhere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

How did that gob****e get on the telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,445 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It wasn't live and wasn't funny, going on and on about gayer jokes over and over again was in about 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Red King wrote: »

He seems to be on TLLS every second week

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Watching " knowing me knowing Yule" Alan partridge last night...remember the cook dressed in drag that kept telling the smutty jokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kawasaki1100

Who is Al Porter anyway, how is he getting so much airtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Who is Al Porter anyway, how is he getting so much airtime?

All in the name of equlity, him and panti bliss yesterday is enough to make baby Jesus cry, I wonder what we're going to be treated to today..

Edit
    Sweet Jeaus, just checked to see what our equality of the day is, and we get Panti again to talk us through the highs and lows of 2015. Whoop Whoop thanks RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

All in the name of equlity, him and panti bliss yesterday is enough to make baby Jesus cry, I wonder what we're going to be treated to today..

The fantastically funny Mrs Brown !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

He meets the gay comedian quota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Watching " knowing me knowing Yule" Alan partridge last night...remember the cook dressed in drag that kept telling the smutty jokes?

...and kept rubbing Alan up the wrong way (ooh, pardon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I didn't watch as the ads for it said it was going to be crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I am a frequent comedy watcher whose favourite comedians would probably be considered at the other end of the spectrum from Al Porter and his kind. But even I can see that he is a very commanding performer (before considering his young age) whose routines are more intricate than the outrageous camp of yore. By all means express your dislike for the staid themes, but you're exposing your ignorance if you criticise his ability.

And to those bemoaning supposed gay quotas, you are bigots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Apparently he has a gig in ucc soon.
    I've never heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

qweerty wrote: »
    I am a frequent comedy watcher whose favourite comedians would probably be considered at the other end of the spectrum from Al Porter and his kind. But even I can see that he is a very commanding performer (before considering his young age) whose routines are more intricate than the outrageous camp of yore. By all means express your dislike for the staid themes, but you're exposing your ignorance if you criticise his ability.

There's only one thing wrong with young Al-he's just not funny.

Never a good starting point for any comedian no matter how many intricacies he displays....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The reason I don't like him is cause I don't find his act funny, he's very poor on the radio aswell. I've never meet someone who finds him hilarious Obviously RTE think differently but then again they given careers to people like Katherine Thomas/Gay Byrne with little talents for decades

The reason I don't like him is cause I don't find his act funny, he's very poor on the radio aswell. I've never meet someone who finds him hilarious Obviously RTE think differently but then again they given careers to people like Katherine Thomas/Gay Byrne with little talents for decades
    I'll say one thing for Al, he's funnier than those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Say it again?

Say it again?

Apologies, it's fixed now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I remember seeing Porter doing some sort of mini reports on something. ... think it was a music festival, the time there were all the rumours that Beyonce had been spotted in a local Spar buying Tayto..... Anyway, they sent Al off to investigate and he was wandering around Spar interviewing random shoppers. It was all off the cuff and actually quite funny. He was very quick and witty.
    As seems to be the problem with everyone involved with RTÉ though he doesn't work quite as well in other formats. RTÉ has an awful habit of taking someone half decent and shoving them into any old format and then ringing the life out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,445 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find it hard to believe he has no family connection in RTE, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I've read some rubbish on boards, but this beats it all.
    He's not funny and relies heavily on the fact he's gay to try and force a laugh. I hadn't seen one sign of bigotry on this threaduntil you pressed the hysteria button and mentioned it.
    When license fee payers are subjected to untalented performers such as Mr Porter or Pants Bliss it's a legitimate point that they may be there solely in the name of quotas as opposed to merit.
    It saddens me to think there may be good talents in this country who are being overlooked simply because they do not fit into a minority quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

But even I can see that he is a very commanding performer (before considering his young age) whose routines are more intricate than the outrageous camp of yore. By all means express your dislike for the staid themes, but you're exposing your ignorance if you criticise his ability.

How are they intricate? Can you give an example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Same way as Tiernan got on the telly

Advertisement