Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power city sale

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

The Apps will only work for as long as the TV is supported (a few years) then you'll be buying an external box anyway so buy TV on Spec rather than sh!t software.

Ah yeah I'm well clued into the software being outdatd in a few years, the thing is though the spec of the Sony x85 TVs are the best for the price.

It's the spec that and picture quality is what is leading us to getting it. I'm just worried about the software causing us headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hysenberg

Doge wrote: »
    Ah yeah I'm well clued into the software being outdatd in a few years, the thing is though the spec of the Sony x85 TVs are the best for the price.

It's the spec that and picture quality is what is leading us to getting it. I'm just worried about the software causing us headaches.

Hi,
    My brother and I got a droidstar titan android smart box last week. I'm not really sure how they work. My brother sold it to me as a box that makes a normal TV into a smart TV?
    If so, what kind of telly would suit us to buy?

hysenberg wrote: »
    Hi,
    My brother and I got a droidstar titan android smart box last week. I'm not really sure how they work. My brother sold it to me as a box that makes a normal TV into a smart TV?
    If so, what kind of telly would suit us to buy?

Basically any TV with HDMI in which is just about any TV on the market! :)

The smart functions are in the box, your TV will display what's on the box.

If I've misinterpreted your question, apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Smurph90 wrote: »
    That website is horrendous

It looks poor, but from a recent search it has some filtering options that help when pinning down what it is you want.
    If you want poor filtering options, see adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hysenberg

Basically any TV with HDMI in which is just about any TV on the market! :)

The smart functions are in the box, your TV will display what's on the box.

If I've misinterpreted your question, apologies!

Thanks so much for your help, I wouldn't know much about tv's at all!

So if the box has smart functions then the idea is you buy one for a basic tv?

And what would be the main uses of a smart box, can you connect to the internet and stream sport and movies? Or is it more for netflix and the rte player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

BobPresto wrote:
    Heads up, Kodi is available in the play store on that TV

Great tv I have one, youtube app is a bit glitchy on it, I took out a sub with smartdnsproxy.com and have American netflix on it,

So it appears we will be buying a Sony x85 tomorrow.

Should anyone here know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Never pay the price advertised, always haggle. Don't be shy, ask and you shall receive, don't ask and you will pay 1100.

How exactly does haggling with Harvey Norman work?

Looking at a TV currently down to €1299, can I reasonably expect them to respond positively if I say "nah I'll only offer 1200" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

mrcheez wrote: »
    How exactly does haggling with Harvey Norman work?

Looking at a TV currently down to €1299, can I reasonably expect them to respond positively if I say "nah I'll only offer 1200" ?

No, you can't. I asked them to match DID or some other B&M years ago, JUST MATCH THEM, as they were abit of a drive away and I got a flat NO.

But no harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

So it appears we will be buying a Sony x85 tomorrow.

Should anyone here know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace. ;)

Is this the model you plan on buying?

• Advertisement

xECompanyx wrote: »
    I have a Sony 49 inch 4k android TV KD-49X8307C for the last 6 months. Smooth OS, no bugs, don't believe the negative bull****te, it's a super TV. Kodi works brilliantly. You can even install mobdro and showbox using ES file explorer..
    BobPresto wrote: »
    I bought the 43" KDL43W755C at the start of November and only found all the bad reviews as I was reading up on setting Kodi up on it, but I havent had any problems yet. You can also google cast any video or audio from an Android phone or Chrome browser:D
    slave1 wrote: »
    Snap, have one the last few months, no issues, installed Kodi and working fine with Zeus, Phoenix etc etc

Just wanted to say thanks a lot to you guys for the reassurance,
    set it all up today and the menus show very little lag, no bugs so far. :)

Took a while to get a decent picture on it, the default is very dull and dark looking, but the colour is amazing after you tweak it a lot.

Found the blue colours need to be turned down the most, with greens second, red stays on max.

Any of you know if you can side load Sky Go via USB?

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Is this the model you plan on buying?

Yep, we went for the KD-55x8509C.

It was down to €1299 in Harvey Norman, which was €200 off since a few days ago.

Have to say for a 55 incher, it was really light to lift and drop onto the stand comparted to our old plasma TV.

One thing about it is that its a short stand, so if you have a soundbar in front of it it can block the IR receiver resulting in remote only working when pointed above the soundbar in a specific location. So we put the Soundbar on the shelf underneath it and it was sorted.

I saw someone complaining in the UK that remote didnt respond half the time, and I reckon this was the reason why.

Just wanted to say thanks a lot to you guys for the reassurance,
    set it all up today and the menus show very little lag, no bugs so far. :)

Took a while to get a decent picture on it, the default is very dull and dark looking, but the colour is amazing after you tweak it a lot.

Found the blue colours need to be turned down the most, with greens second, red stays on max.

Any of you know if you can side load Sky Go via USB?

Yep, we went for the KD-55x8509C.

It was down to €1299 in Harvey Norman, which was €200 off since a few days ago.

Have to say for a 55 incher, it was really light to lift and drop onto the stand comparted to our old plasma TV.

One thing about it is that its a short stand, so if you have a soundbar in front of it it can block the IR receiver resulting in remote only working when pointed above the soundbar in a specific location. So we put the Soundbar on the shelf underneath it and it was sorted.

I saw someone complaining in the UK that remote didnt respond half the time, and I reckon this was the reason why.

Hmm thinking of getting the same model myself, the guy said he'll offer me the same €1,299 if I go along tomorrow despite the fact it's €1,389 on the website.

Although I just spotted Richer Sounds are offering the same with 6 years warranty instead of Harvey Normans 5 years...

Hmm.. might chance my arm and haggle for a better deal.

Never haggled in Ireland, normally reserve it for Marrakesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

I bought recently x8509 picture is brilliant, software is not great but they (sony) keep working on it few of updates allredy, have it for a month. 5yrs warranty is from sony not from harvey which is better. One year not make big difference, but you can always send it back if you buy online and you dont like it. Richer is good in this as i found in internet.

4motion wrote: »
    I bought recently x8509 picture is brilliant, software is not great but they (sony) keep working on it few of updates allredy, have it for a month. 5yrs warranty is from sony not from harvey which is better. One year not make big difference, but you can always send it back if you buy online and you dont like it. Richer is good in this as i found in internet.

Pretty much what I've read (software issues vs hardware, which are easier to fix through updates) although some people are saying the Dual core isn't powerful enough for Google Apps (Quad Core is preferred).

Have you had any slowdown streaming 4K content, or using Kodi?

To be honest this TV will probably last me 6 years, before I go OLED or whatever the latest technology is in 2022 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

I played some 4k from youtube was very good i would like to have more sources 4k picture its looking stunning i have Kodi but i was to busy to instal plugins and now I'm to lazy. Big size movies from pendrive playing very good anyone who is comming to my house is saying that picture is great. if you watch mostly from sky box or harddrive this tv will be good I think.

Advertisement