Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power city sale

Options
  • 24-12-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

http://www.powercity.ie

Some decent deals here. 48" smart Sony for 629 looks good.

Would there be much room for haggling if I was to buy 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Wouldnt think so, if you bought 5 then perhaps.

maybe you could get them to drop the delivery charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

rumar wrote: »

If you brought down cold hard cash they probably would, how much is hard to know, I'd say 5% would be the absolute max there would be a hope of and that even is tight as it's a good brand and good spec. If it was me I would try to get some accessories thrown in rather than a cash discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

48" smart Sony for 629 looks good.
    DID & Currys are both selling it for 699 (sale price from 999), so maybe not much haggle room. As said, get free accessories, possibly a wallmount if that's your thing, or maybe a soundbar or a reduction on a decent soundbar that they also have for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Bought a Sony KDL55W755CBU just before xmas having looked around a while. At the time it was 1299 in Power City and in the sale it is reduced to 1150 or there abouts. Same TV when I bought it was 919 in Argos and they had 10% off so I got it for just over 829. Never thought of buying such a thing in Argos but at that price it was a steal and its a great TV. No need for two boxes as TV has netflix, youtube etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

The Sony 65 is a great deal at 1699 with 5 year warranty.

Same tv in Harvey go norman is 1849 and 4 year warranty is 429

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That website - it hurts my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Is it just tvs looking for a deal on the Garmin running watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Look at the amazon warehouse deals 30% off thing. Got forerunner 610 with heart rate monitor for 102 euro delivered. Refurb and no manual but looks brand new and seems to work perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

fulhamfan wrote: »
    Bought a Sony KDL55W755CBU just before xmas having looked around a while. At the time it was 1299 in Power City and in the sale it is reduced to 1150 or there abouts. Same TV when I bought it was 919 in Argos and they had 10% off so I got it for just over 829. Never thought of buying such a thing in Argos but at that price it was a steal and its a great TV. No need for two boxes as TV has netflix, youtube etc etc
    Heads up, Kodi is available in the play store on that TV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

The Sony 65 is a great deal at 1699 with 5 year warranty.

Same tv in Harvey go norman is 1849 and 4 year warranty is 429

Save 429 by not taking a warranty that is pointless in 99.9% of situations anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Smurph90

That website is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

We were extremely close to pulling the trigger on a Sony Android TV recently.

But I did hours of research and they are absolutely plagued with bugs and issues.

If you dont believe me just look at the Sony Community forums, the amount of people returning them is crazy.

The UK firmware in particular is more buggy and wont be updated now until the end of March.

The Irish firmware fairs better.

Just something to be aware of before purchasing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xECompanyx

I have a Sony 49 inch 4k android TV KD-49X8307C for the last 6 months. Smooth OS, no bugs, don't believe the negative bull****te, it's a super TV. Kodi works brilliantly. You can even install mobdro and showbox using ES file explorer..

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I know a good knack how to haggle successfull with Powercity!

If you go to order fill out everything fir the purchase but then refrain from paying at the final step.

Abandon it snd then within minutes you will receive a call from a powercity rep. They will ask you why didbyou not proceed etc abd tgen the haggling can commense. Worked for me secesal times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

xECompanyx wrote: »
    I have a Sony 49 inch 4k android TV KD-49X8307C for the last 6 months. Smooth OS, no bugs, don't believe the negative bull****te, it's a super TV. Kodi works brilliantly. You can even install mobdro and showbox using ES file explorer..
    I bought the 43" KDL43W755C at the start of November and only found all the bad reviews as I was reading up on setting Kodi up on it, but I havent had any problems yet. You can also google cast any video or audio from an Android phone or Chrome browser:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I know a good knack how to haggle successfull with Powercity!

If you go to order fill out everything fir the purchase but then refrain from paying at the final step.

Abandon it snd then within minutes you will receive a call from a powercity rep. They will ask you why didbyou not proceed etc abd tgen the haggling can commense. Worked for me secesal times. :)

Huw menu timse is secesal?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smurph90 wrote: »
    That website is horrendous

Developed in house.

Powercity don't go for fancy shops etc and are massively profitable as a result. Family firm still.

They will negotiate on price when there's a sale to be made - not as hard as Harvey Norman will but the prices are often much lower to begin with

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

xECompanyx wrote: »

Snap, have one the last few months, no issues, installed Kodi and working fine with Zeus, Phoenix etc etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,163 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They have the samsung 8" tab s2 for 350€, although reviews do say it's battery live isn't as good as old model
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-8054285

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

Well the positive feedback on the Sony TVs here is certainly reassuring.

Anyone else encounter problems?

A lot of the problems in the UK come from using Youview and the digital tuner, we would only be using it with a Sky HD box and android apps so we might get away with it.

Would really aporeciate more feedback from owners as I'm in 2 minds about getting one now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They have the samsung 8" tab s2 for 350€, although reviews do say it's battery live isn't as good as old model
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-8054285

This piqued my interest - on the look out for a new android tablet and very few seem to have lollipop or above. Looks a nice piece of kit and the best price I have seen it for - £300 or so on amazon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mick23

[QUOTE

Would there be much room for haggling if I was to buy 2?[/QUOTE]

It's 649 with richer sounds.ie with a 6 year guarantee , would this not be a better deal .? And the power city site has it at 639..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

L1011 wrote: »
    Developed in house.

Powercity don't go for fancy shops etc and are massively profitable as a result. Family firm still.

They will negotiate on price when there's a sale to be made - not as hard as Harvey Norman will but the prices are often much lower to begin with

Sorry to go off topic but I'm looking to get a few items for the house from Harvey Norman's over xmas, all told cost will be approx €1100. In your experience will Harvey go lower than that. Items are furniture, washing machine and microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

who_ru wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but I'm looking to get a few items for the house from Harvey Norman's over xmas, all told cost will be approx €1100. In your experience will Harvey go lower than that. Items are furniture, washing machine and microwave.

Never pay the price advertised, always haggle. Don't be shy, ask and you shall receive, don't ask and you will pay 1100.

HN staff can actually go to cost price. They are very open to haggling. Especially if you take extra warranty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3908271/Trail/searchtext>GREAT+SAVINGS+ON+SELECTED+TELEVISIONS.htm

Anyone see this cheaper elsewhere? Looking an LG and this seems good value for smart 4k. Anyone got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Techmaster wrote: »
    HN staff can actually go to cost price. They are very open to haggling. Especially if you take extra warranty etc.

Because the extended warranty is such a complete con of course they can discount the retail price of their products.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Because the extended warranty is such a complete con of course they can discount the retail price of their products.

Oh absolutely. I'd never buy it. But, even without the warranty, staff can still discount products quite a bit. Unlike Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Techmaster wrote: »
    Oh absolutely. I'd never buy it. But, even without the warranty, staff can still discount products quite a bit. Unlike Currys.

Currys are just muck if you ever need support after handing over your money. I genuinely wouldn't even buy a toaster from them even if it was half the price of anywhere else. Support is uk based and full of arrogant prats.

Harverys and powercity are decent for haggling if you are getting a couple of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Doge wrote: »
    Well the positive feedback on the Sony TVs here is certainly reassuring.

Anyone else encounter problems?

A lot of the problems in the UK come from using Youview and the digital tuner, we would only be using it with a Sky HD box and android apps so we might get away with it.

Would really aporeciate more feedback from owners as I'm in 2 minds about getting one now!
    The Apps will only work for as long as the TV is supported (a few years) then you'll be buying an external box anyway so buy TV on Spec rather than sh!t software.

Advertisement