Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Bob24 wrote: »
    Surveyor suspected a possible issue with fire safety regulations both within the apartment and in the common areas; and recommended not to go ahead without obtaining recent fire safety certificates. Certificates were requested via our solicitor but never came.

It was an apartment in Longboat Quay a few months before it was all over the media. I can't thank the surveyor enough - I suspect they will sort the situation eventually but as of today the apartments there are probably impossible to sell (solicitor said the block has been blacklisted by several mortgage providers).

Wow, talk about money well spent! That would have been a nightmare scenario. Feel bad for the owners though, Longboat Quay will always be known for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Feel bad for the owners though, Longboat Quay will always be known for this.

Yes indeed, and to be honest from what I know about it (I have been renting there for some time), the media reports about the issues seem quite overblown and a bit dramatic. But no matter what the reality is once the bad public perception is there and googling the name of the place brings up that many worrying results, it will definitely impact the selling potential and value of the properties - so yes glad we escaped the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Yeah this does matter, undisturbed asbestos won't cause a problem. The big issue is the EA not telling the following bidders, which will cost them a survey to find out.
    Boiler shed roof. Poor condition.
    Vendor is obviously chancing their arm hoping the next prospective buyer will miss it. You'd be surprised how many people skimp on the survey or don't do one at all.

I don't get upset about EA's lying because I assume it's their default position anyway. Getting upset about them or trying to play games with them is a fools errand.
    I prefer the system here in Scotland where the vendor must pay for a Home Report, which includes a survey, and give this to bidders.
    He who pays the piper calls the tune. I wouldn't trust any survey that I didn't pay for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

gaius c wrote: »
    He who pays the piper calls the tune. I wouldn't trust any survey that I didn't pay for.

It's a regulated system though, you have to get it through a chartered surveyor. I've read about some problems with the survey insofar as they sometimes don't go into enough detail, but that's a judgment call for a buyer if they suspect an issue to get a more in-depth one carried out at their own cost. You couldn't hide asbestos on this survey though.

Edit: just checked and there's actually a direct question about asbestos in the Home Report.

It's a regulated system though, you have to get it through a chartered surveyor. I've read about some problems with the survey insofar as they sometimes don't go into enough detail, but that's a judgment call for a buyer if they suspect an issue to get a more in-depth one carried out at their own cost. You couldn't hide asbestos on this survey though.

Edit: just checked and there's actually a direct question about asbestos in the Home Report.

Is there come back for the buyer if something is missed by the survey under the Scottish system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

For all those that said interest rates can't go any lower, here's the proof that yes they can go into negative figures

Shedite27 wrote: »
    For all those that said interest rates can't go any lower, here's the proof that yes they can go into negative figures

Yes, central bank rates have a tiny margin to temporarily go down (negative rates can only last for a limited period and are never significantly below 0), and infinite margin to go up.

Rates could go down a few basis points for a period, but a long term downwards trend is technically impossible. The trend can be a flat one or an increase. And while rate can remain flat or a while (which will probably be the case for a few years), it is reasonable to think it will not last forever and they will have to go up at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

We also have a regulated building system that should prevent new builds being fire hazards from the day they are built...

I'm not a very trusting soul and when it comes to Irish property/accommodation, I have found that it is the safest approach.

We also have a regulated building system that should prevent new builds being fire hazards from the day they are built...

I'm not a very trusting soul and when it comes to Irish property/accommodation, I have found that it is the safest approach.

Well during the time that the well known fire hazzards were built, we had a system of regulation that was based on self regulation.

Absolute nonsense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is there come back for the buyer if something is missed by the survey under the Scottish system?

I'm not entirely sure. I think the idea behind the Home Report is to give an overview of the condition of the property and if any potential issues are highlighted then it's up to the buyer to do their own due diligence.

Nonetheless, it would stop dodgy EAs like above claiming the previous buyer's finance fell through rather than hiding something wrong with the property.

• Advertisement

Dublin city centre has no new houses or flats for sale

"Just eight of the 56 developments have apartments for sale and, of these, only two are in the [Dublin] city council area.

All are significantly above the affordability threshold and outside the city centre. "

True, but similar to what Sarah says above, that regulation was the same as the banking regulation in the 2000s, completely laissez-faire and self governed. If I recall correctly, Longboat Quay was signed off with a note from the fire engineer that he hadn't seen the building in construction, which was completely allowable under the system in force at the time.

I did find this which seems to indicate that the Home Report looks for surface problems and a full structural survey may still be needed but at least there's a legal liability on the surveyor for something they should have spotted. http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/finding_a_place_to_live/buying_a_home/valuations_and_surveys
    It at least ensures the impartiality of the surveyor as they have a duty to all parties.

"Just eight of the 56 developments have apartments for sale and, of these, only two are in the [Dublin] city council area.

All are significantly above the affordability threshold and outside the city centre. "

This is all just really disappointing. There are half finished developments around the 3Arena for example that surely would be wroth while to finish off. Its high time developers were forced to "use it or lose it" when it comes to sitting on assets like this which are vital to the developme.nt of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

It wont be long until you cant get any apartment for under €250 all the was out to Balbriggan at this rate.

It wont be long until you cant get any apartment for under €250k all the was out to Balbriggan at this rate.

It's as bad as we all knew, but it's good to have the figures to back it up.

This is all just really disappointing. There are half finished developments around the 3Arena for example that surely would be wroth while to finish off. Its high time developers were forced to "use it or lose it" when it comes to sitting on assets like this which are vital to the developme.nt of the city

Yes - time to understand what is preventing ANY new builds from reaching the market at a price a decent number of people can afford and to address it whatever it is (tax, regulations, zoning, speculators sitting on land, I don't care ... but the solution is NOT to relax lending rules for people to start contracting unsustainable mortgages again so that we have another banking crisis and wreck the economy one more time).

When a country is not able to build homes at a price average employed people can afford without contracting unsustainable debt, something has to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Doesn't sentence 1 (no new developments of flats for sale in DCC) contradict sentence 2 (2 new developments of flat for sale in DCC)? :confused:

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Doesn't sentence 1 (no new developments of flats for sale in DCC) contradict sentence 2 (2 new developments of flat for sale in DCC)? :confused:

They're within the city council area but outside the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Yes - time to understand what is preventing ANY new builds to reach the market at a price a decent number of people can afford and to address it whatever it is (tax, regulations, zoning, speculators sitting on land, I don't care ... but the solution is NOT to relax lending rules so that people start contracting unsustainable mortgages again so that we have another banking crisis and wreck the economy one more time).

When a country is not able to produce homes at a price average employed people can afford without contracting unsustainable debt, something has to be wrong.

This is so vital and is why I'm glad the lending rules came in.
    Most people want to buy and as we know from before if they can borrow more, they will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

450 non new units >= 2 bed for sale in the postcodes 1-10 for <= 300k. What's the problem?

450 non new units >= 2 bed for sale in the postcodes 1-10 for <= 300k. What's the problem?

Different topic.
    Original article and discussion are about the lack of availability of new builds at affordable prices.

Different topic.
    Original article and discussion are about the lack of availability of new builds at affordable prices.

Agree - the real issue is lack of supply and growing demand. Without new units this is never going to get better so the article highlights a very real problem.

I doubt the city center will ever have new builds at affordable prices though.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »

True, and its not even really the prices that bother me that much, I think the Central Bank Rules seem to be stopping prices racing ahead. There needs to be more building activity going on though.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »

Yes - but what the report is saying is that the city centre has no new builds whatsoever though, regardless of the price (as mentioned by SarahMollie earlier there is definitely land available, and there have been reports confirming this recently: "More than 61 hectares of vacant or derelict land, spread over 282 sites in central Dublin, could be developed for homes or commercial buildings, according to Dublin City Council").

When they are talking about the lack affordable options they are talking about Dublin city as a whole (which I think is an issue).

Different topic.

Hardly a mutually exclusive topic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are there that many that want to live in the city centre? It's a bit of a social housing ghetto tbh.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Are there that many that want to live in the city centre? It's a bit of a social housing ghetto tbh.

Thats hardly true. Plenty of people would love to be more central, especially young people. The docklands are part of the city center in my opinion and they're the most in demand location in the country.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »

Replace social housing ghetto with centre of employment and innovation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement