Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 All - Ireland Winners predictions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clare to be the Waterford of 2016. win div 1b and the league, they will reach the munster final and lose to a strong limerick team and then lose to kilkenny in the semi final after putting up a good battle.

Kilkenny vs Limerick all ireland final with Kilkenny steam rolling yet again.

2016 will be another year of the sweeper system.

Tipp, Cork, Waterford,Dublin to have off years

final 4 this year will be Kilkenny, Limerick, Clare and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Had a flick through the 2016 Old Moore's Almanac.
    For the hurling: Galway
    Football: Mayo.

So I'll go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

mickeyk wrote: »
    would almost certainly have beaten Donegal in the final.

Hard to look past Mayo's scorching All-Ireland final form alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

dog_pig wrote: »
    Hard to look past Mayo's scorching All-Ireland final form alright.

That aside Mayo have beaten Donegal a number of times in recent years and Donegal definitely peaked in their semi that year. If they had overcome Kerry in 2014 I think they'd have gone all the way. We'll never know of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Football: Dublin to finally go back to back. If its a Kerry semi and Mayo final (both sides keen for revenge) it'll cement their position as one of the best teams ever.

Hurling: Love to come up with a reason why Kilkenny will lose but i'd be clutching at straws.

Ok. If Dublin or Wexford ambush them in a Leinster semi and they get a crappy draw in the qualifiers then maybe. But i've a better chance of picking the lotto numbers tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

blackcard wrote: »
    2016 Football Dublin
    2017 Football Dublin
    2018 Football Dublin
    2019 Football Dublin
    2020 Football Dublin
    2021 Football Dublin
    You get the message

Who was the last Dublin Manager to win back to back senior football All Ireland Titles, and don't use google.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Here's a hint. Not even King Heffo The Great was able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Football - Mayo

Hurling - who cares, its only played by shi* footballers

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Slattsy wrote: »

From what I can see the last few years, that's who are playing football too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Here's a hint. Not even King Heffo The Great was able to do it.

Last time Dublin won back to back seniors was early 1920s, so unless it is a trick question about a Dub who managed another county, I'll go with one of Paddy O'Donnell of O'Tooles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Last time Dublin won back to back seniors was early 1920s, so unless it is a trick question about a Dub who managed another county, I'll go with one of Paddy O'Donnell of O'Tooles!

Surely it was more recent than that?

PressRun wrote: »
    Surely it was more recent than that?

Afraid not. Won three in a row 1921, 1922, and 1923. No back to backs until 1976/77, and none since. Heffo was manager in 1976 and Hanahoe in 1977.

Doubt there even was a manager in 1920s tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Slattsy wrote: »
    Football - Mayo

Be careful now or that curse of 1951 will never be lifted!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Afraid not. Won three in a row 1921, 1922, and 1923. No back to backs until 1976/77, and none since. Heffo was manager in 1976 and Hanahoe in 1977.

Doubt there even was a manager in 1920s tbh!

Correct. Hard to believe. Think though Jim will change that stat this year.

Correct. Hard to believe. Think though Jim will change that stat this year.

I think he might!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Winners? Kilkenny were very average (by their own very high standards) in 2015 and they weren't at all threatened in their four games. Kind of ominous that. Hard to look past them for 2016. Only way they won't win is if they are below average (like 2013) or an exceptional opponent emerges and matches their standards. An off year probably won't happen, can anyone match them? Clare probably have the means in terms of the calibre of player at their disposal but as long as they have Davy 'everyone is out to get me' Fitz is in charge it's hard to have full confidence in them. Parallels between himself and Jose Mourinho, excellent coaches, but they are so entrenched in their backs to the wall siege mentality that over time the atmosphere they create in the camp turns toxic, and players grow tired of it. It's a shame because we should presently be in the midst of a Clare v Kilkenny rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Winners? Kilkenny were very average (by their own very high standards) in 2015 and they weren't at all threatened in their four games. Kind of ominous that. Hard to look past them for 2016. Only way they won't win is if they are below average (like 2013) or an exceptional opponent emerges and matches their standards. An off year probably won't happen, can anyone match them? Clare probably have the means in terms of the calibre of player at their disposal but as long as they have Davy 'everyone is out to get me' Fitz is in charge it's hard to have full confidence in them. Parallels between himself and Jose Mourinho, excellent coaches, but they are so entrenched in their backs to the wall siege mentality that over time the atmosphere they create in the camp turns toxic, and players grow tired of it. It's a shame because we should presently be in the midst of a Clare v Kilkenny rivalry.

Not so sure re the Clare kk rivalry I know Clare have top class players and maybe as many as kk but their lets say normal players are below kk if you know what I mean.for me they need a better goalie at least one in the full back line one in half back line and prob half forward too.can Clare win the all irl this yr?yes but for me if you are to look past kk this yr it has to be Galway or tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

Football:
    Same olds int he quarters, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal.
    Dublin firm favs, the Kerry, then Mayo.

Hurling:
    In Munster, Tipp best setup and with 5 of the last 8 champs they should win, but an ambush is definitely on the cards for them having to face Cork and then Limerick.
    Clare in Munster are terrible. Clare the last 2 years are terrible. Waterford progressed but still not at the top level. Basically Tipps to lose.
    Leinster, Kilkenny all the way, only Galway to stop them in the final but what Galway? beaten easily by KK twice last year. Scraped past an under performing Tipp bar Callinan who was worth 3 players that day. Still they only scraped past them.
    Kilkenny v Tipp final bar a shock, cant pick a winner until you see what their up to this year.
    Heart will still always say Limerick for Munster and making the final!

Football:
    Same olds int he quarters, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal.
    Dublin firm favs, the Kerry, then Mayo.

Hurling:
    In Munster, Tipp best setup and with 5 of the last 8 champs they should win, but an ambush is definitely on the cards for them having to face Cork and then Limerick.
    Clare in Munster are terrible. Clare the last 2 years are terrible. Waterford progressed but still not at the top level. Basically Tipps to lose.
    Leinster, Kilkenny all the way, only Galway to stop them in the final but what Galway? beaten easily by KK twice last year. Scraped past an under performing Tipp bar Callinan who was worth 3 players that day. Still they only scraped past them.
    Kilkenny v Tipp final bar a shock, cant pick a winner until you see what their up to this year.
    Heart will still always say Limerick for Munster and making the final!

Nobody mentioning Dublin in relation to the hurling. Not surprising given the recent retirements, defections and droppings. And more to come if the rumours are accurate.

Having said that, they have been good and scoring well in Walsh Cup games and some of peripheral players are using the opportunity well. I expect to see Eamonn Dillon as starter rather than impact sub this year.

However, reality bite was that Danny Suthcliffe who has left the panel was one of key players in DCU almost turning over Galway last Sunday.

Sad to say but key game in Summer could be against Wexford rather than any ambitions of taking on the bigger guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

Nobody mentioning Dublin in relation to the hurling. Not surprising given the recent retirements, defections and droppings. And more to come if the rumours are accurate.

Having said that, they have been good and scoring well in Walsh Cup games and some of peripheral players are using the opportunity well. I expect to see Eamonn Dillon as starter rather than impact sub this year.

However, reality bite was that Danny Suthcliffe who has left the panel was one of key players in DCU almost turning over Galway last Sunday.

Sad to say but key game in Summer could be against Wexford rather than any ambitions of taking on the bigger guns.

Dublin seem to have lost a few key players. 2013 was their big chance imo. They may still be a cut above Wexford but beat them and they face Kilkenny in the semi final. They were easily taken care of by Galway last year and by Waterford I think, after beating Limerick in a game Limerick should not have lost. It would be amazing to see them knock Kilkenny out in the Leinster semi final but then face Galway followed by probably a tough Munster team that has made its way through the qualifiers. I just cant see Dublin winning Leinster or making the AI semis tbh.
    You never know, they took care of Wexford the year of their so called "revival" quite easily in Wexford Park.

Still for me in the Hurling Kilkenny and Tipp the two forerunners with Galway in third due to their inconsistency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement