Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 All - Ireland Winners predictions?

Options
  • 24-12-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Firstly Happy Christmas to all fellow GAA heads,all the best for 2016.

Here's my 2016 predictions ~

Football Winners ~Dublin
    Losing finalists~ Tyrone.

Hurling 2016~
    Winners~Kilkenny
    Runners- Up~ Tipperary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Football Winners ~Dublin

Hurling 2016~
    Winners~Kilkenny
    Runners- Up~ Tipperary.
    2016 Football Dublin
    2017 Football Dublin
    2018 Football Dublin
    2019 Football Dublin
    2020 Football Dublin
    2021 Football Dublin
    You get the message

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Football Winners ~Dublin

Hurling 2016~
    Winners~Kilkenny
    Runners- Up~ Tipperary.

Not sure about the runners-up that you have but the winners sound about right, bookies would agree with you.

Hard to see Kilkenny beaten next year, they walked it this year and all other counties are having troubles of sorts (management, key retirements). If Richie Hogan or TJ Reid were to get injured for the year I might reconsider but I think the 13/8 on offer for Kilkenny is attractive.

They have Dublin at 11/8 in the football, I'd actually have it the other way around Kilkenny (11/8) in the hurling and Dublin (13/8) in the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭big_drive

Hurling- Kilkenny

Football- Dublin

I find it hard to look past the obvious two

Impossible to call the runners up as that depends on the way the draw works out. The 2nd best team in the c'ship could be gone in the quarters if they draw the eventual champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Football kildare

Hurling galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

The two big famines to end in 2016

Hurling - Limerick
    Football - Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Football Kilkenny

hurling Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hurling- kilkenny
    Football- Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

slegs wrote: »
    The two big famines to end in 2016

Hurling - Limerick
    Football - Mayo

Even as a Kilkenny fan I'd have to be a little happy if that panned out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Football - Monaghan
    Hurling - Waterford
    May as well go for 2 outsiders rather than everyone else's favourites. I don't reckon Dublin will retain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Football - Galway
    R up - Mayo

Hurling - Galway
    R up - Tipp

If carlsberg........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Hurling... Galway
    Football....Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Now that they've bravely toppled the evil management regimes that's been holding them back.....

Football: Mayo
    Hurling: Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Football.

Winner: Tyrone
    Runner up: Kerry

Hurling.

Winner: Kilkenny
    Runner Up: Like it matters? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The finals are 8-9 months away and each season takes on its own shape but at this stage it's hard to make an argument for anyone bar the obvious two. Kilkenny and Dublin.

In the hurling, the big question is who is equipped to beat Kilkenny in a knockout match and it's hard to make a strong case for any team.

Waterford took big steps forward last year and looked genuine contenders in May and June but on the bigger days their game plan was a bit limited to be anything more than competitive. Can they evolve this year and give themselves the platform to put a winning score on the board in big games. 14-17 points may win 1 in 10 big games but usually isn't near enough even in a defensive battle. More importantly can they generate the belief within their squad that they are good enough. Their game against Clare is huge for both sides season. Don't see either making a significant impact if they lose that.

Clare have strengthened their backroom team and to me they are the one team who if they get themselves right may make a big impact on the championship. They do start in division 1b though and you'd question after 4 years of Davy if the mood is right in the camp. Clare limped out badly in 2014 which was forgivable but last year never even raised a gallop.

Hard to know where Tipperary are at. Plenty of underage promise but with the clearout of older players we'll have to see how the squad and new management blend. Would expect to see them in the Munster final at least.

Limerick had a good u21 team this year but were a huge let down last year. I think the spine of the older lads took them as far as they could. They'll take a year or two to rebuild imo.

Cork are Cork and will probably come up with a big result at some stage. Its easy forget they were seconds away from winning an All-Ireland in 2013 with a mediocre side so they can never be completely ruled out but they are going to take time to re-emerge as All-Ireland contenders imo.

I'd love for Galway to do it but we usually follow up a season of promise with a bad year. The change in management situation leaves big questions and places huge pressure on the players. The capitulation when Kilkenny upped the tempo on both big days last year and in 2014 (as well as against Tipp in 2014) leaves even bigger questions over the mentality of the team. The performances against Cork and in particular Tipperary show the capability of this team. Galway did make progress last year but for me we need to find replacements for the likes of Tannian, Smith, Collins even Donnellan. Full back was kind of a make do job last year too. Potential is there but a whole host of question marks as always with Galway.

Wexford are slowly improving but the u21 collapse following on from the hiding against Kilkenny and being blown away in the first half against Cork stalled any momentum they got from 2013. They may take Dublin in the quarter final but that would mean having to face Kilkenny. Dublin look in disarray and will have a short season imo.

The only real thing I can see stopping Kilkenny is a bad run of injuries as undoubtedly 16-30 isn't anywhere near as strong as a few years back. Kilkenny and Cody never seem to run out of motivation. They were very stale in 2013 following on from an extended 2012. Hard to see them making the same mistake again.

In football the contenders are limited. Dublin never pushed on the following year after their previous AI victories in 2011 and 2013. 2012 they were never at the right level. 2014 they were hyped up too much and were deservedly blitzed by Donegal. They picked it up just when they needed to last year. They were poor against Westmeath and Fermanagh and the first day against Mayo were there for the taking. 2nd day against Mayo they were vulnerable after Mayo's goal but stepped it up at the right time and had the bench to kill the game off. They deservedly beat Kerry in the final. They have the best panel in the country but again have the challenge of peaking at the right time after demolishing everyone in Leinster.

Eamonn Fitzmaurice has done superbly with Kerry imo but last year's final was a big let down. Like Kilkenny they deal with retirements and lads getting old and still stay strong. They are setup for an earlier meeting with Dublin this year. I have a feeling Cork may be due to take them at home in Munster.

Mayo have a new management team but its the guts of the same panel who have come up short over the last 5 years. Mayo have played some great stuff and have played a huge part in saving the championship from being a complete washout over the last couple of years. This year they are on Ulster's side of the draw so are mapping a course to the final but they may hit a roadblock before then. It'll be interesting to see if they run in to Roscommon how they fare even if it is in Castlebar.

Tyrone, Donegal and Cork may take a provincial crown and/or a scalp like Kerry or Mayo but aren't All-Ireland contenders imo. I'd hope to see further evidence of progress from Tyrone this year.

Being honest, the only excitement in the championship up to the latter stages will likely be seeing how the likes of Kildare, Roscommon and Tipperary progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Hurling: Galway beat Tipp
    Football: Kerry beat Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

A nice easy job to round off the year!! I would agree with a lot of what has been posted do far. I think 2015 was the time to take Kilkenny but I think teams just didn't believe that they could actually beat them. If Waterford alter their game plan slightly and really let the types of de burca off the leash then they should build on last season and make a serious challenge. Likewise I think the Clare challenge will have been boosted by the additions to the playing and management rosters. That will be an excellent game when they meet in June. My own county(Limerick) are in a state of flux and will not be helped by Na piarsaighs excellent form. The league will be crucial and with so many involved with the club finding a settled 15 will be difficult. Will be tough to beat either Tipp or Cork but would prefer cork only for home advantage.
    For the football it's hard to look past the dubs again but I have a fancy for Tyrone. The under 21s are ready to slot into the senior set up, especially physically, so I can see them having a good year. Donegal will have a point to prove but I can't see where the game changer is going to come from (in terms of new blood into the panel). Cork are in transition as are Mayo but the latter are probably a little more equipped to travel a little further along the championship route.
    TLDR version: Kilkenny(pushed closely by Waterford) Dublin (edging out Tyrone)
    Here's to a great championship 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Football Dublin
    Hurling Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

H. Galway beat Kilkenny
    F. Kerry beat Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thewildcat

hurling Kilkenny

football the Dubs same as 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Football will be between Dublin, Mayo and Kerry and any of them could win it on the day.

Hurling will be Kilkenny unless Galway learn how not to bottle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Football will be between Dublin, Mayo and Kerry and any of them could win it on the day.

Hurling will be Kilkenny unless Galway learn how not to bottle it.

Come on. Gerrof that fence. Every else has.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Heart says
    Football: Mayo to beat Dublin
    Hurling: Clare to beat Kilkenny

Head says
    Football: Dublin to beat Kerry
    Hurling: Kilkenny to beat Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Dublin to win football. Ulster team (probably Tyrone) to beat Mayo at some stage.

Kilkenny to win hurling but Clare to have a much improved year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Come on. Gerrof that fence. Every else has.

Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd really like to see Clare rediscover their best in the hurling. Thought they were quite exciting to watch last time they won. It might shake things up a bit if they can get back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hard to see past Kilkenny in the hurling, I didn't fancy them at all in 2015 but they have shown remarkable ability to deal with retirements and the loss of key players. Would love to see Galway Tipp or Limerick break their dominance but my vote goes to Kilkenny at the minute.

The football is more open IMO. Dublin have the best panel but will feel the loss of O'Carroll and retaining Sam is very difficult, no team has done it in almost a decade. It looks set up for a Kerry v Dublin semi and the winner will take Sam I think. Kerry's season will depend on whether Tommy Walsh and Colm cooper can rediscover some of their old form after devastating injuries and they need to find at least one new depenable defender. They have had good success at underage level in recent years so new talent emerging wouldn't be a surprise.

The winners meet Mayo or Tyrone in the final and neither have what it takes to beat either of the above, certainly not Tyrone anyway. Mayo could come good under new management but I think 2014 was their year when they definitely should have beaten Kerry and would almost certainly have beaten Donegal in the final.

Prediction overall: Kerry (massively biased)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Hurling : Kilkenny. Probably Tipp as runners-up, but Limerick could be the surprise team this year.

Football : Kerry. Dublin runners-up. Cork could prove to be best of the rest, but nowhere near top 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Galway will beat Kilkenny this year, Kerry will peak in August and defeat Dublin and avenge 2015 only for Mayo to wait in the long grass and defeat an exhausted Kerry team who will have given it everything against Dublin. Even though I'm from Kerry I'd just as happily see Mayo win, once the Dubs Double is stopped I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I've a sinking feeling that Kerry will take the football. The football back to back is so difficult that Dublin will be beaten. Even typing it is killing me:D Hopefully I'm wrong.

Kilkenny for the hurling. Back to backs don't worry them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Football 2016~
    Football Winners ~Dublin
    Losing finalists~ Mayo

Hurling 2016~
    Winners~Kilkenny
    Runners- Up~ Galway

Advertisement