Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurer asking for NCT and TAX for renewal?

Options
  • 23-12-2015 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone experience this?
    Insurance policy is due for renewal mid January.
    They wrote a letter, that they need a copy of current NCT and current tax disc by post before 1st January, in order to be able to send renewal terms.
    If I fail to send them above documents in time, they won't renew the policy.

Insurer is Aviva.

I find it quite bizzare, why do they want car to be NCTed and Taxed in order to be insured.
    Car is currently not NCTed and declared off the road.

Does that mean, that we won't be able to insure a vehicle anymore without valid NCT or tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since a car technically shouldn't be on the road without a valid tax or NCT, with very limited exemptions for NCT, not insuring them makes sense. It can't be legally on the road so why should they cover it for road use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    Since a car technically shouldn't be on the road without a valid tax or NCT, with very limited exemptions for NCT, not insuring them makes sense. It can't be legally on the road so why should they cover it for road use.

Few scenarios.

1. Car is off the road, parked on private property, so no need for tax or NCT, but owner wants insurance policy in case of fire or theft.

2. Car is taxed, but not NCTed. It's parked on public road, but not driven. Legally it needs to have insurance - but looks like they won't provide it due to lack of NCT. On the other hand, NCT is not required for parked vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

But really..
    That is utter nonsense what there asking!!!!!!!!!
    Jesus,
    When you 'tax' a car you need 'insurance'
    So now....
    When you 'insure' a car you need
    'Tax'
    What a crazy world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm genuinely curious to know what concern or business it is of an insurance company whether a car is taxed or not. NCT I can understand as it's a certificate of road worthiness which can have a bearing on the cause of an accident resulting in a claim.

Needing your car to be taxed in order to get car insurance surely imo is a bit like needing your property tax paid in order to get home insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

How old is this car?

• Advertisement

Wheelnut wrote: »
    How old is this car?

It's 2006 so will be 10 years old in April 2016.
    At the time of renewal, it's still 9 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

CiniO wrote: »
    Few scenarios.

1. Car is off the road, parked on private property, so no need for tax or NCT, but owner wants insurance policy in case of fire or theft.

2. Car is taxed, but not NCTed. It's parked on public road, but not driven. Legally it needs to have insurance - but looks like they won't provide it due to lack of NCT. On the other hand, NCT is not required for parked vehicle.

If the car is declared off the road, no insurer will insure it for being so. If the owner is worried about it being stolen or burnt, then they should include it in their property insurance. That way it would be treated the same as the family tv, if it were stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I would speculate that someone who keeps their tax and NCT in date is considered to have a more rule compliant attitude towards driving, and perhaps statistically found to be less of a risk to the insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Can you still do the off the road thing ? ....

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

Some companies will put a higher loading on a car with no valid NCT, asking you to produce NCT and tax in paper is silly and unnecessary as these can be got off their data base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭curiosity

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I would speculate that someone who keeps their tax and NCT in date is considered to have a more rule compliant attitude towards driving, and perhaps statistically found to be less of a risk to the insurer

Quite possible, they've got plenty of data to back things up!

Some companies will put a higher loading on a car with no valid NCT, asking you to produce NCT and tax in paper is silly and unnecessary as these can be got off their data base.

I'd think that they can see that Cinio doesn't have the car taxed & NCT'd, and the letter is just in case he does have it taxed/tested, but there's a database error. Otherwise lots more Aviva customers would be on here, posting about it.
    Car is currently not NCTed and declared off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why don't they just update their terms and conditions to say car must be taxed and NCT'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

In a lot of policy s that are taken online, it is done automatically with very little human intervention. The theory is when they have to intervene and start checking stuff the price/premium starts going up. An example is administration fees for replacing a lost disc/cert, swapping insurance to another car etc
    That said its odd they are looking for proof of tax and nct

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd politely request my cert of no claims if not already received and go else where. Alternatively, you could explain the situation. Your case is 100 percent legit. Car declared off the road. Is there now a requirement that an insured car must be used in a public place?
    When you need insurance to get tax, how can it be possible that you need tax to get insurance?

mickdw wrote: »
    I'd politely request my cert of no claims if not already received and go else where. Alternatively, you could explain the situation. Your case is 100 percent legit. Car declared off the road. Is there now a requirement that an insured car must be used in a public place?
    When you need insurance to get tax, how can it be possible that you need tax to get insurance?

Well, I've actually never said my case was 100% legit - but it well could be and that was the point of this thread. I can't see a reason to request tax for policy renewal, as having tax is not even mentioned as requirement in the policy. And I've never seen any policy issued in Ireland, which would stipulate tax as requirement.
    NCT is different now - most insurers require it within a policy, so possibly not having it could have some implications in case of a claim. Aviva actually doesn't have anything about NCT in their policy, but as we can see they won't let me renew without it, so they took care of that. Silly way though as someone might genuinely not use the car and not need NCT in that case.

In my case, car is abroad, and has been there for a good while. NCT is expired and it's impossible to obtain new one until car is back in Ireland.
    It's declared off the road in Ireland, as it's not being used on Irish public roads, and there is no need for Irish motortax on vehicle used abroad.

I was planning to drive it back to Ireland later in January, and do NCT straight away upon arriving, but it would be risky in the first place, and now if they won't renew policy it looks like will be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They want to check where you live and that there are no shenanigans. :)

Victor wrote: »
    They want to check where you live and that there are no shenanigans. :)

By asking me for NCT and tax, they want to check where I live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

There's never an issue getting insurance when buying a car, second hand or brand new because the car's not taxed yet. It's normal for the car to be untaxed at that stage. So I don't think lack of tax is an issue.

The problem must be the lack of tax in conjunction with the lack of NCT. If a car doesn't have NCT, then why? Is it because the car is unroadworthy and has become a bit of a banger? With car being untaxed and declared off the road then it only increases the likelyhood of this in the eyes of the insurer.

I'd say they're categorising the car in with the over 15 yo cars where they think there's a higher chance of the car being used in insurance frauds.

Are you looking for TP or comprehensive insurance? Do they know that the car is abroad? - Not that that should be an issue as they insurance UK imports all the time before entry. And not that it's any comfort to you, maybe they just want to apply a loading on the premium rather than not insure you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tax one is a bit odd but I can understand the logic behind the nct request. The car will be ten years old in 2006 ie when the insurance is due, doesn't matter when the renewal notice goes out as they are future dated. Its common practice particularly with commercial vehicles ie insurers will request a copy of the VLC before renewal will be issued for vehicles over a certain age.

Insurers are becoming more and plugged into national databases wrt the NCT and some of them won't quote a car without a valid NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just saw the part about it being abroad.

I presume when you say abroad you mean outside of Ireland / UK ie the standard policy territorial limits.

If you havnt advised your insurer of the fact its not kept in Ireland then you are in breach of the policy conditions I would think and the policy is invalid in the event of a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In my case, car is abroad, and has been there for a good while. NCT is expired and it's impossible to obtain new one until car is back in Ireland.
    It's declared off the road in Ireland, as it's not being used on Irish public roads, and there is no need for Irish motortax on vehicle used abroad.

I was planning to drive it back to Ireland later in January, and do NCT straight away upon arriving, but it would be risky in the first place, and now if they won't renew policy it looks like will be impossible.

The cover abroad is for 31 days, they would look for proof of this in the event of a claim so your policy will be already invalid if you can't proove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

moral hazard

A term used to describe a subjective hazard that tends to increase the probable frequency or severity of loss due to an insured peril. Moral hazard is measured by the character of the insured and the circumstances surrounding the subject of the insurance, especially the extent of potential loss or gain to the insured in case of loss. For example, insurance on a thriving business is not subject to a moral hazard to as great an extent as insurance on an unprofitable business. On the other hand, an insured with high moral standards may pose less of a moral hazard even with an unprofitable business than an insured with low moral standards. Moral hazards are considered when underwriting insurance, particularly fire insurance, and are addressed by certain policy exclusions. For example, underwriters are hesitant to insure vacant and unoccupied buildings because of the possibility that an insured will be tempted to intentionally start a fire to obtain an insurance recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

2020 Insurance Declaration:
    You are only covered if
    you drive a Yaris, less than 3 days old
    on Tuesdays
    when the (very slight) wind is from the northwest.
    driving conditions must be absolutely perfect and you may only drive in daylight, whne the sun is high in the sky.
    All your tax affairs are 100% in order, you are not in negative equity, you are not in overdraft.
    You have been to confession in the last month (SERIOUS moral hazard potential if not). No impure thoughts.

Possible modifications which may void your cover
    - magic tree air fresheners
    - changing ANY radio settings from their default
    - not having a padre pio sticker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

2020 Insurance Declaration:
    You are only covered if
    you drive a Yaris, less than 3 days old
    on Tuesdays
    when the (very slight) wind is from the northwest.
    driving conditions must be absolutely perfect and you may only drive in daylight, whne the sun is high in the sky.
    All your tax affairs are 100% in order, you are not in negative equity, you are not in overdraft.
    You have been to confession in the last month (SERIOUS moral hazard potential if not). No impure thoughts.

Possible modifications which may void your cover
    - magic tree air fresheners
    - changing ANY radio settings from their default
    - not having a padre pio sticker.

So, you've been given 4 whole years to prepare. On your head be it if you are not compliant. Sometimes I think Insurers are too soft

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

There's something strange here: The car is abroad but not taxed in Ireland. It has to be taxed somewhere if it's on a (foreign) public road but you could only tax it in another country if you register it in that country. It is declared to be off the road but it is being used in another country. I don't think that "off the road" means only in one country, otherwise why not declare it off the road in Cambodia, Peru, Tasmania and every other country that you never go to? Maybe there are legitimate answers but I'm not surprised the insurance company are having a hard look at this one.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    There's something strange here: The car is abroad but not taxed in Ireland. It has to be taxed somewhere if it's on a (foreign) public road
    It has to be registered in home country (in Ireland) and that is all good.
    Car had VRT paid in Ireland during first registration, and holds a valid registration number and registration cert. That's required to drive it abroad.
    Irish motortax is a domestic thing, and is not needed when driving abroad.
    but you could only tax it in another country if you register it in that country. It is declared to be off the road but it is being used in another country. I don't think that "off the road" means only in one country, otherwise why not declare it off the road in Cambodia, Peru, Tasmania and every other country that you never go to? Maybe there are legitimate answers but I'm not surprised the insurance company are having a hard look at this one.

Insurance company don't know that car is abroad, and that's actually quite irrelevant to subject of this thread.
    The point was that car has no NCT and is declared off the road, and because of that insurer asked me to present tax and NCT before they will offer me a renewal, which I find very strange.

Just saw the part about it being abroad.

I presume when you say abroad you mean outside of Ireland / UK ie the standard policy territorial limits.
    It is indeed outside Irl/UK but within EU.
    Standard policy territorial limits cover all EU for purpose of third party cover, so no problems here.
    If you havnt advised your insurer of the fact its not kept in Ireland then you are in breach of the policy conditions I would think and the policy is invalid in the event of a claim.

It can not be invalid.
    Policy issue in the EU, must cover all the EU. They can not get away with limiting that. (relates to third party cover).

The cover abroad is for 31 days, they would look for proof of this in the event of a claim so your policy will be already invalid if you can't proove this.

It wouldn't.
    As above - insurer by issuing a policy in the EU providing third party cover on a vehicle, must cover all the EU. That's the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

How are you expected to bring your car for the NCT without insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I was asked for both proof of NCT and tax when renewing my insurance last February. I was waiting for my NCT test at the time so a copy of the appointment letter was sufficient. That was for Zurich, through Campion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

ComfortKid wrote: »
    How are you expected to bring your car for the NCT without insurance

A friend of mine trying to get insurance this week was asked for a valid nct in order to go ahead with the insurance, so I had the same question as you!

Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

You need insurance to tax the car and then you can get the nct... But if you can't get insurance without the nct, what the hell do you do!?

Advertisement