Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Ulster sportsground 18:00 TG4/BBCNI

Options
  • 22-12-2015 1:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The kick off to the interpros starts in Galway
    Ulster on the up
    Connacht asking fans to bring the boots just in case

Who will be victorious 38 votes

Connacht
    0% 0 votes
    Ulster
    63% 24 votes
    The game of rugby
    36% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

The kick off to the interpros starts in Galway
    Ulster on the up
    Connacht asking fans to bring the boots just in case

Some players likely to come-back for Connacht, some rested for Ulster. Just saying to minor your pessimism :D Connacht team should be smth like : 1) Loughney 2) Delahunt 3) White 4) Dillane 5) Muldowney 6) Muldoon 7) Connolly 8 ) Mastertson 9 ) Marmion 10) Carty 12) Ronaldson 13) Aki 11) one of Niyi/Parata 14) one of Healy/Poolman (depends on fitness) 15) TOH 16) Heffernan/JHW 17) Bealham 18) Ahyou 19) Browne 20) Heenan/McKeon (Naoupu if both not ready yet) 21) Porter 22) ? (McGinty not far from return in theory) 23) ? (depends on the other backs)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

No idea what team Ulster will have out but there will likely be changes. I'd expect Marshall and Humphreys at half back for a start.

bilston wrote: »
    No idea what team Ulster will have out but there will likely be changes. I'd expect Marshall and Humphreys at half back for a start.

yes pleeeeaase :D and rest McCloskey, Diack, and McCall too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Regardless of teams, lets hope it dry and not blowing a gale.....really looking forward to this one!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

connachta wrote: »
    yes pleeeeaase :D and rest McCloskey, Diack, and McCall too!

I'd say McCloskey being rested is likely. But we have other options in the centre. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

awec wrote: »
    I'd say McCloskey being rested is likely. But we have other options in the centre. ;)

I think you meant too many

I admit it easily, but McCloskey is a particular terror. And don't forget we have Aki ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

What is the update on Cave? He took a bang to the shoulder against Edinburgh on Dec 4th wasn't it? As many quality centres as ye have, with Olding, Payne and Bowe all out yer down to the bare bones. If Cave isn't fit am I right in saying ye only have McCloskey and Marshall so they would have to play?? Is the young guy Sam Arnold fit at the moment?

What's the story with Chris Henry? Rested last week or injured?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a sense of the team that will be coming down! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

Looking forward to this game a lot more than the cripple fight that will be Munster v Leinster, think Ulster will just about sneak it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Think Ulster will win it, knocking Connacht's confidence ahead of their trip East. Please?

• Advertisement

S12b wrote: »
    What is the update on Cave? He took a bang to the shoulder against Edinburgh on Dec 4th wasn't it? As many quality centres as ye have, with Olding, Payne and Bowe all out yer down to the bare bones. If Cave isn't fit am I right in saying ye only have McCloskey and Marshall so they would have to play?? Is the young guy Sam Arnold fit at the moment?

What's the story with Chris Henry? Rested last week or injured?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a sense of the team that will be coming down! ;)

I think Cave was only definitely rules out of the Toulouse games so he might be back for Connacht. I think Arnold is injured as well. We could move Ludik to 13, after that we're probably looking at Callum Patterson from the As!

Craig Gilroy to miss Ulster's trip to Galway to face Connacht with an eye socket injury

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Craig Gilroy to miss Ulster's trip to Galway to face Connacht with an eye socket injury

The guy who punched him should have been cited

I suppose we could be looking at an Ulster team like this

15 Ludik
    14 Trimble (if only to ensure he wins his 200th cap at Ravenhill)
    13 Cave (hopefully fit?)
    12 Marshall (hardly played, doesn't need a rest
    11 Scholes
    10 Humphreys
    9 Marshall
    1 Warwick
    2 Herring
    3 Lutton
    4 Stevenson
    5 Browne
    6 Ross
    7 Reidy
    8 Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

15 Ludik
    13 Cave (hopefully fit?)
    11 Scholes
    10 Humphreys
    9 Marshall
    1 Warwick
    2 Herring
    3 Lutton
    4 Stevenson
    5 Browne
    6 Ross
    7 Reidy
    8 Wilson

Ulster would be the province that I'd be least familiar with this season, but would I be right in saying that's a nice back line, average half back pairing and average pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Pienaar missing would be a loss to any side but Paul Marshall has played a big role in directing operations for Ulster on trips to Galway in the past. He's a player who can increase the pace of the game and worries me at 9. On the flip side to that Ulster aren't as likely to be dominant up front so he mightn't have as easy a ride as in the past. You'd have to think Trimble will be left out for this one. Surely he has to be in the training camp as one of our first choice wingers for the 6 nations. No point having the training camp if starters aren't brought along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

over on the official ulster rugby forum they are expecting a lot of their top players to be rested, i know we're struggling with injuries but i'm quietly confident of a win for connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

15 Ludik
    13 Cave (hopefully fit?)
    11 Scholes
    10 Humphreys
    9 Marshall
    1 Warwick
    2 Herring
    3 Lutton
    4 Stevenson
    5 Browne
    6 Ross
    7 Reidy
    8 Wilson

Feck. That's a terrible team. The Eagles would blow that lot away never mind Connacht's firsts. 4 Stevenson, 5 Browne', 6 Ross,7 Reidy and 8 Wilson are terrifyingly awful.

4,5 and 6 have less rugby talent that a stale loaf. Reidy is a bit 'meh' and Wilson - once good - is totally ready for the glue factory.

15 Ludik
    13 Cave (hopefully fit?) If not then Marshall
    12 Marshall (hardly played, doesn't need a rest / McCloskey.
    11 Scholes
    10 Humphreys...ffs
    9 Marshall...Pienaar has played very little rugby this season.
    1 Warwick...No reason why not but why rest McCall>? He's only played 3 games. Black is also fit.
    2 Herring...getting as good as Best in the near future. One of our best ever discoveries.
    3 Lutton
    4 Stevenson...No talent other than pushing in the scrum and giving penalties away at the ruck and line out. O'Connor for me. Only played a few games
    5 Browne...Merde...I'd rather have Diack than him
    6 Ross.....showed some flashes of ability but has been pretty crappy mostly. I'd rather have Wilson here if Diack isn't available.
    7 Reidy.....Henry ...is he definitely out?
    8 Wilson...has little or no go forward left in him. He still goes through the motions but it's usually backwards these days. Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

typhoony wrote: »
    over on the official ulster rugby forum they are expecting a lot of their top players to be rested, i know we're struggling with injuries but i'm quietly confident of a win for connacht

There is no official Ulster Rugby Forum...sadly.

LostArt wrote: »
    Looking forward to this game a lot more than the cripple fight that will be Munster v Leinster

Actually a moment of history. 1st time ever that a Connacht-Ulster is at least as attractive as Munster-Leinster :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

The bookmakers currently have Connacht at 3-4 pt favourites.
    It will be interesting to see how team selections effect the prices.

The bookmakers currently have Connacht at 3-4 pt favourites.
    It will be interesting to see how team selections effect the prices.

I think the team strengths are fairly predictable. Ulster will rest some 1st team players, not all, it doesn't really matter if it's 6 or 7, and who they are. Same for the 6-7 returning Connacht players. That's why the bookies have already estimated Ulster within the scope of +3 to +8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good few of them were out on the beer in the Quays last night!

Some difference between attitudes in the GAA (fwiw I'm all for the players leading normal lives)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

cson wrote: »
    Good few of them were out on the beer in the Quays last night!

Some difference between attitudes in the GAA (fwiw I'm all for the players leading normal lives)

I very much doubt if any if the 25 players who will be togged out on Saturday were on the beer last night. Check it out when squad is named!:confused:

Wow I felt Ulster was tricking us with "rotations rumours"

Connacht v ULSTER (1-8 ): A Warwick, R Herring (c), W Herbst, A O'Connor, F van der Merwe, R Diack, S Reidy, N Williams
    Connacht v ULSTER (15-9): L Ludik, A Trimble, L Marshall, S McCloskey, R Scholes, P Jackson, R Pienaar
    Connacht v ULSTER (subs, 16-23): J Andrew, C Black, R Lutton, S Mulholland, R Wilson, P Marshall, I Humphreys, S Arnold

Only "good point" is Henry left at home
    Will be tough guys...
    Front up rise up!

CONNACHT v Ulster (15-9): T O'Halloran, N Adeolokun, B Aki, C Ronaldson, M Healy, J Carty, K Marmion
    CONNACHT v Ulster (1-8 ): F Bealham, D Heffernan, N White, U Dillane, A Muldowney, J Muldoon (c), J Connolly, E Masterson
    CONNACHT v Ulster (subs, 16-23): S Delahunt, R Loughney, R Ah You, A Browne, S O'Brien, I Porter, AJ MacGinty, R Parata

Best pack we could have expected! Will be a pure cracker!!!!!

I guess we'll be rotating against Munster then

I guess we'll be rotating against Munster then

Such a mistake ;)

Such a mistake ;)

It's a fair indication of how much Connacht have improved that we are sending our full team to Galway and presumably playing the second choice players against Munster.

• Advertisement

It's a fair indication of how much Connacht have improved that we are sending our full team to Galway and presumably playing the second choice players against Munster.

Indeed, but honnestly Connacht lineup (except Henshaw, Buckley and McCartney) is close to our best one too. It is really tight on the paper

Advertisement