Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Sport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Here it is at 0:35 in all it's naked glory. You can even pick out the camerman who took the photo. The one on the most extreme left.

League Cup Final March 26th 1983. Liverpool 2-1 Man Utd. No question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Elise Christie claimed 500m silver at the World Short Track Speed Skating Championships in Montreal on Saturday.

_73609410_elisechristie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

pendleton-cheltenham2-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Former Olympic cyclist Victoria Pendleton just finished 5th in a top race at Cheltenham in only her 3rd race on a proper racetrack (I think). Some performance considering the nerves required!

victoria-pendleton-arrives-the-racecourse-ahead-of-competing-in-the-picture-id516313066

When VP first turned up for training at Birmingham velodrome, with timdel and glitter, evertine was WTFIT ???? and began to take notice when the races started.

Looks like histiory repearing itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

OB-ED562_bmw12_H_20090729110753.jpg

Australian Grand Prix 2002

I was 10 at the time and was so psyched up at the beginning of the new season, having really got into F1 the year before. Was in awe how crazy that accident was. Was just looking at Wiki to check a couple of things, where the author described it as 'Ralf's Flying Circus' :D

For whatever reason really, the younger Schumacher didn't brake on time and ploughed into the back of Barrichello and just took off. Mayhem sues and the rest of the field get caught up in it and drop like flies throughout the race. From the 22 starters, only 6 are classified. Victory for Schumacher senior who had a record season of bagging the Driver's Championship after the 11th race in France.

This race also started a great.. affection of mine for the Minardi team with Mark Webbers' 5th place. The rest is history for him. I even later on joined the official Minardi fan club. :D Pluckiest underdogs ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Reminds me of the crash in the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix - had to look up the year, but remember the crash. Torrential rain caused a 13-car pile-up on the first lap. The race was re-started with spare cars where necessary - though 4 drivers couldn't take their places for reasons of no car or injury. 3 went out on the first lap of the restart. Wurz and Herbert went out on the first lap twice.

1280x720-z5Y.jpg

The video is here -

Watch out for a wheel-less McLaren being spun around by its own front tyre, one of the Jordans parking to one side and somehow avoiding all the debris, and someone - possibly Pedro Diniz - coming out of the haze late on to plough into all the cars just when it looked like the chaos had stopped (0:55). I think it's one of the biggest crashes ever in F1.

Damon Hill earned Jordan their first ever race win in the re-start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Speaking of Weber I always thought his Le Mans crash was spectacular and damn scary.

CLK_GTR_LEMANS_small.jpg

Of course motorsports darkest day and why Mercedes left motorsport was in Le Mans 1955.

Pierre Levegh's 300 SLR somersualted off the track after hitting back of Lance Macklin's Austin-Healey who had moved across suddenly due to Mike Hawthowrn's Jag entering the pits.

Levegh's car disintegrated throwing bodywork and engine into the crowd killing 82 spectators and injuring over 100.

The rescue workers didn't know how to handle magnesium fires and poured water on it, only making it worse.

An emergency Mercedes board meeting decided to pull out of race and 8 hours after accident Mercedes pulled the cars of Juan Manuel Fangio/Stirling Moss and Karl Kling/André Simon even though they were leading.

Jaguar refused to pull out and Mike Hawthorn won.

Mercedes won the last two remaining sportscar races months later and then pulled out of racing.

Fangio was never to race at Le Mans again.

The death tol led to bans on motorsports in France, Spain, Switzerland, Germany until the tracks could be brought to a higher safety standard.

The ban remains in effect in Switzerland to this day.
    The lower parliament passes a repeal in 2007, but was defeated by upper house.

Most of the other pics shows dead bodies and is not for the squeamish.

2984105700000578-3118840-image-a-40_1433973103407.jpg

2984106200000578-3118840-image-a-59_1433975699940.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

_71412942_stephenbradbury1.jpg

I just heard about the story of Australias first gold medal in the winter olympics, stephen bradbury won gold in speed skating 1000m after being miles behind coming into the last corner, and the three competitors ahead of him collided and he glided in for gold... In the semi final, he was in the same situation coming into the last! Luck was definitely on his side!

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    _71412942_stephenbradbury1.jpg

I just heard about the story of Australias first gold medal in the winter olympics, stephen bradbury won gold in speed skating 1000m after being miles behind coming into the last corner, and the three competitors ahead of him collided and he glided in for gold... In the semi final, he was in the same situation coming into the last! Luck was definitely on his side!

To me that picture looks photoshoped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭wijam

jmayo wrote: »
    To me that picture looks photoshoped ?
    Looked mad alright, went onto YouTube, talk about a bit of luck

• Advertisement

cruyff-turn-1434714704-800.jpg

:(

ONeills-Jersey-1916.jpg

Just heard about this jersey. Anyone buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

ONeills-Jersey-1916.jpg

Just heard about this jersey. Anyone buying it?

Saw a few people wearing them yesterday. Horrendous looking yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The Goal that sank my heart - it was that moment in 2009 that I stopped caring about Football, why get so worked up over something that is out of your control. I now treat it as a social event, win or lose still on the booze!!

854141_w2.jpg

Is that Bohs v Salzburg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Alistair Brownlee on his way to victory at the London 2012 Olympics triathlon. I thought Gomez might win but Brownlee pulled ahead on the run despite having to train for a number of months in a specially designed pool with a treadmill in it due to a tendon injury.

britains-alistair-brownlee-and-italys-alessandro-fabian-compete-in-picture-id149933243

article-2184568-14683F8E000005DC-405_634x423.jpg

Ranieri.jpg

Shane Lowry celebrates a hole in one at the 2016 Masters tournament.

relive-shane-lowrys-hole-in-one-in-all-its-magical-glory.jpg

Sports illustrated cover says it all.

The Great White Shark Greg Norman collapse in 1996 when he blew a five shot lead on final day and let that spanner faldo win.

Sometimes it is not always the triumphs that make for the lasting images, sometimes it is the disappointments.

norman-agonay-at-augusta.jpg

1426268161877.jpg

greg_norman_1870309c.jpg

masters_96_shark_299x442_1.png

• Advertisement

Didn't "Spanner" Faldo win the Master's three times?

Think Faldo liked the number three, three wives, three Masters and Three Open Championships

Yes, Faldo won the Masters in 1989,1990 and again in 1996.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Faldo also won by 5 strokes that day, a lot of the reason Norman was under so much pressure was cause of Faldo's performance.

Screen-Shot-2015-12-27-at-11.43.08.png

Did this man cost Leicester City the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oblomov wrote: »
    Screen-Shot-2015-12-27-at-11.43.08.png

Did he cost West Ham United a Champions league place?

Did he cost West Ham United a Champions league place?

"in all probability" the side suffering the most from poor, inadequate, woeful, misinterpretation of the rules of the game wrong decisions has to be Leicester Vity.

West Ham with over aggressive and restrictive containment with arms around necks clearly and with menace escaped the punitive actions by the referee.
    Whe6ter the referee is suffering from myopic vision or other vision defects he truly epitomises the adage of " there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see"

The conspiracy theorist could well imagine that those with the most to gain, ot at least save, would be those not having to pay the lucrative wagers placed on teams at the beginning of the season.

Then West Ham, even with the additional points, two. from, a win would still be one point behind Man Utd and not achieving a place for Champions league, And, Liverpool's charge may well see them finish above West Ham.

And why and How are Boards following the low contrast fashion that Tom, Dick, Pat, Mike and Harry are using, what happened to individuality

[ul]
    [/ul]

[ul]
    [/ul]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

1991 champions League final - Oliver Kahn won't celebrate a penalty shootout victory with his teammates until after he consoles opposing goalkeeper Santiago Canizares.

132658_12.jpg

1025388d1456175848-foxes-fight-flight-screen-shot-2015-08-22-14.01.12.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On that last picture, if Middlesborough win the Championship this weekend, Richie de Laet will get a Premier League and Championship winner's medal.

Advertisement