Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ryani air , the first sharia airline

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

Given Ireland's disgraceful treatment of its own citizens I don't think we can complain too much. Again, don't fly with them if you dislike Sharia law.

Are you comparing the treatment of Irish citizens by the current government to Sharia law? Feck me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

ken wrote: »
    Strangely enough yes they can. The weird bit is they have to have a male relative drive them to the airport.

Muslim women are allowed to drive in Malaysia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    Muslim women are allowed to drive in Malaysia.

Yeah, I got mixed up with my countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

kettlehead wrote: »
    Are you comparing the treatment of Irish citizens by the current government to Sharia law? Feck me.

He never said "current governmant".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Yeah, I got mixed up with my countries.

Big difference. The Saudis are Wahabi Muslims and the Malaysians mostly Shafi'i..

It's a bit like confusing Roman Catholics with Presbyterians or Baptists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He never said "current governmant".

Indeed I did not. Thank you for pointing this out.

Sharia law does not have anything remotely resembling a monopoly on treating people badly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Huge confusion between Saudi Arabia and Malaysia on this thread.

Suggesting that women are "allowed to drive" in Malaysia is suggesting it's something gifted to them, anyone who holds a licence there can drive, same as here.
    The obnoxious rules around women in some countries has nothing to do with their faith and everything to do with their national culture, which is why you see women oppressed in Hindu, Muslim and Christian countries all over the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Suggesting that women are "allowed to drive" in Malaysia is suggesting it's something gifted to them, anyone who holds a licence there can drive, same as here.
    The obnoxious rules around women in some countries has nothing to do with their faith and everything to do with their national culture, which is why you see women oppressed in Hindu, Muslim and Christian countries all over the planet.

What??? I was referring to posters confusing Saudi law with Malaysian law.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wonder do they base their safety standards around absurd myths. I imagine they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Given Ireland's disgraceful treatment of its own citizens I don't think we can complain too much. Again, don't fly with them if you dislike Sharia law.

Regardless of whether you're talking about current or past governments - what a monumentally stupid thing to say.

Can you point to any time in our recent history, say the past 200 years where Irish people have been stoned to death, beheaded or had limbs hacked off for transgressing religious laws?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I don't see the problem here . Royal Brunei, Saudi Arabian and Iran Air are all enforcing Sharia law and the are the same as Aer Lingus.( Well maybe not Iran Air)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I wonder do they base their safety standards around absurd myths. I imagine they don't.

Why would they?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It's ok, it is not Al Qaeda air.

These people know how to land a plane properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Regardless of whether you're talking about current or past governments - what a monumentally stupid thing to say.

Can you point to any time in our recent history, say the past 200 years where Irish people have been stoned to death, beheaded or had limbs hacked off for transgressing religious laws?

No but I can point to institutionalised child abuse, misogyny, confiscating children from their parents, Magdalene laundries, a mass grave of 800 children in Tuam, workhouses, Mother and Baby homes, Savita and the X case.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Strangely enough yes they can. The weird bit is they have to have a male relative drive them to the airport.

Im just wondering how would it work if the pilot was female living under Sharia law, because under Sharia Law an unmarried woman is under the guardianship of her nearest male relative, would this mean that he would have to be in the cockpit with her if her co-pilot was a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

There have been many Themed or Religious transport operations that appeal to a niche market of travelers, but ever since the Christian airline 'Jehovah's Wings' crashed on it's maiden voyage in 1985, transport with a supernatural theme was never going to get popular in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Im just wondering how would it work if the pilot was female living under Sharia law, because under Sharia Law an unmarried woman is under the guardianship of her nearest male relative, would this mean that he would have to be in the cockpit with her if her co-pilot was a man?

Odd how our wimmins never throw the head over this shyte? I asked the Missus and she goes " jasus, I'd love a hijab - no need to get the war-paint on and have the hair done.." I thought she'd be seriously anti... who could ever figure them out?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Our past behaviour is no impediment to pointing out modern day injustices.
    It was criticism of outdated, unjust laws that got them changed.
    Sharia law does not have anything remotely resembling a monopoly on treating people badly.
    Yes but at least our legal system is aspirational and trying to get better.
    Sharia law on the other hand is firmly rooted in the past.
    No but I can point to institutionalised child abuse, misogyny, confiscating children from their parents, Magdalene laundries, a mass grave of 800 children in Tuam, workhouses, Mother and Baby homes, Savita and the X case.
    And how many of those are issues today.
    The last one was solved by the current government.
    Has there been any significant advancements in Sharia law in the mean time?

Here's a review of the inaugural flight from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi

The name derives from that of its founders, who guessing from their ethnic Indian names, are not Muslims, but astute business people operating in a predominantly Muslim market.

There's free snacks, hot food for purchase and souvenirs on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Nomis21 wrote: »
    There have been many Themed or Religious transport operations that appeal to a niche market of travelers, but ever since the Christian airline 'Jehovah's Wings' crashed on it's maiden voyage in 1985, transport with a supernatural theme was never going to get popular in Europe

Bad choice of name. They should have called themselves "Flying Witnesses."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And how many of those are issues today.
    The last one was solved by the current government.
    Has there been any significant advancements in Sharia law in the mean time?
    Like women being elected for the first time in Saudi Arabia?

humanji wrote: »
    Like women being elected for the first time in Saudi Arabia?
    That change came about based on a decision by late Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud.
    Can you show that it was based on a change in Sharia law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

That change came about based on a decision by late Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud.

Unless the quran rewrites itself how can sharia law change?

Any change in laws are based on people's decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭golfball37

Can the pilot be a wonan?

Would you trust one landing a plane with a Burka on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Indeed, all of these terrible things did happen. I guess Sharia and Islamic fundamentalism are ok then, and we shouldn't complain. Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Modern law superseeded previous law. That's how it changed. That's how it works.
    feargale wrote: »
    Indeed, all of these terrible things did happen. I guess Sharia and Islamic fundamentalism are ok then, and we shouldn't complain.
    The point you're pretending to miss is that you can condemn both, but you can't condemn one while pretending the other didn't happen.

humanji wrote: »
    Modern law superseeded previous law. That's how it changed. That's how it works.
    So women being elected is Saudi Arabi has nothing to do with advancements in Sharia law, just as I thought.
    The point you're pretending to miss is that you can condemn both, but you can't condemn one while pretending the other didn't happen.
    Care to point out all the posters who are doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Azrel

Why do we need to mix religion with air travel at all? The only time this ever worked is that hilarious Father Ted episode.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    Would you trust one landing a plane with a Burka on?
    Malaysian Muslim women do not wear burkas.

Advertisement