Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to see The Force Awakens (2D vs 3D vs IMAX 3D) *Megathread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

jonnbinn wrote: »
    I presume 4 rows from the front in the IMAX is far to close. Ya?

If you are near the middle of the row then it'll be fine. It'll be great actually. :)

I only think IMAX 3D is a problem if you are too far to the side. Even then, it's not THAT big of a deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

Seen it in imc santry, the new fangled "galatic" screen, 2d . has the atmos dolby ****...
    Screen way too small imo, and atmos? The trailer for that system is pretty cool, definitely shows its capabilities but the film itself didn't seem to utilise it to full effect tbh.

Will be going to savoy 1 for second viewing, busted speakers or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I presume 4 rows from the front in the IMAX is far to close. Ya?

For one scene it might actually be really like "WOAH!!!!!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

So, 3D: yea or nay?

No. I'd rather focus on the plot and its subtleties while watching a movie that offers depth, so 2D it is for Star Wars. If I were to see something more about the effects than the plot then 3D would be fine: my brain feels like it is on an enjoyable ride but not much more than that...can't focus attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

**** it, booked in too see it in 2d in cineworld about lunch time tomorrow. Usually prefer 2d anyways, but if i like it I'll go back and see it again 3d after xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jonnbinn

Booked for Wednesday. Cant come fast enough!! Was at the IMAX a very long time ago when I was a child to see some "under the sea" thing. Think it was called the Sheridan IMAX then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Booked for Wednesday. Cant come fast enough!! Was at the IMAX a very long time ago when I was a child to see some "under the sea" thing. Think it was called the Sheridan IMAX then.

The current IMAX is nothing like the full 70mm one that was there years ago. That was the full, massive screen, this is just a pretty good screen with an unwarranted premium ticket price and aggressive branding everywhere. You need to go abroad to find a proper IMAX screen these days.

Indeed none of these 'branded' digital screens have won me over to be perfectly frank: they all just seem like ways to bump up ticket prices (and it works), and tend to be more impressive in tech demos than in actual films. They're not bad screens by any stretch, but in my experience they're usually barely noticeably superior to any modern, well calibrated system. That the IMAX shows most things in 3D (when there's a 3D version anywhere) rules it right out for me too, and I feel the seats are too close to the screen. Not to mention my first experience there - The Hobbit in 48FPS - was horrid (more the frame rate's fault than the screen's, true :pac:) and that kinda ruined it for me.

Just give me Lighthouse 1 - simple, effective, comfortable, well priced and reliable quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

The current IMAX is nothing like the full 70mm one that was there years ago. That was the full, massive screen..

Aye. I was only in in it once back in the 90s and it was amazing. It was so steep that they had railings for people to hold as they walked up to their (very uncomfortable) seats but wow was the 3D good. It was so good you were putting your hand out to try and touch things which appeared as if they were right in front of you, or at least that is my teenage memory of it. From memory it was some dinosaur film with that long blonde haired guy from that TV show Thirty Something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have seen Star Wars TFA,s twice now. Seen it once in an Odeon Cinema and found it perfectly good for both picture and sound. Also seen it at screen 2 in the Savoy as well and found it good too. Did not see the point of paying extra for screen 1 when the only difference between 1 and 2 there is the branding.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

Rafal wrote: »
    No. I'd rather focus on the plot and its subtleties while watching a movie that offers depth, so 2D it is for Star Wars. If I were to see something more about the effects than the plot then 3D would be fine: my brain feels like it is on an enjoyable ride but not much more than that...can't focus attention.

Spoilers : there's not much plot or subtleties in this movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

A warning about Vue: the ads in front of Star Wars are excessive, more than usual. And I don’t mean trailers. Ads!

Arrive at least 20 minutes late.

And if you are seeing it in 2D, avoid screens 1, 4, 5, 9 and 10.

Oh yes, you're right, but I had to drop my kids to school so I actually timed it perfectly, arrived just as a trailer for the new Independence Day was on, which I've no interest in, and then straight into the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

For the 3D shows do we bring along our RealD 3D glasses, or do they give them for free there?

and for the record, Cineworld IMAX is better than Odeon is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

McDermotX wrote: »
    Can add the biggest 2D Screen 3 to that list in Vue.

Annoying pressure mark on the screen in the top left quadrant which sticks out like a sore thumb in the bright Jakku scenes

and once you see the pressure mark - you can't unsee it. It didn't take too much away from the film, except during the lighter scenes, when it was very obvious.

My question was ignored in the other thread so can anyone say whether it's better to see Star Wars in Cineworld IMAX or Odeon ISENSE ?

Also for both do I need to bring a paid of RealD 3D glasses, or are they different?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mrcheez wrote: »
    My question was ignored in the other thread so can anyone say whether it's better to see Star Wars in Cineworld IMAX or Odeon ISENSE ?

Also for both do I need to bring a paid of RealD 3D glasses, or are they different?

Neither. See it in 2D in the Lighthouse or Savoy 1. But if you insist on 3D, see it in Digital IMAX which should be brighter that regular 3D.

I’ve merged this with the existing thread.

Neither. See it in 2D in the Lighthouse or Savoy 1. But if you insist on 3D, see it in Digital IMAX which should be brighter that regular 3D.

I’ve merged this with the existing thread.

ya I likes the 3D ... can watch 2D anytime after

OK Cineworld IMAX it is, thanks

oh btw do I take my RealD 3D glasses with me, or do they give them free in Cineworld for the IMAX version?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mrcheez wrote: »
    oh btw do I take my RealD 3D glasses with me, or do they give them free in Cineworld for the IMAX version?

Not sure but I think they are included in the price.

Not sure but I think they are included in the price.

yeah just went through the cineworld booking process and it has a note:
    This is an IMAX 3D performance, glasses will be provided at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    I've been 9 times in the cinema. And cannot wait for the DVD.

Have you seen it in the same location each time? If not, I would like to know where you felt the best showing was. I saw it on Screen 1 in Vue and I felt the sound was disappointing. I saw it in 3D on the Empire IMAX in Leicester Square and was blown away by both the sound and display (IMAX laser projector), but I want to see it in 2D again somewhere in Ireland. Was thinking of the iSENSE in Blanch, but if you have a recommendation I would like to hear it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Falthyron wrote: »
    Have you seen it in the same location each time? If not, I would like to know where you felt the best showing was. I saw it on Screen 1 in Vue and I felt the sound was disappointing. I saw it in 3D on the Empire IMAX in Leicester Square and was blown away by both the sound and display (IMAX laser projector), but I want to see it in 2D again somewhere in Ireland. Was thinking of the iSENSE in Blanch, but if you have a recommendation I would like to hear it. :)

Imax in Cineworld Parnell Street would be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

murpho999 wrote: »
    Imax in Cineworld Parnell Street would be your best option.

Thanks! I had a quick look there and the IMAX screen is showing it in 3D, does that screen ever show it in 2D?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Falthyron wrote: »
    Thanks! I had a quick look there and the IMAX screen is showing it in 3D, does that screen ever show it in 2D?

I went to screen 2 in Savoy and screen 1 in the light house. Preferred the light house. And will probably go there if I go again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Is imax here any good though? 19.50 for a ticket! Crazy money.

I've only seen it in Savoy 1 and lighthouse cos it's on my doorstep.

Didn't bother with cineworld or Liffey valley or blanch.
    Not had the best viewing experiences in them. Large gangs of kids and the melt the brains messing / talking / phone crap that comes with them.

€19.50 is a lot to pay to see any film. Is it worth it for TFA? I hate going to cineworld. But I would like to see Imax. May be tempted. What do ye think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SarahBM wrote: »
    €19.50 is a lot to pay to see any film. Is it worth it for TFA? I hate going to cineworld. But I would like to see Imax. May be tempted. What do ye think?

Remember: Cineworld only offers "IMAX". It's a pretty good digital screen cheekily branded to remind people of a better format available elsewhere. Asking as much as double the price you'd pay in other, IMO better cinemas is an absolute farce and something that should be wholeheartedly rejected :)

And that's not even getting into the fact they're not showing the 2D version :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Remember: Cineworld only offers "IMAX". It's a pretty good digital screen cheekily branded to remind people of a better format available elsewhere. Asking as much as double the price you'd pay in other, IMO better cinemas is an absolute farce and something that should be wholeheartedly rejected :)

And that's not even getting into the fact they're not showing the 2D version :pac:

It's not a real IMAX screen in Cineworld but the theater has the best sound of any cinema in Ireland. Well worth paying €20 to see TFA there. I will be doing it again this week :)

ktulu123 wrote: »
    It's not a real IMAX screen in Cineworld but the theater has the best sound of any cinema in Ireland. Well worth paying €20 to see TFA there. I will be doing it again this week :)

I dont really want to see it in 3D though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

SarahBM wrote: »

3d imax is worth the extra money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Cineworld is offering it in 2D, 3D and 3D-Imax. Click on the individual viewing times in this link for type of viewing. Personally speaking, I think the 3D Imax offered is a waste of viewers money and should be ignored......... https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj4nMqRtqDKAhVMNxQKHf_EBIwQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cineworld.ie%2Fcinemas%2Fdublin&usg=AFQjCNGXqW-_HDZub1Rk7WlQysVmO1e84A

Advertisement