Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to see The Force Awakens (2D vs 3D vs IMAX 3D) *Megathread*

Options
  • 17-12-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Which are the best seats at IMC Savoy 1: middle, front, back? A or V, low number or high? Is the sound decent, ATMOS, perhaps?

Any other suggestions of a good, maybe VIP seating 2D screen with great sound in or near Dublin?

Why? Episode 4 was the first real movie (not a cartoon) that I saw in a cinema in my life, and I'll never forget that feeling. I'd like to see Episode 7 in the best place that could transport me back to those days... Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

The back row smack in the middle, imo..

However, surely you'll want to see it in IMAX 3?

Back row, Screen 17, Cineworld IMAX will be where I'll be watching it anyway.

But Savoy 1 would be my second choice for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

However, surely you'll want to see it in IMAX 3?

Back row, Screen 17, Cineworld IMAX will be where I'll be watching it anyway.

But Savoy 1 would be my second choice for sure.

Thanks! I'd love to see it in IMAX but in 2D, sorry, not a fan of 3D...can't focus on the plot or action as my brain feels like it is on a rollercoaster: enjoyable ride but I've no idea what has just happened. Is there an IMAX 2D screening it? I'd like that very much.

Rafal wrote: »
    Thanks! I'd love to see it in IMAX but in 2D, sorry, not a fan of 3D...can't focus on the plot or action as my brain feels like it is on a rollercoaster: enjoyable ride but I've no idea what has just happened. Is there an IMAX 2D screening it? I'd like that very much.

No 2D screenings in Cineworld's IMAX. All the Odeon iSense screenings are in 3D also.

I'm far from a format snob, and I know the Dublin IMAX is not "true" IMAX but apparently there is a huge difference between seeing it on a run of the mill widescreen average cinema screen:

_1438698900.jpg

..and an IMAX 70MM format:

_1438698908.jpg

So that's why I'm gonna see on the closet to genuine IMAX as I can and at the moment that appears to be Dublin's LieMAX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For the sake of one scene, which will only be a bit taller in the digital IMAX print, it's not worth it.

For the sake of one scene, which will only be a bit taller in the digital IMAX print, it's not worth it.

Don't you think that overall the IMAX experience, even the Cineworld Ireland one, is better overall? I just feel an overall better immersion in films there than in any other screens (when I get a back row seat at least).

The sound alone would be worth it for me. Screen 9 I think is far too low in that regard. Savoy 1 is better, sure, but still not near the IMAX.

iSense at the Point I only seen Dark Knight in and I felt it was great and all but felt that I was needing to look downwards a lot and I hated the seats there too.

• Advertisement

Is Savoy 1 ATMOS?

Out of interest, why the back row? Is there a good rear/sides soundstage in that row? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'm avoiding the Star Wars thread for fear of spoilers but I'd like to hear what people thought of the 3D? My local is only showing 3D on their big screen so unless the 3D was worth it, I'll be driving elsewhere.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

There are some shots which look quite good. For example and this is not a spoiler, in the trailer you see Rey scavenging an old ship, there is some great depth added to the scene with 3D. Some of the shots of X-Wings, etc. are good too. However, this was not filmed in 3D. It is a post-processed 3D movie which means it was added in after being shot.

I will be going to see the 2D version after Christmas as I would like to see it how J.J. intended for it to be shown, but my impression of the 3D is: it doesn't really add that much to the film, if anything at all, but it doesn't take anything from it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I always take the middle centre if I can get it.

Same applies to most cinemas - that's where the audio is mixed for and I think it gives the best view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Being honest, I'm sorry I didn't go to the 2d version. I like 3D, but thought it was very dark and dull.

The film itself is terrific, I'm looking forward to seeing it again in 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭golfball37

It was fine. The Tie fighters, Star Destroyers and X Wing ships all played well but otherwise there was no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Saw the film in the Odean by the Point and the projection was far too dark so I would not recommend the 3D there.
    The 3D effect was used sparingly too so it's not worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Good to see (or hear, rather) the Savoy still have a busted speaker or two in their big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

IMAX 3D in Cineworld had some good scenes.

Wedwood wrote: »
    Being honest, I'm sorry I didn't go to the 2d version. I like 3D, but thought it was very dark and dull.

The film itself is terrific, I'm looking forward to seeing it again in 2D.

I don't know why more people aren't complaining about this. You're essentially wearing sunglasses.

Done. Back rows were good but I think closer to the middle would have been better, as the screen seemed a bit small from the back. Sound was good, seats ok, not great, not bad.

Movie...well, that's for another thread, but it made me cry, laugh, feel like a kid again. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :) Still, I wish there was a little bit more depth, and more risk taking with the plot. Can't wait for the next one!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

IMAX 3D was class. Dundrum Screen 1 3D was quite dark but still grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I went with a group that picked the 3D version. But I really wish I had of went with my initial thoughts of just going myself to the 2D version. I swore after Jurassic World I wouldn't see a post processed 3D movie again. Anyways I hated it. A lot of scenes looked quite dark and apart from some good shots the quality didn't seem great. I had to keep removing the glasses to just see some brightness. I seen it on the biggest and best imax screen in Oklahoma so quality of the setup wasn't the issue. Maybe I just hate 3D too much. But I'd recommend 2D over the 3D.

Rafal wrote: »
    Out of interest, why the back row? Is there a good rear/sides soundstage in that row? Thanks!

Nobody to kick the back of your seat.

Ah it depends on the screen for me. Savoy 1 and I think the back row is ideal but Screen 9 in Cineworld and it would be the middle for sure as the back row seems miles back. IMAX would be another from the back row. Anytime I am in the IMAX and it's not that full, I see people leaving their seats in the middle to front and moving up to the empty seats along the side as those seats are too damn close to the screen. I had a third row seat for Oblivion there and walked out as it was a nightmare trying to watch it: hard on the eyes and neck.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. I'm not seeing it until next Friday (only night I could get tickets in the back row of the Imax).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The Savoy?That hasn't been a cinema in years.Oh hang on youre talking some place in Dublin,sorry can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pissedoffmale

Every cinema I've checked are only showing the 3d version on their largest screens, and let's face it, the post processed 3d is just a money grab. Does anybody know where is the best 2d experience going is in Dublin? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Every cinema I've checked are only showing the 3d version on their largest screens
    http://lighthouse.admit-one.eu/?p=details&eventCode=21437

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

On Wednesday night, I booked a 9:45am showing for the Thursday morning at the newly refurbished Vue, Liffey Valley.
    I got the back row, slap bang in the middle, about 20 other people in there and nowhere near me.
    Not had a more pleasant, uninterrupted cinema experience in years, probably since the naive, joyous days of the Ep. 4-6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A warning about Vue: the ads in front of Star Wars are excessive, more than usual. And I don’t mean trailers. Ads!

Arrive at least 20 minutes late.

And if you are seeing it in 2D, avoid screens 1, 4, 5, 9 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Can add the biggest 2D Screen 3 to that list in Vue.

Annoying pressure mark on the screen in the top left quadrant which sticks out like a sore thumb in the bright Jakku scenes.

The Savoy Screen 1 has at least a couple of busted speakers as well, so there's very limited potentially 'perfect' venues to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I saw it in screen 2 of IMC Dun Laoghaire (Thursday morning, 2D) and sound and picture were fine. Crucially I felt the rumble of the low end bass whenever the lightsabers whooshed. :D

Every cinema I've checked are only showing the 3d version on their largest screens, and let's face it, the post processed 3d is just a money grab. Does anybody know where is the best 2d experience going is in Dublin? Thanks

The reason I started this thread is because Savoy in Dublin is showing it in 2D on its Screen 1, which is "the largest screen in Ireland" according to their blurb. I would definitely recommend it there, it was very enjoyable, even if the cinema is not perfect, as others have noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

So, 3D: yea or nay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jonnbinn

I presume 4 rows from the front in the IMAX is far to close. Ya?

Advertisement