Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charger Installation

Options
  • 16-12-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

HI I am just getting ready for my Charger Installation I am an Electrican and I was going to pre run cable as I know the route to the location

Can someone please confirm the Cable that the contractor installs I would normally use 3x2.5 NYMJ for a 16a outlet but I want to be sure they are not running a larger cable to allow for future capacity increase

Thanks
    mylesm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

My charger was installed two weeks ago and they used 3x2.5 NYMJ so you should be fine with that. If you have a 6.6kw charger in the car it might be better to run heavier cable though to allow you the option of replacing the charger in the future. That being said the cable entry channel on the back of the charger may not take a bigger cable so be careful. Maybe a phone call to the installer just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Fastpud wrote: »
    My charger was installed two weeks ago and they used 3x2.5 NYMJ so you should be fine with that. If you have a 6.6kw charger in the car it might be better to run heavier cable though to allow you the option of replacing the charger in the future. That being said the cable entry channel on the back of the charger may not take a bigger cable so be careful. Maybe a phone call to the installer just to be sure.

Thanks I have opted for 3.3Kw Charger so I was presuming 3x2.5NYMJ As I say I am a spark so upgrading in the future would be no problem

mylesm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I go 3x6sqmm but I'm looking at a possible 40A depending on which EVSE I use.

cros13 wrote: »
    I go 3x6sqmm but I'm looking at a possible 40A depending on which EVSE I use.

Sure but I only have 3.3 charger so I presume I cannot exceed that

Thanks Fastpud how long after you filled in grant application was charger installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Ordered the car on 20th Nov, got an acknowledgement from ecars on the 27th was scheduled to have it installed the 4th but there was a problem with the batch of chargers so it was put back until the 8th Dec - So 19 days later.
    BTW the garage did all the paper work.
    Still haven't received the access pack for the public chargers though.

Ordered the car on 20th Nov, got an acknowledgement from ecars on the 27th was scheduled to have it installed the 4th but there was a problem with the batch of chargers so it was put back until the 8th Dec - So 19 days later.

Thanks yes just filled in the questions form from Garage

I sent an email to Ecars 2 days ago I still havent recieved as much as an acknowledgement

If ESB are not Supplying Tethered Units I presume they supply the Cable to connect car to charger at time of installation

To charge at public charge points do you need to bring the cable with you

Sorry for simple questions but first EV

mylesm

mylesm wrote: »
    If ESB are not Supplying Tethered Units I presume they supply the Cable to connect car to charger at time of installation

To charge at public charge points do you need to bring the cable with you

Sorry for simple questions but first EV

mylesm

Cable comes with the car. It's the same Type 2 Mennekes you'll use to connect to the public level 2 chargers, so you would need to bring it with you or purchase a 2nd cable.

• Advertisement

Cable comes with the car. It's the same Type 2 Mennekes you'll use to connect to the public level 2 chargers, so you would need to bring it with you or purchase a 2nd cable.

Thanks for that I have to say its not very clear for a new EV Driver all the terminology around charging cables,posts,etc up to now I have come across reading

Type 1 connector,Type 1 to Type 2, Mennekes type 2,CHAdeMO,
    Type 2 Connector

Can someone give a clear rundown of what is what

Thanks it would be great to clear my head

mylesm

What's usually referred to as the Type 1 connector is the american J1772. It is used for single phase AC power up to 250v 32A. Nissan used this connector for AC charging on the Leaf as the european standard had not been decided yet (as of 2010).

Plug:

j1772plug.png

Socket:

Dostar-033-500x500.jpg

The Type 2 Mennekes is the standard european EV charging connector (since January 2013). It supports single phase AC (up to 500v 80A) and three phase AC (up to 500V 63A). It also supports DC both in the standard connector (up to 500V 140A) and with the additional of two dedicated DC pins (up to 800V 200A) which is also known as CCS. A combined AC+DC mode is also supported but no car manufacturer has used it. Tesla also use this connector in Europe though they deliver up to 135kW DC via a slightly modified (though compatible) version of the standard Type 2 connector, they also liquid cool the cable. The Tesla variant of type 2 will be used by Aston Martin and it's rumored Bentley will.

Three phase AC at 63A over the Type 2 connector is used for rapid charging by Renault.
    CCS (Type 2 with two additional DC pins) is used by BMW, GM/Opel, Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Volvo and Ford. Jaguar Land Rover are rumored to be using CCS for their forthcoming electric models.

All public 22kW and lower AC charging points in Ireland present a Type 2 socket. 43kW AC rapid charger present a Type 2 Plug.

Plug:

MENNEKES-Stecker-Typ2_334.jpg

Socket:

HT1fCYaFQNXXXagOFbXy.jpg

CCS:

640px-CCSCombo2.svg.png

Pinout in various modes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30254&d=1378795882

CHAdeMO is the Japanese DC rapid charging standard. It supports DC charging at up to 500V 125A. Nissan, Kia and Mitsubishi vehicles use this connector for rapid charging.

chademo-plug.png

Thank you So much for this can You Clarify

NIssan use a Type 1 Socket for A/C Charging

But "All public 22kW and lower AC charging points in Ireland present a Type 2 socket"

Does that mean an adaptor is required or is the lead supplied simply an extended adaptor

Thanks
    Mylesm

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Yes a public charging cable is required but will be supplied with your new EV. It has a Type 1 Plug - Type 2 Plug. If your home charger is untethered you will need this every time you plug in. In my opinion a tethered home charger is better.

Basic things like this should be told to the customer before they make a big purchase. Maybe a handout they can give out. I only was talking to a LEAF owner at a FCP who was asking about her LEAF, like why does the guessometer range not the real range and similar questions.
    Most people will have some research into an EV that will push them to commit to a purchase but not enough to know how to operate it.

Unfortunately some salesmen will take your cash and expect the person to know all about the EV which I think is wrong. If I sell a EV I bring the customer out in the car, run through DC/Ac charging, all the buttons and features on the car etc and Im always there is they have any questions.

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    Yes a public charging cable is required but will be supplied with your new EV. It has a Type 1 Plug - Type 2 Plug.

This cable will allow you to connect to the standard Type 2 socket at public charging across 31 european countries (everywhere except France).

However if you are waiting at a rapid charger for the Chademo to free up, you would not be able to connect to the Type 2 plug on the three phase AC side of the charger.

This cable will allow you to connect to the standard Type 2 socket at public charging across 31 european countries (everywhere except France).

However if you are waiting at a rapid charger for the Chademo to free up, you would not be able to connect to the Type 2 plug on the three phase AC side of the charger.

What would you need to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

What would you need to do this
    You can only charger off the AC public charge points, or the big Rapid point with the DC charger Chademo.

Some Rapid Units have 3 cables attached.

1. Chademo(DC), for LEAF, Outlander PHEV , I-Miev
    2. Type 2. (AC) For Zoe
    3. CCS (DC) For Bmw i3

1. Chademo(DC), for LEAF, Outlander PHEV , I-Miev
    2. Type 2. (AC) For Zoe
    3. CCS (DC) For Bmw i3

Though the i3 and eGolf can use the the AC as well as CCS, just drawing maximum 240V 32A. Still at 7.4kW I can get a 15-20% charge while waiting for someone else to finish charging on the DC side.

Yes a public charging cable is required but will be supplied with your new EV. It has a Type 1 Plug - Type 2 Plug. If your home charger is untethered you will need this every time you plug in. In my opinion a tethered home charger is better.

Basic things like this should be told to the customer before they make a big purchase. Maybe a handout they can give out. I only was talking to a LEAF owner at a FCP who was asking about her LEAF, like why does the guessometer range not the real range and similar questions.
    Most people will have some research into an EV that will push them to commit to a purchase but not enough to know how to operate it.

Unfortunately some salesmen will take your cash and expect the person to know all about the EV which I think is wrong. If I sell a EV I bring the customer out in the car, run through DC/Ac charging, all the buttons and features on the car etc and Im always there is they have any questions.

I couldnt agree with you more but I find the main dealers in general in Ireland are really extremely poor i know there are exceptions but it becomes a chore going around trying to find them,Product knowledge is bad,treated like they are doing you a favor etc

I visited one dealer a couple of years ago and the saleman every question I asked he had to refer to the brochure so I just thanked him and left

In my Motoring Life I have brought in a Number of Cars from UK for personal use I am not in Trade and the difference in dealing with Motor Dealers in The UK is unbelievable they really know how to treat a customer but I suppose thats the market is huge over there look at Toyota Here as an Example If you want a new Toyota where do you go a very limited number of choices

I had a Prius and also my Friend in the UK had one 2005 models they were subject to a recall for a small clip on steering column

Here I was told to bring it in leave it with them and go about my day no courtesy car nothing even though I was without my car due to a manufacturing fault

In the UK my Friend dropped his car in was supplied with a courtesy car and when he collected his car after the repair it was valeted and a bottle of bubbly was in it and a card explaining the problem and apologies from Toyota Uk

Heres a link to a post I put up in 2009 re same problem

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055782362

This is why Tesla want nothing to do with dealers.

I think in the decades to come electric cars will be sold this way as they are essentially maintenance free and the Leaf for instance is proven to be ultra reliable so far.

You will order the car on line and it will be delivered.

I was very unimpressed when Barlo Nissan threw a "next service due in 15,000 Kms" sticker on my windscreen , first service "inspection" due at 30,000 kms. They'll probably replace the pollen filter lol.

• Advertisement

Well following on from my OP re cable etc

I had my Ecars Charge point installed yesterday and the Spec for 16a Charge Point is

3x4sq NYMJ and a 25A Type C RCBO installed in Consumer unit

Was chatting to the Guy doing it and he tells me they are very Busy doing Charge Points and Even though you would expect an increase at this time of year he feels its way more than it was in previous years

All I need now is the Car

Mylesm

My RCBO is 16 amps.

You ordered the 30 Kwh didn't you ?

My RCBO is 16 amps.

30Kw yes but 3.3Kw charger which is really what dictates the Current draw I asked the installer and he said for 16Amp Charger they install 25A Type C RCBO

My RCBO is 16 amps.

Your RCBO at 16a is very tight for a 3.3Kw Charger

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Your RCBO at 16a is very tight for a 3.3Kw Charger

Indeed, I was also told 25A for 3.3 kW and 40A (like mine) for 7.2 kW, but I would expect those breakers to have some leeway for a margin of error.

Rafal wrote: »
    Indeed, I was also told 25A for 3.3 kW and 40A (like mine) for 7.2 kW, but I would expect those breakers to have some leeway for a margin of error.

Would have a margin ok but 3.3kw is approx 14.4 amps at 230V so 16A is very close

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

My charge point installed today. Awaiting delivery date from Nissan Airside.

My mistake, just checked the RCBO, and it's 20 amps as far as I can see. there's a 20 A marking so I'm assuming that's the current rating. I can't get close enough to see it properly without taking a lot of crap out of the way.

RGS wrote: »
    My charge point installed today. Awaiting delivery date from Nissan Airside.

Did they give you any idea of delivery date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Did they give you any idea of delivery date
    Was ordered in early December and they expected car in Dublin port before christmas and available for collection mid january. Tried to contact saleman today but he was unavailable. Will try again tomorrow. Will post update if i get any info

Advertisement