Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some UK Muslims think “concentration camps” are close

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

wakka12 wrote: »
    And because billions of people believe in it doesn't give it any more grounds to be taught in schools. Its a delusion ,literally, a widely followed mass delusion yes but a delusion none the less. And should be a childs choice to follow a religion if they wish to do so, not being forced to from a young age. Children have enough to learn about without filling their heads with myths, why don't we teach them about social issues in society, or gardening , or outdoor survival. You know something useful and beneficial.

Ah yes, its all a mass delusion, like some version of the matrix..... that somehow you have evolved or freed yourself from and the rest of us are simple minions or sheep. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Ah yes, its all a mass delusion, like some version of the matrix..... that somehow you have evolved or freed yourself from and the rest of us are simple minions or sheep. :rolleyes:

Given all the different religions and beliefs it is impossible for them all to be right. Along with no one religion having a population of 51% of the world then most people have to be wrong. Now before the usuals get triggered Im not saying who is right and who is wrong but according to the maths, the majority will be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well can you prove you're not simply following a mass dellusion, show me its something more than that? No, thats the thing about dellusions

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

kettlehead wrote: »
    Comparing what happened to the Jews during the Holocaust to the situation with Muslims today. An absurd comparison to try and make.

If there is as valid comparison to be made between any current persecutions and those of the thirties in Germany, it is with the plight of Christians in Iraq and Pakistan
    What do you think will be achieved by doing something like this?

Nothing. But, a thought, a good deal of the suspicion that falls upon Islam currently (apart from the obvious reasons), is associated with it's Arabic origins. As I have said before , if Islam is to be accepted as a natural part of the European cultural landscape it will have to lose the Arabic precipitate that accrues to it. For example , as well as the Niqab etc, it would be useful if mosques were to take some architectural cues from the cultures in which they are constructed. A minaret that looked like a tower as they are traditionally built in Europe would be a welcome sight. Chinese Muslims managed it;their minarets look like pagodas. Why not the same here?

https://twitter.com/SecularlyYours
    http://www.skepticink.com/nocrossnocrescent/2013/08/31/the-hijab-and-the-confederate-flag-a-fair-comparison/
    Nodin wrote: »
    I refer ye both to the rather lucid point made in post 276.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    but this argument just reminds me a lot of the marriage referendum argument. People said the ban on same sex marriage was for everyone, therefore straight people can't marry the same gender either = equal rights. But thats bull****, only gay people want to marry the same sex.
    And its the same with muslims in Europe, as far as I know they are the only cultural group who wear garments that cover the face as part of their religious identity during normal daily life. So the ban only affects muslims..

And I repeat the point I made previously in Post#260. "This practice is one of two things. 1. Its not Islamic but a cultural habit, dating from the Abbasids, or even further back, that became associated with Islam. In this case,there is no problem with a ban 2. It is islamic, (but part of the extreme Salafist tendency) in which case it is no credit to Islam and is a vile, reactionary, misogynistic rule that we are under no obligation to accept". Bit mixed-up here..."they are the only cultural group who wear garments that cover the face as part of their religious identity". So culture or religion?

"People said". I can't say I heard that strange argument. In any case, that is the perfect opportunity for Muslims to cast out this Salafi importation from their religion. By tolerating it they appear to be the religion that is most ostentatiously misogynistic. .The niqab is an abomination, and the attention it draws to itself does Muslims no favours. In fact,moderate Muslims would be better off without that millstone around their necks. As Alishba Zarmeen said, it is analogous to the Confederate flag in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ilkhanid wrote: »
    (.......................) Confederate flag in the USA.

O look, somebodys putting up hoops for muslims to jump through to prove they aren't evil.

If the Niqab (or the flag) fits wear it.

If it looks like racism, white suprematism and nostalgia for an era of black subordination and powerlessness (under the guise of "white culture" and-in the civil war days-spurious and self-serving religious justfication for slavery) then that's what it is.

If it looks like misogyny, male suprematism and nostalgia for an era of women's subordination and powerlessness (under the guise of spurious and self-serving religious justfication for female inferiority and servitude) then that's what it is.

ilkhanid wrote: »
    If the Niqab (.............) that's what it is.

Gas. If every muslim majority state banned entirely the burkha, you'd be here saying (a) they're all the same (b) they're intolerant.

Gas. If every muslim majority state banned entirely the burkha, you'd be here saying (a) they're all the same (b) they're intolerant.
    You know a lot (you think) about what I'd say. I suggest a career in fortune-telling.You can't be much worse than the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

O look, somebodys putting up hoops for muslims to jump through to prove they aren't evil.
    O look, somebodies straw-manning.
    The poster isn't asking Muslims to prove that they are not evil.
    It's just more of the same mud slinging by yourself to smear posters who you disagree with.

• Advertisement

O look, somebodies straw-manning.
    The poster isn't asking Muslims to prove that they are not evil.
    It's just more of the same mud slinging by yourself to smear posters who you disagree with.

No, I'm afraid its the usual "Why don't they...." trotted out with no regard for logic or human behaviour, precedent or sense of any sort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Limited poll. Include Japanese internment. Fear breeds injustice.

Advertisement