Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Leicester match thread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

jm08 wrote: »
    As for Penney's relationship with Munster - seems to be pretty friendly going on twitter. Seems to hold Paul O'Connell in very high esteem as well, so you really have read that one wrong.

Penney and POC could have high mutual respect but POC might not agree with Penney's philosophy/gameplan for munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fair enough on Penney, I don't think the environment was right for him to stay. There was also some very outspoken media pundits calling for him to go and Foley to be brought in.

The extremely poor comments Foley made about the ref show to me he's feeling huge pressure, he essentially lashed out looking for someone to blame. It was a bad decision from Poite but it was a penalty in the Leicester half. He should be focusing on what happened subsequently rather than crying. Not sure he's long for the job tbh.

Funnily enough, Penney has said on twitter that he would like to come back to Munster if circumstances allowed. As Penney is a close friend of Robbie Deans, I imagine that will be after Nucifora has departed these shores.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Penney and POC could have high mutual respect but POC might not agree with Penney's philosophy/gameplan for munster.

Thats a big 'might.' Not sure it was gameplan POC was referring to anyway - I thought it was more intensity and directness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Funnily enough, Penney has said on twitter that he would like to come back to Munster if circumstances allowed. As Penney is a close friend of Robbie Deans, I imagine that will be after Nucifora has departed these shores.

And JJ will most likely consider coming back upon that same departure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Leicester with a nine point lead and the match won decided to kick another 3 points when anyone would expect them to push for the bonus point.
    But they didn't and its puzzling.
    A bit of a Robshaw moment from the 'Tigers' there or maybe they don't rate Munster to challenge them next week.
    In fact didn't Cockerill say as much during the week, targeting a double over Munster.
    Maybe he just went on the evidence that was in front of him from the Connacht and Dragons games.
    We're at nothing at the moment and being hopeful of major step up is pie in the sky.
    There's something very wrong in this professional set up and it's urgent now that it's fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

pastense wrote: »
    Leicester with a nine point lead and the match won decided to kick another 3 points when anyone would expect them to push for the bonus point.
    But they didn't and its puzzling.

Ensuring Munster couldn't get the losing BP with a kick or drop goal was as important as them getting one themselves.

I think the IRFU have a big say in the coaching staff recruitment and extension (i.e., we heard that the IRFU wanted to give Leo a 1 year contract, rather than 2).

For the Nth time, Penney accepted his 1 year extension (1 year is normal extension - both Cheika & Schmidt were on them). He then got an offer of a coaching job in Japan which was 3 years and went there. Lets not forget that lots of coaching staff are jumping ship (like Jono Gibbs, Dan McFarland, David Humphreys), for similar jobs outside of Ireland and ex-players like ROG are keeping clear of Ireland for the moment apparently.

As for Penney's relationship with Munster - seems to be pretty friendly going on twitter. Seems to hold Paul O'Connell in very high esteem as well, so you really have read that one wrong.

Again, everyone else's fault bar anyone at Munster. Similar sentiments from Foley about the ref yesterday, pass the buck.

Ensuring Munster couldn't get the losing BP with a kick or drop goal was as important as them getting one themselves.

That has some merit as a counter argument but it doesn't stack up in the slightest in the real world.
    The dogs on the street know that a home Q/F is a must and that's achieved on points earned in the group stages.
    They left one behind but it probably wont cost them at the end.
    Themselves and Stade will both qualify comfortably now.

That has some merit as a counter argument but it doesn't stack up in the slightest in the real world.
    The dogs on the street know that a home Q/F is a must and that's achieved on points earned in the group stages.
    They left one behind but it probably wont cost them at the end.
    Themselves and Stade will both qualify comfortably now.

Themselves and Stade will qualify now because Munster got nothing. Munster had 5 points from 5 going in to last night. If they had got a LBP, they'd have everything to play for going to Welford Road. Munster getting nothing was very significant. Leicester will have been delighted to do that on the road.

It's not just a counter argument, it's precisely why they took the kick at goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Themselves and Stade will qualify now because Munster got nothing. Munster had 5 points from 5 going in to last night. If they had got a LBP, they'd have everything to play for going to Welford Road. Munster getting nothing was very significant. Leicester will have been delighted to do that on the road.

It's not just a counter argument, it's precisely why they took the kick at goal.

When Munster win the return leg its all to play for again kid!

• Advertisement

Again, everyone else's fault bar anyone at Munster. Similar sentiments from Foley about the ref yesterday, pass the buck.

As opposed to blaming Foley for everything then :p

You're making it up as you're going along now. Points will decide who tops the group. Leicester left one behind.
    At this stage it's likely we'll struggle but if we won 4 games with bonus points and Leicester lost a couple I'd say they'll hardly offer your excuse if they come up short by a point.

You're making it up as you're going along now. Points will decide who tops the group. Leicester left one behind.
    At this stage it's likely we'll struggle but if we won 4 games with bonus points and Leicester lost a couple I'd say they'll hardly offer your excuse if they come up short by a point.

Do you honestly think they just went for the kick at goal for the craic and weren't aware that it would leave Munster needing a try to get anything?

how do you figure leicester left a point behind????

Even if they kicked to the corner there is no guarantee they score a try.

Do you honestly think they just went for the kick at goal for the craic and weren't aware that it would leave Munster needing a try to get anything?

decision came from their coaches, Geordan Murphy was on with the tee before their on field leaders made a choice

decision came from their coaches, Geordan Murphy was on with the tee before their on field leaders made a choice

Which makes it all the more likely that it was done completely in the knowledge of the impact it would have on the scoreboard and bonus points for Munster.

Which makes it all the more likely that it was done completely in the knowledge of the impact it would have on the scoreboard and bonus points for Munster.

beat munster back to back and a sure 5 pointer v treviso to come and they are as good as at home in QF

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've only missed two home european games since I started following Munster in 1999. Both were v Leicester and they won both. :mad: I missed the first game as I couldn't get a ticket, it will be a while before that becomes an issue again.

I haven't seen the game nor highlights yet but that loss as good as puts us out of europe. Bitter pill to swallow for everyone involved in Munster rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Very disappointing weekend for Munster - I was sure they get through to the knockouts easily enough from that pool.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Very disappointing weekend for Munster - I was sure they get through to the knockouts easily enough from that pool.

Losing Jones, POM & TOD at the start of the season and now Casey too changed my view on how we'd do in the pool. Now with three games over three weeks in January I think we haven't a hope. We just don't have the depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Murphy was actually trying to casually backpedal off the pitch when he realised that the guys wanted to go to the corner. I think he forgot he was the one carrying the tee and was just thinking to bring on water, he looked a Lil embarrassed.

Poite spotted him just before he got off the pitch and told the players they had to go for posts. They wernt happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

vkid wrote: »
    There was a cheer when he was taken off, think it was more aimed at foley than keatley. He should not have been left on that long....everyone around us in the west stand was saying the same.. about bloody time...

I thought the same that it was more an ironic cheer at Foley deciding to finally take him off on 73 mins as it was too late at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

podge79 wrote: »
    I thought the same that it was more an ironic cheer at Foley deciding to finally take him off on 73 mins as it was too late at that stage.

Whether ironic or not, the message to Keatley wasn't positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johnanthony1

Ian Keatley is just not up to Inter Provincial rugby & Munster need to replace him asap. I wish there was a January window where we could bring Madigan in on loan as he is now wasted in Leinster.
    However going by the way Sexton is playing Madigan might be the no.1 outhalf after Xmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

According to the pro12 website, Leinster Vs. Munster will be in the RDS this year? Is that a mistake or is it because it will be so soon after the 6 nations?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

According to the pro12 website, Leinster Vs. Munster will be in the RDS this year? Is that a mistake or is it because it will be so soon after the 6 nations?

It's down on the Leinster site as being in the RDS too so I guess it's in the RDS.

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's down on the Leinster site as being in the RDS too so I guess it's in the RDS.

It's in the Aviva. Just a mistake on the website or hasn't been changed yet.

Season ticket holders are getting emails about their aviva tickets for the Munster game at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement