Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESVE Installation question

Options
  • 08-12-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey,

Just got my ESVE installed today woohoo! It was fitted on the side wall but the connector is facing the back of the house away from the car.
    Is this normal? Seems to me that it is only going to put stress on the ESVE connector as the cables will be bent back on its self.
    Are there left hand and right hand ESVEs? Is there any change I could get ESB to switch it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Fastpud wrote: »
    Hey,

Is there any change I could get ESB to switch it?

Sorry that should read :

"Is there any chance I could get ESB to switch it?"

Tried to edit it but it just kept crashing

Take a photo, upload it to photobucket or the likes and post the link here so we can see.

Here it is:

i64.tinypic.com/vpuslf.jpg

need to add http etc to front as I am not allowed to post

vpuslf.jpg

Hmmm, attach the cable and let's see the cable attached while plugged into the car the way you intend having it normally.

Why do you think the cable will be stressed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Unless it's stretched why would there be any real stress on the cable. My chargers both point away from the car and there is no issue as the cable can hang freely

s.welstead wrote: »
    Unless it's stretched why would there be any real stress on the cable. My chargers both point away from the car and there is no issue as the cable can hang freely

Ok so maybe I am worrying too much. Wanted to be sure.

Yeah I think you are, the cables are pretty tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

If you were concerned about the direction of the box is pointing could you not just turn it 180deg ? (i.e. upside down).

Is there an option to get a tethered cable from the ESB ? as I don't fancy the thought of taking the cable out of the boot and connecting to the car and the wall each time, particularly of wet winding nights. Would much prefer to have a cable on the wall at the ready on the wall every time I want to charge..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

steelboots wrote: »
    tethered cable

For reasons I've covered exhaustively at this point those are a bad idea.

Trading minor convenience in the present for future heartache...when you could just buy another cable and avoid all of the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

cros13 wrote: »

Trading minor convenience in the present for future heartache...when you could just buy another cable and avoid all of the issues.

could you link to your exhaustive cover of why tethered is bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

And as a professional EE , I've exhaustively rebutted your contentions. Connectors are the point of unreliability in any wiring scheme. More connectors equals greater unreliability.

" proper " thethered is always more reliable long term then connector based. Strategy

A tethered connection is always exposed to the weather if out doors.

Seriously though, getting the cable from the back seat twice a day has not proved a difficult or bothersome task no matter the weather. I got a good jacket so the rain doesn't bother me. If wind and rain bothered me I'd have a pretty hard time living in Ireland !

The biggest point I've always made is that installing an EVSE with a fixed american J1772 is utter madness because you'll have to swap it when you get a car which uses the proper european Type 2 mennekes.

The biggest point I've always made is that installing an EVSE with a fixed american J1772 is utter madness because you'll have to swap it when you get a car which uses the proper european Type 2 mennekes.

Yeah that's a good point, forgot about that !

Hang on a second your argument is that its not inconvenient, to walk back and forth getting your hands dirty and wet every day but getting the plug changed on your evse every couple of years is inconvenient.

Besides the fact that you will probably want to change the evse every few years as the technology improves.

Even if a tethered cable did turn out to be less reliable (highly unlikely) getting it fixed occasionally would still be more convenient than getting dirty wet hands daily.

I understand this is down to personal preference but even so the arguments presented against tethered are weak at best.

I understand this is down to personal preference but even so the arguments presented against tethered are weak at best.

My family consists of several multi-EV households. A tethered EVSE is an EVSE someone can't use. That's a pretty compelling argument from my perspective.

I understand I'm further down the EV adoption path than most people.... but eventually you are going to encounter the same issues.

My family consists of several multi-EV households. A tethered EVSE is an EVSE someone can't use. That's a pretty compelling argument from my perspective.

I understand I'm further down the EV adoption path than most people.... but eventually you are going to encounter the same issues.

For multiple ev's I would want multiple evse's, its bad enough having to wait at public charge points, I would not want that at home, especially as they are so cheap.
    Not that far off I'm hoping to get the wife into a leaf in the new year.

Are you aware that there are adapters available for different plug types.

For multiple ev's I would want multiple evse's, its bad enough having to wait at public charge points, I would not want that at home, especially as they are so cheap.
    Not that far off I'm hoping to get the wife into a leaf in the new year.

We have multiple EVSEs... at my place in Tipp we have three.

Are you aware that there are adapters available for different plug types.

Yes, but the adapters are not permitted in the standard and are not weatherproof.

• Advertisement

Yes, but the adapters are not permitted in the standard and are not weatherproof.

It sounds like a tethered cable does not suit your very specific needs, more than them being a bad idea in themselves.

I've regularly come up against businesses that have fitted type 1 J1772 tethered chargers, not knowing any better. And until I purchased my illegal, non-weatherproof adapter and had it literally smuggled into the EU with false documentation I could not charge at those locations. That has been a massive problem particularly with hotels.

An EVSE should be an EVSE everyone can use as a matter of principle. And by default that means socketed Type 2.

steelboots wrote: »
    If you were concerned about the direction of the box is pointing could you not just turn it 180deg ? (i.e. upside down).

Now that is really clever - I never though of that - DOH!.
    Had a look at the unit and it doesn't seem to have a up or down - only the stickers set the orientation.
    Once I get the car and have the charging cable to decide the exact location will do that.

Any suggestions on the best (cheapest!) provider of Night rate electricity? Energia seemed to have good rates but one phone call to a shocking sales person was enough to put me off going with them. (couldn't answer any quetions and when I said I was confused with their sales babble hung up on me!)

Fastpud wrote: »
    Now that is really clever - I never though of that - DOH!.
    Had a look at the unit and it doesn't seem to have a up or down - only the stickers set the orientation.
    Once I get the car and have the charging cable to decide the exact location will do that.

Any suggestions on the best (cheapest!) provider of Night rate electricity? Energia seemed to have good rates but one phone call to a shocking sales person was enough to put me off going with them. (couldn't answer any quetions and when I said I was confused with their sales babble hung up on me!)

I kind of looked into that myself, online though and as far as I can see the increased day rate would offset any benefit the night rate would bring for ev charging, but like you said it is very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I respectfully disagree that it is "madness" to simplify the 700-1500 charge operations on my only EV, so tethered it is. The future cost of changing the tethered lead to a different standard, even if I kept the EVSE, is negligible, especially, if you think of the cost of various car options you have considered, ordered, and paid for. :)

A tethered connection is always exposed to the weather if out doors.

put it in a box if your worried, the evse enclosure is equally exposed !!

yes in 3 , 4, 5, 6, 7,8 years time, the connector is about 50 euros and will be dirt cheap then, buy a new cable , shessh

Rafal wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree that it is "madness" to simplify the 700-1500 charge operations on my only EV, so tethered it is. The future cost of changing the tethered lead to a different standard, even if I kept the EVSE, is negligible, especially, if you think of the cost of various car options you have considered, ordered, and paid for. :)

correct the EVSE is a tiny percentage of the purchase price of the car, get the one that suits you today ,

Im planing to do exactly like you and install a dedicated tethered cable, Im not interested in scrambling around on wet windy nights trying to plug in cables at the side of my house. buying a EVSE with a type 2 connector and an equivalent on the cable is throwing , literally throwing away money

I kind of looked into that myself, online though and as far as I can see the increased day rate would offset any benefit the night rate would bring for ev charging, but like you said it is very confusing.

The increase is less then a cent and the night rate is over half!!!!

given your EV will be the highest electricity consumer, night rates is a no brainer

the uplift in the standing charge is minimal

• Advertisement

I've regularly come up against businesses that have fitted type 1 J1772 tethered chargers, not knowing any better. And until I purchased my illegal, non-weatherproof adapter and had it literally smuggled into the EU with false documentation I could not charge at those locations. That has been a massive problem particularly with hotels.

An EVSE should be an EVSE everyone can use as a matter of principle. And by default that means socketed Type 2.

NOPE, my EVSE is mine , f-off

nothing is illegal, EVSEs are not type approved . that merely relates to public charging facility and Alain Menneskes pulled off a fast one,

if its good enough for the yanks its good enough for me.

Ive got my own EVSE virtually built anyway

remember we are talking about domestic dedicated EVSE installations not multi use or public ones

Advertisement