Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejoice - Infosys creates 250 jobs in Dublin....but what about AIB ?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭

AIB are currently getting rid of their permanent IT staff and sending all the work to Infosys, an Indian outsource company. Meanwhile Infosys "create" 250 jobs in Dublin, and big thick Enda is all smiles......what's really happening is that Infosys are getting the AIB work, sending 250 Indians over to Dublin and 250 permanent AIB staff lose their jobs. Well done Enda. Result !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And stamps to Santy cost 70c too.

Curse you Enda!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a reason we don't see Enda very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Any link OP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ally Dick wrote: »
    AIB are currently getting rid of their permanent IT staff and sending all the work to Infosys, an Indian outsource company. Meanwhile Infosys "create" 250 jobs in Dublin, and big thick Enda is all smiles......what's really happening is that Infosys are getting the AIB work, sending 250 Indians over to Dublin and 250 permanent AIB staff lose their jobs. Well done Enda. Result !

Eh... What makes you think its 250 people coming in from India? There's a lot of foreign businesses in the it sector here, but I'd be surprised if they imported their workforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Any link OP?

"The Indian-owned consulting and technology firm Infosys intends to create 250 new jobs over the next three years in Ireland to develop new technologies and support innovation in global financial institutions.
    The expansion will see Infosys create up to 95 roles at its first dedicated product-centric research and development centre outside India, and open a second Irish facility to house up to 155 people who will provide IT services to Infosys clients."

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1207/751811-infosys-jobs/

"
    AIB has said no redundancies will result from its plans to outsource a number of services within its application development and maintenance division.
    The bank this morning briefed staff in the division about plans to outsource a number of services to WIPRO and Infosys.
    “We will now enter into a formal consultation process with employee representatives. There will be no redundancies,” a spokeswoman for the bank said.
    Finance union IBOA said it was disappointed with the bank’s decision to proceed with the outsourcing of work."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/aib-says-no-redundancies-will-result-from-outsourcing-plan-1.2271046

If they do plan to shaft their IT dept, they haven't done it as of yet. Having witnessed outsourcing in action I can safely say its not nessecarily efficient or cost effective. It has occurred to me that it might often occur as much to make somebody like an "ideas guy" or "innovator" as be an actually constructive exercise, but I am rather a cynical fecker.

• Advertisement

Eh... What makes you think its 250 people coming in from India? There's a lot of foreign businesses in the it sector here, but I'd be surprised if they imported their workforce.

....certainly not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ya it's called outsourcing but do you really think they are bringing over 250 Indians to Dublin to do the work? Do you think every foreign company in Ireland only hires people from their home company or something? It's a good thing that the jobs weren't lost to India but are staying in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

RTE will report on the good news but nobody in the media will ever try and establish WHO got the jobs. I think it's a sneaky exercise to get Indians in on the sly to leech even more Irish jobs

So is this true or bullsh!t? I assume the latter.

We'll see. There's definitely something sneaky going on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bull**** id say, contravenes TUPE regulations for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Are the AIB crew on contracts?
    Hard to just get rid of them if not.

We'll see. There's definitely something sneaky going on

Why are you stating something that has not happened, nor has been reported will happen, as fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cowboys

Stheno wrote: »
    Bull**** id say, contravenes TUPE regulations for a start

True. AIB will offer voluntary redundancy or transitioning to Wipro under TUPE which only offers 2 years protection, but whatever way you cut it, the jobs are screwed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

True. AIB will offer voluntary redundancy or transitioning to Wipro under TUPE which only offers 2 years protection, but whatever way you cut it, the jobs are screwed

So is it Infosys or Wipro who aib are outsourcing to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sort of strange that this happened pre-privatisation. Sort of rules hampers any acquisition of AIB by another banking group if they're tied into an IT contract.

Stheno wrote: »
    So is it Infosys or Wipro who aib are outsourcing to?

Both

RTE will report on the good news but nobody in the media will ever try and establish WHO got the jobs. I think it's a sneaky exercise to get Indians in on the sly to leech even more Irish jobs

So some crowd have been shipping in Indians en masse before? Who, exactly?

Why are you stating something that has not happened, nor has been reported will happen, as fact?

You might have missed this Ally, any response? Or is this more I'll informed nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Cowboys

Jaysus - they're importing cowboys to take our ranching jobs too now are they?

The sneaky feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Nodin wrote: »
    So some crowd have been shipping in Indians en masse before? Who, exactly?

I think or hope they mean outsourcing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cowboys and Indians, no less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Nice bit of racism there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Valetta wrote: »
    Nice bit of racism there.

What if they're white Indians? Or Red? Is that still racism? Or pragmatism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

So it's cheaper to pay statutory redundancy or voluntary redundancy and pay a different company to provide the same service ( who have to equip train and support all the legal requirements and pay IT staff ) than keep on the in house staff. Exactly how much over the odds were AIB paying for all of this to make economic sense?

Fleawuss wrote: »
    So it's cheaper to pay statutory redundancy or voluntary redundancy and pay a different company to provide the same service ( who have to equip train and support all the legal requirements and pay IT staff ) than keep on the in house staff. Exactly how much over the odds were AIB paying for all of this to make economic sense?
    Did you even read the link that said ain have said there will be no redundancies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Great. What the world really needs is another Indian call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What's wrong with 250 Indian people coming to Ireland ? Irish people like popping up like Herpes all over the world, the least you could do is welcome people to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Ya it's called outsourcing but do you really think they are bringing over 250 Indians to Dublin to do the work? Do you think every foreign company in Ireland only hires people from their home company or something? It's a good thing that the jobs weren't lost to India but are staying in Ireland.

Of course they're not "bringing" 250 Indians over from the Sub-Continent. The DBA, Unix/Linux/Cloud/Admin, Content, Administration, Development and Coding work will be done by Indians IN India.

I've seen WIPRO, Infosys and Tech-Mahindra operate before. They're boiler-rooms for tech slave labour.

Advertisement