Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Dublin Bus phenomenon: dropping passengers at peak time outside stops...

Options
  • 07-12-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Seeing that my previous thread on Dublin Bus was quite contentious, here's another interesting phenomenon I observed on Friday.

Friday 5pm
    Leeson Street Bridge Stop 2872

Peak time, lots of buses already full when arriving at this stop. I can understand there not being capacity to pick up extra passenger.

However, there was a particularly bad shortage of 145s at that time, I had to wait for 3 to pass and the 4th one eventually picked up passengers.

But what was really interesting was of the 3 that passed without picking up passenger, two of them actually STOPPED well before the Bus Stop, to let passengers out. One let 3 passengers out, the other let 2. However, they still refused to stop to pick 3 passengers at the actual stop even thou they clearly would have had room for 5. That's 5 people going home earlier, 5 people getting less wet, denied by kindly Dublin Bus driver. Completely unnecessary?

Any views or similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sometimes the kindly Dublin Bus driver will have taken on more passengers than s/he should have. S/He is not going to know when someone presses the bell how many will be getting off the bus, how many times have you been at a bus stop and the bus driver allows 2 off and 2 on and someone skips you to get on thus letting the bus driver open for abuse.
    Your post is proof of the damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    If you have an annual/monthly pass you're often better off hopping on a 7b/d in town and then switching to a 145 in Stillorgan, there seems to be significant issues with 145 capacity at peak evening rush hour - perhaps they should start 1 or 2 145s on Kildare Street - but then we'd have people complaining about As Seirbhis buses going past in the rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, been on buses where it's been dangerously overcrowded and people getting off shouldn't be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Never experienced it!

It's always been the bus stops at the stop the driver says to those trying to get on to hang on. Then whoever gets off that amount gets back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yep, been on buses where it's been dangerously overcrowded and people getting off shouldn't be replaced.

Agree, I was on a 39a 2 weeks ago on one of the new buses where there were 30 standing downstairs and 2 on the stairs and a buggy. In that case the driver was still letting people on after people got off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Sometimes the kindly Dublin Bus driver will have taken on more passengers than s/he should have. S/He is not going to know when someone presses the bell how many will be getting off the bus, how many times have you been at a bus stop and the bus driver allows 2 off and 2 on and someone skips you to get on thus letting the bus driver open for abuse.
    Your post is proof of the damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What?!
    What an Irish solution to a simple problem!

So you think it's ok for them to illegally (is it illegal actually?!) open the doors completely outside the bus stop (all this while the bus stop is empty), in order to avoid having to tell 2-3 passengers that "the bus is full, sorry?". Also, you think it's ok to leave 5 people in the cold so that the driver doesn't have to go through the inconvenience of slightly confronting people? Do they not get basic training in this sort of stuff, i.e. how to be firm/assertive but polite/courteous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    What?!

So you think it's ok for them to illegally (is it illegal actually?!) open the doors completely outside the bus stop (all this while the bus stop is empty), in order to avoid having to tell 2-3 passengers that "the bus is full, sorry?". Also, you think it's ok to leave 5 people in the cold so that the driver doesn't have to go through the inconvenience of slightly confronting people? Do they not get basic training in this sort of stuff, i.e. how to be firm/assertive but polite/courteous?

Maybe the driver didn't want to stop at the stop in case people started taking pictures of him and the bus, then waste his own time going to see his manager over the accusations made against him?nobody knows what the capacity of each bus is, there is a guide on each bus but that can change from bus to bus even if it's the same type of bus.

Kyleboy wrote: »
    Maybe the driver didn't want to stop at the stop in case people started taking pictures of him and the bus, then waste his own time going to see his manager over the accusations made against him?nobody knows what the capacity of each bus is, there is a guide on each bus but that can change from bus to bus even if it's the same type of bus.

I guess you must be one of those drivers?!

What you say here defies logic in so many ways.

1. The driver doesn't know what the capacity of the bus he is driving is?!
    2. In order to not have "his picture taken"(!!!!!!) the driver illegally stops outside bus stops?
    3. In order to avoid the picture taker "waste his own time going to see his manager" the driver leaves 5 people standing in the cold for an extra 20 minutes?

Wow. Just wow. That attitude sums up what's wrong with Dublin Bus....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The baffling leaps of logic being taken from post to post here are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What?!

I wasn't saying I agreed with it but I can understand how it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,371 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the driver has someone messing with coins at his cash machine, he can easily lose count of the number of people boarding, especially now that most regular commuters have tickets so as has already been pointed pointed out, the bus may end up being overloaded and the solution as I have seen many times is to let people off before or after the next stop so as to bring the passenger headcount back to the authorised limit. Some of the people who board will go upstairs and only drift slowly down to the lower deck when they find upstairs full so the driver may not realise he's overloaded until after he has pulled away from the stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

There is one set of eyes watching out for nearly a hundred people at a time, each with a different set of requirements.

Get off your high horse.

I guess you must be one of those drivers?!

What you say here defies logic in so many ways.

1. The driver doesn't know what the capacity of the bus he is driving is?!
    2. In order to not have "his picture taken"(!!!!!!) the driver illegally stops outside bus stops?
    3. In order to avoid the picture taker "waste his own time going to see his manager" the driver leaves 5 people standing in the cold for an extra 20 minutes?

No mate, i would have stopped at the bus stop and let the 3 people off.
    I guess you must be one of those people who get satisfaction out of taking pictures of bus drivers, oh well live and let live i suppose

The baffling leaps of logic being taken from post to post here are hilarious.

Maybe you should get out more

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Drivers aren't allowed to let passengers alight or embark the bus except at designated stops

Unless it suits them, of course

They just dont want the hassle of telling the hordes at the bus stop that's there's only room for a few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

If he had stopped and only allowed a few people on, someone would have opened a topic about a driver stopping at a stop and not allowing him on.

Alternatively someone would have got on the bus and then opened a topic about the the greed of Dublin Bus risking passenger safety by overcowding the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If he had stopped and only allowed a few people on, someone would have opened a topic about a driver stopping at a stop and not allowing him on.

Alternatively someone would have got on the bus and then opened a topic about the the greed of Dublin Bus risking passenger safety by overcowding the bus.

Nah he would have had to deal with customers arguing over who gets on and telling him that dublin are basically useless

And drivers can't be arsed with that.

I guess you must be one of those people who get satisfaction out of taking pictures of bus drivers, oh well live and let live i suppose

What is your obsession with taking pictures? Why are you so freaked out about it and harping on an on about it?! Can we stick to the topic? Why all this personal attacks?

Bambi wrote: »
    They just dont want the hassle of telling the hordes at the bus stop that's there's only room for a few of them

But why not? I would perfectly understand and respect it! It's better if a few get on the bus than none. I think most people would completely understand that and would expect that occasionally at the rush hour, rather than being treating with contempt and avoided!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Maybe you should get out more

Focus on the posts and not the posters.

What is your obsession with taking pictures? Why are you so freaked out about it and harping on an on about it?! Can we stick to the topic? Why the personal attack?

Very sorry about the personal attack, you work away and say what you like,i am not freaked out by it at all, i always smile for the camera, i just think it's sad that someone would go to such great lengths to get somebody into trouble.

• Advertisement

i just think it's sad that someone would go to such great lengths to get somebody into trouble.

As in reporting something to Dublin Bus? So you say one shouldn't make a complaint, or if they do, should not include enough information in order to make the complaint specific and meaningful so that Dublin Bus can actually do something about it and fix the issue? If someone gets into trouble for breaking the rules of their own company and putting passengers in discomfort unnecessarily then they only have themselves to blame.

As in reporting something to Dublin Bus? So you say one shouldn't make a complaint, or if they do, should not include enough information in order to make the complaint specific and meaningful so that Dublin Bus can actually do something about it and fix the issue? If someone gets into trouble for breaking the rules of their own company and putting passengers in discomfort unnecessarily then they only have themselves to blame.

I have no problem with people making complaints about me or any other drivers but is it really necessary to take a picture of him, just take the registration of the bus.

I have no problem with people making complaints about me or any other drivers but is it really necessary to take a picture of him, just take the registration of the bus.

I don't think I mentioned anything about taking a picture on this thread. If you are referring to the other recent thread (on a different topic) then why not discuss it there if necessary. You've done a good job of diverting this thread off topic so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

doubtful, it's very easy to see a bus is at or near capacity and accept you may not get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Don't take the bus much but there always seems to be a die-hard bunch (with earphones) that stand downstairs and refuse to even look up stairs for a seat on every peak hour bus.

You all know them.. The ones that you meet when you get to your stop and you wait behind them thinking they are queuing to get off but aren't..

If the downstairs is full with standing passengers that refuse to move?? I would not take on anymore Passengers.

(not a bus driver but 5 members of my family are).

What is your obsession with taking pictures? Why are you so freaked out about it and harping on an on about it?! Can we stick to the topic? Why all this personal attacks?

I don't have a obsession with taking pictures, are you getting me confused with someone else?

I don't have a obsession with taking pictures, are you getting me confused with someone else?

Oh right. Must be another Kyleboy then:
    taking pictures of him and the bus
    ...get satisfaction out of taking pictures of bus drivers...
    ...is it really necessary to take a picture of him...

Now can we get back on topic?

dubscottie wrote: »
    Don't take the bus much but there always seems to be a die-hard bunch (with earphones) that stand downstairs and refuse to even look up stairs for a seat on every peak hour bus.

You all know them.. The ones that you meet when you get to your stop and you wait behind them thinking they are queuing to get off but aren't..

If the downstairs is full with standing passengers that refuse to move?? I would not take on anymore Passengers.

(not a bus driver but 5 members of my family are).

Yes very good point and might well be the case in those situations.

However I think a bit of training in how to communicate to passengers courteously but firmly won't do any harm. You see it in other cities (London being a good example). There's a reason why they have a PA on the bus. Maybe in those situation the driver could make a simple announcement like this: "Could some of those passengers standing downstairs please move to upstairs as there is there are a few free seats available there. This will help your fellow passengers in getting onto the bus and getting to their destination the next few bus stops. Thank you."

I think doing nothing and just driving on and ignoring and leaving people in the cold is a bit of a jobsworth approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes very good point and might well be the case in those situations.

However I think a bit of training in how to communicate to passengers courteously but firmly won't do any harm. You see it in other cities (London being a good example). There's a reason why they have a PA on the bus. Maybe in those situation the driver could make a simple announcement like this: "Could some of those passengers standing downstairs please move to upstairs as there is there are a few free seats available there. This will help your fellow passengers in getting onto the bus and getting to their destination the next few bus stops. Thank you."

I think doing nothing and just driving on and ignoring and leaving people in the cold is a bit of a jobsworth approach.

Plenty of drivers do precisely that but people will still ignore them.

• Advertisement

Oh right. Must be another Kyleboy then:

Now can we get back on topic?

Must be, i have never took a picture of anyone doing there job?

Advertisement