Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan to make a REX in 2016

Options
  • 06-12-2015 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Nissan will reveal its first pre-production range-extended electric vehicle next year.

Nissan REX

Comments

Shocking !

The VRT will make the car cost a lot more here too !

We need a lot more EV models to convince people to change, currently the only real sensible option in a decent sized car is the Leaf. This isn't enough.

Nissan really need to expand their range, I bet if they had a real 300 Km range Xtrail or Quashqai they would get more people into EV.

We can forget VW, they won't have money for years to come and they will loose out big time over the next few years while they pay for the Diesel gate cock up which would have gone a hell of a long way towards making decent electrics, unbelievable muppets and just goes to show their content for Electrics.

I would like more range in the Leaf, sure but it's good for 98% of my driving which the limit is really the PCP. But there are times I would like more range and in 2 years when my lease is up and if the 60 kwh leaf isn't much more expensive then I'll be changing to that depending on if something else comes out at a decent price.

200-240 miles is plenty for me and if it really is capable of charging at around 100 kw then you'll get over twice the range for the same time on the fast charger, yes over twice. So I would never need more than that really.

say 200 miles and 160 in 30 mins, 360 miles with a 30 min top up ? excellent ! question is if the ESB will be quick to upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

VWs exposure in Europe is now limited to a voluntary recall , and the fitment of a €10 Euro wire grill !

I predict we will see more BEV ( and variants ) activity from all the majors over the next 5 years.

VW have already stated they are accerelating their EV plans.

I predict in the next 10 years we will see every major auto maker selling more then one model of EV. Tesla will be either , gone , about to fail or have been bought up by an established auto maker. Musk will in space ( cadet ) by then !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

An affordable plug-in hybrid for the Irish market would be very welcome and would add many people who might be sitting on the fence about EV's

Introduce a car the size of the leaf, with a 40 to 50 km battery range, REX and the price of a leaf and I'd buy it in a heart beat.

The whole BS with ESB eCars charging has killed BEV's in my mind for at least the next 5 years.

bk wrote: »
    An affordable plug-in hybrid for the Irish market would be very welcome and would add many people who might be sitting on the fence about EV's

Introduce a car the size of the leaf, with a 40 to 50 km battery range, REX and the price of a leaf and I'd buy it in a heart beat.

The whole BS with ESB eCars charging has killed BEV's in my mind for at least the next 5 years.

why would anyone want just a 40-50 km range , what you are describing is a Prius

the future is Battery not more ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The whole BS with ESB ecars is on hold until the CER approve it. Not a hope that the charges will come in on the levels suggested.

And the 60kwh Leaf will be out in about 3 years too which will make the issue of public charging costs barely relevant.

• Advertisement

Should see the optional 60 kwh leaf in 2 years, I doubt it will cost less than 35 K, I'd be very surprised if it does. There will probably be a 40 Kwh option too.

I can see plug ins being useful for the single car household, but they won't make them with decent battery range, not at a decent cost, the 340 Km range 60 Kwh Leaf would be a seriously good alternative to a plug in in 2 years, then I can't see the need for many ICe cars. We just need more longer range battery cars, the tesla will be too expensive, at German territory I doubt anyone will change from a Premium badge diesel for a Tesla as much as I love them they don't have the premium image of German cars. Anyone buying a car for 40 odd K won't care about the running costs really , or maybe they do a bit if they buy Diesels.

2-3 years will be an interesting time for electrics but Nissan really need to electrify their entire fleet by 2020, they did say they will have more EV models by then.

DrPhilG wrote: »

And the 60kwh Leaf will be out in about 3 years too which will make the issue of public charging costs barely relevant.

Exactly !

BoatMad wrote: »
    why would anyone want just a 40-50 km range , what you are describing is a Prius

Prius hasn't got more than about 12 Km EV range for the plug in.

The future is without doubt battery but the E.U are still hell bent on supporting Diesels even after the Climate Gate scandal and the WHO report on diesel exhaust. Shocking really. Even our own Government aren;t going to do anything about ridding our streets of diesel.

Killed of what, 0.4 % of the market ? highly doubtful.

EV sales might grow a bit in 2016, each year has seen a small increase in sales, I expect that to continue until there is a radical change in E.U policy/ regulation on Diesel and emissions and not before then.

There will still be the EV enthusiasts who will buy EV in the same numbers we've seen and those who want an EV and most of these people will have researched them and will know whether it suits them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

EV sales might grow a bit in 2016.

Indications so far are that Q1 2016 will see double the sales of Q1 2015.

We're coming from a very low base here.

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »
    Indications so far are that Q1 2016 will see double the sales of Q1 2015.

We're coming from a very low base here.

Nice to see but yeah, very low base indeed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the 40 to 50km would do most people for their daily commute and thus perfect for keeping ugly, noisy, dirty diesels out of our city centers. While the REX eliminates any worries about range for those longer weekend trips.

Such a car perfectly matches my needs. I have a zero daily commute, as I walk to work, but I would drive medium to long distances at weekends, Cork, Wicklow, etc.

The current leaf simply can't do that.

The Prius sold in Ireland aren't plug in and only have about 2km range in pure EV mode. The plug in Prius only had 12km range on pure EV.

Leaving aside the Tesla S, which while a beautiful car is WAY outside my price range, the Volt looks like the prefect car for my needs, roughly the same price as the Leaf, while bigger then the leaf, with 50km range and zero range anxiety.

The Golf GTE is the only plugin hybrid I know of in Ireland, but it is a good €12000 more then I'd consider reasonable.
    The whole BS with ESB ecars is on hold until the CER approve it. Not a hope that the charges will come in on the levels suggested.

It is rumoured to be on hold. And even then, we don't know what they will decide. Maybe they will decide what the ESB was proposing is perfectly fine, maybe then will charge even more, no one knows!

And such uncertainty is a killer, when you are talking about something like a car, which is such an expensive purchase and most people expect to last MANY years.

And yet more rumours! Honestly who knows? Maybe they will, maybe they won't, maybe it will cost €35,000 and thus well outside my price range.

I find it interesting that Nissan is now talking about REX cars. Nissan who hs sold more BEV's then any other company and who has invested more in BEV's then any other company are now changing their tune!

It seems to me that Nissan have been relatively disappointed in the sales numbers of their Leaf, which has come nowhere near what they originally estimated. Perhaps they now realise that the majority of normal people have serious range anxiety and anything short of 300km+ battery with max 30 minute charging for a reasonable price, makes EV's a no go for joe soap.

I suspect that Nissan should know better then anyone what cars, with what batteries and what range they can do in the next 2 to 5 years is and I suspect they know they can't reach numbers that will be good enough for the majority of the general public in the next 5 years, so they are now looking at a more realistic stepping stone of a REX.

BTW it is interesting to note that in the last month, the new Volt has significantly outsold the new 2016 Leaf (bigger battery) and deeply discounted 2015 Leafs (as much as $10,000 off!). This indicates range anxiety is a real thing and that many people think the same way as me about plug-in hybrids.

Honestly I get that some people are hard core EV enthusiasts here. But I honestly think some of you have a seriously distorted view of what joe public is actually willing to buy in the real world.

BEV of course should be the long term goal. But it certainly isn't going to happen overnight. Hybrid Yaris, Auris, Prius and plug-in hybrid REX are all good stepping stones towards general acceptance of EV's by the general public.

One or two BEV's aren't going to change much. But various plug-in hybrids from all manufacturers across the range of all their cars will go a very long way with helping to gradually improve public EV acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

@bk, the current Leaf does 100-160km. The Jan Leaf will do 130-200km. I'm not sure what do you mean by 40-50km, please clarify.

The current Leaf will do 110-130 Kms at 100 -110 Kph, 140 kms at 60-90 Kph.

The 30 Kwh should do 140-170 Kms 100-110 Kph and 200 Kms 60-90 Kph. It does charge a bit quicker than the current leaf for more range.

Plug ins are too expensive, even the plug in prius is a lot more expensive than the Leaf. Look at the GTE golf and Passat !

As much as I love electrics, I do realise that when most people are thinking about buying a new car that EV isn't even a thought, very few people want one, the greatest reason being is that EV doesn't interest them.

The Push to Ev will only take place when E.U legislation demands Diesels get far cleaner or are eliminated and people have no choice but to drive electric, but it's not going to happen until then in large numbers.

ESB charges, range all this doesn't matter as long as most people have absolutely no interest in electrics in the first place.

And the 60 Kwh Leaf will be out late 2016 or early 2017. My guess is 35 K and a 40 Kwh maybe 28-30K.

Who knows what will happen in 2-3 years but one thing for sure is the 340 Km range Leaf is coming in 2017.

Who knows what will happen in 2-3 years but one thing for sure is the 340 Km range Leaf is coming in 2017.

when I get 340km at 130kmph in a head wind with the heater on , lights on, going up a motorway hill, then Im a " believe....er"

when I get 340km at 130kmph in a head wind with the heater on , lights on, going up a motorway hill, then Im a " believe....er"

One minute you love em then you hate them, make up your mind !

One minute you love em then you hate them, make up your mind !

love the concept , hate the implementation or more correctly love the electric motor, hate the battery

love the concept , hate the implementation or more correctly love the electric motor, hate the battery

Suits me fine for the moment until the 60 Kwh arrives. Currently 26,300 Kms or close since January.

What would I want an ICE car for ?

Suits me fine for the moment until the 60 Kwh arrives. Currently 26,300 Kms or close since January.

em, I think " everyone " on boards.ie knows you dont want an ICE....:)

• Advertisement

Rafal wrote: »
    @bk, the current Leaf does 100-160km. The Jan Leaf will do 130-200km. I'm not sure what do you mean by 40-50km, please clarify.

Yes, I know the Leaf has that range, I was talking about the Volt or a possible Nissan REX having 40 to 50km battery range, plus almost unlimited petrol range via REX being the ideal car for me and many other people.
    Plug ins are too expensive, even the plug in prius is a lot more expensive than the Leaf. Look at the GTE golf and Passat !

They are here in Ireland, but in the US, the Volt costs the same as the SV leaf costs in the US, while being a bigger car! Thus why the new 2016 Voly is seemingly flying out of the dealers, with them being sold before they even arrive.

The BMW i3 is so expensive for what it is simply because of the BMW badge. The Golf GTE and Passat are similarly expensive because of the VW german brand and because GT's are supposed to be their top tier sports performance models.

That is why I'm hoping for a REX from Nissan on a leaf type body, that would hopefully be a much more reasonable proposition and I don't see why it should be much more expensive then a leaf.

Sure it will need to add a REX engine and petrol tank, but it will be able to cut the battery pack down to just a 8KWh and no need for fast charging. So some cost savings there to balance out the extra cost of a small REX engine.

Here, here. I love the concept of EVs and I love how easy they are to drive. But the battery, range and charging infrastructure still sucks.

em, I think " everyone " on boards.ie knows you dont want an ICE....:)

I've no need for an ICE for 135 Kms trip.

I do appreciate where the Plug in would come in handy for single car house holds at this point in time but they are expensive and a 60 kwh Leaf would most likely cost the same or less.

We have the diesel for the much longer trips that I couldn't be arsed driving in the Leaf.

I've no need for an ICE for 135 Kms trip.

I do appreciate where the Plug in would come in handy for single car house holds at this point in time but they are expensive and a 60 kwh Leaf would most likely cost the same or less.

We have the diesel for the much longer trips that I couldn't be arsed driving in the Leaf.

sure, its exactly why Im buying a leaf, its suit a specific purpose, because BEVs are simply not general purpose cars at this point in time, and its for SWMBO, I'm sticking with the monster pickup truck ( just about to fit big extra driving lights , clunky tyres etc )

And that is the problem, if the only way you can really use a BEV is by owning a second diesel car for long trips, then they will completely fail to take off with the general public. Which I'm sure is something all of us EV fans want to see happen.

The problem with all EV's at the moment, both BEV's and PHEV's is that any with a sufficient range are just too expensive. Leaf is a little expensive, but ok priced, but it doesn't have the range. Tesla has great range for a BEV, but WAY too expensive at €100,000 for joe public to buy. The Golf GTE looks to be a great car, with great range, but at least €12,000 too expensive for what it is.

What we need is vehicles with 300km range (real world) for about €25,000 (max €30,000) in order for EV's to take off with the general public. Frankly I don't really care if such a vehicle is a BEV or a PHEV with 50km battery range, just as long as we get their as soon as possible.

What we need is vehicles with 300km range (real world) for about €25,000 (max €30,000) in order for EV's to take off with the general public. Frankly I don't really care if such a vehicle is a BEV or a PHEV with 50km battery range, just as long as we get their as soon as possible.

we all know what we want, whether we'll get them , well.......

They are here in Ireland, but in the US, the Volt costs the same as the SV leaf costs in the US, while being a bigger car! Thus why the new 2016 Voly is seemingly flying out of the dealers, with them being sold before they even arrive.

Unfortunately we have to pay tax and import duty in Ireland. GM can discount the Volt int he U.S as much as they want also.
    The BMW i3 is so expensive for what it is simply because of the BMW badge. The Golf GTE and Passat are similarly expensive because of the VW german brand and because GT's are supposed to be their top tier sports performance models.

That's always the case with premium badges.
    That is why I'm hoping for a REX from Nissan on a leaf type body, that would hopefully be a much more reasonable proposition and I don't see why it should be much more expensive then a leaf.

V.R.T will make it expensive. And the added cost of a battery + engine. Doubt it would be financially viable but I guess we'll see.
    Sure it will need to add a REX engine and petrol tank, but it will be able to cut the battery pack down to just a 12KWh and no need for fast charging. So some cost savings there to balance out the extra cost of a small REX engine.

On the contrary, those with plug ins and small batteries find themselves wishing they had more Ev range and are always looking to plug in once they realise they probably should have gone for the full battery car. These plug in owners wish they had fast charging capability, but if they did they would be unnecessarily be taking up valuable charging infrastructure for those full battery cars that actually depend on it.

You say better to have the engine for the couple of trips a year the ev won't make it, I say you can also use the much longer range EV and the fast chargers for the times you need to do the longer trip.

The 60 Kwh leaf would require very few fast charges with 300-340 kms range.
    But the battery, range and charging infrastructure still sucks.

The infrastructure in Ireland does not suck, it's quiet a good Network, I used it daily for commuting for 9 months and only came across one issue with the QC at newlands Cross, my greatest issue was with people at Naas taking the piss with people abusing the free service !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Said without a single bit of irony.

He is a master of the compartmentalised brain in operation :D

I don't want one.

• Advertisement

I don't want an ICE car.

Advertisement