Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Whatever should we do with lawless cyclists?"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What pisses me off is the ones that think they're a pedestrian when it suits them. No, you have to stop at the red light alongside the cars.

So the cyclists should stop alongside these cars, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

What is nonsense, is this thread. Should be in After Hours with the children.

On my walk here, I passed 6 cars driving through the bus gate at College Green and 20 cars and vans driving up the cycle lane on Stephen's Green South. Obviously something must be done for these people too.

Your user name is well chosen, though I might change Road to something else.

for the love of god where are the Gards??? The fact that i have been expressing myself about cyclists does not in any way mean that i condone motorists being idiots.

Cycling lanes in ireland are a lame attempt in comparison to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Roadhawk wrote: »
    I agree with the points you have made around the actions of motorists but again many (not all) cyclists can be tared with the same brush.

I have no intention of removing cyclists from the road completely only the ones that are continuous law breakers. They are pests to other road users.

(My opinion)
    One day our generation will be gone and the roads will have evolved. The same way horses were phased out as a main mode of transport so to will cycling.

Isn't it more likely that cycling will remain for the recreational and health benefits and driver controlled cars will disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Pretty clueless OP. On my mile and a half walk to work this morning I witnessed speeding, red light breaking, amber gambling, footpath parking, inoperative lights, one guy clearly watching YouTube on his phone while moving, rampant mobile phone use, lack of indication, and general lack of courtesy all from motorised traffic. You too see all of this every day no doubt but simply choose to ignore it in line with your anti cyclist bias.
    I ask you, if the cops aren't bothered to enforce any of this l, and they're not, why on earth do you think they'd take any interest at all in errant cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

(My opinion)
    One day our generation will be gone and the roads will have evolved. The same way horses were phased out as a main mode of transport so to will cycling.

These evolving roads will devour us all!!!

I think you are neglecting some important information, namely that horses are expensive to buy, difficult to take care of and eventually die.

in terms of efficient modes of human transport, you can't beat the bike. Plus you get healthier doing it. There are numerous studies on the benefit of cycling to society as a whole...probably not as many on horses.

I really think you need to give someone control of your internet. Or perhaps consider a username change...you were so close to getting it right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

(My opinion)
    I would put it to you that cycling will continue long after cars are obsolete, in cities at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If a cyclist gets off his/her bike and walks with it, then they ARE a pedestrian. Trouble is, some don't get off their bikes and it annoys people. Some people in cars/vans/lorries etc don't give cyclists enough room, and that's beyond annoying, it's dangerous.
    Some pedestrians would rather look at their phones instead of where they are walking..
    There are idiots on/in every mode of transport and if more people were more considerate to other road/path users, things would be less stressful for everyone

Indeed, there are idiots in every mode of transport. But the idiots in cars and trucks kill 200 people each year and maim thousands of others. The idiots on bikes don't.

Well what has been done for motorists is testing, licensing, fines, penalty points, bans and legislation. Wouldn't it be great if cyclists were counted as a an equal road user at all times and not just when it suits them.

Equality is great all right - but all enforcement activity by Gardai or other enforcement bodies is risk-based. So it is most likely that they will focus on the areas of highest risk - the motorists who speed, use the phone, drive with broken lights, break one-way systems as a priority - given the 200 people each year killed by motorists.

But just for curiosity - do you ever break the speed limit when you drive?
    I wouldn't usually be bothered, but that is not a correct understanding. What tests and licences and registrations create is ACCOUNTABILITY

There is no accountability without enforcement, and enforcement is lax. Look at any junction in Dublin and you'll see 1 or 2 or 3 motorists breaking the red lights on each change of lights. Where's the accountability there?

Absolutely not. But the typical laws that were being broken be these motorists have reduced since these measures were implemented. Likewise the laws being implemented for cyclists should follow the same success.

Is this now an academic exercise for you? Are you trying to reduce numbers of incidents, or are you trying to save lives? BTW, what percentage of motorists do you think break speed limits on each journey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

They should start working on running these things adjacent to all roads. Problem solved :pac:

glass-tunnel-554728.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

As a pedestrian, nothing gets up my pïsshole more than a cyclist on the footpath. Usually it's an old codger or some trackie wearing gom but they seem to be under the impression that they own the place.

Cyclists on the road, well I've never had a quarrel with so can't really say to much on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

coolbeans wrote: »
    Pretty clueless OP. On my mile and a half walk to work this morning I witnessed speeding, red light breaking, amber gambling, footpath parking, inoperative lights, one guy clearly watching YouTube on his phone while moving?

But... did you gey my reg!!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I think cyclists should be allowed on pathways for safety. The Irish road network is not ready for unlawful cyclists. Most cyclists consider themselves pedestrians anyway.

No they f**king don't and it's ignorant opinions like your own that help drive the anti-cyclist vitriol which can lead to them not being considered legitimate road users and put them in danger from equally ignorant morons

RainyDay wrote: »
    So the cyclists should stop alongside these cars, like?

Considering the distance from where the car enters the junction to the pedestrian crossing, there is not enough time for the vehicles to pass the pedestrian crossing before the lights go green. ok there are about 3-4 cars that clearly enter the junction when the light is amber(going on red) but there are also vehicles entering with a green light and still not getting through the junction. Looks like the council need to increase the timing from when the traffic light turns red to the green light on the pedestrian crossing.
    The camera mans is also mainly going be the traffic light to cross and not the pedestrian crossing light.

Looks like a death trap either way. Is this junction still this bad?

But... did you gey my reg!!? :D

I did but didn't bother reporting you. The cops would just bin it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

the cyclist was on the roads before the car came along... personally, I think the roads would be safer without cars on them.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Indeed, there are idiots in every mode of transport. But the idiots in cars and trucks kill 200 people each year and maim thousands of others. The idiots on bikes don't.

This is like saying that motorbikes riders don't kill truck drivers in an accident so they are not a threat?

As a pedestrian, nothing gets up my pïsshole more than a cyclist on the footpath. Usually it's an old codger or some trackie wearing gom but they seem to be under the impression that they own the place.

Cyclists on the road, well I've never had a quarrel with so can't really say to much on the issue.

Its the same on the roads as it is on the paths. Many are rogue but not all

Considering the distance from where the car enters the junction to the pedestrian crossing, there is not enough time for the vehicles to pass the pedestrian crossing before the lights go green. ok there are about 3-4 cars that clearly enter the junction when the light is amber(going on red) but there are also vehicles entering with a green light and still not getting through the junction. Looks like the council need to increase the timing from when the traffic light turns red to the green light on the pedestrian crossing.
    The camera mans is also mainly going be the traffic light to cross and not the pedestrian crossing light.

You're just making excuses for bad driving now and minimising its seriousness. There is no excuse for anything that went on in that video. None! Blatant red light breaking at a pedestrian crossing yet you just minimise this with some waffle while referring to cyclists earlier on as pests.
    You really need to check your prejudice man. Unbelievable crap coming out of you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Entering on a green light and not getting through the junction means the motorists (ahem) are not using the yellow box correctly. There's no legal reason to get stuck in the box or to go through that junction on red. I used to both drive it and cycle it regularly and never got stuck or ran the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,083 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The problem is in Ireland nobody can be criticised without first going on the offensive about something else.

A cyclist complains about a motorists behaviour. The response is "but cyclists do (insert complaint) too, and that's not all...".

Fact is, there are muppet cyclists and muppet motorists. Places cyclists shouldn't cycle due to lack of space for pedestrians. Lack of space given on the road by cyclists. These are issues that should be dealt with. Instead you get into the circle of blame explained above and very little is achieved.

coolbeans wrote: »
    You're just making excuses for bad driving now and minimising its seriousness. There is no excuse for anything that went on in that video. None! Blatant red light breaking at a pedestrian crossing yet you just minimise this with some waffle while referring to cyclists earlier on as pests.
    You really need to check your prejudice man. Unbelievable crap coming out of you today.

Well technically when a vehicle enters a junction (legally of course) they are supposed to continue through the junction and not be an obstruction. Now if the pedestrian light on the other side of the junction is turn green before the vehicle can clear would this not indicate a timing issue?

Just to note there are some very same looking cyclists in this video also breaking the law. Looks like a bit of a free for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

(My opinion)

I doubt it. Using a private car in Dublin is unsustainable, and no signs of it improving for those who insist on driving a 20% full vehicle door to door.

Current trends would suggest if anything that cycling will eventually replace the private car.

Liam O wrote: »
    The problem is in Ireland nobody can be criticised without first going on the offensive about something else.

A cyclist complains about a motorists behaviour. The response is "but cyclists do (insert complaint) too, and that's not all...".

Fact is, there are muppet cyclists and muppet motorists. Places cyclists shouldn't cycle due to lack of space for pedestrians. Lack of space given on the road by cyclists. These are issues that should be dealt with. Instead you get into the circle of blame explained above and very little is achieved.

The difference is that cyclists receive no training for using roads in comparison to motorists. Basically anyone can jump on a bike and shoot off down the road for a cycle without any understanding of the rules of the road or safety. The only measures that cyclists will soon be aware of are the laws that are governed by fines. That is not enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I had a suggestion in my last thread to start this post and i thought it was a great idea.

With the increase of cyclists on Irish roads and the noticeable unlawfulness that is coming with it, what should we do?

Fines are now being issued as a result of laws being broken. The Irish Times have a very interesting article that includes a poll on whether you agree that cyclists should be fined or not.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-face-on-the-spot-fines-for-seven-road-traffic-offences-1.2270816

Banned for a week for trolling.

If you even give off a hint of trolling after this you will get a ban for good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement