Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Renault Talisman

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New Megane Grand Coupe:

the-megane-family-is-extended-with-the-arrival-of-all-new-megane-grand-coupe-embargo-09h00-uk-120716-3.jpg?itok=UilLxs9M

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Grand coupe!

That's a liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Had a good look over a Talisman earlier today. Lovely car. It was a mistake not to bring it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It was a mistake not to bring it here.

It is not only Irish market the Talisman is not brought to. UK does not get it as well. It's a pitty, but not a mistake...

D-Class saloons are not typically chosen by families - those used to go for an MPV or recently SUV, but rather fleet drivers. Talisman needs to compete with behemoths such as Mondeo and Passat. And this is a tough competition, especially when thinking about that target.

With the projected sales, mainly based on the sales of Laguna III (which was pulled from the market few years before it got replaced) Renault did make a conclusion that the R&D costs of RHD Talisman are not worth it and decided not to make a RHD at all.

I also don't think that Fluence is cannibalizing it. Fluence, despite being a different car, worked as a Megane Saloon in Renault lineup. Laguna III was bigger car (276cm of wheelbase) and Talisman is even bigger (it is in fact bigger than Superb B5).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

I'd consider buying one as a family car. Looked at a few of them and was impressed. But dont think the numbers would work to be bothered making RHD.

Pity.

• Advertisement

Aside from anything else, it would confuse the brand image too. It's getting to be a young funky brand in Ireland again with the crossovers and good small car range.
    Not that Ireland is anything but a blip on their map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Renault can't expect to enhance their rep in this segment if they don't launch the bloody car!!!

The last gen Megane and Fluence did wonders for their reputation after their electrical snafus during the late 90's/early 2000's. The current Captur, Clio and by all accounts the Kadjar are further solidifying that status.

I don't but the market issue either. Between the UK and India, that's a plenty big market...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Theyre pretty popular over here, quite nice looking imo and the interior is nice as well. But it was definitely never gonna be a good car for the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

GavMan wrote: »
    Renault can't expect to enhance their rep in this segment if they don't launch the bloody car!!!

The last gen Megane and Fluence did wonders for their reputation after their electrical snafus during the late 90's/early 2000's. The current Captur, Clio and by all accounts the Kadjar are further solidifying that status.

I don't but the market issue either. Between the UK and India, that's a plenty big market...

I'd say its more UK than Ireland being the problem. If the UK ain't getting it then its probably highly unlikely we'll get it either. I'd say it would sell like hot cakes in Ireland. Excellent looking car. Admittedly Paddy has gone SUV crazy and the traditional middle ground saloon (and especially estate) are the ones to suffer. Still think there's room in our market to accommodate it all the same. Shame the UK don't want anything except premiem badged bigger saloons.

The saloon market is shrinking in Ireland, looking at the likes of the mondeo and Avensis, they're not selling too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

FYI the Talisman is the replacement for the Latitude, which was also not sold in UK and Ireland. Was made in RHD for Australia strangely enough though.
    Basically a Laguna III with upmarket aspirations.

800px-Renault_Latitude_Initiale_dCi_175_FAP_Automatik_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht%2C_25._Februar_2012%2C_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/114888/renault-latitude-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

franer1970 wrote: »
    FYI the Talisman is the replacement for the Latitude, which was also not sold in UK and Ireland. Was made in RHD for Australia strangely enough though.

800px-Renault_Latitude_Initiale_dCi_175_FAP_Automatik_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht%2C_25._Februar_2012%2C_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Very Fluence like

Very Fluence like

Just by chance I happened to be parked behind one yesterday. Nothing like a Fluence at all. More like one of those North American big Nissans (altima or something) but with Renault badges. Big car.

Very Fluence like

Because it's a Renault and it is a saloon?!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The saloon market is shrinking in Ireland, looking at the likes of the mondeo and Avensis, they're not selling too many.

I've just noticed - Citroen pulled C5 Saloon and Estates not only from Ireland, but also from UK... Not surprising - they have sold a shocking 18 this year so far in here and ~250 last year in UK...

Talisman would face similar problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

grogi wrote: »
    I've just noticed - Citroen pulled C5 Saloon and Estates not only from Ireland, but also from UK... Not surprising - they have sold a shocking 18 this year so far in here and ~250 last year in UK...

Talisman would face similar problems...

Current model C5 has been around since 2007/08, it was barefaced cheek to keep selling them new at this stage. And outright stupidity on the part of anyone who purchased one new.

Just by chance I happened to be parked behind one yesterday. Nothing like a Fluence at all. More like one of those North American big Nissans (altima or something) but with Renault badges. Big car.

That's because it is a Samsung which was then badhe as a Nissan and Renault for different markets. The Talisman is available in Rhd markets just not always under the Renault badge. Like the Fluence it could be made available here and not in the UK if there was a big enough market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Current model C5 has been around since 2007/08, it was barefaced cheek to keep selling them new at this stage. And outright stupidity on the part of anyone who purchased one new.

They do still sell them here, it's called the Peugeot 508. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It will be available in RHD late this year or early next year, if it doesn't come here, its because they don't expect to sell enough to justify importing it.

https://autoportal.com/newcars/renault/talisman/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

franer1970 wrote: »

Pretty sure the Latitude is a rebadged Samsung. No relationship with the Laguna III AFAIK. That's without resorting to Wikipedia.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Latitude is a rebadged Samsung. No relationship with the Laguna III AFAIK. That's without resorting to Wikipedia.

As pointed out earlier it's a Samsung, SM5 to be exact and no that's not from wiki. There is one driv8ng around Nenagh regularly which is badged a Safrane. They are sold in Mexico and the UAE. You're right though, they've no relation to the laguna. Off hand I can't remember the Nissan they are badged as but I'd hazard a guess and say an Ultima or Maxima which are the same size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

ba_barabus wrote: »
    As pointed out earlier it's a Samsung, SM5 to be exact and no that's not from wiki. There is one driv8ng around Nenagh regularly which is badged a Safrane. They are sold in Mexico and the UAE. You're right though, they've no relation to the laguna. Off hand I can't remember the Nissan they are badged as but I'd hazard a guess and say an Ultima or Maxima which are the same size.

Do you honestly believe that Samsung developed cars on their own.

The SM5 is a Laguna 3 with a new nose.

Do you honestly believe that Samsung developed cars on their own.

The SM5 is a Laguna 3 with a new nose.

There is far more different than a new nose.

Do you honestly believe that Samsung developed cars on their own

Yes. They build ships, submarines, electronics, tanks. Why not cars? They were developing cars before Renault stepped in albeit they never really got off the ground. Not a rebadged Laguna III.

Yes. They build ships, submarines, electronics, tanks. Why not cars? They were developing cars before Renault stepped in albeit they never really got off the ground. Not a rebadged Laguna III.

The Samsung SM5 is based in the Nissan Teana which is based on the Renault Laguna 3

The Samsung SM5 is based in the Nissan Teana which is based on the Renault Laguna 3

Let me Google that for you...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K9_Thunder

http://www.samsungpokies.com/news/samsung-also-on-the-defence-side/

On mobile.

You deleted your last post when you realised that you were wrong about the tanks. ;) sneaky

You deleted your last post when you realised that you were wrong about the tanks. ;) sneaky

Samsung Heavy Industries are a separate company. I deleted my post to avoid you trying to claim they are the same company as Renault Samsung.

The Samsung SM 5 is based on the Nissan Teana which is based on the Renault Laguna 3.

To be fair they platform share. That's where the similarities end. Its utterly unidentifiable as a Laguna relation from its styling and its overall size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement