Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Renault Talisman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Looks great. Any reason why they haven't sold them here? The Laguna has shrunk considerably...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

They're not selling them here as the Laguna mk3 sales were particularly slow (probably understandable after the Laguna mk2). They're not making them in RHD at all AFAIK. It's a shame really as it looks to be a really nice car.

I'd personally love one, but then I've always had a soft spot for Lagunas. I had a mk2 in 2001; I put >80,000 miles on that in three years, and the only thing that broke was an alternator. I think I dodged a bullet there... I have a mk3 2.0 dCi 150 now, but I only got it in September. So far I love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Looks like an ugly cross between a Passat and an Avensis. Would barely sell at all here, so no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Zcott wrote: »
    Looks great. Any reason why they haven't sold them here? The Laguna has shrunk considerably...
    Dero wrote: »
    They're not selling them here as the Laguna mk3 sales were particularly slow (

As above, the poor sales of the Laguna lead Renault not to bother.

I think the big sales of those mini MPVs/SUVs, whatever they're being called these days, aren't helping either, few people seem to want saloons and estates these days, which is a shame, particularly when you consider the **** boot space in the likes of the Qashqai.

Looks like an ugly cross between a Passat and an Avensis. Would barely sell at all here, so no point.

It's nicer than either of those.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Like a facelifted Fluence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TBH id be off the opinion a clean diesel version of this would sell quite readily here in Ireland. The Lagunas were extremely popular here over their lifecycle. The Laguna market was actually diluted by the fluence plus the car started to look tired in terms of design.

I see no real reason why a well priced Talisman would not compete in the market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

listermint wrote: »
    TBH id be off the opinion a clean diesel version of this would sell quite readily here in Ireland. The Lagunas were extremely popular here over their lifecycle. The Laguna market was actually diluted by the fluence plus the car started to look tired in terms of design.

I see no real reason why a well priced Talisman would not compete in the market.

Last generation Lagunas sold terribly. The previous version was a dud and damaged Renaults reputation in that market segment.

Cost of rhd conversion and production would be hefty too.

Renault have bought market share here with heavy discounting for a few years, and that's the only way they'd sell something of that size here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Terrible name for a car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Terrible name for a car imo.

Well it is from the company that thought Fluence was a good idea:)

• Advertisement

Last generation Lagunas sold terribly. The previous version was a dud and damaged Renaults reputation in that market segment.

Cost of rhd conversion and production would be hefty too.

Renault have bought market share here with heavy discounting for a few years, and that's the only way they'd sell something of that size here.

Over their lifecycle as i said.

I think its time to get back in the game tbh. The fluence segregated that market. So the last generation was never going to sell well.

Id get rid of the fluence and roll this puppy out with a name change because its pure awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i think it would sell here no problem, Renault sales are flying at the moment, they need a premium looking vehicle to attract companies to buy them as company cars, cause only Fluence and Laguna aren't that good looking and needs to have the 2.0dci engine. those 1.5dci engines are too slow for the big cars. After last model of Laguna giving problems, they need to end it and start fresh and this would be its replacement

Over their lifecycle as i said.

I think its time to get back in the game tbh. The fluence segregated that market. So the last generation was never going to sell well.

Id get rid of the fluence and roll this puppy out with a name change because its pure awful.

Whatever. They pulled the Laguna due to poor sales of the last version, which was largely down to the previous incarnation being an unmitigated heap of steaming dung.

You'll still see folk posting here about keycards and electrical issues. Thankfully most of them are now scrap.

Fluence is an awful car too. Cheap and nasty.

Whatever. They pulled the Laguna due to poor sales of the last version, which was largely down to the previous incarnation being an unmitigated heap of steaming dung.

You'll still see folk posting here about keycards and electrical issues. Thankfully most of them are now scrap.

You appear to be vehemently anti Reno tbh, So forgive me if i take the posts with a tinge of skepticism. I have not affiliation to the brand and am fully aware of the issues suffered by various in the range.

I firmly believe this vehicle would sell, remove the fluence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

i think it would sell here no problem, Renault sales are flying at the moment, they need a premium looking vehicle to attract companies to buy them as company cars, cause only Fluence and Laguna aren't that good looking and needs to have the 2.0dci engine. those 1.5dci engines are too slow for the big cars. After last model of Laguna giving problems, they need to end it and start fresh and this would be its replacement

The Mark 3 Laguna was a solid car, but the previous model really did screw it over. I think the name is fine. Sure beats VelSatis anyway. And besides are Passat, Mondeo really that great names? I like the looks of it. Bit nose heavy, but the estate does appeal to me.

Renault aren't seeking the new Espace here either. Another good looking car and one that probably had a shot at selling. I can understand them not selling te Talisman as "D segment" really does seems to be dying off here, with people opting for crossovers. It still shows a lack of confidence in their brand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd get rid of the fluence ASAP anyways, but the Talisman is a class above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

The Mark 3 Laguna was a solid car, but the previous model really did screw it over. I think the name is fine. Sure beats VelSatis anyway. And besides are Passat, Mondeo really that great names? I like the looks of it. Bit nose heavy, but the estate does appeal to me.

I was referring to the mk2, i don't know much on the mk3 to comment on it. The name is fine but the image it has gotten over the years isn't great. Ive owned 2 meganes from around that period 05/06 and i had trouble with both and that's left me not trusting Renault so much, but my parents have a 13 megane for 2 years, nothing has gone wrong. Only thing about them in the interior is cheap looking and feels cheap also. This new Talisman looks 10 times better so even if they don't bring it here, i hope they take some features of it to newer models

You appear to be vehemently anti Reno tbh, So forgive me if i take the posts with a tinge of skepticism. I have not affiliation to the brand and am fully aware of the issues suffered by various in the range.

Actually I'm not, but that is your perogative.

Renault made some fine cars over the years. I even owned an old R4 van way back - a great wagon.

Some of their sporty models were great - R5Turbo, Clio Williams and some Meganes.

The Espace was a pioneer in it's class too.

The Laguna was ****e though, and as for the Flatulence :D

Actually I'm not, but that is your perogative.

Renault made some fine cars over the years. I even owned an old R4 van way back - a great wagon.

Some of their sporty models were great - R5Turbo, Clio Williams and some Meganes.

The Espace was a pioneer in it's class too.

The Laguna was ****e though, and as for the Flatulence :D

2 Family members had Laguna MI and MII both had them for quite literally years, i think one was 13 years when he ditched it they ran them into the ground and the problems were minimal.

Yes i agree there were problems across the range but the MKIII was solid but the market had changed and they diluted it themselves.

2 Family members had Laguna MI and MII both had them for quite literally years, i think one was 13 years when he ditched it they ran them into the ground and the problems were minimal.

Yes i agree there were problems across the range but the MKIII was solid but the market had changed and they diluted it themselves.

They should play the Lotto ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

But to be fair it came with a phenomenal warranty, massive spec and they don't break. They nailed down their target audience perfectly. Every second taxi in Dublin seems to be one of these at the moment. Must be a durable aul thing all the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Estate is handsome. Had a gorgeous Laguna Mk1 2.0 petrol that had to go to the scrapyard after a bash. Great car, never an ounce of trouble with it. My dad had 18s, Lagunas and Meganes and never had a problem with one. I bought a brand new Megane in 99, and got rid of it within 10 months due to the delightful problem of it picking its times not to start as it wouldn't turn off the immobiliser. Brilliant in a car park on a dark winter's night.....

Renault aren't seeking the new Espace here either. Another good looking car and one that probably had a shot at selling. I can understand them not selling te Talisman as "D segment" really does seems to be dying off here, with people opting for crossovers. It still shows a lack of confidence in their brand though.

Another odd decision I think, the only competitor to it would be the Galaxy, the Grand Scenic is just not that big enough for some. Although the new Espace I think is another love it or hate it car, I like its quirky looks, probably a step too far for some.

I'm sure Renault must have done their market research thought before making these decisions and there's reasons for it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Another odd decision I think, the only competitor to it would be the Galaxy, the Grand Scenic is just not that big enough for some. Although the new Espace I think is another love it or hate it car, I like its quirky looks, probably a step too far for some.

I'm sure Renault must have done their market research thought before making these decisions and there's reasons for it.

Irish Market too small more than likely.

I'd say so, but I would have thought the UK would work for it, they like their people carriers there. Most of the Galaxy's I see around here are UK imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Most of the Galaxy's I see around here are UK imports.

Not that many private Irish buyers with €50K for a new one is the main issue there, I'd say.

Just less than €40k for a new base model, but I get your point. But the Galaxy is at least sold here. The current model is ugly though, from the side it looks like a hearse.

Saw a German reg'd Talisman estate while on a recent trip, in Bose trim, and it's a pretty good looking car in the flesh.

Plenty of new model 2017 Meganes too, and the new Clio estate seems popular. Also saw a couple of the new Espace around. Renault seems to be doing well already with their new range not yet available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

See the saloon version of new megane here in nov.Calling it grand coupe.good package going by article in independent on wednesday.505 litre boot space means itll be popular here id say more than england where the hatch is preferred

• Advertisement

I got an invite to the launch of the new Megane here, might pop along to it. I don't think the estate will be around until next year.

Advertisement