Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I didn't feel that great after chimney cake this year- only tried because I saw a number of boardsies raving about it- probably something i'll leave off the menu again.

I felt fine after it although it was ridiculously expensive for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I felt fine after it although it was ridiculously expensive for what it was.

Indeed, pretty much a bit of cake batter, baked, rolled in cinnamon and sugar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I enjoyed the Aran fudge, and separately the Aran seaweed face products. Wish I had gone on the carousel, maybe next year.

The square looked empty today with everything gone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

JFK park is a mess again, anyone know if there's a plan to fix it or are they going to leave it like this for months

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Do they not put down something to protect the grass and they put the stalls on top?

Surely that would make sense

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Do they not put down something to protect the grass and they put the stalls on top?

Surely that would make sense

Make's too much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Make's too much sense

Lol, probably!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh, it's fine.
    Mudwrestling on new years day awaits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The ground is saturated. What do you want them to do with it in the next few days?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm organising a memorial service for the grass tomorrow at 3pm in Eyre Square. Ironically we will need to stand on the grass but I think it will worth it to adequately convey the true loss suffered by our proud city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm organising a memorial service for the grass tomorrow at 3pm in Eyre Square. Ironically we will need to stand on the grass but I think it will worth it to adequately convey the true loss suffered by our proud city.

Push that back to four if you can, I'm planning to sunbathe and have a picnic as I usually do in January in eyre square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Do they have to disassemble their pub and pack it up into a van when they finally finish up? No.

That said, I'd feel sorry for anyone working like that on Xmas eve. Working in customer service / retail must absolutely suck donkeys balls at this time of year.

Not everyone feels bad about it. I volunteered for working a Christmas day once, got paid double as well as a day's leave in lieu. As I'm not religious and Christmas isn't huge where I'm from, it was well worth it.

It involved monitoring IT systems and the day was dead quiet (funny how nothing breaks when people aren't around messing with it :P ) and we were chatting most of the day. Then our team lead came in with pizza and buns because he felt bad for us. Was really relaxed. Best workday ever :) I'd do it every year but I have a different job now. The only problem was getting to work that day as I didn't drive back then and there were few taxis on duty. This was in Galway about 10 years ago.

I've also spent two new year's eves working and got paid big time for it because they couldn't find anyone else (unlike Christmas it is a big deal where I'm from) and that was great too. Generally I prefer the money. I prefer spending time with my family in summer when the weather's nice and the days are long.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Walked past the grass yesterday. Once it gets warmer the grass will regrow fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

biko wrote: »
    Walked past the grass yesterday. Once it gets warmer the grass will regrow fast.

it hasn't over the last few years. this will be no different. It will need to be re sown but i would doubt it would be ready for st patricks day, thats if they bother at all. Last year they started it after the st patrick's day and it was just about ready for the May bank holiday weekend. they would need to buy grass and roll it out like a carpet to have it ready for our national holiday. This is how it was done when eyre sq was revamped that time.

JFK park is a mess again, anyone know if there's a plan to fix it or are they going to leave it like this for months

It's the middle of winter in one of the wettest spells of weather we have ever seen, half the county is underwater. Who gives a fiddlers flying f*** about a bit of grass in eyre square. The city centre looks empty without the market it's a great thing to have in the city yet some are more concerned about a bit of bloody grass that's of no use to anyone until summertime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Laviski wrote: »
    they would need to buy grass and roll it out like a carpet to have it ready for our national holiday.

That's what was done last year too: reserving doesn't work cos the birds eat the seeds.

But I agree with Abdullah Whining Molasses (for once :) ), who gives a fiddlers, it's just grass,and pretty useless grass until it gets warm enough to hang out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

I reckon with the centenary coming up they'll buy in fresh grass, guaranteed there will be some sort of official proceedings around there

That's what was done last year too: reserving doesn't work cos the birds eat the seeds.

But I agree with Abdullah Whining Molasses (for once :) ), who gives a fiddlers, it's just grass,and pretty useless grass until it gets warm enough to hang out there.

I'd imagine they've stuff planned to commemorate 1916 and eyre square will be widely used. They might put heaters up incase its too cold for some people :-P

In the Galway Indo today Cllr Connelly " the condition of the grass is the worst its every been. The grass is in an awful state and it is not goin to be right for months" prob won't be fixed til July/August peak season for tourists and around when the capital of culture bud is decided. They've finally agreed not to use the grass this year! My letters and emails to the city council have paid off despite the negativity for fellow boardies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

In the Galway Indo today Cllr Connelly " the condition of the grass is the worst its every been. The grass is in an awful state and it is not goin to be right for months" prob won't be fixed til July/August peak season for tourists and around when the capital of culture bud is decided. They've finally agreed not to use the grass this year! My letters and emails to the city council have paid off despite the negativity for fellow boardies
    Self praise is no praise. The council were just lining their pockets with the money they saved on grass seed anyway.

• Advertisement

caring about grass /= culture

Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair though they made an absolute ****e of the square and Padraig Conneely does have a strong point. It's a focal point of the city and it currently looks like a grazing point for animals. He has been raising the issue over the past few years along with other councillors, not just recently, that is why the market was restricted to certain portions of the square this year.

I'd be very hopeful they change their minds. A half empty Eyre square at Christmas is going to be a bleak and dreary place. But you go away and worry about a bit of bloody grass, good man. Its Bizarre why you would want such a great event like the market destroyed over a bit of grass that's really of no use until summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

I'd be very hopeful they change their minds. A half empty Eyre square at Christmas is going to be a bleak and dreary place. But you go away and worry about a bit of bloody grass, good man. Its Bizarre why you would want such a great event like the market destroyed over a bit of grass that's really of no use until summer.

wouldn't complain as much if it was actually decent and diverse with more local traders. two expensive for the small folk that would bring unique crafts and taste of culture.

The grass won't be in any decent shape til July/August time, that's pretty much 3/4's of the year and the whole summer. The Christmas market was weak this year and has been for a number of year. It need a entire re vamp with fresh ideas

The grass won't be in any decent shape til July/August time, that's pretty much 3/4's of the year and the whole summer. The Christmas market was weak this year and has been for a number of year. It need a entire re vamp with fresh ideas

The beer tent is the reason I've an interest in what the market actually sells but all the stalls around eyre square make for a brilliant atmosphere and brighten the place up. Even this year I felt it was a bit bare with limiting where stalls can be, the entire grass area should be filled with stalls imo. Moving stuff down to the spanish arch is nonsense imo, I'm never going to walk down there.

caring about grass /= culture .

What's the definition of culture? two beer tents selling overpriced warm beer while eating a hot dog form alidi? Might I suggest that everyone experience a continental Christmas market aboard before praising the stalls in eyre square

The beer tent is the reason I've an interest in what the market actually sells but all the stalls around eyre square make for a brilliant atmosphere and brighten the place up. Even this year I felt it was a bit bare with limiting where stalls can be, the entire grass area should be filled with stalls imo. Moving stuff down to the spanish arch is nonsense imo, I'm never going to walk down there.

Uve never been to the spainish arch? It is a 5 minute walk from eyre square, there are also taxi's, a novelty train n city bikes available to those who need assistance

Uve never been to the spainish arch? It is a 5 minute walk from eyre square, there are also taxi's, a novelty train n city bikes available to those who need assistance

Of course I've been to the spanish arch but I don't tend to go down that side of town until later in the night when I want to go to the pubs in quay street.

Eyre square is a much nicer setting for a market, its an enclosed square rather than an open area so much better for atmosphere etc. Eyre square in winter is a dreary dark place and the market made it the centre of attention of the city, what you want is it to go back being a useless amenity from September to may, its totally wasted during the winter if we dont have things like the market.

Also there is nothing warm about the beer tent, in particular the beer so your comment is wide of the mark. Its actually great craic in there and something different. The beer tent is what makes the market.

• Advertisement

What's the definition of culture? two beer tents selling overpriced warm beer while eating a hot dog form alidi? Might I suggest that everyone experience a continental Christmas market aboard before praising the stalls in eyre square

There was no suggestion that the Christmas Market is culture either.

However you were suggesting that the absence of grass on some patches of the lawn area in Eyre Square would count against selection as the city of culture. Frankly, I'm not seeing it. City of Culture and Tidy Towns have very different selection criteria, and mindsets (thank goodness)

Advertisement