Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

c_man wrote: »
    The 22nd of December. I kinda wanted to pop down for a bratwurst (I remember them being very decent a few years ago) but I'm not back in Galway til the following day :o

There's no bratwurst unfortunately, only crappy hot dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think the new layout in Eyre Square is very sparse and ruins it quite a bit tbh.

Ya, but it keeps the grass looking ... like grass. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Would not like to be at the Spanish Arch this weekend as storm Desmond approaches, its wide open there for wind and rain.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/parts-of-country-on-red-alert-as-storm-desmond-bears-down-weekend-looks-grim-709822.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Links234 wrote: »
    There's no bratwurst unfortunately, only crappy hot dogs.

The ones from the crowd bedise the bar in the Sparch were far from crappy, really tasty they were...

That said, I was overall disappointed with the market(s)... Didn't even have the usual tat you see at these things, didn't have much local stuff, didn't have a lot of particularly christmassy stuff... Am at a loss to remember what there was beyond beer, hotdogs, chimney cake and macaroons...

ooh, and Aran fudge, that was absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Anyone know what the chances of the market being closed up with the red warning?

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    Anyone know what the chances of the market being closed up with the red warning?

Whatever about Eyre Square I would say the Spanish Arch could be a danger given that's its wide open to the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Whatever about Eyre Square I would say the Spanish Arch could be a danger given that's its wide open to the weather

Both sites for the market now closed due to storm Desmond. Source- FB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Most stuff closed at the moment including the Chimney cakes

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Finally paid a proper visit to the French Market. Holy lord them bickies are mighty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Im going to tag along to this thread because a lot more people are following it maybe. Mods can move it to the whats happening thread if they want to!

There is a Christmas Market taking place in Roscam(Castlegar sportsground) on Sunday 20th! its indoor and outdoor.
    So yeah...now ye know!

Facebook Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

What markets are still open today for my annual panic shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://galwaychristmasmarket.ie closed on the 22nd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

bluestone wrote: »

I would guess the one by st. Nicholas' church will be trading today.

bluestone wrote: »

The "Christmas market" is closed but there is a market outside St Nicholas church today (to the best of my knowledge!) I was there at the weekend and they had some lovely food and gifts. Merry Christmas!

Can't understand the market closing so early, eyre square looked depressing yesterday you couldn't even walk through it. Should be open right up to this evening imo.

Can't understand the market closing so early, eyre square looked depressing yesterday you couldn't even walk through it. Should be open right up to this evening imo.

So there is no reason for the traders to want to go home to their families for Christmas just so people can go to the Market on Christmas Eve

When the idea of a Christmas market was first mentioned there were concerns from the regular market holders in St Nicholas market (ie losing valuable Christmas trade). the early closing of the Christmas market was agreed to allow some festive trade for the St Nicholas market. Seems fair enough to me.

So there is no reason for the traders to want to go home to their families for Christmas just so people can go to the Market on Christmas Eve

You could make the same argument about shops and pubs in town yet they are all open Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You could make the same argument about shops and pubs in town yet they are all open Christmas Eve.
    Yes because its as easy to get to France or Belarus on Xmas Eve at 6pm from Galway as it is to go to Headford or Oranmore, so no you couldnt make that argument, but good effort nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Do they have to disassemble their pub and pack it up into a van when they finally finish up? No.

That said, I'd feel sorry for anyone working like that on Xmas eve. Working in customer service / retail must absolutely suck donkeys balls at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Certain jobs or trades have anti-social hours built in, it's not nice for some but it is what it is.. I worked yesterday and will work tonight as is the nature of my industry.. If you are a market trader, waiter, bartender, care assistant, emergency services etc that's just how it is.. Not everyone wants or chooses to go to wherever is home..

Lots of workers at the Spanish Arch in the pouring rain and on Christmas Day working away dismantling the market there , felt very sorry for them as I passed by

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Do they have to disassemble their pub and pack it up into a van when they finally finish up? No.

Look I'm not saying it's not crap to have to work I'd have to have to work over Christmas and luckily I don't but when in retail etc you know you will have to. Even waiting open the 23rd would give a lot of people arriving back to Galway for Christmas a chance to see the market and have a few pints in the tent.

They could alway just dismantle it after Christmas rather than pulling it done before hand, the beer tent etc would still get crowds next week.

Passed Eyre Square today it's in a very bad condition way worse than last year

Passed Eyre Square today it's in a very bad condition way worse than last year

How exactly is it worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Look I'm not saying it's not crap to have to work I'd have to have to work over Christmas and luckily I don't but when in retail etc you know you will have to. Even waiting open the 23rd would give a lot of people arriving back to Galway for Christmas a chance to see the market and have a few pints in the tent.

They could always just dismantle it after Christmas rather than pulling it done before hand, the beer tent etc would still get crowds next week.

Clearly they don't have to. So, good for them, why begrudge it. Also, the people that work in the bar, don't work in retail....

Further to that, considering the economic down turn. Many people are not working in retail or service out of desire but rather out of necessity. So the idea that you know you will have to, doesn't make them any less worthy of time to get home for X-mas.

How exactly is it worse?

Larger area of grass destroyed than last year and more to the centre of the Square, take a look yourself

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Larger area of grass destroyed than last year and more to the centre of the Square, take a look yourself
    giphy.gif

I've been looking, twice most days since the market closed.

IMHO it's a smaller area of grass, and isn't as bad. Just in a different area - further up, not all down the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I didn't feel that great after chimney cake this year- only tried because I saw a number of boardsies raving about it- probably something i'll leave off the menu again.

Advertisement