Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'U2 are past it'

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

How was Van?
    I have heard v bad things!

He is a bit like that, he'll either show up or he won't!

I have seen him a fare few times and after the lit up inside gig in the Olympia I told myself I wouldn't go back, as I know it won't get any better than that!

I'm hoping 8-10 will come back and tell us Van was great (no offence to U2 fans!).

I had the pleasure of seeing him perform a couple of years ago and thought he was brilliant. His recent live performance on Cyprus Avenue in Belfast (broadcast by the BBC) was a little disappointing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭8-10

In fairness I walked out after an hour so maybe the last 20mins were great?

Was a more expensive ticket than U2 also. No comparison between the two. Van was dreadful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

8-10 wrote: »
    Van was dreadful.

That's a real shame! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I'm asking a serious question here - Is that actually possible ?

Fair enough someone may be into some very heavy alternative music.

But -U2 have 13 albums and many side projects.
    There is huge diversity across their songs.

Not sure you could find someone who doesn't like a good few U2 songs - If they don't, I'm not sure they like music at all ?????

I've loved music, I mean practically all music apart from Trad Irish and serious opera, since I was about 6, almost 50 years ago
    There's not one U2 song I like

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dcully wrote: »
    "atrocious" "utter sh1t" "awful"

LOL JUST LOL
    This is very common on forums like this. Take any sort of subject and name a popular item. Could be heinz ketchup, brennans bread, heineken, guinness, apple products, tayto crisps. You will get all this ludicrous OTT feigned hatred & disgust.

"Heinz ketchup is fcuking vile & heineken tastes like sewer water strained through a sock." Yet this type of shit stirring idiot would probably happily have a heineken and squirt of heinz ketchup on his burger if he went ot a BBQ at his mates house. Just like they would probably be happier it was "angel of harlem" on the radio in a supermarket rather than "the macarena".

I just see it as trolling, purposely riling up people since they know they will get reactions, you do not see people screaming about tesco value ketchup, even if it was honestly the worst they had.

If it is one of the tiny minority who legitimately do have such feelings, then I would think they are
    A- an unsual oddball with very odd taste to have such OTT views.
    B- someone with very little experience if these are the truly one of the worst they have encountered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've loved music, I mean practically all music apart from Trad Irish and serious opera, since I was about 6, almost 50 years ago
    There's not one U2 song I like

Like, I sort of have to go with you here as I don't know you - I would feel that is being professionally contrarian if I did know you.

Because, how could you love practically all music and not a u2 song and u2 have sold well over 100 million albums worldwide - with songs in a large variety of styles. It is not like they are Oasis with one style or something.

Yet - you have never liked one song.

I have to go with you - for a second, so there is one.

Even doesn't like The Joshua Tree - one song. :D

Like, I sort of have to go with you here as I don't know you - I would feel that is being professionally contrarian if I did know you.

Because, how could you love practically all music and not a u2 song and u2 have sold well over 100 million albums worldwide - with songs in a large variety of styles. It is not like they are Oasis with one style or something.

I don't like Bonos voice like I just love Bowies voice.I don't like Edges guitar playing I like Keith Richards or any of The Eagles
    The lyrics don't speak to me like let's say, The Smiths/Morrisey lyrics. I could go on.
    I'm not going to be persuaded to say I like something I don't like just because others do. Sure that's ridiculous

I don't like Bonos voice like I just love Bowies voice.I don't like Edges guitar playing I like Keith Richards or any of The Eagles
    The lyrics don't speak to me like let's say, The Smiths/Morrisey lyrics. I could go on.
    I'm not going to be persuaded to say I like something I don't like just because others do. Sure that's ridiculous

Fair enough a bad combination if you don't like edges guitar - acoustic guitar piano and Bono's voice. U2 is going to be tough.

But even phenomenal variety over their career.

Same with Morrisey - his voice would do some peoples head in.

So - is possible , but very very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just read this thread and I don't know why people have such a chip on the shoulder when it comes to u2. They are awesome musicians, good people who do lots of charity work and from the northside of Dublin.
    People always talk about where they pay their tax(I think it's the Netherlands) but why gives a flying fook. If it were me and my accountant said, ok you can declare in Ireland and it will cost 10 mil or somewhere else and it will cost 1 mil I know what I'd do.

I honestly think it's become cool to not like them for some reason. It could be pure spite of how successful they are or something I don't know.

The new album is great in my opinion especially the acoustic stuff of the second cd. Anyone who can listen to the Piano version of every breaking wave and tell me it's **** needs their head examined. Same for the alternative version of sleep like a baby tonight.
    I agree with the comments about music snobbery that's a problem a lot of people have who think they are music experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Bono said one time .."In America they look at the rich guy on the hill and they say one day I want to be like him...In Ireland we look at the rich guy on the hill and we say one day I'm going to get that bastard"

Think its a fair comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

setanta74 wrote: »
    Bono said one time .."In America they look at the rich guy on the hill and they say one day I want to be like him...In Ireland we look at the rich guy on the hill and we say one day I'm going to get that bastard"

Think its a fair comment.

So, if you have a negative comment on their music, that's begrudgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Birneybau wrote: »
    So, if you have a negative comment on their music, that's begrudgery?

Apparently so yeah.

Theres no doubt their music has taken a blander direction over the last few albums. Anyone who thinks different is in denial. You may like it sure, but its straight forward radio friendly pop/rock.

That said, they sound great at the minute and are clearly well rehearsed and loving it. I guess its easier with the exact same setlist every night mind you. 60 odd concerts and the same 30 ish different songs is it?

I couldn't really care about their tax situation but taking time out of the show to thank corporate sponsors from the stage is not what I pay good money to see at a gig.

But no, they're not past it at all. They have great music in them but they've chickened out of releasing it. Remember the "new direction" they were going to take after Atomic Bomb? Turns out it was trying to sound like Coldplay and The Killers, as the last two albums have shown. For every Killers "Read my Mind" theres an Every Breaking Wave. Basically the same tune. Except U2 have a better singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

8-10 wrote: »
    In fairness I walked out after an hour so maybe the last 20mins were great?

Was a more expensive ticket than U2 also. No comparison between the two. Van was dreadful

Didn't see U2 but Van was not dreadful, not sure what you were expecting but there's a bit of a difference between a musician who's gonna come out and just do the music and a performance which is what you get at a U2 gig. Thought he was ****ing great meself, you weren't one of the aul bidies ringing Joe on the Monday after saying he was "terribble joe, terribble"?

Didn't see U2 but Van was not dreadful, not sure what you were expecting but there's a bit of a difference between a musician who's gonna come out and just do the music and a performance which is what you get at a U2 gig. Thought he was ****ing great meself, you weren't one of the aul bidies ringing Joe on the Monday after saying he was "terribble joe, terribble"?

I expected him to play a more varied setlist, too much smooth jazz/sax etc, underutilized his backing singer lady who had a FANTASTIC voice. There was a 3-song part in the middle where he played a few folky numbers with harmonicas etc - that was more my speed. Really didn't seem like a significant portion of the gig though. Having said that, the guy crosses multiple decades and genres so a gig of his to my taste, you might hate.

Personally, he was not worth the extra €20 I spent above the cost of my U2 ticket. Which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

His set lists seem to be all over the shop, I had a look through a bunch of them online before going, seems to be total pot luck as to what you are going to hear.

His set lists seem to be all over the shop, I had a look through a bunch of them online before going, seems to be total pot luck as to what you are going to hear.

Well I'm glad somebody enjoyed it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Why do you care so much if he doesn't like any of their songs? Plus, I don't see what record sales have to do with anything when it comes to quality.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Why do you care so much if he doesn't like any of their songs? Plus, I don't see what record sales have to do with anything when it comes to quality.

He is me, a she!
    I never said U2 are rubbish. I hardly ever say any particular performer/s are rubbish
    Almost every piece of "music" has at least a tiny bit of technical merit
    It's just that there is not one U2 song that I like
    This poster seems confused about that on the grounds that, as you point out, everybody else likes them , you have to like at least one song?
    My nephew insists that everybody must consider Cristiano Rnaldo the most accomplished footballer in the world but my husband likes Luis Suarez better
    Nephew can't accept this . Ronaldo is worth more has scored more goals etc so you must join the cult of Cristiano
    It's the same with this poster and U2

He is me, a she!
    I never said U2 are rubbish. I hardly ever say any particular performer/s are rubbish
    This poster seems confused about that on the grounds that, as you point out, everybody else likes them , you have to like at least one song?
    My nephew insists that everybody must consider Cristiano Rnaldo the most accomplished footballer in the world but my husband likes Luis Suarez better
    Nephew can't accept this . Ronaldo is worth more has scored more goals etc so you must join the cult of Cristiano

Whoops, sorry about that :D

Yeah, I don't get how some people can't understand that others will have different opinions. I have my own favourite artists but I couldn't give a crap if someone else hated them. It makes absolutely no difference to me.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Whoops, sorry about that :D

Yeah, I don't get how some people can't understand that others will have different opinions. I have my own favourite artists but I couldn't give a crap if someone else hated them. It makes absolutely no difference to me.

Nor me either. Everybody has their own taste. Nobody should have to explain or be ashamed

• Advertisement

He is me, a she!

Em - no it is not.

To stick with the analogy - of course it is accepted that you may dislike a band - taste is taste. But - it moved on, where I asked a poster to post, who did not like a song from U2.

1 person claimed to be this person , but then admitted they liked 2 songs.

To stick with the analogy (you have used) for a second.
    To claim to love all music and, you don't like one song from U2, is like your husband saying he never liked a goal from Ronaldo - it just isn't possible - or your husband would be trying to be controversial for the sake of it - a Dunphy like character.

Saying you don't like any U2 song , is a very unusual statement - the overwhelming majority of people who "like music" - as in > 99 % like a U2 song.

So , yes, there is an odd 1% - a Dunphy like, who will claim Ronaldo is Rubbish - but they can be wrong.

Em - no it is not.

To stick with the analogy - of course it is accepted that you may dislike a band - taste is taste. But - it moved on, where I asked a poster to post, who did not like a song from U2.

To claim to love all music and, you don't like one song from U2, is like your husband saying he never liked a goal from Ronaldo - it just isn't possible - or your husband would be trying to be controversial for the sake of it - a Dunphy like character.

Saying you don't like any U2 song , is a very unusual statement - the overwhelming majority of people who "like music" - as in > 99 % like a U2 song.

So , yes, there is an odd 1% - a Dunphy like, who will claim Ronaldo is Rubbish - but they can be wrong.

Your not getting it at all
    Anyone who pulls statistics out of thin air is walking on thin ice
    99% of people who like music do not like U2
    That's crazy talk
    Your going to have to accept it
    I love most music, but I don't like any U2 songs

Em - no it is not.

It's not impossible at all. People have different tastes and there are obviously some to whom U2 will just not appeal whatsoever.

Sorry but I'm not buying this argument at all. U2 are popular in the mainstream - not universally

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PureM

I don't think they are past it, in Ireland we might think that but they got a much bigger fan-base around the world that would argue this. However, they do seem to be another rolling karaoke band... latest album speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Karaoke? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I used to go to all their gigs from ZooTV onwards but kinda fell out of love with them after the Atomic Bomb album. I'm more of a casual fan these days.

Anyway I watched their gig in Paris last night and was struck by two things. 1) Bonos voice seems to be on the way out, quite croaky at times. Maybe he had a cold or something but he definitely wasn't hitting the high notes very often. 2) was his energy on stage. He seems a lot less mobile than 10 years ago- I watched him perform Streets Have no Names and he was just strolling around the stage with no energy. Compare that to the same song played in the 2001 Slane DVD and there is no comparison. Maybe his bicycle accident meant that he can't be as lively as before or something?

Anyway I wouldn't say that they are 'past it' but more so that they have peaked somewhat. Gone are the days of a single album producing at least 5 or 6 top quality songs, nowadays it's more like 2, sometimes 3 per album.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

You are comparing the energy of man when he was 40 to with when he is 55?

And then a band which is around for 40 years without a break, still producing 2-3 hits per album is quite an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was just an observation and as I said it could be something to do with his bike accident. But watching the Paris gig it was obvious he is less mobile on stage than previous gigs I've seen where he'd be running the length of stage, doing his jumps,leg kicks and all that jazz. It was strangely missing from the Paris gig which for me was untypical of the Bono performances I've been used to in the past, that's all.

In any case being 55 shouldn't matter, Mick Jagger is 73 and no one could ever say he lacks energy on stage even at that age. He always gives it socks for 2 solid hours. Iggy Pop the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It was just an observation and as I said it could be something to do with his bike accident. But watching the Paris gig it was obvious he is less mobile on stage than previous gigs I've seen where he'd be running the length of stage, doing his jumps,leg kicks and all that jazz. It was strangely missing from the Paris gig which for me was untypical of the Bono performances I've been used to in the past, that's all.

In any case being 55 shouldn't matter, Mick Jagger is 73 and no one could ever say he lacks energy on stage even at that age. He always gives it socks for 2 solid hours. Iggy Pop the same.

I was actually surprised by Bono at the gigs in Dublin ,he was pretty energetic and full of stamina .
    I couldnt fault his energy at all .

His voice wasnt bad either but it was noticeable that the band were slowing down some of the more up tempo songs for him to keep up but saying that he did have a cold .

Advertisement