Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'U2 are past it'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

From this album and from these gigs - I've got more into U2 than ever, their tours is my relationship with the band - the number of events in your life that a U2 gig is amazing.

Was talking to the brothers there about Slane etc - you basically have 3 generations from the 1 family going to U2 - that is a rare thing.

They have an astonishing number of songs - that are just incredible.

They are in their mid 50s, give them a break - as someone said earlier - there is no real musical debate is there, I mean this is a band that went from Punk to Gospel to American Rock/Blues to Dance and back.

Look at this progression in music

I will Follow
    Gloria
    4th of July
    One
    Angel of Harlem
    Zoo Station
    Lemon
    City of Blinding lights
    The Troubles

Not picking their great songs - but admiring their braveness in their music.
    Amazing they kept that up.

Look at above - they never took themselves as serious as the show , they know , we all know, Bono knows he is a gob****e, at times. But they are funny too - Bono is a funny lad and is a class Irish Story teller in an Irish way.

But **** it , If Bono can't be a gob****e, outspoken and be self indulgent , no one can. You need blokes like Bono to brighten life up .

It is entertainment - I hate the way they went all Apple - money chasing etc , but they have put in 20 + years of great art.

Went to see Fleetwood recently , and it was all love. And they are as mad as anything going , lads they are artists - they are suppose to be out there. At least they are not like some acts - who have an almost hatred of their audience and are as grumpy as **** - they give all (take a good bit back (lol)).

We shouldn't let our hang ups on the other issues , blind us from the stunning, stunning work they have done.

As for the stage show and lights - amazing , have loved every gig they have ever done in this area.
    They have been miles ahead and invented how to visually stimulate from Zoo Tv tour. I enjoy it, it is like going to a play / stage act.

People don't remember , how out there this was as an idea - so going on about the stage show being a blinding act is rubbish, they basically invented the idea of a show (imagine that, even imagine that) - I suppose, they are embracing technology this time as opposed to taking the piss out of modern culture (internet) versus - TV.

Jesus I think at 50 + you can't go inventing yourself all the time.
    I actually loved this tour because it is sort of , feck we are where we are.
    We can still pull off songs like Song for Someone - Every breaking wave - and take a few chances on the likes of The Troubles with a producer they never worked with - with female vocal - beautiful.

If you watch this - and are not impressed - this is a lad in his 50s, singing a personal song - that touches me deeply - I'm not afraid to say that, great stuff touches you.
    Not a great song - but a great idea and real emotion

But as a fan - I'm too easy :D

TASTE%2BIS%2BTHE%2BENEMY%2BOF%2BART%2Bc%25C3%25B3piaa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't think U2 are past it or stale, but I certainly think they peaked a very long time ago.

I was at the gig on Tuesday and really enjoyed it.

I think 'past it' implies that they're out in the wilderness which they're clearly not. Their latest album was pretty good but nowhere near peak U2 and I'd be a seriously casual U2 fan. A LOT of people slammed that album without actually listening to it. The critic metascore on metacritic is 64 which kind of tells you where they are.

Still good, but nowhere near as good as they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Given that practically everyone in the arena last night was singing along to Raised By Wolves, Every Breaking Wave, Beautiful Day, City of Blinding Lights and Vertigo, I'd be fairly confident that they'd still sell out any venue several times over.

Beautiful day is the only one I recognise from that list, and that's a poor enough song. Love their earlier stuff but anything after the joshua tree makes me glaze over.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/u2-songs-of-innocence-20140911

That is a fairly serious endorsement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Fricke

I think Irish people have gone a bit selectively blind or deaf from the truth - great Album - watch this space.
    I think it is going to be a rebirth of U2 like All That You Can't Leave Behind.

And, I'm not just saying that - first Album I've got into in a long while.
    Maybe, Arcade Fire Funeral the last one I was that into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLjNpNaw_44

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

. If they had put 10 nights up in a row in Dublin guaranteed every one of them would be a sellout.

So would Garth Brookes and One Direction.

Numbers mean nothing :pac:

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    So would Garth Brookes and One Direction.

Numbers mean nothing :pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Bonedigger wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I don't think U2 have made a decent album since Achtung Baby. The odd decent tune on Zooropa and Pop aside, very little they've produced since has impressed me much. They're on the gravy train (and fair play to them!), so can continue to produce rather mediocre albums and know that the diehards will always buy the albums and concert tickets no matter what.

I thought their 2 albums in the 00s were really good
    'how to dismantle an atomic bomb', and
    'all that you can't leave behind'

Some of the music & lyrics that explored Bonos often fraught relationship with his father are some of their best stuff imho e.g.

U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Live) - YouTube

daithi7 wrote: »
    I thought their 2 albums in the 00s were really good
    'how to dismantle an atomic bomb', and
    'all that you can't leave behind'

Some of the music & lyrics that explored Bonos often fraught relationship with his father are some of their best stuff imho e.g.

U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Live) - YouTube

That's an incredible song, so poignant. If you look-up YouTube there's a also a single take video of Bono walking through the streets singing it from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

mark13 wrote: »
    The Who, Neil Young, Prince, Billy Joel, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney, The Eagles, Roger Waters, AC/DC are all still touring regularly and playing massive venues, last time I checked they haven't put out anything significant in decades..so do you have a similar level of vitriol for them or is this just a U2 thing?

Neil Young is still releasing albums regularly and I think they're pretty good, even though he's been in the business for about 50 years. Prince has also released a few albums in recent years although I haven't heard much of it myself so can't comment on the quality.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Neil Young is still releasing albums regularly and I think they're pretty good, even though he's been in the business for about 50 years. Prince has also released a few albums in recent years although I haven't heard much of it myself so can't comment on the quality.

Elton John also put out an album in 2013 to more or less critical acclaim also; his highest charting album in the US in nearly 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Am not a fan of U2 at all, in fact I think Bono is an over inflated PITA. In saying that I saw them in Belfast on the Thurs night and was astounded by the stage show. It was a brilliant performance - I was even singing along with some of the songs!
    We were so close to the circular stage that we could see the stacked heels Bono wore and how many wrinkles Adam Clayton :-D
    Thankfully Bono didn't pontificate as much as other tours - maybe he has heard the snores and decided to concentrate on music.
    All in all, I was blown away by the show. Still haven't bought one of their albums since Joshua Tree but if they continue gigging like that, my mind could be changed.

And to anyone that says that they are too old - try going to a Bruce Springsteen gig. The guy is 66 and runs around the stage like a teenager for over 3 hours!

On a couch in mid 50s - unplugged.

Not sure who is doing stuff like this , this good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

New album is embarrassingly bad. Glad the tour went down well but I'd just as soon go see The Killers or Coldplay nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Past it your having laugh!!
    ..I am casual U2 fan, and have seen them 3 times in my life, and Saturdays was the best live give i have gone too
    the atmosphere was amazing, the crowd all enjoyed it, they put on a great show, fair enough if you went to a few of the gigs you might have got slightly bored , but to say that u2 are past it is not fair
    In my opinion they are the best band in the world.
    and i actually think the new album is one of best from them from a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

mark13 wrote: »
    Yes obscure tracks like Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Elevation, The Sweetest Thing etc

Haha... Sweetest Thing, that new track which was an 80s b-side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

beecee wrote: »
    Haha... Sweetest Thing, that new track which was an 80s b-side.

Vertigo and Elevation are EXACTLY what's wrong with U2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

They did well when Paul Oakenfold helped them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'm asking a serious question here - Is that actually possible ?

Yes ... hello - I exist.
    Not sure you could find someone who doesn't like a good few U2 songs - If they don't, I'm not sure they like music at all ?????

Yes ... hello - I exist and I like music very much - just not U2's.

Also , I believe someone mentioned U2 being crap and then saying they'd rather go listen to The Killers or Coldplay ... I take it that was trolling ?

RayCon wrote: »
    Yes ... hello - I exist.

Yes ... hello - I exist and I like music very much - just not U2's.

Also , I believe someone mentioned U2 being crap and then saying they'd rather go listen to The Killers or Coldplay ... I take it that was trolling ?

So your saying out of their what 200 + songs in all different genre . You don't like anything.

Shocked with that .

What do you like ?

In fairness - as threads go , this has been sensible enough.

I think 95 % think U2 are important musically - and as far as experimentation goes, they have been very impressive.

Past it for anyone that big is a big statement - typically when people are that good they surprise people again when least expected.

Anyway - sensible enough stuff.

This thread made me watch a bit of ZooTv intro again and forgot , how outrageously good it was. You can't really expect someone to replicate their peak - as it is their peak - you are only at that point once physically creatively etc, once. So yes they are past that - but have still done great stuff since.

Was listen to Noel Gallagher talking about it - and he said how uncool U2 were , yet, he knew what they were doing was the future.

Start of this is , just insane - from space for its time.

You have Beethoven in there and everything - then the loop and images. Would give anything to have experienced that at that time.

Look at the crowd :eek:
    Band not even on stage.

• Advertisement

So your saying out of their what 200 + songs in all different genre . You don't like anything.

Shocked with that .

What do you like ?

I like the songs Unforgettable Fire and All I Want Is You ... from a catalog of 200+ songs I think it's safe to say the don't do anything for me. Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)

I won't go into what I do like because that could be misinterpreted as "ooh what I like is so much better than what you like" - which is pointless - music (like all art) is subjective ... nobody is more "correct" than anybody else. It's what floats you boat.

RayCon wrote: »
    I like the songs Unforgettable Fire and All I Want Is You ... from a catalog of 200+ songs I think it's safe to say the don't do anything for me. Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)

I won't go into what I do like because that could be misinterpreted as "ooh what I like is so much better than what you like" - which is pointless - music (like all art) is subjective ... nobody is more "correct" than anybody else. It's what floats you boat.

So it is not a great thread - if the person who did not exist - did not exist. Like a bad U2 lyric that. :)

Even the U2 songs you picked are very "u2ey", so would be very very hard for you to go through the other 198+ and not find about 20 more to be honest - but we will go with the subjective angle for the sake of it.

U2 are rare in that, they are accessible, yet respected by the music industry.
    But, you are not a music fan by the way the coolers go on - if you can't sit down and watch Jools Holland and like everything in it - when 50 % of it, is painful and inaccessible at best.

Yet jools is a class bloke, as, he will bring on anything that is a talent - Ed Sheeran etc. Yet if you admit you like an Ed Sheeran song - you are gone :D:D:P:P

I think it just became "cool" to say, you don't like U2, in Ireland for a while - and that related to the stuff Bono was up to. I agreed with people calling him up on his hypocrisy - sure he even let it slip in interviews he hasn't gone back to Cedarwood road in years , so is a bit bizarre to do it virtually and charge 200 euro a head to talk about the tough upbringing, then jump in a cab out to 4 seasons in D4 :D - and U2 are not even tax resident in their beloved town. :eek:

But - musically , there is no debate - so not sure why we are even talking about it. But is an interesting topic and sure it is why we use boards to explore ideas and discover what you and others feel about something .

I just was frustrated with people saying they don't like U2 - as a cool thing to say.

On the killers thing above , they have brilliant songs , and another band the "coolers" would struggle to accept.
    Mr Brightside
    Human
    All these things I have done

Unreal stuff.

So there is subjectivity and music snobbery - I hate music snobbery more than anything. Music snobbery is an afront to the concept of subjectivity.

I think - subjectivity should be permitted in all art - If people have the balls to do anything I admire it.....but saying you don't like all U2 songs , is basically impossible if you like music.

But I'm sure there is someone out there - a big world - lol

Imagine deleting a free album to make a point - lol. Middle/Hipster class problem.

On the killers thing above , they have brilliant songs , and another band the "coolers" would struggle to accept.
    Mr Brightside
    Human
    All these things I have done

Unreal stuff.

HHHhmmmmm , eh .... I'm gonna have to disagree with you again I'm afraid ... The Killers do nothing for me either ... which was why I kinda lumped them in with U2 and Coldplay and was amused that somebody could call U2 crap while calling them (and Coldplay) quality ... it's all pretty much the same to my ears.

Anyway , the point was ... there are people who don't like U2's music for no other reason than they don't like U2's music. I'm one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I think the initial points of this thread has been lost. There is no point debating if U2 are good or not because everybody has their own taste. You can appreciate something without actually liking it tho.

The original point was in relation to how good the recent live shows in the 3 arena were, the original posted was shocked to hear people saying U2 were past it after seeing the show.

I then made the point that there are a lot of people who actively hate U2, this I believe to be related to the individuals themselves, it's one thing to say "oh I'm not mad about that bands music" and to run then down at any giving oportunity non stop.

I'm a long time U2 fan and I think the latest album isn't that great at all, but to say they are past it is like saying they can't produce the goods again, which they very may do. I actually like Bomb quite a lot but the last two albums were v hit and miss, and the 360 show was v boring! The recent tour was some of the very best U2 shows I have seen. They are capable, very capable, let's hope the next album will be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

U2 remind me of Muse now. They will always put on a great live show, it's been par for the course for them down the years and even a non U2 fan can certainly appreciate that. However, musically and going on recent releases (like Muse) I have found them really, really poor. I genuinely have no idea how fans of their real quality albums can accept the stuff they have churned out lately, it's still U2 but it's U2 without almost entirely what made them quite decent recording artists. Also the argument that people who think they are past it just down to not liking the individuals is ridiculous. Sure, people don't like Bono, I'm hardly his biggest fan either, but there's a lot of people who don't like U2 because of the music and I'd agree with a lot of them in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

if bono was ever to leave u2 then the band would be no more as nobody could replace him.

"Things only seem impossible until they are done" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Within 4 days at the 3Arena I saw Van Morrison and U2

1 of those acts was way past it. The other put on a live show as good as any band in that arena since it reopened. Nay, better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

8-10 wrote: »

1 of those acts was way past it. The other put on a live show as good as any band in that arena since it reopened. Nay, better

Don't be so vague, and tell us which act you believe was "past it"? :)

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »

How was Van?
    I have heard v bad things!

He is a bit like that, he'll either show up or he won't!

I have seen him a fare few times and after the lit up inside gig in the Olympia I told myself I wouldn't go back, as I know it won't get any better than that!

Advertisement