Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will you be having for Christmas dinner?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I enjoyed my nut roast. Hope to start testing recipes for my own in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

I also enjoyed the Moodley's roast but had the same complaints, outer skin was tough and carving was tricky because of this but no one had any issue with the taste. It made for nice toasties after too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Well! I ended up having cheese and crackers for dinner because the electricity was gone for the day!

Fun fun :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Roast was Very nice,had it on a bit long though, my bad. carving wasn't hard though. The water in tinfoil probably helped with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

I put water in mine twice during cooking to help combat the dreaded drying out, the "meat" itself was fine but the outer layer was just tough.

What sides did everyone have? I had sprouts with Moodleys bacon bits, onion and garlic, sweet potato mash, carrots and roasted potatoes.

Stuffed Mushrooms to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

I had an amazing Tofurky roast with a wild rice and herb stuffing, and it was by far the nicest meat alternative kind of special occasion dish I've had.
    I had tried the Moodley Manor burgers and sausages but I wouldn't get them again, the sausages had an oddly squidgy consistency that I didn't like at all.
    I hope I can get this Tofurky bad boy again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I had one of these over Christmas:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Delicious! Fairly sweet red onion taste from it. Lovely pastry. Got 2 days out of it so it was a bargain for €4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tvfanatic

We decided that since we are not really into roast dinners since going vegan that we would let my 3.5 year old daughter pick what to have and we all ate her favourite food. We had spaghetti and tofu mixed with tomato puree and spinach, it was yummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I love stuffing so I made a stuffing pie for my first vegan Christmas.
    Very quick and easy, used some stuffing mix, added fresh herbs, chopped nuts and dried fruit. Put it in some ready-rolled shortcrust pastry and brushed with soya milk wash. Have kept the rest for New Years Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

search google for

"vegan-alternatives-to-the-12-dishes-of-polish-christmas"

Made a selection of these vegan dishes- for a twist on the Polish tradition of 12 dishes.

The desserts/fruit compote/soups all fantastic. The golabki a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I really enjoyed my xmas dinner with this as the main event http://www.veganricha.com/recipe-pages/vegan-lentil-quinoa-loaf

Held together in the loaf shape, good consistency and great taste. A little bit of spice which was great as I usually find nut roasts a little bland.

Thumbs up from me, I would definitely make this again

Advertisement