Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will you be having for Christmas dinner?

Options
  • 28-11-2015 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Christmas is just around the corner and I'm trying to decide on what to have for my Christmas dinner. I've been vegetarian 7 years now and my Christmas dinners have been varied (from veggie lasagne to turkey substitute). But this year I'm hoping to try something new, I'm open to both vegetarian and vegan dish ideas. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

This will be my third time single-handedly devouring a Quorn Family Roast. There will also be loads of nutroast, though, because I have veggie siblings too!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

CameraBag wrote: »
    This will be my third time single-handedly devouring a Quorn Family Roast. There will also be loads of nutroast, though, because I have veggie siblings too!

I had Quorn family roast a few years back and it was delicious. Unfortunately, my local Iceland has closed since and I never found it again. :(
    Also do they make their own nutroast or buy it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I had Quorn family roast a few years back and it was delicious. Unfortunately, my local Iceland has closed since and I never found it again. :(
    Also do they make their own nutroast or buy it?

My local Tesco has the Quorn family roast in stock at the moment so that's what I'll be having for my first vegetarian Christmas dinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm making the picnic pie as featured on the Great British Bake Off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/picnic_basket_pie_50454

• Advertisement

Looks delicious! I haven't ever tried any of the Moodley meals before. Have you tried the Christmas roast before?

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm making the picnic pie as featured on the Great British Bake Off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/picnic_basket_pie_50454

Wow that looks difficult but delicious!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks delicious! I haven't ever tried any of the Moodley meals before. Have you tried the Christmas roast before?

Moodley meats are new this year so i haven't. Looking forward to it as I love their bacon and burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

As mentioned in the other thread I`m making this http://www.veganricha.com/recipe-pages/vegan-lentil-quinoa-loaf

Never tried it before but think it will be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I'm sticking with traditional if slightly boring fare 😉 Quorn or realeat roast with the usual trimmings of roast potatoes, veg, stuffing and yorkshire pud drowned in gravy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wow that looks difficult but delicious!

I made a test one yesterday and it was actually really easy. Took no time too. Was delicious and even the meat eaters in the house were happy. I'm going to add stuffing and nuts to make it Christmassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Got my Moodley Manor roast today... doesn't look like the most appetising thing but I'm sure it won't fail me! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

fartyarse wrote: »
    Got my Moodley Manor roast today... doesn't look like the most appetising thing but I'm sure it won't fail me! :p

lol I was about to post the exact same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I just eat the veg/spuds/stuffing - i dont like fakey meat things and there is no point in making a large nut roast or anything as im the only veggie in the house.

I have decided on a veggie lasagne, not exactly a Christmas dish but a favourite of mine. I'll still have my stuffing, spuds and veggies too. Maybe a strange combo but I'm looking forward to Friday. Maybe I'll be more adventurous next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Last couple of Christmases I've disappointed myself with the recipes I've picked, so I'm just going with a quorn roast this year. It's less hassle. Whatever I make every year usually has to fit this criteria:

1) go with gravy and mash for the traditional meal
    2) have enough left for Stephen's Day dinner
    3) the less prep the better, as the kitchen is small and my mam gets stressed with people under her feet

So I'll just have the roast, and pull a couple of fancy recipes for veg sides for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

My family and I usually head over to my Mothers for dinner on Christmas day.

As usual there will be a traditional Christmas dinner cooked with ham, turkey potatoes and veg etc etc.

However, this year myself and OH have decided to go with a Quorn family roast to replace the turkey and ham.

We tried one out a couple of weeks ago just to be sure we liked it and it was delicious so we are really looking forward to it. We also bought a second Quorn roast for sandwiches (with brown sauce) :D over the following few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

I bought a Moodleys Roast, a Quorn roast and A Veggie Wellington for the Christmas/New Years period.

Also looking forward to the toasted sandwiches with the faux meat stuffing and mayo!

sok2005 wrote: »
    I bought a Moodleys Roast, a Quorn roast and A Veggie Wellington for the Christmas/New Years period.

Also looking forward to the toasted sandwiches with the faux meat stuffing and mayo!

Where did you get the veggie wellington or did you make it yourself?

• Advertisement

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    Where did you get the veggie wellington or did you make it yourself?

Got it in the freezer section of Tescos in Wilton, Cork.

Got it in the freezer section of Tescos in Wilton, Cork.

Cheers sok2005

I have never noticed it in Tesco before what brand is it?

It's new for Christmas, tesco brand, vegetarian (not vegan). Beside quorn range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MIKECORK12

I am poor and no money for Christmas anyone want to bring me home I would be a very good pet

I never noticed them in my local Tesco and I usually have a good rummage around in the veggie fridge section.

They look nice though.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

First Christmas as a vegetarian & the only one in the house so I splashed out on this http://www.cornucopia.ie/shop/?product=take-away-christmas-menu

Had the jackfruit roulade last night & it was amazing. High hopes for the nutloaf today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Long term vegetarian here...I alternate between chestnut and brussel sprout loaf which is far yummier than it sounds, as this one here, which i will make later today...it is very very easy to make for new vegetarians, and if you make a really good onion gravy to go with it, and have it with all the rest of the trimmings as per your non-veg relatives, it is scrumptious :)

115 g Red Lentils
    115 g Hazelnuts
    115 g Walnuts
    1 large carrot
    2 celery sticks
    I large sliced onion
    115 g Mushrooms
    50 g Butter
    2 tsp Curry Powder
    2 TBsp tomato ketchup
    2 TBsp soya sauce
    1 egg, beaten
    2 tsp salt
    4 TBsp fresh chopped parsley
    150 ml water

Soak lentils for an hour and then drain.
    Grind nuts in food processor, to fine but not too smooth
    Pass the carrot, onion, celery and mushrooms through food processor till finely chopped, then fry gently in the butter. Stir in the curry powder.
    Cool.
    Add all the rest of ingredients, mix
    Put all into lined and greased loaf tin. Bake for an hour or so at 190/375. Cover with some foil or paper to stop burning but take this off near end so top can brown. Allow to stand for 15 mins in tin before turning out.
    Bon appetit, and merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Well how did everyone fare out for the dinner?

I had the Moodley Manor roast and while it was tasty it was an absolute b*tch to slice, the outer skin was like leather it was so tough! I found it basically like their "Savage Sausages" just a bigger version and with stuffing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

fartyarse wrote: »
    Well how did everyone fare out for the dinner?

I had the Moodley Manor roast and while it was tasty it was an absolute b*tch to slice, the outer skin was like leather it was so tough! I found it basically like their "Savage Sausages" just a bigger version and with stuffing!

I enjoyed my moodleys roast. I'll be making sandwiches with the leftovers

Advertisement