Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC 3 Confirmed To Close Early 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Utterly daft to give this channel a new look six weeks before it closes, especially when BBC One hasn't seen a revamp in nearly a decade and BBC Two is using its 1990s idents.

I think they are keeping the brand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I know some logos can take a while to grow on you, but that is pure ridiculous.

Also agree that it's a terrible time to be changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Utterly daft to give this channel a new look six weeks before it closes, especially when BBC One hasn't seen a revamp in nearly a decade and BBC Two is using its 1990s idents.

The brand continues online. Only the television channel is closing.

JDxtra wrote: »
    I know some logos can take a while to grow on you, but that is pure ridiculous.

Also agree that it's a terrible time to be changing it.

Also it is still BBC THREE rather than BBC ||!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

It's shifting to online right? Does anyone know if they'll have a linear online stream akin to watching the channel live or will it be more netflix style with programming being made available at certain times/dates.

If its to have a linear stream, is there anything stopping the likes of Virgin and Sky to take that feed and broadcast it?

• Advertisement

It won't be a linear channel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No, it's not continuing as a linear scheduled service. The brand will continue only in the form of an area on iPlayer and a "BBC Three on BBC One/Two" type late night slot. Yet they have developed a full new on air identity for it, even though it won't be on air any more after February.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It's sad to see the conservative government in Britain slowly dismantling the BBC :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

irishfeen wrote: »
    It's sad to see the conservative government in Britain slowly dismantling the BBC :(

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/dec/30/bbc-freedoms-and-the-tv-licence-fee-deal

bbc will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I suppose with the move onto the BBCiPlayer; it will be geo-locked to UK licence fee payers only?

I watch a lot of the BBC Three programmes nearly every night of the week including FG and AD. I will miss it when it goes off air on linear TV.

• Advertisement

I suppose with the move onto the BBCiPlayer; it will be geo-locked to UK licence fee payers only?

I watch a lot of the BBC Three programmes nearly every night of the week including FG and AD. I will miss it when it goes off air on linear TV.

3e ... I know ads for lovely girls

Of course but to the UK only. They do ask if you are a licence fee holder but it is a simple Yes or No answer. No proof required.

Family Guy and American Dad aren't really an issue - 3e, Fox, ITV2, and (for a while) BBC Two will be continuing to screen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Family Guy and American Dad aren't really an issue - 3e, Fox, ITV2, and (for a while) BBC Two will be continuing to screen them.
    The ads will be a kick in the balls though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

And lack of them being available HD FTA, which some people don't see as a big issue for cartoons that essentially don't benefit that much from a HD showing, but it is still nice to see them that way - especially when the SD channels are compressed so much everything looks a soft, blurry mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

irishfeen wrote: »

Considering the way the BBC is a leftwing mouthpiece I really don't blame them. The BBC is arguably anti-British.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Considering the way the BBC is a leftwing mouthpiece I really don't blame them. The BBC is arguably anti-British.

Tell many Scottish how left leaning/anti-British they are. BBC Bias/Balance maybe?

BBC Three anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

BBC Three anyone?

I took BBC3 from my favourites in sep 2015

BBC Three anyone?

No it goes off air soon ;)

• Advertisement

Ftakeith, you're again sailing close to the wind here and on the SkyQ thread

Looks like Watch is rebranding is taking some of BBC three's content, including same day repeats of EastEnders

Watch replaced by W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Elmo wrote: »
    Looks like Watch is rebranding is taking some of BBC three's content, including same day repeats of EastEnders

Watch replaced by W

I was reading this over the weekend and I briefly thought that the UKTV station: WATCH (or it's latest rebranded channel name: "W") was gonna show repeats of BBC soap EastEnders and I thought maybe be a good move until I later realized that they were referring to same day repeats rather than legacy material from it's earlier days back in the mid 1980s.

I really wonder in an age of BBC iPlayer, YouTube and other Internet streaming options whether there really is a sufficient demand for same day repeats of EastEnders on an "encrypted" channel that has been struggling to attract new viewers for quite some time. Perhaps one of the other Free-To-Air UKTV channels like Drama should have gone for it but I wonder how it would work for WATCH / W going forward?

Advertisement