Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC 3 Confirmed To Close Early 2016

Options
  • 26-11-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭

The BBC Trust have confirmed today that BBC 3 will close down as a broadcast channel and move online only early next year. Long-form content will be broadcast on BBC 1 and 2 at various times throughout the day and they will have a slight remit change to take on the responsibilities of BBC 3 in finding new talent, programming ideas and taking more risks in catering for the younger audience.

The will not be a BBC 1+1 channel as it was considered unviable.

CBBC will now broadcast from 7am to 9pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Will the online channel be geo-locked?

I expect so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I expect so.

BBC.Co.UK is geo-blocked for me at the moment. I end up with BBC.com instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I expect so.

There is no chance of this not being locked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

.paddy wrote: »
    The BBC Trust have confirmed today that BBC 3 will close down as a broadcast channel and move online only early next year. Long-form content will be broadcast on BBC 1 and 2 at various times throughout the day and they will have a slight remit change to take on the responsibilities of BBC 3 in finding new talent, programming ideas and taking more risks in catering for the younger audience.

The will not be a BBC 1+1 channel as it was considered unviable.

CBBC will now broadcast from 7am to 9pm.

bodies, being humas, conviction, family guy, american dad, in the flesh, real hustle are all classic bbc3 shows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They should re-name BBC4 - it will look a bit silly having BBC1,BBC2 and BBC4 and no BBC3 except having to go online for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Delta2113 wrote: »
    They should re-name BBC4 - it will look a bit silly having BBC1,BBC2 and BBC4 and no BBC3 except having to go online for it.

Happened before - BBC Knowledge was renamed BBC4 to echo Radio 4. BBC Choice became BBC 3 later.

Delta2113 wrote: »

bbc3 will still be there but online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

BBC.Co.UK is geo-blocked for me at the moment. I end up with BBC.com instead.

I am on Vodafone Ireland for Broadband etc.. when I log into wowhd.ie- a message comes up saying, "it appears you are accessing this website from the UK would you like to go to the uk version"

I thought then-I must try the BBC player! No joy-that thinks I am in Ireland which is right and I also get BBC.com when looking for bbc.co.uk.

Sorry about the bold- couldn't manage to undo it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Will there be a live streamed version of BBC THREE?

Elmo wrote: »
    Will there be a live streamed version of BBC THREE?

yes on the bbc I-player for uk only

Freesat will gain Really, yesterday and drama instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ftakeith wrote: »
    yes on the bbc I-player for uk only

Freesat will gain Really, yesterday and drama instead

Wonder if BBC Worldwide will continue to sell BBC Three to Irish providers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I gathered that there would be no scheduled channel called BBC Three. Rather, it would be a brand for an on-demand area on the iPlayer concentrating mainly on short form content. It might also appear on BBC One and Two (in the form of, say, "BBC Three on BBC One") as it is a requirement that any long form commissions air on BBC One or Two. If there continues to be a traditionally scheduled channel, there'd be no point in moving it online as the only savings would be on the transmission side.

See this article:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a775352/bbc-three-controller-damian-kavanagh-promises-that-the-move-online-will-be-great/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yes, people seem to be getting confused and thinking the channel will continue in its current form but online only, and you can dip in and out of a "live stream". This is NOT the case.

BBC iPlayer will have a section called BBC 3, like it currently has, and this is where BBC 3's content will go. That is what is happening to the channel. It is ceasing to exist in a linear broadcast form. It will soon just be a collection of shows aimed at a younger audience available in one particular section of iPlayer to stream on demand. That's it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have to say, I'm very disappointed to see BBC 3 go. It is one of the few channels I regularly "watch" on Freesat.

I know it sounds silly, but Family Guy, American Dad, etc. represented pretty decent late night brainless TV which you could just turn on in the background while suffering boards, etc. and not need to pay too much attention to. Sure other channels have similar shows, but they are chuck full of ads.

I'll very much miss this channel, my FTA box will get far less use once it goes.

I'm annoyed also at the lack of free HD with ITV 2, which is where FG, AD and all other Seth McFarlane shows are now living. BBC 3 was great for being in HD and with no ads, now we will be stuck with crappy SD and ads half way through. At least ITV 2 doesn't have a huge pink DOG like BBC 3 has.

It's only a matter of weeks now until new series & repeats of FG and AD start on ITV 2 and I expect once they do, BBC 3's ratings will nosedive.

First run rights for American Dad remain with Fox UK, which is in HD, and Irish rights with 3e, which is....not, to say the least. I'm disappointed with the BBC Three closure myself but let's face it if Seth McFarlane is what you were watching it for then you have no shortage of channels to get your fix of him on.

Well, that is true, but my point was meant purely from a free HD perspective and BBC 3 would be the only option there, especially in the bedroom due to the channels availability on terrestrial and FTA satellite. Not many have a Sky subscription also in their bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bk wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm very disappointed to see BBC 3 go. It is one of the few channels I regularly "watch" on Freesat.

I know it sounds silly, but Family Guy, American Dad, etc. represented pretty decent late night brainless TV which you could just turn on in the background while suffering boards, etc. and not need to pay too much attention to. Sure other channels have similar shows, but they are chuck full of ads.

I'll very much miss this channel, my FTA box will get far less use once it goes.

:D:D:D

-- otherwise I am of the same opinion ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bk wrote: »

I must say I didn't like that brain dead stuff. And I dispose clip shows but when it comes to guilty pleasures I just love Mr T on World's Craziest Fools.

Shows like Being Human, In The Flesh are what its about. Even got the boxset :) which I wouldn't have if it had only been online.

Cost per viewer hour on BBC3 is 6.9p on BBC2 it's 8.2p Radio 3 is 5.9p per listener hour compared to 1.4p for BBC Radio 4 which itself is way above the 0.7p of Radio1 or 0.5p or Radio 2

And Radio 4 is just amazing, the long term cultural and political impact of it worldwide makes it bargain basement propaganda, you don't even try and filter the stuff, other countries couldn't even dream of having that impact.

TBH it's political when they could fund BBC3 by trimming the excess of Radio 3

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jul/12/bbc-spending graphic of spending

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

icdg wrote: »
    First run rights for American Dad remain with Fox UK, which is in HD, and Irish rights with 3e, which is....not, to say the least. I'm disappointed with the BBC Three closure myself but let's face it if Seth McFarlane is what you were watching it for then you have no shortage of channels to get your fix of him on.

It just isn't the same though.

You could just throw on BBC 3 in the evening after a stressful day at work and it would just play various similar shows all night, one after the other, in HD, no ads and completely free. Really easy brain dead stuff.

To be honest, I felt it was a really nice TV experience.

I just couldn't be bothered hunting down those shows scattered across various different channels, in crappy SD quality and with loads of ads. Just not appealing at all.

I suppose I'll just have to stick similar shows on Netflix instead. But even that seems like a little too much trouble for how I was using it.

• Advertisement

I see they have a new logo today, judging by the DOG. Looks terrible in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Karsini wrote: »
    I see they have a new logo today, judging by the DOG. Looks terrible in my opinion.
    Dear god its awful :eek:

Everything about their new look is awful, and anything I've read online about it on Twitter/media websites etc. is 100% negative. It's truly terrible.

Closure date confirmed as February 16th during 60 Seconds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:(

Will miss Family Guy and American Dad before going to bed :(

irishfeen wrote: »
    Will miss Family Guy and American Dad before going to bed :(

they are coming to itv2

ftakeith wrote: »
    they are coming to itv2
    Ads - fúcking ads...

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ads - fúcking ads...
    SD too. :(

• Advertisement

Utterly daft to give this channel a new look six weeks before it closes, especially when BBC One hasn't seen a revamp in nearly a decade and BBC Two is using its 1990s idents.

Advertisement