Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your tumble dryer (fire-risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

I will never buy their products again. They sold me what they have said is a fire / life threatening product which they seem very reluctant to make safe. I cannot why those in power have not demanded a general recall of these dangerous appliances. Have we to wait until people die before the law reacts.

hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭chancer12

The Law doesn't react until someone takes a case or unless there is a criminal investigation. So, I guess we're on our own with this. I'm still waiting for the phone call promised within 36 hours last Tuesday. Will be on the phone at 9.30 again. The best course of action is via your retailer - promise them Joe Duffy!

Well, guys, believe it or not I'm in possession of a new dryer! Took delivery last week of my new Indesit, FOC. So, keep up the good fight. TBH I wouldn't have had success if it wasn't for my retailer (Powercity) coming on board. They made three separate calls on my behalf. Indesit etc are a disgrace, it was like hitting your head off a stone wall. They even refuse to give the name of the Customer Services Manager, transfer you to them or give contact details of a supervisor. Anyone working for that organisation must be desperate for a job. So, the morale of the story is to keep chipping away until you get what you're entitled to. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Something on the radio RTE-R1 (Joe) about it now.

The LGA's fire services management committee in Eng&Wales still asking for a product recall due to x3 fires per day.
    (2,190 tumble dryer-related fires between 2012 and 2014). 11months wait seems to be the norm now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/18/faulty-tumble-dryers-cause-three-fires-a-day-and-must-be-recalle/

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

chancer12 wrote: »
    Well, guys, believe it or not I'm in possession of a new dryer! Took delivery last week of my new Indesit, FOC. So, keep up the good fight. TBH I wouldn't have had success if it wasn't for my retailer (Powercity) coming on board. They made three separate calls on my behalf. Indesit etc are a disgrace, it was like hitting your head off a stone wall. They even refuse to give the name of the Customer Services Manager, transfer you to them or give contact details of a supervisor. Anyone working for that organisation must be desperate for a job. So, the morale of the story is to keep chipping away until you get what you're entitled to. Best of luck

We dropped into powercity yesterday , where we bought our dryer , they played dumb when we asked about what was happening with repairs or replacements and gave us a copy of our reciept (we have the original!) as we'll need it to show the manufacturer and said they can do nothing about replacing the dryer for us until we get a reference from manufacturer . Despite e mails and phone calls we're still waiting on a call back from indesit , they sent the token mail saying not to use the dryer unsupervised . The dryer has been constantly tripping the breaker and has melted 2 plug sockets ( no , we won't be using the dryer again :-) ) . Glad to.see someone got sorted., I guess powercity will be getting another call .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jay48 wrote: »
    We dropped into powercity yesterday , where we bought our dryer , they played dumb when we asked about what was happening with repairs or replacements and gave us a copy of our reciept (we have the original!) as we'll need it to show the manufacturer and said they can do nothing about replacing the dryer for us until we get a reference from manufacturer . Despite e mails and phone calls we're still waiting on a call back from indesit , they sent the token mail saying not to use the dryer unsupervised . The dryer has been constantly tripping the breaker and has melted 2 plug sockets ( no , we won't be using the dryer again :-) ) . Glad to.see someone got sorted., I guess powercity will be getting another call .

Tripping the breaker and melting the plugs is not the recall fault. You need to treat this as a separate issue.

Thanks for that , thought they might've been related . We bought the dryer two and a half years ago , are powercity still responsible for selling a faulty dryer or is it the manufacturer at this stage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jay48 wrote: »
    Thanks for that , thought they might've been related . We bought the dryer two and a half years ago , are powercity still responsible for selling a faulty dryer or is it the manufacturer at this stage ?

Has anybody looked at repairing the fault? Did you get a repairman out to see what was wrong? It could just be a simple short.

Haven't had anybody out , coincidentally when I was going back to powercity about the problem we heard about the recall and its one of the dryers thats effected so was waiting for word back from indesit as they were supposed to be sending someone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mad Martina

I received a call on my mobile yesterday from Indesit repair to state he would be arriving shortly to repair my tumble dryer. I registered on their website that I had a faulty machine last December and had heard nothing until yesterday.
    Machine had a new part fitted, the whole process took about 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I got this email from them, they're offering a choice of a repair or a discounted replacement new dryer, anyone know what model they're offering as a replacement? "1. Continue with free of charge modification

You are already registered for a free of charge modification and if you would like to continue with this option no further action is required. We will contact you to arrange your appointment.

View estimated month of modification »

2. A brand new tumble dryer

You can opt for a brand new tumble dryer for a contribution to the total cost.

Home Delivery Exchange
    This includes delivery and installation.
    We will also remove your old tumble dryer.

€85
    Vented
    (RRP €279.99)

€136
    Condenser
    (RRP €399.99)"w640_7391496_condenserdryer.jpg

Got a replacement, think it was an Indesit, will check when I get home and post. They gave it to me FOC cause I hassled them so much

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Repairman took 63 minutes going by the docket and also replaced the rear bearings due to wear. This is a major design fault and I'd replaced them myself twice. Can see why they're offering large discounts because that wasn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Had my repair carried out on Monday, took 40mins. Did the modification and changed the bearings.
    Went to use the machine last night, and it appears the pump for the condenser unit is not working now as it's leaking water from under the tray. Rang them and have another appointment for next Monday. Pain in the rear!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mitch61

With no thanks to harvey norman we have insisted on a new tumble dryer as the customers in uk if under 12 months all get a refund ir replacement. .it has taken 8 months and many calls to uk we finally got a like for like new tumble dryer last week. ..also our special friends in harvey norman who played dumb on this issue have again done us as we had paid extra for a 2 year warranty have told us that it is non transferable to the new dryer just wait until i get into see their customer service team ...will never ever again buy anything from them .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Bought a new tumble dryer last week completely different make and returned affected model to did for weee... I was sick of waiting on hotpoint to contact me back...
    Got email yesterday about the replacement they were too slow offering new condensor for 135. Maybe I'm lucky as I don't think I'd be buying of them again bad customer service and too may fires caused from there appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mitch61

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Bought a new tumble dryer last week completely different make and returned affected model to did for weee... I was sick of waiting on hotpoint to contact me back...
    Got email yesterday about the replacement they were too slow offering new condensor for 135. Maybe I'm lucky as I don't think I'd be buying of them again bad customer service and too may fires caused from there appliances.

They offer a full refund or a new replacement. .its slow but deal with uk directly thats how we got a result..as for harvey norman dont want to even start thst episode like the way i look at it they sold us the dryer and should have been more helpful instead of playing dumb which a lot of their managers seem to be

Was waiting 1yr (since early Nov 2015) for a 'whirlpool-hotpoint-creda engineer' to fix my dryer (yes, one with the severe/heightened fire risk).

Well the lad showed up today, shook his head and said it can't be fixed as it's a 'flat drum back type' (surely he should have known this already having the model number).

Apparently the lady on from the service center said they're only 'half-way through' the whole risk resolution process, and still can't give any time-frame as to when it will actually be resolved. Guessing they'll need to cue-up another Engineer for 2017 or so.

Next time, (as per my ultra-reliable car) always buy Japanese, not this sort of junk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Next time, (as per my ultra-reliable car) always buy Japanese, not this sort of junk.

I'm not aware of many if indeed any Japanese tumble dryer makers, though. Sanyo used to, but they're not perfect either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Was waiting 1yr (since early Nov 2015) for a 'whirlpool-hotpoint-creda engineer' to fix my dryer (yes, one with the severe/heightened fire risk).

Well the lad showed up today, shook his head and said it can't be fixed as it's a 'flat drum back type' (surely he should have known this already having the model number).

Apparently the lady on from the service center said they're only 'half-way through' the whole risk resolution process, and still can't give any time-frame as to when it will actually be resolved. Guessing they'll need to cue-up another Engineer for 2017 or so.

Are they giving you a replacement?

• Advertisement

In terms of 'replacements' they've been trying to sell me one for ages, all be it at 'discounted' prices.

Would only a accept a free one, even then it would most likely get sold on, and future purchases would not be from this group of cowboys.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm not aware of many if indeed any Japanese tumble dryer makers, though. Sanyo used to, but they're not perfect either

Brands such as Toshiba, Samsung, Zanussi etc. I'd count S.Korea in this group as that part of the world with kaizen type engineering approaches as light years ahead of the Eurozone for reliability, well particularly for used goods produced over the last 20yrs (with the exception of one model of mobile phones).

Think 'creda-hotpoint-whirlpool-indesit', made most of their drying machines in uk and Italian plants, if it was German it wouldn't be as bad. Incidentally their share-price went to a 5yr low this week, so who knows how long this group will remain.

Brands such as Toshiba, Samsung, Zanussi etc. I'd count S.Korea in this group as that part of the world with kaizen type engineering approaches as light years ahead of the Eurozone for reliability, well particularly for used goods produced over the last 20yrs (with the exception of one model of mobile phones).

Think 'creda-hotpoint-whirlpool-indesit', made most of their drying machines in uk and Italian plants, if it was German it wouldn't be as bad. Incidentally their share-price went to a 5yr low this week, so who knows how long this group will remain.

Toshiba don't make dryers.

Samsung white goods are renowned for faults

Zanussi are Italian!!

L1011 wrote: »
    Toshiba don't make dryers.
    Samsung white goods are renowned for faults
    Zanussi are Italian!!

Toshiba make the clothing drying machine ED-60C, along with combination wash&dry machines.
    Zanussi sure sounds Jap, never of guessed they're Italiano.

In summary wouldn't touch creda-hotpoint-whirlpool-indesit brands with a barge pole, 1yr for an incompetent engineer's visit to a fire-hazard?

In terms of brands I've a 20yr Jap sports car, 20yr JVC hifi, 15yr Hitachi Radio, and 7yr old Sony camera that all work as good as day 1.

In the same time I've also taken countless much younger products from Ford, Vauxhaul-Opel, MG-Rover, Philips, Ferguson, Gundig, Hotpoint, AS down to the scrap heap.

Toshiba make the clothing drying machine ED-60C, along with combination wash&dry machines.
    Zanussi sure sounds Jap, never of guessed they're Italiano.

In summary wouldn't touch creda-hotpoint-whirlpool-indesit brands with a barge pole, 1yr for an incompetent engineer's visit to a fire-hazard?

In terms of brands I've a 20yr Jap sports car, 20yr JVC hifi, 15yr Hitachi Radio, and 7yr old Sony camera that all work as good as day 1.

In the same time I've also taken countless much younger products from Ford, Vauxhaul-Opel, MG-Rover, Philips, Ferguson, Gundig, Hotpoint, AS down to the scrap heap.

You can't buy the Toshiba units here, which is rather important. All the premium white goods brands with good reputations here are European brands and most are European built.

Survivor bias makes looking at the electronics you have left from the past useless. I dumped a fully working, 30 year Bendix washing machine made in the UK because of its energy requirements - doesn't mean Bendix made good washers - it was just one that didn't calve early like most did.

Similarly, single car experiences are useless. I had one brand new Toyota - it needed a new turbo after 1500km, drank oil, had more electrical niggles than a factory of Alfas (the windows often wouldn't go down - very safe) and so on. I had a Citroen that did 250,000km without a hitch. You wouldn't judge the entire brands on those - although Toyota's reputation is slowly being dragged down by continued poor quality and recalls.

Should add that you won't find many Japanese market electrical dryers at all - their voltage and hence available wattage is far too low (100v) to even consider units of the size and scale we use here. They'd have gas dryers like are common in the US.

Sure everyone's entitled to form brand preferences and opinion based on their own personal experience.

But there is also a general trend in the populous with these opinions, as some brands far exceed in satisfaction over others, reliability and survivor bias being of up-most importance.

Car are probably the most complex high-volume engineered product, this 2016 Driver Power survey for reliability, shows a manufacturing trend:

1.Telsa
    2.Lexus (Toyota)
    3.Dacia
    4.Toyota
    5.Honda
    6.Mazda
    7.Suziki
    8.Skoda
    9.Subaru
    10. Kia

Sure everyone's entitled to form brand preferences and opinion based on their own personal experience.

But there is also a general trend in the populous with these opinions, as some brands far exceed in satisfaction over others, reliability and survivor bias being of up-most importance.

Car are probably the most complex high-volume engineered product, this 2016 Driver Power survey for reliability, shows a manufacturing trend:

1.Telsa
    2.Lexus (Toyota)
    3.Dacia
    4.Toyota
    5.Honda
    6.Mazda
    7.Suziki
    8.Skoda
    9.Subaru
    10. Kia

1, 2 and 3 are Ultra low volume, low volume, mid volume and ancient technology (and built in Romania!).

These surveys are not particularly useful either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

In terms of 'replacements' they've been trying to sell me one for ages, all be it at 'discounted' prices.

Would only a accept a free one, even then it would most likely get sold on, and future purchases would not be from this group of cowboys.

What's the status now so are they gonna give you a free replacement?

What's the status now so are they gonna give you a free replacement?

Asked, but they can't confirm the next stage of action, guess they'll send another letter out offering a replacement, but for a replacement fee of course.

Suppose it was nice of them to send someone (looked just out of high school), for a 2min visit after only 12months waiting to get this tinderbox of junk fixed.

Whatever you do (in my opinion) would be to avoid buying a whirlpool-hotpoint-creda product ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Is there a working phone number to get through to this crowd, waiting over a year for an engineer

Advertisement