Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your tumble dryer (fire-risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Don't hold your breath. I too received confirmation from Hotpoint that my Indecet dryer is " unfortunately" one of the machines at risk of burstingi nto flames and that I would be contacted immediately to arrange a repair. This was two months ago. When I recently raised the issue with them they played dumb and requested I furnish my details again. I did so and to date they have failed to even acknowledge receipt of same never mind arrange a repair. I now intend to take legal action over the matter as it seems Hotpoint have no regard for the safety of their customers.
    I would not recommend their products to anyone
    We have the previously mentioned Indecet dryer along with a Hotpoint Fridge, Freezer and Dishwasher. The Freezer and Dishwasher are fine but the Fridge has been woeful from day one and had to be replaced. The replacement has proved to be just as bad.
    These appliances are due for replacement in the not too distant future. They will not be replaced with any Hotpoint Indecet Creda products.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mitch61

L1011 wrote: »
    I'll be going against the retailer - DSG. They've refused as "its out if warranty"

I know what to do here, thanks. Don't need to be lectured about a very well known procedure.

Im looking for a phone number that deals directly with this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mitch61

L1011 wrote: »
    I'll be going against the retailer - DSG. They've refused as "its out if warranty"

I know what to do here, thanks. Don't need to be lectured about a very well known procedure.

Im looking for a phone number that deals directly with this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭chancer12

Getting very angry now. Everytime I ring Dublin and explain what I want - ie details of the % reduction on a new machine, I'm transferred to the UK where the staff immediately tell me they can't help anyone in Ireland. I have spoken with some totally useless and incredibly helpful people and have managed to discover that for 99 euro you can get a new condenser washer dryer. However, I'm told I have to ring Dublin for that and the whole circle begins again. I spoke with one very helpful guy on Friday who gave me 'the only email' that works - 'safety@hotpoint.eu'. However, I got an automatic reply to that telling me

We will be contacting you within the next 10 weeks to arrange your repair visit.

How can that be regarded as customer service? I'm going to contact the Consumer Association now. Will keep you up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

why didn't you contact your retailer who you bought the machine from and let him organise the required service/replacement, he will have contact with a Hotpoint rep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Honestly,
    I believe Hotpoint are trying to hide and not accept responsibility for this matter.
    They are probably hoping we will go away.

Hitbit

This is one customer not going away. Did call my retailer but its Powercity and you have to leave a message for a callback - still waiting but will pursue that also

Got a call back from Powercity. They will contact Hotpoint on my behalf. Will post any updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebeeb

Ha best of luck with this. The whole situation is a mess. Hotpoint have become the laughing stock of the whitegoods industry ever since they were told to get their house in order by their parent company.
    There service centre and customer service is a joke. Even our local hotpoint service engineer can't organise a call as they send him on the same roundabout journey as the OP.
    My advice cut your loses not worth the hassle

Beginning to think you're right. Spent another wasted half hour on the phone. Got the number of the 'team' in Ireland working on the issue 1800 804 620 - not a valid number. Looks like I might be calling Joe Duffy

• Advertisement

Well thought I'd give an update. I had a repair man call on Saturday despite 3 attempts to cancel him until I knew what the 'new for old' option was. He was very nice, said there are so many faulty machines that it will take months to sort them. He does on average 7 - 8 calls a day of which at least 3 are for machines that fall into this category. I was told initially that the repair would involve a 'modification'; it turns out the whole drum has to be replaced. In machines of my vintage the drum is too big for the structure and is being replaced free of charge by a new one. He couldn't shed any light on the offer but said that some people must have gotten the information because at least 1 call is day for this category has been cancelled.

I contacted the Consumer Rights Association and they advise me to pursue my retailer as my contract is with them under the Sale of Goods Act. Hence the reason my retailer was more receptive than Hotpoint. On foot of a very strong email to Powercity on Friday I had a call from Hotpoint/Indesit in the UK today who has promised me that by tomorrow I will get a call giving me a price, model type and how to go about ordering the new machine. Feeling good about this, am I am idiot? Time will tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Merge this with this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057527677

what is needed is a full product recall, not just safety notices...

Hi, am jumping on the bandwagon here as I had posted to another thread and the mod suggested they should be merged. So, here is my update

Well thought I'd give an update. I had a repair man call on Saturday despite 3 attempts to cancel him until I knew what the 'new for old' option was. He was very nice, said there are so many faulty machines that it will take months to sort them. He does on average 7 - 8 calls a day of which at least 3 are for machines that fall into this category. I was told initially that the repair would involve a 'modification'; it turns out the whole drum has to be replaced. In machines of my vintage the drum is too big for the structure and is being replaced free of charge by a new one. He couldn't shed any light on the offer but said that some people must have gotten the information because at least 1 call is day for this category has been cancelled.

I contacted the Consumer Rights Association and they advise me to pursue my retailer as my contract is with them under the Sale of Goods Act. Hence the reason my retailer was more receptive than Hotpoint. On foot of a very strong email to Powercity on Friday I had a call from Hotpoint/Indesit in the UK today who has promised me that by tomorrow I will get a call giving me a price, model type and how to go about ordering the new machine. Feeling good about this, am I am idiot? Time will tell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

thebeeb wrote: »
    Ha best of luck with this. The whole situation is a mess. Hotpoint have become the laughing stock of the whitegoods industry ever since they were told to get their house in order by their parent company.
    There service centre and customer service is a joke. Even our local hotpoint service engineer can't organise a call as they send him on the same roundabout journey as the OP.
    My advice cut your loses not worth the hassle

Agree !00%. We are waiting since 05-02-2016 To have a Hotpoint Top load washing machine repaired. Unbelievable cockups. Even had an "engineer" who called on two occasions who admitted that he knew nothing about the machine. :mad::mad: Have passed my story on to Joe Duffy. We live and hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

chancer12 wrote: »
    Hi, am jumping on the bandwagon here as I had posted to another thread and the mod suggested they should be merged. So, here is my update

Hi chancer12,
    Is this the link you use to order a repair?

https://safety.hotpoint.eu/match.jsp?lang=

Filled in their official on-line form (as above), back in Nov '15, still waiting for a repair date. Was expected to be 6 months (May) for the email confirming date/time, now the media is reporting 11 months is a more likely scenario.

Hope they will be able to afford my invoice estimate for supervising their faulty machinery 1hr@€40e x 3.8wks x 11mths = €1,672.

In the UK the 'TS' haven't called a recall as yet, perhaps they should do. In a statement to the Business Select Committee, Trading Standards said:
    "The company continue to remain in regular dialogue with the authority, during which progress is monitored and reviewed.
    Part of this agreement was to organise an outreaching repair campaign to modify the affected products, rather than a product recall.

A full recall would have meant that customers might have been given a refund, a replacement, or a partial refund for older models. However, Trading Standards might have had to prove in court that such a move, rather than a modification programme, was a proportionate response."

But a full recall may well have saved a few more lives and around 700 houses over there.

Moved from home appliances, this thread is more appropriate here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged with pre-existing thread.

dudara

Yes, that was the link I used to order the repair but it didn't work and one of the staff in the UK had to enter the information for me. It was that generated the auto email stating it would be 10 weeks. In the meantime, I phoned 0818 313 413 and they had the repair guy call out last Saturday. It was a long wait, in relative terms, about 4 weeks. He has now given me the part number for the new drum and I have no idea how that will progress. Still hoping for the call back from the UK today with further details. Will update you as things progress

6 mths wait, and still they can't bother to show up (Nov-May),
    looks like it'll be an invoice totaling €1,672 after all for the now expected full 11 months wait.
    (1hr@€40e x 3.8wks x 11mths)
    And no Whirlpool, won't be buying your junk again thanks, even at discount.

dryer_emailreceivednov_may.png
    dryer_fail.png
    dryer_upsell.png

• Advertisement

Got a call from the UK on foot of my email to my retailer offering me a replacement dryer. The lady I spoke with works Mon - Wed and someone else was to call me yesterday ..... guess what? Ya, still waiting. I have the original callers name and number and will call her on Monday. Not prepared to give up at this stage!

Been waiting since 05-02-2016 to have a washing machine fixed. Still not sorted despite 4 "engineers " spending approx 6 hours looking at it. Engineers or technicians ne ar$e.

Just about to submit an updated/revised invoice to Whirlpool group
    for the 6months inconvenience so for (weekly) supervision of their dangerous equipment
    {6mths x 4.34 (average weeks in a month) x 40e p/hr = €1,041},
    naturally this will escalate the longer the delay continues, to resolve the risk without cost to me.

Will also esquire with these chaps (carterlaw) who seem to have a bunch of pending claims already, but these are more for direct damage, rather than time inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Just about to submit an updated/revised invoice to Whirlpool group
    for the 6months inconvenience so for (weekly) supervision of their dangerous equipment
    {6mths x 4.34 (average weeks in a month) x 40e p/hr = €1,041},
    naturally this will escalate the longer the delay continues, to resolve the risk without cost to me.

Will also esquire with these chaps (carterlaw) who seem to have a bunch of pending claims already, but these are more for direct damage, rather than time inconvenience.

Wasting your time there.

Wasting your time there.

Please enlighten us. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Riva10 wrote: »
    Please enlighten us. :rolleyes:

They won't entertain charges for storing something. No one will. Your energy would be better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why aren't people getting onto their retailer and getting a refund from them?

Well, I almost don't want to jinx it with an update but I got a call offering me a new replacement machine, free of charge! I am to get a call today or tomorrow to arrange delivery. I would agree with Carawaystick, the only way to get any resolution is through your retailer. Under the Sale of Goods act they are required to repair or replace faulty goods. It was only when I contacted my retailer and started sabre rattling that I got any return calls from Hotpoint/Indesit.

Why aren't people getting onto their retailer and getting a refund from them?
    For how long after a sale, is the retailer liable.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Riva10 wrote: »
    For how long after a sale, is the retailer liable.?

6 years under sale of goods legislation

Advertisement