Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road User Education

Options
  • 25-11-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

After looking into the Irish RTA statistics on the Central Statistics Office website I noticed that the vast majority of accidents happened at the fault of the road user.

I am aware that we are only human so we are bound to make mistakes but I think there should be a re-test for all motorists every 5 to 10 years and cyclists should have licenses.

Wouldn't this breed a better knowledge around road safety?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Roadhawk wrote: »
    After looking into the Irish RTA statistics on the Central Statistics Office website I noticed that the vast majority of accidents happened at the fault of the road user.

I am aware that we are only human so we are bound to make mistakes but I think there should be a re-test for all motorists every 5 to 10 years and cyclists should have licenses.

Could you post a link to that, thanks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

AmboMan wrote: »
    Could you post a link to that, thanks ?

Cant...its saying im a "new user"?

http ://www .rsa .ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/

you will have to take out the few spaces in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RSA site has some claims along those lines, e.g. this http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Crash%20Stats/RCF20083-2-2010.pdf stating driver error for 90%, pedestrian error for 6% with every other factor making up the remaining 4%. Old statistics at this stage but road factors were only 3% then and roads have improved significantly since.

Older driver retraining should have been introduced decades ago - although they wouldn't be an age group that causes many collisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

Would definitely support some sort of registration/licence for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ceannair06 wrote: »

I wouldn't. I'm already registered and I already have TWO licences. I have a cycling Ireland Licence and a driving licence.

ceannair06 wrote: »

It would make sense no that there are fine etc. being handed out. I mean if the cyclist had no ID on them how does the Gard issue a fine? If they had a license they could be directly held accountable for their actions.

On another note, as far as i am aware the "Garda on bike" unit have to complete a 2 week course on how to cycle a bike in Templemore before they are allowed to use one as a Gard. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some sort of test. Might raise some extra revenue for the government.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I wouldn't. I'm already registered and I already have TWO licences. I have a cycling Ireland Licence and a driving licence.

I have never heard of a "cycling Ireland Licence". How do you get one? is it a club thing? is it optional to carry when cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Generally, ensuring more people were tested properly in the first place would be better - as far as I understand there are still a lot of people on Irish roads who have barely sat a test.

Having high number of driver errors leads me to think of there being a systematic or qualitative issue with the current testing framework. retesting every x years with sh!tty testing procedures or poor general education wont help much.

Additionally, enforcement of existing laws is pretty p!ss poor over here, making it easy for standards to slip (amber gambling in Dublin is rife, as is in town speeding - 60-70 in residential/50 zones is regular) - never mind all the usual stuff like middle lane drivers etc..

cyclists should have licenses.

That seems a bit left field (based on the linked stats) and would be a shame to let a thread about general road education descend into a repeat of one on 'number plates for bikes'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It would make sense no that there are fine etc. being handed out. I mean if the cyclist had no ID on them how does the Gard issue a fine? If they had a license they could be directly held accountable for their actions.
    There's no new offences, so the process is exactly the same as when they used to issue summons. In fact, there's less incentive to lie now with a fixed penalty than there was when it was a summons, day off work for court, and potential for much larger fines given by a judge.

A licence for cyclists is unworkable - what age would you introduce it, given there's no minimum age for a cyclist? And is the evidence there that road safety of cyclists is the fault of cyclists rather than other categories of road user? And why stop at cyclists, what about pedestrians?

I went to school in the UK, and I think the RoSPA Cycling Proficiency course I did in primary school has stood to me my entire cycling life. Money that'd be wasted on licences would be better spent on a similar scheme here.

I have never heard of a "cycling Ireland Licence". How do you get one? is it a club thing? is it optional to carry when cycling?

Its 3rd party Insurance for Cyclists.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/new-membership

Its not compulsory and no, you do not have to be in a club..anyone can take out membership. Most Club cyclist you see on the road will have CI insurance.

Better education and better enforcement of ALL Rules of the Road for all road users, regardless of their mode of transport.

having a licence does not make you a better road user. It just means you have passed a test and achieved the minimum legal requirement to drive a car. There are plenty of inexperienced Drivers out there with Full Licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

In relation to licences/numberplates/insurance for cyclists, I have nothing to add beyond what's been said by 07lapierre & Macy0161 apart from the fact that it's not practical to enforce.

I'm not against the concept of retesting at certain points during a persons lifetime, however I think it'd be far better to improve the current testing system that's in place. It's 10 years since I sat my test, however I remember at the time thinking the reverse around a corner was something I could never see myself needing. My brother is learning to drive at the moment and this maneuver is still required. And yet somehow there's no requirement to learn to parallel park correctly. Similarly there was no requirement to know how to maintain a car, repair a puncture, etc. when I was learning, not sure if this changed recently though? Anyway, my point being that a refresher on the rules of the road & driver awareness would be good, but I'd prefer to see improvements to what is taught in the first place before introducing an additional testing burden on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,830 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you have to sit a test to get the Cycling Ireland License?

Is your driving licence covering classes of vehicles with two wheels? I'm thinking they'e quite different to four-wheeled ones.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A licence for cyclists is unworkable - what age would you introduce it, given there's no minimum age for a cyclist?

There should be. Either a minimum age or (better) a minimum competency test. Kids need to be able to handle a bicycle safely, appreciate risks and take actions to manage them before they should be riding on roads or footpaths. Bicycles on road are not toys.

Is your driving licence covering classes of vehicles with two wheels? I'm thinking they'e quite different to four-wheeled ones.

No..Did you do a test before getting your bike for Christmas? ;)

Having a licence is not the same has having "Experience"

I've a licence that covers me to drive cars and Rigid Trucks. I don't have my HGV license (yet)

Better education and better enforcement of ALL Rules of the Road for all road users, regardless of their mode of transport.

having a licence does not make you a better road user. It just means you have passed a test and achieved the minimum legal requirement to drive a car. There are plenty of inexperienced Drivers out there with Full Licences.

Hence why a re-testing method might improve competence.

There should be. Either a minimum age or (better) a minimum competency test. Kids need to be able to handle a bicycle safely, appreciate risks and take actions to manage them before they should be riding on roads or footpaths. Bicycles on road are not toys.

I don't think age should come into it. If you have a bike for the road whether its for commuting or leisure you should be subject to a test.

Hence why a re-testing method might improve competence.

Agreed...But depends on the test. The last time I revered around a corner was during my Driving test in 1989!

As for hill starts..my car has one of these:

http://oemdtc.com/13458/new-model-service-information-2016-honda-hr-v/8

I don't think age should come into it. If you have a bike for the road whether its for commuting or leisure you should be subject to a test.

You do know its illegal for anyone to cycle on the path? yes even a two year old is breaking the law by doing so!

• Advertisement

Agreed...But depends on the test. The last time I revered around a corner was during my Driving test in 1989!

That is basically a method of them testing reverse parking for carparks with reduced risk of you taking out two innocent peoples cars... have you not done that for 26 years?

L1011 wrote: »
    That is basically a method of them testing reverse parking for carparks with reduced risk of you taking out two innocent peoples cars... have you not done that for 26 years?

I have yes... though I did scrap my car against a concrete pillar in the Ilac car park once! I had a full licence at the time too!

If they want to test a persons ability to park, why don't they bring you to a car park and get you to park in a parking space?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

On the basis of what evidence? If you're proposing a major change to the law (and implicitly proposing the creation of a government agency for administration and issuing of cyclist licences), then presumably you have a fairly compelling evidence base for the proposal?

You do know its illegal for anyone to cycle on the path? yes even a two year old is breaking the law by doing so!

Parks are provided for a reason. Roads are dangerous and right, cycling on a path is illegal.

Parks are provided for a reason. Roads are dangerous and you are right, cycling on a path is illegal.

I have yes... though I did scrap my car against a concrete pillar in the Ilac car park once! I had a full licence at the time too!

If they want to test a persons ability to park, why don't they bring you to a car park and get you to park in a parking space?

As I said, reduce the risk of you wiping out two other peoples cars in the process.

Was told to reverse in to the space in the centre before the test so they get the impression you can do it to begin with - although your mammy could have done that for you!

Ilac has crap pillar spacings, designed for 1960s cars.

On the basis of what evidence? If you're proposing a major change to the law (and implicitly proposing the creation of a government agency for administration and issuing of cyclist licences), then presumably you have a fairly compelling evidence base for the proposal?

I'm not quite following what evidence your are looking for but as far as i can see there is no major change to law other than a few S.I.'s and no new department needed to administer the license. The Department of Transport is responsible for issuing the licenses for all other road vehicles so why would there be any difference for a bicycle?

L1011 wrote: »
    As I said, reduce the risk of you wiping out two other peoples cars in the process.

Was told to reverse in to the space in the centre before the test so they get the impression you can do it to begin with - although your mammy could have done that for you!

Ilac has crap pillar spacings, designed for 1960s cars.

Traffic cones, Empty car park? I'm not arguing with you..im just saying that the best way to test someone's parking ability is to test their parking ability. revering around a corner tests your ability to reverse around a corner

https://blogs.uw.edu/tsmedia/2015/05/08/ts-workers-practice-parking-lot-maneuvers-at-driver-training/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

No test required for CI license. I know the question was not addressed to me, but you might not realise that the majority of category B licenses currently "in the wild" also actually cover category AM (previously M), which is a motorised cycle with an engine up to 50cc, so yes, my driving license covers such a vehicle, as do many others. This was only changed within the last 10 years, and possibly even the last 5.

Plenty of licensed drivers and motorcyclists (i.e. those that have passed tests) don't appear to be capable of what you are outlining, so I'm not sure why you suggest a test and licensing will suddenly add this for cyclists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm not quite following what evidence your are looking for but as far as i can see there is no major change to law other than a few S.I.'s and no new department needed to administer the license. The Department of Transport is responsible for issuing the licenses for all other road vehicles so why would there be any difference for a bicycle?

To be clearer: have you any evidence that requiring cyclists to get licences will reduce road traffic accidents?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement