Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Toy Show 2015 Megathread - Please read Mod Note #23 before posting.

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Chocolate

I really enjoyed the toy show but my eight year old went to bed gutted because they didn't feature any Lego! He was waiting all night for it! Lego Dimensions didn't do it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,114 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Enjoyed last night's show :D

As much stick as we give Ryan week in week out on the regular LLS, he is great with the kids and he did a good job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Finally caught up with it on the Player last night and ... ... the live commentary here on Friday night was the best bit. :(

What does RT think he's doing, grabbing toys off the children and throwing them around all the time? The music/dance routines were as good as ever, but overall I thought this was one of the poorest shows in a long time. Very, very rushed, and a lot of it didn't make sense - like why have one child talk about ponies of various kinds, then take the same child over to another place to talk "kitchen"? 'Twas the same with the lad playing the floor-piano - he too had a totally unrelated spot just beforehand - and why didn't they get another child to do the duet.

Overall, I was left with the feeling that it was very much a Tubs' Toy Show, with added children just for the ahhhh-moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Used to love the toy show as a kid. What a show.
    Of late, it appears to have become a cult TV show that is beyond any sort of critique.
    The TV3 toy show was so far superior in its execution it is actually funny that people still rate the RTE version. Brian Ormond and Maria Walsh were capable of relating to the kids and engaging with them.. which at the end of the day is what makes or breaks the show.

Tubridys performances year in year out on the toy show are beyond a joke. He is simply not capable of relating to the kids.

I think he is a decent broadcaster. But he is the wrong presenter for the toyshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to his Downs, I was referring to how beautiful it was to see a little boy sing with his big sister.

As for the Downs issue/non issue, it is good to see all types of children (nationality, colour, ability/disability) being represented on the LLS.

In fairness they did well with the mix of kids every ethnic mix carefully chosen. There were even pasty pale redheads on it too. All very PC.
    I think that Tubridy was superb in the bits of it, that I saw first time I watched it for years and years. He dived in and was not afraid to make an eejit of himself. If he was as relaxed and sarcastic to his guests on the late late show proper, it would be far better for it. Tubridy has gone up in my estimation. I used to think he was an uptight, nervous, bookish individual. But at least now we know that he can have a bit of craic.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

W123-80's wrote: »
    Used to love the toy show as a kid. What a show.
    Of late, it appears to have become a cult TV show that is beyond any sort of critique.
    The TV3 toy show was so far superior in its execution it is actually funny that people still rate the RTE version. Brian Ormond and Maria Walsh were capable of relating to the kids and engaging with them.. which at the end of the day is what makes or breaks the show.

Tubridys performances year in year out on the toy show are beyond a joke. He is simply not capable of relating to the kids.

I think he is a decent broadcaster. But he is the wrong presenter for the toyshow.

I think the opposite to everything you just said!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

I didn't find it as good this year. Tub's nervous energy got a bit waring after a while. He's good at the toy show. He comes across as a big kid himself which is fine but there is only so much you can take as well. Some of it felt a bit rushed. The games console slots weren't that great. I think maybe he didn't give the kids a real chance to talk about the toys or someting. It felt like a whirlwind tour of toys and it was hard to really get a sense of things. Also, this year I missed the wooden toys segment. I used to find that part boring when I was young but I strangely like it more as I grow older. It seems to go on way longer than I expected too. I think it was going til nearly midnight. Seemed longer than a standard LLS.

Last year there were some good guests. Ed Sheeran was a standout but we all laughed at the Script and their pathetic "do you want to come to our soundcheck" offer and the Robbie Keane bit was excellent also. All we really had this year was Evelyn Cusack and David Walliams. There just wasn't the same impact and they dumped Ev and the young kid as fast as they could afterwards. Maybe they were hoping for Bono and the lads to show up, seeing as they were at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

squonk wrote: »
    I didn't find it as good this year. Tub's nervous energy got a bit waring after a while. He's good at the toy show. He comes across as a big kid himself which is fine but there is only so much you can take as well. Some of it felt a bit rushed. The games console slots weren't that great. I think maybe he didn't give the kids a real chance to talk about the toys or someting. It felt like a whirlwind tour of toys and it was hard to really get a sense of things. Also, this year I missed the wooden toys segment. I used to find that part boring when I was young but I strangely like it more as I grow older. It seems to go on way longer than I expected too. I think it was going til nearly midnight. Seemed longer than a standard LLS.

Last year there were some good guests. Ed Sheeran was a standout but we all laughed at the Script and their pathetic "do you want to come to our soundcheck" offer and the Robbie Keane bit was excellent also. All we really had this year was Evelyn Cusack and David Walliams. There just wasn't the same impact and they dumped Ev and the young kid as fast as they could afterwards. Maybe they were hoping for Bono and the lads to show up, seeing as they were at home.

"So what does this do?"

"Well ya push this button and he..."

"Yea, yea, what about this thing,? What's this called?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Exactly - the whole thing summed up in three phrases! Real ADHD behaviour. Maybe someone should give him a couple of Ritalin before the show. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,114 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

When I saw this headline on RTE.ie, for some reason I thought it was about this thread....

Toy Show dad hits out at online abuse

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/1202/750650-toy-show-dad-hits-out-at-online-abuse/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Laois_Man wrote: »
    When I saw this headline on RTE.ie, for some reason I thought it was about this thread....

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/1202/750650-toy-show-dad-hits-out-at-online-abuse/

The father specifically mentions facebook

Mod:
    Please report comments on this thread you have an issue with and it will be reviewed

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Laois_Man wrote: »

Mod Note

F.Y.I

There was a warning placed on this thread before the Late Late Toy Show started last Friday night, informing posters that bans and infractions would be issued if there were any inappropriate comments made about minors.

A number of posts were reported and deleted from the thread but they didn't involve comments about children. Amdublin is correct, the child's father said that the abuse came primarily from Facebook and Twitter. The posters on this thread were definitely not involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I clearly said "when I saw the headline".

The headline doesn't say anything about which site he read (or heard about second-hand) the comments! Nor does the headline say his issue was around comments about minors!

Advertisement