Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freebies in Breakfast Cereals in the 80's & 90's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yeah for some reason theyre really hard to find.Theres a couple of Ebay links with them the first one has the full set.

This one has the hippo and if you look closely you can kind of make out the effect where its changing to a Brontosauros.

Thanks for the transport back in time :) forgot these!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember sending away for a model of the Kinsale gas rig,it was either Rice Crispies or Kellogs Cornflakes circa mid 80s.It was blue plastic and came in segments that you fitted together much the same as the model airplanes with Cornflakes except it was a good bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I was the most popular man in my street in early 1990's, I was a binman and had an endless supply of tokens for all the Cereal toys, Captain Scarlett Die-cast Cars and the like, feckin queue's of kids looking for a handfull

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

In late 1990's there was pencil toppers shaped as premier league football shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Puppy in my pocket with Weetos cereal in 1994. I was obsessed with these!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What a great thread. I remember getting a good few of those water games alright. Frosties also did ball bearing games that were really good. I also have a memory of getting various little two player board games from them, all kind of like Chinese checkers or something.

In latter years when the movie space jam came out you could collect plastic trophies with pictures of all the characters on them. Think I collected most of them, never even occurred to me to watch the film. Coco pops if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I remembered one the other day.
    When Jaws 3D was released, Shredded Wheat had 3D cartoon strips based on the movie printed on the box and a pair of 3D glasses in the pack.
    They were so much better than the actual movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

More memories stirring in the back of my head,Kellogs cereal bowels that you sent off tokens for.I'm sure we had the Corn Flakes one.

1-DSCF4261.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

haha, had one of them bowls.

i also vaguely remember some kind of soda-powder powered toys.

you supposedly put soda-powder in them and then put them in water and they were meant to move. dont remember much success though.

.... a bit like the 'ghost in a can' from mcdonalds. still disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

We had ALL those kellogs bowls! We still had one or two of them until quite recently actually.. extremely faded, mind! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Alienigenis

Damn this thread has me feeling old. I remember getting books, bowls, all sorts of cheaply made but entertaining toys and trinkets. Then the noughties came and cereals started giving out CD ROMs and audio books (Horrible Histories, anyone?) But now we get… feck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 martinbe

Me and my sister collected all that stuff in the 80s and probably early 90s. We would mainly eat cornflakes but if another company was giving away something better we would switch. My mother was a saint. She would always send away tokens for the Corn Flakes bowels and wheetabix tapes. I remember sending away for cinema tickets for the Black Cauldron. I was recently looking at old photos and seen my cousin with a rice krispies watch on. That would of been the summer of 1990, The reason i know that he also had an Italia 90 T-shirt on.

I stopped eating breakfast 20 years ago. Once i started working breakfast went out the window. I must have a look at the breakfast isle in Tescos next time. Its sad if none of them give toys out anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

martinbe wrote: »
    Me and my sister collected all that stuff in the 80s and probably early 90s. We would mainly eat cornflakes but if another company was giving away something better we would switch. My mother was a saint. She would always send away tokens for the Corn Flakes bowels and wheetabix tapes. I remember sending away for cinema tickets for the Black Cauldron. I was recently looking at old photos and seen my cousin with a rice krispies watch on. That would of been the summer of 1990, The reason i know that he also had an Italia 90 T-shirt on.

I stopped eating breakfast 20 years ago. Once i started working breakfast went out the window. I must have a look at the breakfast isle in Tescos next time. Its sad if none of them give toys out anymore.
    They don't, sorry.

Regarding the watch, was it by any chance one that had a kind of plastic bust of snap crackle or pop, that flipped up to reveal the actual time? Or am I imagining those?

Thats the one i had one myself. You would press a button and the time would flip up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've suddenly got memories of getting loads of cinema ticket vouchers for MGM cinemas from one of the cereal companies - with the box having a "Dublin*" listing for a yet to be opened one

When it did open, the firm had been bought by Virgin (its the now Cineworld on Parnell Street, two renames on) and they didn't take the vouchers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not exactly freebies - the pictures below came as part of the Kellogg's cereal boxes. I still have these ones that were cut out for me 50 or so years ago. They are partially responsible for much of my adult life. :D

Image%2B%25288%2529.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

orthsquel wrote: »
    s-l225.jpg

We had this too! Think we sent away for it. I'm not sure if we made anything from it but I used to love looking at the pictures.

Thanks for all the memories in this thread! Also that EBay link is great for taking a trip down memory lane!

I remember the Black Cauldron and getting hours of entertainment out of the little scenes on the box. I can't believe the EBay link has all the boxes - amazing! I never even seen the film but that box sticks in my mind out of all the Kellogg's freebies.

In the early 80s there was 3 of us kids, and Rice Krispies (we used to call them 'Krispies') would have 3 Freebies for each of the characters - Snap, Crackle & Pop. I was always Crackle! So I would always get the Crackle freebie! Crackle was dressed in green and had blond curly hair. My brothers would each be Snap & Pop!
    (It was the same with horses - If we'd ever see them in a field - a brown horse was mine, White was my younger brother and black my older brother! I think the older brother had the privilege of picking first, hence the black colour!)

Anyway I remember getting a Crackle Joke Book. Half the jokes went over my head, cos I was quite young.

I still remember one of the jokes - Secretary 1 - "Do you file your nails?"
    Secretary 2 - "No, I just throw them away!"
    :D

Also remember all the Tony Tiger freebies - the secret Fan club and magazines - looking back now there were very boyish toys but I suppose I was a tomboy so it didn't bother me too much. Maybe that's why I liked the Black Cauldron because the little character I got was a girl?

What Mum would do was collect all the tokens from the packets and put them in the 'messy drawer'. Then many, many weeks later we'd all help with sorting out the tokens. As a load of things were sent off together we'd get all the freebies in the mail at once! It was great!

I remember seeing 'mouse' shaped markers free with Frosties but we didn't have enough tokens. I was always disappointed we never got them, as I was a big fan of stationery.
    Does anybody remember the markers I'm talking about?

Regarding the records from mid 80s - I still have them and went to have a look for them, the last time I was in my parents house. Couldn't find them, but I know they're there. I'm just going to list the songs I know are on them (now these might be mixed up with tapes that came with Weetabix - I think it was- so forgive me)
    Wham - Club Tropicana
    Bucks Fizz - If you can't stand the heat
    Paul Young - Love of the Common People
    Bananarama - Robert DeNiro's Waiting
    I think Culture Club & the Thompson Twins were also on it.

I finally spent a bit of time down the breakfast Isle at Tesco at the weekend. The only companies that are giving something away are Kellogg’s and Weetabix. Kellogg’s are giving away free tickets to theme parks and Weetabix are giving away personalised spoons. Gone are the days of free holograms or bike reflectors . But Park Tickets and spoons is better than nothing I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Damn I feel so old reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i suppose they don't do them anymore because they're seen as a choke hazard??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

haha, had one of them bowls.

i also vaguely remember some kind of soda-powder powered toys.

you supposedly put soda-powder in them and then put them in water and they were meant to move. dont remember much success though.

.... a bit like the 'ghost in a can' from mcdonalds. still disappointed.

I still have the ship one. It works for about 5 seconds then the baking powder gets damp and clogs up. It'll cross a sink but not the bath. The trick is that the water should be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fryup wrote: »
    I think in some countries its a legal issue, seen as advertising to kids and putting incentives into high sugar food. While it might be legal some might do it to look more responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Kellogs are giving away playballs in their cereal at the moment. When you open the box it's sitting on top, outside the inner bag of cereal. First thing I've seen them give away in the box in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The United States-ians don't allow Kinder Eggs to be sold in case some kid swallows the thing whole, toy and all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The United States-ians don't allow Kinder Eggs to be sold in case some kid swallows the thing whole, toy and all.
    I remember hearing that somewhere- unreal. :rolleyes:

I also had the Kelloggs cereal bowls and the bike reflectors. Good times. :)

Advertisement