Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freebies in Breakfast Cereals in the 80's & 90's

Options
  • 23-11-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

While doing the shopping i noticed, that there are no freebies or anything interesting on offer with breakfast cereals anymore, i know this has been the thing for the past number of years.

In the 80's there was the wheatbix men, i remember collecting flash gordon cards and there was a sports pack you could send away for

I also remember animal heads you cut out from the back of the packs and put together

a rice crispies radio you had to collect tokens for

other plastic figures from block buster movies at the time.

Anyone else care to add their memories

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I used to have loads of the Kellogs die-cast vans/cars etc. Must have had my parents hearts broke!!

Willow in the Kellogs cornflakes was another that still lingers in the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Rice Krispie bowls I remember; also a Kellogs van; lots of cheap plastic toys and a Wham record from early 80s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Think the Wham record came with Rive Krispies. There were four discs with four different songs by different artists on each one. Paul Young's "living in the live of the common people" was one of the tracks.

Rice Krispies had the Mini Magne thatbyou had to send away for .

The animal heads were on the backs of Kellogg's boxes.

weetabix, before the weetabix men, had cut outs of old cars on their packs.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Think the Wham record came with Rive Krispies. There were four discs with four different songs by different artists on each one. Paul Young's "living in the live of the common people" was one of the tracks.

Were they tapes or records? You're bang on with the Paul Young track- the Wham track was Club Tropicana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Bike reflectors from corn flakes were the big ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I remember those animal heads from the back of the packs too. A few years ago I was clearing some overgrowth from the back of the garden and found one of those heads in very good condition :P

I also remember the Kellogg's reflectors (had loads on my bike wheels!), cereal bowls, toy cars, pencil toppers and Puppy in my Pocket :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The toy cards with the tokens for a cardboard cutout Brooklands race track was one I remember well. Was also a Weetabix lego house once, probably the best of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sadly I'm old enough to remember these figures from the 1960's. As usual some of the figures were impossible to find - great way of selling more cornflakes. :D

robin%2Bhood%2Bmodels%2Bkelloggs.JPG

http://robinhoodoutlaw.blogspot.ie/2009/06/kelloggs-robin-hood-figures-c1960.html

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

yes I remember the records you could send away for, the Willow characters,

who remembers the boats you filled with baking soda and put in water

heres a link to some more http://www.dailyedge.ie/cereal-box-toys-nostalgia-646559-Oct2012/#slide-slideshow11

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Ruu wrote: »
    Bike reflectors from corn flakes were the big ones.

?width=605

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Those hologram cards with Cornflakes,mid 80s where the card showed animals like a tiger,Rhino etc and when you tilted it became a dinosaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

bike reflectors, those hologram cards (they were World Wildlife Fund cards from what I can remember, you know I actually might have some of them hidden away in a box!) and I'm sure there must have been stuff in there for any World Cup! I do remember bits not really associated with anything that were just in there..... as well as the cars, the Kelloggs vans and I have a Tony the Tiger car too.

We still have much of the different generations of bowls from Kelloggs both ceramic and plastic, some just aren't used anymore as down to the last few... but my dad is collecting all the tokens now for the new plastic bowls they've had out (ordinary bowls and the tip and sip bowls), as well as the spoons, so they have made a comeback in collecting tokens / codes and sending away for stuff.

On the subject though, I have, and always have had, although I've no idea how I came to have it and wonder does anyone else still have them or know how you got them? The Kellogg's Soft Toy Book Tony with Friends from 1984? It's a pattern book to make soft toys of Coco Monkey, Snap Crackle and Pop, Tony the Tiger and the Cornflakes Cockerel It looks like this

s-l225.jpg

I also do or used to have 2 of 3 items in here, i.e. the magazine top secret even with the red de coder thing and the book, does anyone remember those?

s-l225.jpg

I seem to recall all these too after looking at google images

There were what from google image result is Fantasy Toy Soldiers (I've tried to embed and resize but keeps giving me a massive pic so I'll link it instead)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PEWook400Nw/VAu-bRfHlvI/AAAAAAAACxo/s1i2XIJwBJg/s1600/DSC_0371.JPG

and these plastic Snap, Crackle and Pop which tbh have creepy faces from some image over haul in the 90s

http://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/651275/original/?width=605

and these.... the stuff you used to get like this to put together!

?width=500

And the airliner models that came with Kellogs Cornflakes.I collected most of these apart from maybe the Lockheed which proved elusive.

http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Cornflakes/1980s/Airliner_Model_Kit/airliner_model_kit.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Rice Krispy bowls.. 3d glasses.. A kellogs cock reflector that you attach to the spokes of a bicycle wheel..

I was only thinking about these recently, good times! You get nothing for nothing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

zoobizoo wrote: »

Yeah i had one with Doctor Doctor by the Thompson Twins.
    there was 4 songs on each tape as said above, I think each character had their own tape
    http://aurallyyours.blogspot.ie/2012/07/weetabix-top-trax-top-trax-ii-various.html

I remember the willow stuff in Cornflakes too
    http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Cornflakes/1986/Willow_Figure_Scene/willow_figure_scene.html

Mad Martigan was the hardest to get:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had the weetabix tapes, used to use them to copy spectrum games as most songs were crap.

Got frosties playing cards, there were magic tricks too.
    $(KGrHqV,!pEFIRHBul0PBSIO20kLzQ~~60_1.JPG

Think you had to tape a sterling 50p to card and send it off with tokens, and it could be hard to get your hands on UK coins. Delivery was always "allow 28 days" which was an eternity as a kid.

This star wars figure was with one, I remember being disappointed as it came in a plain small cardboard box rather than commercial packing. Probably would have been worth a fortune if never opened, maybe more than a proper commercial one. The figure was pretty crap so I doubt anybody bought them, maybe they off loaded them to the cereal company.

rancor_keeper.jpg

It is even on a list of the 16 worst star wars figures
    http://io9.com/the-16-most-useless-star-wars-figures-in-the-galaxy-1467580491
    1) Rancor Keeper

Let's begin with one of the most absurd choices in Star Wars action figure history. The Rancor Keeper, whose name we know is Malakilli thanks to his figure, was actually offered back in the '80s in the Return of the Jedi line. This means that even in 1983, toymakers thought kids were genuinely looking forward to playingt with an obese, shirtless man whose sole scene in RotJ featured him weeping like a baby. Madness.

This might have been another, not certain but I remember having it and thinking it was crap, so I would not have asked for it or bought it myself, might have been a present though. I don't think I knew I was getting the fat lad figure i.e. the offer might have been for some random figure.
    60402-16.jpg

Had this koala for certain, others ring a bell
    ?height=528

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Rice Krispy bowls.. 3d glasses.. A kellogs cock reflector that you attach to the spokes of a bicycle wheel..

I was only thinking about these recently, good times! You get nothing for nothing these days.

:eek:

endacl wrote: »
    :eek:

now you're just rude:(
    :p:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

?width=605

Pencil toppers from Rice Krispies, these I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

darkdubh wrote: »
    Those hologram cards with Cornflakes,mid 80s where the card showed animals like a tiger,Rhino etc and when you tilted it became a dinosaur.
    They were fantastic. Can't find a photo of them anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The term for the pictures you tilt is "lenticular" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing

I saw a jesus one that turned in to mary in some €2 shop recently and looked up the term, never laid eyes on a tackier item.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

I remember gettingBlack Cauldron figurines in Corn Flakes around 1985 r so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

And the airliner models that came with Kellogs Cornflakes.I collected most of these apart from maybe the Lockheed which proved elusive.

http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Cornflakes/1980s/Airliner_Model_Kit/airliner_model_kit.html

We had loads of those. One of our aunts worked in a hotel so used to get us stuff from the cornflakes packs. I remember these models in particular!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

smurf492 wrote: »
    I remember gettingBlack Cauldron figurines in Corn Flakes around 1985 r so

I remember those too,had most of them,probably ended up being chewed by the dog.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Anyone remember those glow in the dark stickers of werewolves and vampires,was it Weetabix they came in?They were quite scary,the vampire one I think had all blood on his fangs,and he wasn't a human looking vampire either,some weird monster kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

:eek: I had totally forgotten about those...

The only one I can actually remember having was the Tristar, but then I was 5! ;) must dig out the old Lego box, am sure there'll be one or two at the bottom somewhere!

Anyone remember those glow in the dark stickers of werewolves and vampires,was it Weetabix they came in?They were quite scary,the vampire one I think had all blood on his fangs,and he wasn't a human looking vampire either,some weird monster kind of thing.

Weetabix,collected all of these apart from the one in the middle top row(don't know what its supposed to be).The artwork on them was great.

http://kylesarcade.tumblr.com/post/80774266731/weetabix-scary-stickers-1986-these-came-free-in

Another Weetabix promo I remember was the ones they did for the Star Trek movie circa:1979,I must have been 5 or 6 but I clearly remember my older brother collecting them.Pretty sure he'd all of the ones below.
    startrek.jpg

Also there were cardboard cutouts on the back of Weetabix packets of the Starship Enterprise and other ships.Not sure if they were on the same packets as the cards or if they were a later thing,maybe when Wrath Of Khan came out.

1980-Weetabix-Star-Trek-Action-Cards-USS-Enterprise1.jpg

Yeah for some reason theyre really hard to find.Theres a couple of Ebay links with them the first one has the full set.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/sis.html?_nkw=CIGARETTE%20TRADE%20CARDS%20Kellogg%20PREHISTORIC%20MONSTERS%203%20D&_itemId=110158552170

This one has the hippo and if you look closely you can kind of make out the effect where its changing to a Brontosauros.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KELLOGGS-PREHISTORIC-MONSTERS-AND-THE-PRESENT-HIPPO-CARD-NO-2-E13-/252065374497

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Managed to get the whole lot of them, iirc the T.rex/Lion one was a real pain to find.

Frosties did a sort of a water-filled game that looked a bit like a Gameboy. And Corn Flakes had these for 20p...

attachment.php?attachmentid=16972&d=1422370708

Rice Krispies had a van similar to the Kellogg's one for their 60th anniversary I think it was, and for something like £2 you could get a 1920's London Bus.

When the Corn Flakes vans came out, the demand was so much, Kellogg's sent a postcard apologising for the delay in sending them out.

Rice Krispies did an alarm clock as well, think it's still knocking about at home.

Advertisement