Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players Championship Finals it4 Friday 27th

Options
  • 23-11-2015 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Players Championship Finals coming up this weeking, Starting at 12:45 on Friday 27th on itv4 and Setanta Ireland

Supposedly this is a major, and its the last tournament before the worlds so should be a cracking tournament with a variety of players rather than the same ole top players.

Interesting stat: 4 of the last 6 winners of the Players Championship Final won the world's that year..

First round draw..

Cash Converters Players Championship Finals
    Friday November 27
    Afternoon Session (12.45pm-5pm)
    First Round
    Justin Pipe (16) v Vincent van der Voort (17)
    Terry Jenkins (11) v Alan Norris (22)
    Jelle Klaasen (10) v Gerwyn Price (23)
    Benito van de Pas (13) v Stephen Bunting (20)
    Mensur Suljovic (15) v Mervyn King (18)
    Brendan Dolan (14) v Simon Whitlock (19)
    Michael Smith (2) v Jamie Caven (31)
    Kim Huybrechts (5) v Daryl Gurney (28)

Evening Session (7pm-11pm)
    First Round
    Dave Chisnall (8) v Joe Murnan (25)
    James Wade (4) v Mark Webster (29)
    Adrian Lewis (6) v John Henderson (27)
    Robert Thornton (9) v Jamie Lewis (24)
    Michael van Gerwen (1) v Keegan Brown (32)
    Gary Anderson (12) v Phil Taylor (21)
    Ian White (7) v Raymond van Barneveld (26)
    Peter Wright (3) v Steve Beaton (30)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Really like this tournament, seems like such a fun weekend. It suits the Minehead venue better than the multi-board UK Open that also takes place there.

Bracket draw below. Everyone in the 3rd quarter will fancy their chances of a deep run. Nice to see a 'different' looking draw.

Michael van Gerwen (1) v Keegan Brown (32)
    Dave Chisnall (8) v Joe Murnan (25)
    Robert Thornton (9) v Jamie Lewis (24)

Kim Huybrechts (5) v Daryl Gurney (28)
    Gary Anderson (12) v Phil Taylor (21)
    James Wade (4) v Mark Webster (29)
    Benito van de Pas (13) v Stephen Bunting (20)

Michael Smith (2) v Jamie Caven (31)
    Mensur Suljovic (15) v Mervyn King (18)
    Ian White (7) v Raymond van Barneveld (26)
    Jelle Klaasen (10) v Gerwyn Price (23)

Adrian Lewis (6) v John Henderson (27)
    Terry Jenkins (11) v Alan Norris (22)
    Peter Wright (3) v Steve Beaton (30)
    Brendan Dolan (14) v Simon Whitlock (19)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Some nice looking first round matches there, wouldn't be very confident of Anderson beating Taylor, he's not looking in great form at present. I'd fancy Webster against Wade. Is it best of 11 legs first round?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

jamesbere wrote: »
    Is it best of 11 legs first round?

Yeah it is. Here's the full format:

First Round - Best of 11 legs
    Second Round - Best of 19 legs
    Quarter-Finals - Best of 19 legs
    Semi-Finals - Best of 21 legs
    Final - Best of 21 legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ComfortKid wrote: »

Supposedly this is a major, and its the last tournament before the worlds so should be a cracking tournament with a variety of players rather than the same ole top players.

Is it? Does anyone know what the actual majors are now because it seems to change every few weeks or with sky trying to hype a tournament(i.e. PL which I dont agree is a major)?

Ando Taylor 1st round.....not often we have a 1st round match like that and relatively short format, something Taylor isn't overly keen on.

Madness every weekend in Minehead by looks of it, heres the tent from weekend past lol
    12239942_1187582797922757_9213909334800693033_n.jpg?oh=4c9d8d37eeac63764979cc3c176bb12f&oe=56E90222

Devastator wrote: »
    Is it? Does anyone know what the actual majors are now because it seems to change every few weeks or with sky trying to hype a tournament(i.e. PL which I dont agree is a major)?

I think that its OK calling this a major, it is at least open to every player, on TV, decent prizefund etc.

Definite Majors. Worlds, Matchplay, Grand Prix, UK Open (though someone
    here disagreed with this one last week). Grand Slam from now on.

Marginal Majors. Players, European Championships.

Not Majors. Premier League, Masters, World Series and all such invitationals.

But tis all a bit of a farce anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Grand Slam from now on.

Will the Slam contribute to the Order of Merit from now now?

I would have always had the UK Open as a major because its a huge field and its an open draw. I would probably class the masters as more of a major than some others though because its limited to the top 16 only, best of the best kind of thing.

From this year GSOD counts towards rankings because its no longer an invitational event(players must qualify through winning tournament or qualifying day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Alan warriner mate some good points that every televised event is being called a major and its all a bit of joke..

Worlds, Matchplay and the grand prix for me are the only true majors...everything else not a hope regardless of sly sports waffle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Worlds, Matchplay and the grand prix for me are the only true majors...everything else not a hope regardless of sly sports waffle.

The GrandSlam has to be as well, 7 days long, massive prize money.

The GrandSlam has to be as well, 7 days long, massive prize money.

I think this one was of warriners main points, the prize money doesnt dictate if something is a major or not... also the fact that the BDO lads are in there means its not classed as a major imo.

• Advertisement

I think this one was of warriners main points, the prize money doesnt dictate if something is a major or not... also the fact that the BDO lads are in there means its not classed as a major imo.

What classifies a major so?

What classifies a major so?

The prestige attached along with the history of the event, its not difficult like look at golf the fedex cup winner lifts 12 million but it isnt a major.

simply putting something on telly and throwing money at the prizepool doesnt make it a major..by this logic every event on telly is a major.

The prestige attached along with the history of the event, its not difficult like look at golf the fedex cup winner lifts 12 million but it isnt a major.

What history or prestige is there for the GrandPrix?

No one knows really what a major is untill the PDC declare it.

But in my opinion, its the 4 ranking tournaments that last over 6 or 7 days and have big prize money.

What history or prestige is there for the GrandPrix?

No one knows really what a major is untill the PDC declare it.

But in my opinion, its the 4 ranking tournaments that last over 6 or 7 days and have big prize money.

Dont think we are gonna agree on this one... more darts on telly is good... MVG to pay for christmas .. with a double of this weekend @ 6/4 and the worlds @ 6/4 double..

I've sent uncle Bazza a message asking him.......and as I was typing rest of the message I got this reply

All events that are open to all players and televised are majors Wmp /WGP /UK /players / grand slam/euro/worlds.

From what I gather from other sports, they seem to class majors as the most decorative,longest running type tournaments but other sports define clearly which tournaments they class as majors whereas darts just seems to be based on opinions. Have the PDC ever came out and declared their majors or was it just something commentators/pundits/presenters have started to (hype) bring in line darts with other sports (i.e He's XX times major winner!)

*This is when I got reply from Barry...I'm not going back to rewrite anything though lol*

There were few other things I was going to say at this point but after getting that reply there doesn't seem much point....everything a major!!!

I've sent uncle Bazza a message asking him.......and as I was typing rest of the message I got this reply

All events that are open to all players and televised are majors Wmp /WGP /UK /players / grand slam/euro/worlds.

From what I gather from other sports, they seem to class majors as the most decorative,longest running type tournaments but other sports define clearly which tournaments they class as majors whereas darts just seems to be based on opinions. Have the PDC ever came out and declared their majors or was it just something commentators/pundits/presenters have started to (hype) bring in line darts with other sports (i.e He's XX times major winner!)

*This is when I got reply from Barry...I'm not going back to rewrite anything though lol*

There were few other things I was going to say at this point but after getting that reply there doesn't seem much point....everything a major!!!

I see he is applying to same logic as his son is in boxing.... everything is PPv... lol

I see he is applying to same logic as his son is in boxing.... everything is PPv... lol

Yep young Eddie brings the term arrogant to a whole new level! Did you see any of the Frampton/Quigg(boxing) press conference last week from Belfast? :D People in Belfast aren't overly fond of him lol vid's on youtube but its difficult to understand a lot of whats being shouted out(even I didnt get a lot of it lol)

Yep young Eddie brings the term arrogant to a whole new level! Did you see any of the Frampton/Quigg(boxing) press conference last week from Belfast? :D People in Belfast aren't overly fond of him lol vid's on youtube but its difficult to understand a lot of whats being shouted out(even I didnt get a lot of it lol)

Ive stopped watching the press conferences...seems to be one every day where the same old **** is trotted out by hearn..

will watch closer to the fight..

Good help us the day ol Baz passes away and Eddie takes over the darts. All the big tournaments will be paperview.

Ive stopped watching the press conferences...seems to be one every day where the same old **** is trotted out by hearn..

yeah they had 3 in 3 days last week, finishing in Belfast. Its easy to tell how pissed off Frampton camp were by the 3rd day with Barry McGuigan even turning around in the middle of it & saying "Eddie, You're an ar$ehole!" :D

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote:
    yeah they had 3 in 3 days last week, finishing in Belfast. Its easy to tell how pissed off Frampton camp were by the 3rd day with Barry McGuigan even turning around in the middle of it & saying "Eddie, You're an ar$ehole!"

Is this a boxing thread? :-/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads less of the boxing talk, this is a darts forum.

There's a huge difference between golf and darts, golf is done on ranking points and Darts is done on prize money. If golf was also done on prize money then the Fed-Ex cup would be a major. To put it simply, the tournaments that offer the most money towards the Order of Merit are majors. I thought this was quite obvious to be honest. They are the biggest tournaments as they offer the biggest opportunity to move up the rankings. That is why the Grand Slam has now become a major. It wasn't last year.

The top five PDC tournaments and the ones I would consider the real majors are The World Championships, The World Matchplay, The World Grand Prix, The UK Open and The Grand Slam.

You then have "mini-majors" for want of a better term that are The Players Championships and The European Championships.

The Premier League, The World Series of Darts and The Masters are all not majors as they are non-ranking events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I can't wait for the inevitable expert "is Justin's slow style putting Vincent off here" analysis on this one!

Kingp35 wrote:
    There's a huge difference between golf and darts, golf is done on ranking points and Darts is done on prize money. If golf was also done on prize money then the Fed-Ex cup would be a major. To put it simply, the tournaments that offer the most money towards the Order of Merit are majors. I thought this was quite obvious to be honest. They are the biggest tournaments as they offer the biggest opportunity to move up the rankings. That is why the Grand Slam has now become a major. It wasn't last year.

Kingp35 wrote:
    The top five PDC tournaments and the ones I would consider the real majors are The World Championships, The World Matchplay, The World Grand Prix, The UK Open and The Grand Slam.

Why do you put the UK open ahead of the Players Championship? Players has more prize money.

I agree though, events that offer big money like 100k+ are majors

Is this a boxing thread? :-/

Are you a mod now?

Why do you put the UK open ahead of the Players Championship? Players has more prize money.

Looks like The Players Championships has upped their prize fund, both The UK Open and The Players Championships now have a prize fund of £300k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Are you a mod now?

No, he's not.
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    Lads less of the boxing talk, this is a darts forum

But he is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

But he is

So am I.

Back to the darts please :)

Starting in the next few minutes on ITV4/Setanta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Woohoo darts, shopping in feet up all ready

Advertisement