Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Aldi Planning in Dunshaughlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Cllr Gerry O'Connor : An order has been made by An Bord Pleanala granting Planning permission for the Aldi Development in Dunshaughlin. Conditions have been attached which include 10% of proposed parking spaces will be with electric vehicle charging points, detailed design of the Lagore/St. Seachnalls Road junction, a Road safety audit completed and all recommendations incorporated in the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭maik3n

Fantastic news.

I wonder what kind of turnaround time we will be talking about.
    Opening this time next year perhaps? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

maik3n wrote: »
    Fantastic news.

I wonder what kind of turnaround time we will be talking about.
    Opening this time next year perhaps? ;)

6 months from when the first shovel hits the ground.

There are some works currently ongoing at top/far end of Maddens yard.
    Perhaps they are starting to look at re-organizing their car park since ALDI project is coming on stream soon? :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

There are some works currently ongoing at top/far end of Maddens yard.
    Perhaps they are starting to look at re-organizing their car park since ALDI project is coming on stream soon? :confused:;)

I think it is just the work vehicles for whatever work is going on at Mac's corner

• Advertisement

I think it is just the work vehicles for whatever work is going on at Mac's corner
    Funnily enough, I was in Maddens during the week and happened to overhear a conversation between a staff member and a customer.

When asked what the story was, the staff member confirmed that it was preparatory work they needed to do for water/electric/sewerage etc ahead of ALDI's construction process beginning. ;)

They didn't mention any exact timeframe but it looks as though we are on the right track. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Aldi's website lists August 2020 as the opening month for their Dunshauglin outlet.

The railings/fencing has gone up along lagore road/across from euro mart so it looks like things are finally moving on the build. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

On the Meath Chronicle website...

"Centuries old Dunshaughlin trees felled to make way for Aldi"

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/01/29/4184987-centuries-old-dunshaughlin-trees-felled-to-make-way-for-aldi/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saw 2 trees looked like they were pretty rotten in the middle. They were close to the road the others I have no idea.

Its a shame yes but its part of a process. Other trees will be planted in its place.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Saw 2 trees looked like they were pretty rotten in the middle. They were close to the road the others I have no idea.

Its a shame yes but its part of a process. Other trees will be planted in its place.

I have to agree with your comments above.

It's also ironic that there was no lamenting or an article in the Chronicle, when all the trees and hedges got cleared from the farm land near Clonee to make way for the new Facebook site. And that was done at a time of year when birds had built or was busy building their nests on said hedges.

Just for posterity. Our little shed is gone now. :P

th_28540_shed1_122_164lo.jpg

So things are moving along nicely with our project.
    Maddens car park has now been taken over. :cool:

So things are moving along nicely with our project.
    Maddens car park has now been taken over. :cool:

Was the Maddens car park on the Aldi land or what happened there?

Was the Maddens car park on the Aldi land or what happened there?

Yeah kinda!! As part of the planning application from both Madden's and Aldi, there was to be a land swap between to two, so both applications had to happen for the Aldi Store to be built. An area of land at the back of Maddens yard was given to Maddens from the Aldi site For a number of weeks (earlier this year) Madden's prepared this area as a new area in their yard. They then moved around their yard to make room in their existing yard for a new car park for Maddens. The Aldi site have now taken possession of Madden's existing car park (at the bus stop) and about the same size area as the car park in Madden's yard. The new Aldi store will be built on some of this area (outside Madden's front door) and will extent all the way behind Bank of Ireland / Liam Keane & Partners building to the Lagore road. Madden's entrance does not change, but now you'll have to drive into the back yard to park in Madden car park, on the upside, there will be no more messing with car park codes for Madden's to deal with!! There will be a pedestrian entrance from the main street local to the bus stop / bank into new the Aldi store, and I think there a pedestrian entrance between the two car parks (from the new Aldi car park into Madden new car park too).

514631.jpg

A picture paints a thousand words!!!
    Here's an artist's impression of the new Aldi Store looking from the main street.

Please note: the car (Renault Megane) is entering Madden's Arro car park & not Aldi - note the arrows on the sign post, indicating that the car park for Aldi is around the corner on the Lagore Road. This picture created a bit of discussion locally when it was published on the Meath Chronicle last year. I'm sure this will cause a lot of confusion in reality too.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2019/03/14/aldi-plans-to-have-dunshaughlin-store-open-in-early-2020/

If it looks.like that you can see why people would drive in that way.

Thanks for all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Id say the entry on the lagore road will be a disaster

Heard it will be April opening now.

I wouldn't be surprised, everything is taking longer to get done these day, however I think the foundations and sub-floor of the shop have been poured, so I think it could be before Christmas opening, that's Christmas this year! :rolleyes:

Has anyone heard if they found much in the site following the archaeological dig?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've a feeling it will be sooner than that, they work very fast with these builds, as long as there aren't any more lockdowns.

Fingers crossed it will be open by Christmas or January at the latest.

Saw on FB that its November now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Saw on FB that its November now.

Great stuff. Now the sooner the better the ring road is built so they can divert the chaos driving through the village once it's built.... :D

rizzee wrote: »
    Great stuff. Now the sooner the better the ring road is built so they can divert the chaos driving through the village once it's built.... :D

Well, it will probably be your grand children that will get to enjoy that ring road :rolleyes:

Main structure going up now, so November or perhaps earlier is looking very likely. :cool:

Main structure going up now, so November or perhaps earlier is looking very likely. :cool:

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like we will have to wait a little longer for the new Aldi store, Just seen an acticle on Joe.ie that Aldi are saying it will be the end of Feb 2021.

https://www.joe.ie/news/aldi-open-four-new-stores-ireland-creating-80-jobs-702526

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like we will have to wait a little longer for the new Aldi store, Just seen an acticle on Joe.ie that Aldi are saying it will be the end of Feb 2021.

https://www.joe.ie/news/aldi-open-four-new-stores-ireland-creating-80-jobs-702526
    Crumbs.

Mind you, it seems strange that they would specifically put the ''Coming Soon'' signs up this week, yet opening day is still 6 months away? :confused:

Crumbs.

Mind you, it seems strange that they would specifically put the ''Coming Soon'' signs up this week, yet opening day is still 6 months away? :confused:

It is disappointing, I have checked the Aldi Recruitment website, and it does appear that it's only Rathnew and Blanchardstown that will be opening in October.

https://www.aldirecruitment.ie/stores/

To be fare to the builders, there is a lot to do yet, It's great to see the walls almost all installed now, for those who haven't seen the site in the last few days, there has been a large crane on site for the last week or so, lifting into place precast walls for the shop. We should see the roof going on very soon, I expect the building should be fully closed in from the weather by the end of September. It's really then, the slow work of fitting out the whole shop starts, the car park and general landscaping around the whole site will take some time too. So October or November opening is optimistic, especially when you factor in the COVID19 HSE requirements.

New article on the Meath Chronicle, Aldi Ireland are looking for other locations in Meath, but I did notice a new finish date for the Dunshaughlin store is slipping a little more, it's now end of March 2021.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2020/10/28/aldi-ireland-seeking-more-supermarket-sites-in-meath/

• Advertisement

I missed this article on the Meath Chronicle posted just before Christmas, and it's good news!!!

They have pulled the date forward from March to now February for the new Aldi store to open. :D

I was looking at the progress just before Christmas and I was thinking it might open sooner, as it looks like the tills are in now. The carpark is still to be done, weather & COVID permitting we will soon have another supermarket to go to.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2020/12/22/aldi-seeks-staff-for-february-opening-in-dunshaughlin/

Advertisement